• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So there's no spoilers for today?

Yikes. I'm guessing Jace was supposed to be the spoiler but we already knew him from that dude who stole the SDCC cards.

So there's no spoilers for today?

Yikes. I'm guessing Jace was supposed to be the spoiler but we already knew him from that dude who stole the SDCC cards.

en_XApV2wwx6d.png
en_Om3f1BbwsL.png
en_aP2C6Not8b.png
en_HaMPpvhKJz.png
en_YHwjXwcuL0.png

I've felt that cards that cared about having multiples was something they should explore more, so I'm happy about these cards. Last one is a reprint, BTW.

Jace's origin story, which literally involves a school bully. Interesting that Alhammarret appears to be a planeswalker, but I was expecting for there to be a grand conspiracy or something. Now, it doesn't seem like there would be a major storyline reason for Jace to regain his memory.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I really would like to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting where they designed Horrible Hierarch and someone said "let's give him Vigilance so you can ramp" and then someone else is like "NO HE CAN'T HAVE VIGILANCE UNTIL HE IS RENOWNED!"

No. The renown status is not tied to the counter, I believe.

I guess its weird for me cause what if anafenza is out when this card comes down. It gets a counter but isnt renown, seems confusing. No way to tell if something is renown and so many cards that give a 1/1 counter especially in green.

monstrous was also a 1 time action, like stormbreath etc. After it became monstrous something happened, and it never happened again. With renown you have to remember its renown and the counter is not reliable for that.

Angry Grimace

Magic Origins: Remember the awesome cards throughout the game's history? Here they are again, but shittier. Enjoy!

Magic Origins is the baby version of good cards before they grew up into real ones

I guess its weird for me cause what if anafenza is out when this card comes down. It gets a counter but isnt renown, seems confusing. No way to tell if something is renown and so many cards that give a 1/1 counter especially in green.

monstrous was also a 1 time action, like stormbreath etc. After it became monstrous something happened, and it never happened again. With renown you have to remember its renown and the counter is not reliable for that.

Monstrous is basically the same type of mechanic except with Monstrous nothing ever happened that was specifically tied to the status of being Monstrous.

kirblar

en_XApV2wwx6d.png
en_Om3f1BbwsL.png
en_aP2C6Not8b.png
en_HaMPpvhKJz.png
en_YHwjXwcuL0.png

I've felt that cards that cared about having multiples was something they should explore more, so I'm happy about these cards. Last one is a reprint, BTW.

Jace's origin story, which literally involves a school bully. Interesting that Alhammarret appears to be a planeswalker, but I was expecting for there to be a grand conspiracy or something. Now, it doesn't seem like there would be a major storyline reason for Jace to regain his memory.
@oraymw went IN on this story on Twitter.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169662263]Undead Servant should have been a 2-mana 2/2 mythic :-([/QUOTE]

A Mythic that cares about stacking your decks with other Mythics seems like something WOTC would never design.

ultron87

Faerie Miscreant is a total trap for new players. They already love 1/1 flyers for one and this one has upside that looks really good, but is actually mediocre to just draw them in more.

kirblar

Uh, who is that and why should I care? I thought the story was fine, anyway.
He does those big limited set analyses on one of the sites. They're super good. (He also teaches English, I believe, which is where his issues with the story came in, specifically the bullying part.)

I really would like to have been a fly on the wall in the meeting where they designed Horrible Hierarch and someone said "let's give him Vigilance so you can ramp" and then someone else is like "NO HE CAN'T HAVE VIGILANCE UNTIL HE IS RENOWNED!"

I was going to say "natural vigilance on a monogreen creature feels weird" but then I looked it up and saw a fair number of green vigilance'rs printed in the last couple years. Why does green need vigilance? Feels weird.

Angry Grimace

I was going to say "natural vigilance on a monogreen creature feels weird" but then I looked it up and saw a fair number of green vigilance'rs printed in the last couple years. Why does green need vigilance? Feels weird.

Because green is the only color with Reach and Reach is garbage on a lot of creatures without vigilance.

Because green is the only color with Reach and Reach is garbage on a lot of creatures without vigilance.

There's only one monogreen creature with both vigilance and reach, though.
Anyway, the real answer is because they wanted to have vigilance appear on nonwhite cards and they determined that green would result in more unique vigilance cards, as opposed to blue, which would have the exact same sort of a vigilance cards as white. This decision happened back during Lorwyn.

And you guys are too hard on this set. Yesterday had a lot of exciting spoilers.

Crocodile

One thing I'll say is that they are really nailing the promo art. Pretty much all the promo versions of cards look better than their normal versions. Often the opposite it the reality.

Faerie Miscreant is a total trap for new players. They already love 1/1 flyers for one and this one has upside that looks really good, but is actually mediocre to just draw them in more.

Seriously. I thought they were going to stop printing trap/"skill tester" cards.

Vigilance has been in Green's color pie since Lorwyn. Also see this article written on creature keywords.

Angry Grimace

And you guys are too hard on this set. Yesterday had a lot of exciting spoilers.

The majority of us seem to care whether cards are good in Standard, Modern, Legacy or in its own Limited format. None of the cards from yesterday were any of those. Being able to say "this will go great in my Nekusar EDH deck" isn't something that gives me a chub. *shrug*

Firemind

To be fair, core sets have been universally tame, except that one time Lightning Bolt and Mana Leak got reprinted.

They should hire some better writers and artists though. Some of the shit I'm seeing is embarrassing. I don't really care about their origin stories, guys.

Angry Grimace

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169613354]M15 had:

Goblin Rabblemaster
Stoke the Flames
Nissa, Worldwaker
Perilous Vault
Radiant Fountain
Hornet Queen
Hornet Nest
Reclamation Sage
Soul of Theros
Pro Tour Top 8 God Card Genesis Hydra

Chord of Calling reprint
Painland reprints
Urborg Reprint

ORI has:

Strictly worse versions of every old card
Flipwalkers
...[/QUOTE]

The Flipwalkers suck outside of Liliana and Gideon anyways.

The majority of us seem to care whether cards are good in Standard, Modern, Legacy or in its own Limited format. None of the cards from yesterday were any of those. Being able to say "this will go great in my Nekusar EDH deck" isn't something that gives me a chub. *shrug*

This is why I sometimes feel like there should be a second Magic thread for people that actually play for fun. I feel like I'm off topic every time I post in this thread.

Angry Grimace

This is why I sometimes feel like there should be a second Magic thread for people that actually play for fun. I feel like I'm off topic every time I post in this thread.

The problem is that so many of these cards are worse versions of cards that already exist. When you play for fun, those original versions are legal and usually cheap.

Its not like I don't like casual cards as a rule. Here's a fairly random example of a card I really thought was fun for casual/flavor:

y9tQOi0.jpg

To me, there's a big difference between neat stuff like this (or Aggressive Mining, or any other number of neat cards that never saw play) and Jace's Basement.

Eh, it's really just like two posters that complain about power level.

And when it's not spoiler season, page after page of draft decks and event coverage reactions.

The problem is that so many of these cards are worse versions of cards that already exist. When you play for fun, those original versions are legal and usually cheap.

An EDH player never takes redundancy for granted.

And yeah, the set could be better/more creative etc, but I guess I'm like the guy who sees beauty in the pretty fat girl, I guess. I get off on a good vanilla creature FFS.

Angry Grimace

And when it's not spoiler season, page after page of draft decks and event coverage reactions.

An EDH player never takes redundancy for granted.

And yeah, the set could be better/more creative etc, but I guess I'm like the guy who sees beauty in the pretty fat girl, I guess. I get off on a good vanilla creature FFS.

It just feels so far like its Archangel's Light: the Set, where it was a short dev cycle and they were scared of printing Skullclamp somehow, so they made everything that could possible get busted bad and/or made them worse versions of cards people already liked (but might be broken).

Does low power level bug me? Yes, to a degree, but its mostly just that so far these just don't feel like interesting cards and the limited environment looks dull because there doesn't seem to be any coherent themes (we've seen an unusual number of commons/uncommons).

Firemind

I'll crush you with my Worldspine Wurms, fool.

On the topic of wurms, I just found out this card exists.

Image.ashx

Great wurm or greatest wurm?

y2dvd

Big Dave, the Hero-Maker
2G
Legendary Creature - Human Dude
Renown 3
When Big Dave becomes renowned, put a +1/+1 counter on each creature you control with renown that isn't renowned. They become renowned.
2/3

edit: ok, still doesn't make Heirarch awesome, but whatever.

Yeah I expect something like this or spells that gives Renown to creature that isn't renowned yet and yes, it still wouldn't be worth it. Expect Renown hate cards for limited.

OnPoint

All I've done so far today MTG-wise is sketch out ideas for my Tainted Remedy deck. This is the pool I've compiled so far, Modern legal. Rough sketch, seems fun, super casual.

Tainted Love
  • Crea-
  • x Wall of Shards
  • x Alms Beast
  • x Eternal Witness
  • x Dark Confidant
  • Ench-
  • x Tainted Remedy
  • Inst-
  • x Beacon of Immortality
  • x Nature’s Claim
  • x Congregate
  • x Devour Flesh
  • x Healing Leaves or Heroes Reunion
  • x Abrupt Decay
  • x Primal Command
  • x Rest for the Weary
  • x Condemn
  • x Oust
  • Sorc-
  • x Hunter’s Feast

You take that back!

Look in your heart. You know it to be true.

Nemesis is actually really rad, and one of my favorite sets ever. But MM is dull, and Prophecy? Woof.
My playset of Ports will buy me something nice someday though.

All I've done so far today MTG-wise is sketch out ideas for my Tainted Remedy deck. This is the pool I've compiled so far, Modern legal. Rough sketch, seems fun, super casual.

High-impact targeted lifegain is surprisingly scarce.

Angry Grimace

I'll crush you with my Worldspine Wurms, fool.

On the topic of wurms, I just found out this card exists.

Image.ashx

Great wurm or greatest wurm?

That's a cool idea, I just wish it was on something less fuck-all huge.

That's a cool idea, I just wish it was on something less fuck-all huge.

Really Demonic Tutor 2BB
Sorcery (M)
Research 2B (While you're searching your library, you may cast this card from your library for it's research cost.)
Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Imposing Will 2UU
Instant (R)
Research--Pay 5 life (While you're searching your library, you may cast this card from your library for it's research cost.)
Counter target spell.

Angry Grimace

Here's how you know I'm bored with Standard. This is the deck I'm running on Friday:

Creatures

4 Deathmist Raptor
4 Den Protector
4 Courser of Kruphix
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Fleecemane Lion
2 Hidden Dragonslayer
2 Warden of the First Tree

Spells

4 Collected Company
3 Dromoka's Command
3 Mastery of the Unseen
2 Valorous Stance

Land

4 Temple of Plenty
1 Blossoming Sands
4 Windswept Heath
1 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
5 Plains
9 Forest

SB:

2 End Hostilities
3 Plummet
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Reclamation Sage
2 Whisperwood Elemental

JulianImp

Really Demonic Tutor 2BB
Sorcery (M)
Research 2B (While you're searching your library, you may cast this card from your library for it's research cost.)
Search your library for a card and put that card into your hand. Then shuffle your library.

Imposing Will 2UU
Instant (R)
Research--Pay 5 life and exile five blue cards from your hand (While you're searching your library, you may cast this card from your library for it's research cost.)
Counter target spell.

Fixed.

I think this mechanic would either be underpowered and boring, or would lead to fetchlands being even more dominant as they suddenly become able to fetch spells for you as well as land for the low price of one life. Free spells you could play from your library would be a big no-no, IMO, since it could end up becoming phyrexian mana all over again on top of research spells themselves not even costing you a card from your hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom