• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirblar

I love that response. "38%? That's almost half!!"

It's 3/8. It's halfway between a quarter and a half. If the number is truly representative, it's fine. No sense trying to make it more than it is. Of course, the number might be suspicious in the first place, as kirblar pointed out.
Yeah, I don't have a probem with taking the number if it's the number- but that sounds like it's not really the number.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The implication is that the 38% includes everything up to simply knowing what Magic is. So my mom would count.

The actual percentage of people who play who are women is the most irrelevant stat in the universe

Glad to see I'm not obligated to be nice to women anymore.

EDIT: Original art for R&D's Secret Lair from Unglued 2.
tumblr_nqh6dknL0m1u9beo8o1_500.jpg

tumblr_inline_nqh6c09L801sao0wy_500.jpg

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169744469]
gclbbt7vihsysim.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Pretty interesting design. I'm guessing this means that Baneslayer Angel isn't in, since it would be odd to have another mythic angel, especially one so close in mana cost.

Newt

I feel like all the decks that would want to use honorable heirarch in standard are just going to continue using warden of the first tree instead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
RDW basically can't beat that Archangel other than by winning before it hits the board.

Pretty interesting design. I'm guessing this means that Baneslayer Angel isn't in, since it would be odd to have another mythic angel, especially one so close in mana cost.

There probably aren't any more white Mythics. Starfield, Gideon, Angel.

Jhriad

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169744469]
gclbbt7vihsysim.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's more like it. Of course I'm still expecting the rest of the set to be garbage but maybe we can turn this thing around. Is this spoiler season dragging on longer than the previous few? It feels like it but maybe my mind is just playing tricks with me.

Angry Grimace

That's more like it. Of course I'm still expecting the rest of the set to be garbage but maybe we can turn this thing around. Is this spoiler season dragging on longer than the previous few? It feels like it but maybe my mind is just playing tricks with me.

No, it keeps going through next week....

Matriox

Modern Masters 2015 only took a week for the full spoiler, probably what you're comparing to.

duxstar

Alright Boys, we might be ditching the green and going mono white, the best part about her is the synergy between her and Gideon (Kytheon) , if you can flip him and make her indestructible ..... Somehow she's going to end up in some U/W control deck, and my fun will be ruined and my g/w aggro deck that I wish was real isn't gonna happen. We've already wasted a mythic green spot on Nissa =[

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/uncharted-realms/jaces-origin-absent-minds-2015-06-24

Eh... I dunno how I feel about this origin story. It's not bad, but it's not great either. I don't like how they make Jace into some sort of Mary Sue "BUT I'M THE MOST POWERFUL" feel. :/

Uh, you weren't already getting that feeling from him? I felt the fact that he was being manipulated for so much of the story actually lessened that effect.

In any case, it may make you feel better to hear that Garruk inexplicably becomes immune to his powers and beats him up later.

Yeef

RDW basically can't beat that Archangel other than by winning before it hits the board.
Act of Treason or Harness by Force seems like the only way for mono-RDW to get through reasonably, but, RDW with a splash has plenty of cheap, reliable answers to it in black and white. Fiery Conclusion is also reprinted in the set, though it's far from ideal.

y2dvd

I know I've posted this before but my super budgeted Nivmagus deck went 3-1 again tonight and was such a blast, I had to post it again lol.

4x Nivmagus Elemental
4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Kiln Fiend
1x Akroan Crusader

4x Titan's Strength
4x Lightning Bolt
3x Manamorphose
4x Temur Battle Rage
4x Apostle's Blessing
4x Mutagenic Growth
4x Assault Strobe
4x Brute Force

15x Mountains

Matches
2-1 vs Melfork
2-1 vs Boros Burn
2-1 vs Tron
1-2 vs Grixis Twin

Nivmagus was pretty legit. Just had to eat one spell and he was dodging Lightning Bolt, Electrolyze, Kolaghan's Command, Grim Lavamancer, etc. I think I'll move Lightning Bolt to the sb and put in Gixtaxian Probe in instead. With Probe, Apostle's Blessing, and Mutagenic Growth being in here, it was basically Infect lite, but just more fun since it's so budgted. It's hysterical watching players get salty losing against this with their hella expensive deck. :D

I was able to T3 kill a few times. All I need to work on now is my sb. I only had 2 Rending Volleys against Twin and I think I need to bump it up to 3-4. Gonna stick and tweak the deck even further. Fun stuff!

OK, having actually read the article, the context of the quote putting the 38% statistic in question makes it clear that they distinguish between people who know of Magic and fans, and they know that 38% of fans are female.
There's 20 million fans. We've done a global study recently, and that's the number we're confidant in. "Fans" is based on awareness. We ask if people have ever heard of Magic, or if they ever played Magic in the past six months. And an astonishing statistic is that 38 percent who've answered "yes" are women, which is very surprising to us as it shows a shifting landscape in the demographic of people who play Magic.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm misreading the quote. Maybe these guys just aren't the right place to get this sort of information, given how they act in the rest of the article.

Newt

Someone who has simply heard of magic is a fan?

I guess people are also fans of the world's cruelest dictators then.

635707895987600002.png

Pretty boring for one of the uncommon gold cards. Still, 4/5 vigilance if it connects.

635707896043060642.png

Now this is something. Even on it's own, it's like a Scroll Thief that turns into a 3/5.

635707846588563446.jpg

Fine Limited kill spell.
EDIT: Oh, apparently this card depicts Liliana killing Archangel of Tithes and stealing her headdress.

OnPoint

Combos with Bitterblossom

It says "last turn" not "your last turn" so I don't think it does combo with Bitterblossom, unless I'm wrong here.

They did not nerf Voice of Resurgence. They turned Emmara into Voice of Resurgence because they wanted their Maze Runner cycle to be all at the same rarity. Then they made up a new ability last-minute for Emmara, and because they've been burned by last-minute changes before they deliberately made her suck. That's why the Elemental token doesn't look anything like Voice of Resurgence, but looks suspiciously like what's sitting behind Emmara.

EMWJthD.jpg
H4lWW4T.jpg
cEbEoIS.jpg

I get that they didn't "nerf" it. I guess I should have said they nerfed Emma. Anyway, I don't get why they didn't just let her be better than the rest of the maze runners. Voice as a legend and as a rare would have leveled that card out some.

Cockatrice is great because it's free and you can test whatever, but man the randoms really have no sense of competition.

sarkeezy20arep.png

Kicked on turn 3 for casting entomb >:|

Definitely not the first time, too. Why even sit on cockatrice testing your tier-one netdecks if you're not willing to play against combo?

And here I thought cockatrice was going to be better than FNMs. Even at the GPT my first round opponent conceded like 4 turns into the first game because my cards were too expensive. Why even show up to a GP Trial if you're not interested in competition?

Lately it feels like the only place I can get decent matches is grinding PPTQs or dumping a bunch of money into modo. Probably why I just watch cfb's youtube channel and goldfish against myself.

I just want to play people that care about beating me. The vintage people on cockatrice are pretty cool, but there aren't always games available.

Angry Grimace

It says "last turn" not "your last turn" so I don't think it does combo with Bitterblossom, unless I'm wrong here.

I get that they didn't "nerf" it. I guess I should have said they nerfed Emma. Anyway, I don't get why they didn't just let her be better than the rest of the maze runners. Voice as a legend and as a rare would have leveled that card out some.
Sure it does. You just get the token on your opponents turn.

It's the David Sirlin "scrub" mentality. A significant number of the game-playing populace put arbitrary restrictions on how the game "should" be played because it absolves themselves of any responsibly to actually get better at the game. It happens in every game on the planet, not just Magic.

Angry Grimace

It's the David Sirlin "scrub" mentality. A significant number of the game-playing populace put arbitrary restrictions on how the game "should" be played because it absolves themselves of any responsibly to actually get better at the game. It happens in every game on the planet, not just Magic.

Sometimes I just don't wanna play another aggro deck *shrug*

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";169754114]Cockatrice is great because it's free and you can test whatever, but man the randoms really have no sense of competition.

sarkeezy20arep.png

Kicked on turn 3 for casting entomb >:|

Definitely not the first time, too. Why even sit on cockatrice testing your tier-one netdecks if you're not willing to play against combo?

And here I thought cockatrice was going to be better than FNMs. Even at the GPT my first round opponent conceded like 4 turns into the first game because my cards were too expensive. Why even show up to a GP Trial if you're not interested in competition?

Lately it feels like the only place I can get decent matches is grinding PPTQs or dumping a bunch of money into modo. Probably why I just watch cfb's youtube channel and goldfish against myself.

I just want to play people that care about beating me. The vintage people on cockatrice are pretty cool, but there aren't always games available.[/QUOTE]

I hate to sound like a broken record, but why do we not test against each other here on MODO? If you already have the cards, you don't need to pump a ton of money into it. I'd love to test my Zoo or Grixis Delvers in modern. If you're stuck on playing Legacy, we can test over Cockatrice.

We have some pretty decent players ITT. I mean, sure, they're not beating LSV on the regular like you are, but few people can live up to GB's might.

Toxi

Banned
Ironically, David Sirlin hates Magic.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but why do we not test against each other here on MODO? If you already have the cards, you don't need to pump a ton of money into it. I'd love to test my Zoo or Grixis Delvers in modern. If you're stuck on playing Legacy, we can test over Cockatrice.

We have some pretty decent players ITT. I mean, sure, they're not beating LSV on the regular like you are, but few people can live up to GB's might.

I have basically 0 cards on modo, my collection is all paper.

I'm HeebyGB on cockatrice if anybody ever wants to play, I'm always tweaking my deck library.

Don't be dissuaded by rumors of my invincibility. They might be true, but I'm a gracious competitor regardless.

Now in Street Fighter I'm a complete jackass even when I'm losing. Which is far more often than not.

Matriox

So far I'm 1-0 vs Jeff Hoogland and Craig Wescoe, but I'm 0-1 to Owen Turdenwald and Joe Lossett...

EDIT: Oh and 1-1-1 against Noah Swartz but I don't think he plays anymore. He made me sound like a dick and not everything was entirely truthful here but he did write an article with my name in it. (round 8)

I need to make a notice on my Deckbox profile or something. Every little trade I try to make and it instantly turns into the other guy demanding my snapcasters or duals.

I have all this stuff from your want list, but you have to go for the same two things? -_-

I feel like a lot more trades would have gone through if I just didn't put $50+ cards on my tradelist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom