• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

5amshift

Banned
A Boston-based meteorologist was saying Boston could see 5-12in of snow from the Monday storm early this morning on Twitter.

wat.

Well yeah we did have snowfall this morning, but that was nothing. More snow will start here in the North Shore apparently in an hour and will only accumulate about 1.5 inches.

NateDrake

wat.

Well yeah we did have snowfall this morning, but that was nothing. More snow will start here in the North Shore apparently in an hour and will only accumulate about 1.5 inches.

About a half foot from the first, 30" from the 2nd, another 3-6" for most next 36 hours, maybe another 5-12" Monday, then next Wed PM?

https://twitter.com/ericfisher

He is usually pretty good with his predictions and doesn't like to attach numbers early on.

NateDrake

Via Twitter: Early thoughts on Monday snowfall. Looks to start after midnight Sunday. Cold enough for all snow.

B8oAFGbCAAAZJMU.png

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Looks more and more likely that the Boston area will be seeing another significant storm on Monday (luckily, it holds off until most Super Bowl drunk drivers are off the roads). Most forecasts are now saying 9-16" widespread from around midnight through the following afternoon. It'll be very light, fluffy snow, at least.

Velcro Fly

Yep that storm is hitting Chicago tonight/tomorrow. Estimates went from 1-3 a couple days ago to 8-12 right now.

I can recall times last year when we already had 8 or 10 inches on the ground and got like another 15 inches.

Mesoian

Cops came by the house with a backhoe, started clearing out the street now that all the cars are gone from people doing stuff. I just hope they get both sides of the street instead of just the side the school is on.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I certainly wouldn't mind having the day after the super bowl off from work.
Here's hoping. I already have the day off, but it's always better if everyone else does, as well; less catching up to do.

Grocery stores are going to be unbearable tomorrow. Lunatics doing panic/storm shopping + Super Bowl prep + normal Sunday busyness = insanity.

Mully

4-8" area wide with pockets of 12"+. Icing is going to be a major issue for the area Monday afternoon. Temperatures are going to be below freezing at the surface but above freezing in some pockets of the atmosphere.

this has been such a weak winter. only another month and a half and its all over.

i've probably gotten less than 12" of accumulation here in poughkeepsie all season.

terrisus

this has been such a weak winter. only another month and a half and its all over.

i've probably gotten less than 12" of accumulation here in poughkeepsie all season.

Winter over in mid-March?

The calendar season?
Sure.

The snow?...
How long have you lived up here?...

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
2 to 5 inches for NYC, right? That I could deal with. It turning into freezing rain is gonna be a bitch.

Winter over in mid-March?

The calendar season?
Sure.

The snow?...
How long have you lived up here?...

Up where? Hudson Valley? 20+ years.

We barely get any snow in March. Two or three years ago it was in the 80s for two weeks in March.
I definitely consider March as winter winding down.

lordmrw

I'm also in RI, I'm not expecting that my job will cancel work but delay it to 11 again. Doesn't matter either way, I'm gonna use this as an opportunity to test out working from home.

terrisus

Up where? Hudson Valley? 20+ years.

We barely get any snow in March. Two or three years ago it was in the 80s for two weeks in March.
I definitely consider March as winter winding down.

Well, yeah, certainly winding down.
But there's always the April Fools' Day "Surprise Blizzard!" possibility :þ

In other news, my wife's work (driving job in Meriden, CT) cancelled for tomorrow already.
Let's see if we actually get a decent amount of snow this time.

Mesoian

Yeah, it's coming down in sheets in Boston. Around 6:30am, it got BAD.

I'm currently stuck at work. I'm just hoping my train doesn't get cancelled before it shows up, I have almost an hour to wait.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I'm at work in Mt Vernon, got in around noon. The weather seems to have gotten worse since then, so the drive home should be fun.

From reddit

k0WNapV.jpg

B line shut down as trains cant go up hill
Braintree line shut down due to frozen rail
Possibly entire red line shut due to inability to cross the river
Orange and blue, 30 minute delays
All commuter rail lines, multiple trains cancelled

Silver line.....running just fine.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
7 train in NYC was shut down for awhile (still limited service I think) due to a frozen third rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom