• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT4| Izzet Me; Izzet You? A Love Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matriox

Let's play the "what cycle fits here?" game!

243 -
244 - Battlefield Forge R
245 - Caves of Koilos R
246 -
247 -
248 - Llanowar Wastes R
249 -
250 -
251 - Shivan Reef R
252 - Yavimaya Coast R

Ravnica Allied Bouncelands fit, lol.

mm248_trilands.jpg

Let me try that again. Lol :p I don't think it's trilands.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Given the rest of this set, its probably Evolving Wilds and a mythic land that doesn't do anything interesting.

Yes I know Evolving Wilds is in DTK thank you

243 - Azorius Chancery
245 - Caves of Koilos R
246 - Dimir Aquaduct
247 - Gruul Turf
248 - Llanowar Wastes R
249 - Rakdos Carnarium
250 - Selesnya Sanctuary
251 - Shivan Reef R
252 - Yavimaya Coast R

Fits with the painland theme of "doing the exact same thing as the last set"

Also means the guildgates fit.

y2dvd

LOL the dual cycle is the same one from M15

en_KZzRzrdaWl.png

en_G7iY2B7HW0.png

Sideboard card to kill Ojutai, I guess.

en_iT7HXQz7eM.png

Painland? I feel like WotC is just trying to piss on us lately with MM15 and so far what's spoiled for Origins. No more pushed cards anymore I guess.

Flame Javelin is a one of in burn decks. This card may replace it. The only downfall is that it's at sorcery speed.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
They'd be worse versions of cards that already exist in the standard environment.

IE get ready to cry yourself some piss.

Jhriad

Will anyone be interested in playing origins on PS4 when it releases?

I will.

I was certainly hoping for a more interesting dual land cycle, but wasn't it obvious that we were getting some sort of reprint in that slot?

Obviously we were getting a reprint but everyone expected/hoped to see a cycle reprinted that wasn't just reprinted. Hell, the last printing will still be in a standard legal set when Origins hits.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/origins-pain-2015-06-25 said:
The lands so nice we printed them twice. . . in a row.

Filed under the "if it isn’t broke. . ." slot for the final core set is the rare cycle of multi-color producing lands that are returning from Magic 2015: the enemy-color pain lands.

It feels like "if it isn't broke" is the theme for this whole set. Push out a bunch of underpowered/EDH dross and hope people like BFZ better.

Firemind

Flame Javelin is a one of in burn decks. This card may release it. The only downfall is that it's at sorcery speed.
Since when was Flame Javelin a one-of in mono red decks? It's kind of annoying they weren't willing to make it an instant, since Flame Javelin is a better card in mono red and it's uncommon.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Obviously we were getting a reprint but everyone expected/hoped to see a cycle reprinted that wasn't just reprinted. Hell, the last printing will still be in a standard legal set when Origins hits.

Also, it would have been fun to have a cycle of lands that directly referenced each of the Planewalker's home planes.

duxstar

Seeing my amazing ability to open Painlands in almost every core set pack I open, and the value on them being incredibly low, I might not be drafting this set much. Other than the 1 angel the set has been disappointing to me (so far). That green mythic rare is so bad, guess wizards decided that green was doing too well lately.

OnPoint

Also, it would have been fun to have a cycle of lands that directly referenced each of the Planewalker's home planes.

Still could.

Horizon Canopy - Theros
Grove of the Burnwillows - Zendikar
Nimbus Maze - Vryn
River of Tears - Innistrad
Lavaclaw Reaches - Kaladesh
because that cycle is already done

But seriously, I really want to know what they've going to picked.

Matriox

Still could.

Horizon Canopy - Theros
Grove of the Burnwillows - Zendikar
Nimbus Maze - Vryn
River of Tears - Innistrad
Lavaclaw Reaches - Kaladesh
because that cycle is already done

But seriously, I really want to know what they've going to picked.

I wouldn't bet on them going 4 out of 5 like that. Graven Cairns would be your Rb and doesn't fit the crunch.

Edit: Seems like that's intentional. Carry on.

OnPoint

I wouldn't bet on them going 4 out of 5 like that. Graven Cairns would be your Rb and doesn't fit the crunch.

Seems like that's intentional. Carry on.

I just thought it would be funny to reprint a manland nobody plays into the face of people asking for manland reprints, because it seems like something they'd do. I wasn't seriously suggesting that.

If we're getting any TSP duals, it'll likely be one reprint, and the other 4 in a matching style, like Grove of Burnwillows plus 4 allied-color lands that give your opponent life.

"You will see many people with vials activate it at the end of their opponents turn and then not do anything with it. They just do it to keep the opponent on their toes, like you are saying."

14082nqq0.gif

Firemind

I just thought it would be funny to reprint a manland nobody plays into the face of people asking for manland reprints, because it seems like something they'd do. I wasn't seriously suggesting that.
I once won a PTQ with four Lavaclaw Reaches, bro. Give it to me.

OnPoint

If we're getting any TSP duals, it'll likely be one reprint, and the other 4 in a matching style, like Grove of Burnwillows plus 4 allied-color lands that give your opponent life.

I would absolutely love if they did that.

I once won a PTQ with four Lavaclaw Reaches, bro. Give it to me.

People used to win with Serra Angel too, doesn't mean it's the angel that needs a reprint today. But still, that's pretty cool.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I would absolutely love if they did that.

People used to win with Serra Angel too, doesn't mean it's the angel that needs a reprint today. But still, that's pretty cool.

Serra Angel is being reprinted in Origins....sorta

"Engineered Explosives + Thalia:
You will only be able to cast EE for zero if you have a way of generating colorless mana.
For everything above zero, Thalia doesn't really do much. For instance, if you want to set EE on one, you choose X=0 and then pay for Thalia using a colored source of mana."

14082nqq0.gif

G.ZZZ

"We are fixing red not being only burn"

The signature planeswalker only burn pre and post flip and the chase rare is an uncounterable flame Javelin. Ok WotC. Second best color at manipulating sorceries and instants
happytears.gif

Well tbf this set seems to be incredibly uninspired in general so whatever. I'll wait.

Angry Grimace

"We are fixing red not being only burn"

The signature planeswalker only burn pre and post flip and the chase rare is an uncounterable flame Javelin. Ok WotC. Second best color at manipulating sorceries and instants
happytears.gif

Well tbf this set seems to be incredibly uninspired in general so whatever. I'll wait.

Flame Javelin is an instant.

OnPoint

I mean it's a free creature and fixes mana. It's not rocket science.

Wait what? I'm not saying it would be a bad move per se. I get why the man lands are good. But the ones people want reprinted are the ones seeing play (Colonade, Tar Pit, Ravine and to a lesser extent, Wildwood). I'm just saying it would be amusing if the one they did pick to reprint is the one that sees absolutely zero play in any format.

Angry Grimace

Its gonna be garbage for limited fixing like Unknown Shores or something or a Mana Confluence reprint.

CIXHuaxUsAA_YZu.jpg

Who doesn't love more garbage

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
So if you find a way to Donate that after using the first 3 abilities does your opponent just lose the game? Its a pretty cool card in general. Seems pretty decent if you have a reliable way to sacrifice it or bounce it anyway.

Angry Grimace

I don't know what it says about a card if you're trying to figure out ways to use Donate on it.

Crocodile

Demonic Pact isn't "good" but its kind of awesome. Liliana midriff powers activate :p I feel like I do remember it from the YMTC poll.

Would you be happy with piss coming out of your face? Then you'd probably enjoy reprints of these cards.

Hey man I don't fucking know. Not often do people say "tears of ____" and not mean tears of joy but since piss is usually a bad thing I got thrown off :/

Those lands getting reprinted would be great for Peasant Cubes at least

So will this be fun to draft?

What do we think

We know too few commons/uncommons to answer this question

Firemind

Wait what? I'm not saying it would be a bad move per se. I get why the man lands are good. But the ones people want reprinted are the ones seeing play (Colonade, Tar Pit, Ravine and to a lesser extent, Wildwood). I'm just saying it would be amusing if the one they did pick to reprint is the one that sees absolutely zero play in any format.
People want them because they're played in eternal formats. That's not a good enough reason to reprint them though. Personally, I don't think they belong in standard since their effects are too powerful. They're basically more powerful Mutavaults. They should have printed them in MM2015.

I can't believe I didn't see it before.

243 - Ancient Tomb
245 - Caves of Koilos R
246 - Karakas
247 - Library of Alexandria
248 - Llanowar Wastes R
249 - Mishra's Workshop
250 - Rishadan Port
251 - Shivan Reef R
252 - Yavimaya Coast R

ORI redeemed.

Angry Grimace

Demonic Pact isn't "good" but its kind of awesome. Liliana midriff powers activate :p I feel like I do remember it from the YMTC poll.

Hey man I don't fucking know. Not often do people say "tears of ____" and not mean tears of joy but since piss is usually a bad thing I got thrown off :/

Those lands getting reprinted would be great for Peasant Cubes at least

We know too few commons/uncommons to answer this question

Liliana sacrificed her soul to demons to sequentially gain 4 life, get a free Mind Rot, and a free Divination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom