• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Skullface

Finally it's our turn

https://twitter.com/clamberton7/status/560116632329388032

B8XvG_6IcAAbnrw.jpg:large

Boston-Gaf here.

We buried.

We buried.

Boston GAF checking in. I hear we're supposed to get even more on Friday/Saturday. When will it end?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Boston GAF checking in. I hear we're supposed to get even more on Friday/Saturday. When will it end?
Just a few inches, I think. But then again, that's what they said about this storm a few days ago.

There's always going to be people who don't think a storm will be as bad as the weatherman says. It behooves everyone (especially administration who has people's lives in their hands) to err on the side of extreme caution, which is not at all the same as "crying wolf."

Ask Mayor Reed and Governor Deal how they feel about the topic.

Yeah, I'd rather they be prepared and have the storm veer a little to the west or east than not be prepared and then have the nerve to tell the weather guy that didn't give them enough warning. It''s weather FORECASTING after all.

I'm exhausted and I haven't even shoveled out my cars yet north of Boston. What I have done is spent 90 minutes shoveling paths in the backyard so the dogs can piss. Man, Cats are so much easier.

I'm exhausted and I haven't even shoveled out my cars yet north of Boston. What I have done is spent 90 minutes shoveling paths in the backyard so the dogs can piss. Man, Cats are so much easier.

Tell me about it. My dog refuses to go outside to shit even though I've dug trenches for him every few hours.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Most of Eastern MA is still expected to get another 3-6 inches before all's said and done around 7-9pm or so.

Knoxcore

Got just over a foot here on the Queens/Nassau border. Would have loved to see 3 feet but shoveling is a pain. Not a bad storm tbh.

SimleuqiR

De Blasio's sign language guy is hilarious. It helps that he looks a bit like Johnny Depp. Watching the press conference on ABC and I see people with shopping bags from Century 21. The winter storm served a good excuse. Parks are open but caution is advised.

Also, this snowstorm was overhyped to oblivion. The street outside my building by the Hudson Parkway in Washington Heights is cleared. A friend who works at the Flushing Target told me that he saw one customer's cart overflowing with nothing but cereal.

signlangauge1.gif

Who's we? Because I don't. The convenience for City people and school kids don't make up for the amount of headache these storms cause to homeowners, long distance commuters, the utilities companies and the sort.

Seems pretty shortsighted to want a major storm to happen, because from your vantage point it may look like "fun".

1. get off your high horse.
2. this is shit ton of money in overtime that we don't need to be spending in this city right now to what amounted to a dusting.
3. I live in a city for exactly reasons like this, so I don't have to be a resource hog and demand that my driveways are plowed because I have to drive my precious car. yes, train tracks need to be cleared as well but there is nothing wrong in coming to work late. world isn't going to end. better for the forecast to be right and actually spend the money and man power than constantly miss forecasts. plus it's fucking fun.

I wonder if us New Yorkers will get a true blizzard like 96 again.. oh well on to the next.

uh, 2010? two of them?

Thank goodness for my neighbor helping me with his snowblower- snow drifts were up to my knees (~2 ft). I'm 6'1 and this was a legit snowstorm in Suffolk County.

Dr Prob

Banned
21 inches here (north of Boston) and still snowing, albeit lightly.

In retrospect, instead of going back to sleep I probably should have employed the two-pass approach to clearing this shit. As it stands I'm struggling.

Good z's though.

okno

2010 had 2 monster back-to-back blizzards that shitted on 96. And then ANOTHER one 3-4 weeks later for good measure.

Those storms in 2010 fucking SUCKED. One of the worst winters of my life for so many reasons and those storms only made it worse.

Walking home from work at 4am last night was a blast. Got to walk up the middle of 6th Avenue all the way from Spring St. to 39th St. Not a single car on the road, it was so surreal.

newjeruse

Those storms in 2010 fucking SUCKED. One of the worst winters of my life for so many reasons and those storms only made it worse.

Walking home from work at 4am last night was a blast. Got to walk up the middle of 6th Avenue all the way from Spring St. to 39th St. Not a single car on the road, it was so surreal.
It's so nice and quiet today everywhere in the NYC area. It really makes any zombie apocalypse very appealing.

1. get off your high horse.
2. this is shit ton of money in overtime that we don't need to be spending in this city right now to what amounted to a dusting.
3. I live in a city for exactly reasons like this, so I don't have to be a resource hog and demand that my driveways are plowed because I have to drive my precious car. yes, train tracks need to be cleared as well but there is nothing wrong in coming to work late. world isn't going to end. better for the forecast to be right and actually spend the money and man power than constantly miss forecasts. plus it's fucking fun.

1. What high horse? Not wanting a blizzard, understanding how forecasts work and not being bothered by safety precautions is a high horse? I'll ride it then.
2. What are you even arguing about? Cities don't have roads? Cars don't drive in the city? I demand my driveway to plowed? Precious car? Cars are luxury items now?

The city is going to lose money regardless and measures were taken for the people's safety.

Define "fun".

Sonicbug

The wind here (south shore) has really tapered off compared to earlier. Which is good, because I don't want to have the power go out. We've been lucky so far.
So much snow.... and it's still coming down. My car is stuck in a five foot high drift in the driveway. =/

Just finished snow blowing I think. Cleaned the cars, did my driveway, did my neighbor's drivewa. I think this storm is done in central mass. We've gotten 33 inches so far in Worcester... Supposed to get 2 - 4 more tonight. Probably the most snow I've seen in a single day in my life.

vatstep

YES, work is cancelled tomorrow too! Kind of surprised, but I'll take it.

Just blasted my face for an hour with the snowblower. Snowbank was at least 5 feet high at the end of the driveway. Damn city plows! Schools cancelled again tomorrow. Blizzard still going in the Portland Maine area.

Looks like a regular Tuesday to a Canadian here... Only problem is you guys don't have the infrastructure in place to clear it out in a timely fashion so everything just stops.

terrisus

I really think most people can't estimate snow totals worth a shit. A friend who lives 6 minutes away claims to have 18 inches of snow. :\

That's not the only thing that people can't estimate inches for.

Looks like a regular Tuesday to a Canadian here... Only problem is you guys don't have the infrastructure in place to clear it out in a timely fashion so everything just stops.

*Certain areas don't.

In other areas - as you can see in this thread - people are just like, "That's it?"

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
2 dudes offered to shovel my whole driveway and walkway for 25 bucks. Well worth it nowadays :)

Me and my high school buddies used to do this way back in the day. We would only charge $10 bucks a house. On big snow days we could make over 100 bucks. Now a older guy on a 4 wheeler with a plow attachment comes around and charges $25.

vatstep

It's now officially the biggest January snowstorm ever in Boston — 23.3" so far.

Well, this ended up being a historic storm. 33.5 inches in my city. Highest 24 hour snow total and most snow from a single storm for Worcester. Lunenburg, a town to the north of here, for 36.5 inches... jesus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom