• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magicka |OT| I'm not a vampire.

When Torchlight was released there was a lot of buzz on the web. This seems to be the case with the new Action/Adventure game from Paradox. Yesterday, according to the Steam stats there were more people playing this game and the demo than Dead Space 2.

http://www.magickagame.com/

Price: $9.99 US

Demo Available!

Features:

From Steam page:
* Innovative and dynamic spell casting system
* Up to four-player co-op in all game modes, as well as a single-player option
* Fight your way through 13 different campaign levels
* Explore an expansive realm of adventure to defeat the evil wizard
* Find and unlock challenges, items, and powerful Magicks
* Experience the parody and satire of a clichéd fantasy world

Release Date: January 25, 2011

System Requirements:

* Operating system: Windows XP/Vista/Windows 7
* Processor: Intel® Pentium® IV 2.4 GHz or AMD 3500+
* Memory: 2 GB RAM
* Hard disk space: 2 GB Available HDD Space
* Video: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900
* Direct X-compatible sound card
* DirectX® 9
* 3-button mouse, keyboard and speakers
* Internet connection for multiplayer

Reviews:

Game North 83/100
PC IGN 7.5/10
3D Juegos 7.4

Screenshots:

Magicka%202010-07-09%2017-09-58-88_0.png

Magicka%202010-07-09%2017-25-00-28.png

shinki

Neo Member
Brilliant, brilliant, game. I just hope they're proactive in fixing the bugs, as it is currently pretty much unplayable online, it crashes all the time and the single player mode is massively unbalanced as it was clearly designed as a multiplayer game.

Davidion

There was some glitches with forced controller setup nonsense, but when I played the demo, shit was fun.

I can imagine the chaos with groups. lol

Sectus

A lot of fun but also horribly buggy. I can't get a coop game going for more than 10 minutes, I always get disconnected or a crash. But hopefully it'll be fixed soon. I imagine this can become one of my most favourite coop games.

Mrbob

I played the demo and I love mixing all the elements together for magical attacks. It is a cool concept. Game is a little buggy though. Two times in the demo I had to restart in the first room because the game wouldn't recognize my sword attack so I couldn't cut the rope to move on!

Game has to be insane fun in co op.

Sloane

Banned
JoeBoy101 said:
So does that mean this year's Diablo 3 ... is... Diablo 3?
This year's Diablo 3 is next year's Diablo 3.

Also, Magicka has multiplayer so it can't be this year's Torchlight!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Sloane said:
This year's Diablo 3 is next year's Diablo 3.

Also, Magicka has multiplayer so it can't be this year's Torchlight!
What if Diablo 3 is this years Torchlight, and Torchlight 2 is this years Magicka?

I'll be the first to admit that my keyboarding skills suck, so I'm a little worried about the whole magic type bound to keys around WASD thing. Will I need a lot of finger dexterity to play this game well?

Mrbob

$9.99

The Quiet Man said:
I'll be the first to admit that my keyboarding skills suck, so I'm a little worried about the whole magic type bound to keys around WASD thing. Will I need a lot of finger dexterity to play this game well?

I only played it with mouse and keyboard so far and didn't have any issues. You can pre load up to 5 element commands before conjuring your spell.

Going to try out the demo with my 360 controller tonight. Heard good things about playing the game with it.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Watching the trailer, looks rather repetitive. I'll wait until it's $2.50 on some magical Steam sale. On the other hand, I'll pay full price for Torchlight II at launch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's certainly a ton of fun even when playing alone!

I bet it's even better multiplayer.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Lasthope106 said:
That was my intention from the beginning, but I'm a complete noob at making OTs.

Ask a mod for a rename to something with the OT tag.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I hate Diablo and has been pretty indifferent to Torchlight but this game is insanely fun. I'm gonna buy it as soon as money hit my bank account.

derFeef

Perfect thread title ;)
Also I love this gibberish language mixed of all differend kinds of nordic languages and whatnot. Suprenga!

Ferrio

Banned
Tons of a bugs, but actually was able to get multi working last night and it was hilarious

Some my favorite spells.

Direct Damage Spell of Doom - Water Cold Water Cold Water Cold Water Cold Earth. Right click and charge
Aoe Damage Spell of Doom - Water Fire Water Fire Water Fire Water Fire Earth. Right click and charge
Frozen Lightning Shield - Cold Lightning Cold Lightning Shield (shift + right)
Volcano Barrier - Fire Earth Shield (right click)

Ferrio

Banned
Bebpo said:
Is this game any fun 1p? All the footage is coop so it's turned me off from picking it up.

It's still entertaining, but coop really shows how chaotic and hilarious the magic system is. Most deaths will come from your friends (as well as being saved). Me and a friend crossed beam several times on accident blowing each other up. Also getting each other caught up in our shields was fun.

Mrbob said:
$9.99

I only played it with mouse and keyboard so far and didn't have any issues. You can pre load up to 5 element commands before conjuring your spell.

Going to try out the demo with my 360 controller tonight. Heard good things about playing the game with it.
Does this auto recognize a wired 360 controller? I didn't see that feature listed on the Steam store page.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
EvilMario said:
Watching the trailer, looks rather repetitive. I'll wait until it's $2.50 on some magical Steam sale. On the other hand, I'll pay full price for Torchlight II at launch.

Repetitive? There are over 4000 spell combinations, it's anything but.

Also it has the master sword, complete with energy attack when at full health.

magicka2011-01-2600-12zm5h.jpg

And yes, as you walk up to the pedestal, forest creatures prance across your path.

Ferrio

Banned
It's the ultimate griefing game.

See your friend shooting a beam? Charge your sword with a shield, then fire a shield from your sword and watch him beam himself in the face.

derFeef

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, so if I buy copies of this for my brother and I, what issues are we likely to run into playing co-op?
Devs said (Steam Forums) there is a multiplayer patch coming today, so maybe wait a bit? I also read it works fine with Hamachi.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
derFeef said:
Devs said (Steam Forums) there is a multiplayer patch coming today, so maybe wait a bit? I also read it works fine with Hamachi.
I was going to wait until this weekend, so awesome!

The spell combination system reminds of me of the heavily underrated Lost Magic on DS, except with far more flexibility and options. This is going to be so sweet.

When is the console release? I played the demo on Steam and loved it, but I'm more interested in playing it local co-op on xbla if that will be possible.

bee

so it this game really good then? i'd normally not give a second thought about buying it as its an action rpg and its a measly £8 but the mythos closed beta starts tomorrow so i think i need convincing, will try the demo later at least

Mrbob

Reluctant-Hero said:
Does this auto recognize a wired 360 controller? I didn't see that feature listed on the Steam store page.

I'm not sure, I hope so! Won't be able to test it out till later tonight.

bee said:
so it this game really good then? i'd normally not give a second thought about buying it as its an action rpg and its a measly £8 but the mythos closed beta starts tomorrow so i think i need convincing, will try the demo later at least
Just try the demo. It's interesting (I'd say unique, but I don't have the depth of PC game knowledge that would qualify that statement) and really fun. I also found the demo challenging--but that may have a lot to do with my unfamiliarity with the controls. Moving from WoW to this is a mindfuck. "lol smiley"

I think I'll just end up picking it up for Steam and then buying it again on XBLA. I love Paradox (as a publisher) because they get out unique games from smaller developers and I think they deserve support. Especially since I haven't gotten around to buying the new EU3 expansion yet.

Top Bottom