• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Major East Coast Storm to Hit Mid-Atlantic and New England Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrisus

Florida here. Still jealous of you all.

I uh, had to put on a light jacket today? It;s 55 out right now. Where's my snow guys?

A light jacket for 55?
That's t-shirt weather.

Heck, I went outside to let the dog use the bathroom today in Connecticut in a t-shirt.
Granted, I was only out there a few minutes, but still.

1. What high horse? Not wanting a blizzard, understanding how forecasts work and not being bothered by safety precautions is a high horse? I'll ride it then.
2. What are you even arguing about? Cities don't have roads? Cars don't drive in the city? I demand my driveway to plowed? Precious car? Cars are luxury items now?

The city is going to lose money regardless and measures were taken for the people's safety.

Define "fun".

1. the one you're on. if some random dude starts rooting for snow stop acting as if he wants people dead. get over yourself.

2. it's always suburbanites that complain about shoveling snow, far more than someone living in a big city like NY. here most people just have a car to drive out of town not for their daily commute.

3. "fun" in this case would be not having to hear people whining about snow and cold when they have lived their whole lives in an area where it snows and gets cold every year.

Wag

Holy shit. It's past 12AM Wed morn and it's still snowing here in Metro West Boston suburbs. We have well over 30" easy. Won't it ever end?

Mully

I would love to move to Boston.
Take me with you.

I always thought you were from Boston. Where are you from?

Also ended up with 20" here in eastern Nassau county in NY. My sister got 28" about 30 miles east of me. The Twin Forks of Long Island got upwards of 30-36" in some places.

Looks like it was a historic storm for Boston and a bust for Eastern NJ and NYC. Forecasters and weather weenies like myself relied on the Euro too much and didn't see the warning signs days before hand that this wouldn't be a historic storm for Western NY metro. The biggest warning sign was a positive NAO. A negative NAO is a really great indicator that particularly the NY metro will see a very active snowstorm period. The NAO is transitioning to a negative period right now, but it was positive before and during the storm. Stepping back from the Euro and using the positive NAO truth serum would have probably saved many forecaster's credibility.

Going forward, it looks like forecasters will have to take the very recently upgraded GFS seriously for east coast storms (it used to have a 50 miles eastern bias) and rely less on the models and more on their meteorology degrees. The Euro may have predicted Sandy, but it was too far west according to six consecutive consistent model runs here.

Overall, we learned that models are great GUIDANCE tools and average forecast tools. The best forecasts come from meteorologists who analyze all of the models, including the long range NAM; which may be retired soon, and use their own observations and expertise to predict a storm. That said, there does need to be more funding for forecast model upgrades. Storms have increasingly become far too dynamic for models to have a consensus on(<<<Climate change). Upgrades are needed, but meteorologists and amateurs need to rely less on models.

Tawpgun

My college and gf's college and most colleges in the boston area have today off too.

Except Harvard. Where I'm working this semester.

Fuck off nerds, even MIT has off

Mesoian

20150128_1014571luc5.jpg

Man, I'm not even trying to deal with this right now.

terrisus

I always thought you were from Boston. Where are you from?

From Northampton, MA, although I'm stuck down in Meriden, CT now.

Both my parents are from the Boston area though (Medford and Rockland), so have spent a decent amount of time out there (not to mention regular trips to Boston Children's Hospital when I was younger, and Brigham and Women's and Dana Farber over the past 4 years)

North Shore Boston here. I think we finished with about 26" of snow. Work was cancelled for me again which is pretty awesome. Finally got out of my house this morning to go to the gym. Side roads are pretty bad still but I got 4WD so can't complain. Just drove to Salem and man are the roads narrow--almost down to one lane in some spots.

LProtag

I think the plow came, but only on the other side of the street.

So basically I have to shovel out through a huge snowbank to the road. Great.

Mesoian

Walking back home this morning to see peoples futile attempts at unburying their cars

Yup. Chelsea looks like they fucked up royally when it came to plowing. Major roads not done, public works areas like bus and train stops not touched, there's a 15 foot hill of snow in the middle of hte intersection from private plow people pushing all the snow from people's driveways into the middle of the street. It's a pretty big mess.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Hearing that "sidewalks still need a lot of work" in the city has me not looking forward to commuting and running errands the rest of the week.

Another concern is that, as of now, another "major" storm may be coming on Monday. With the temps a bit warmer, it could be wet snow, or rain, which would make for an absolute mess. It's going to continue to be cold, so nothing is going to melt before then, and adding more on top will just be bad.

5amshift

Banned
In work today, but there's a few of us in the office. Northshore Massachusetts here, and yeah roads are narrow as hell and were still not really plowed all the way this morning.

I'm lucky enough to have a condo complex where I park under the building, so no shoveling for me this morning.

Hearing that "sidewalks still need a lot of work" in the city has me not looking forward to commuting and running errands the rest of the week.

Another concern is that, as of now, another "major" storm may be coming on Monday. With the temps a bit warmer, it could be wet snow, or rain, which would make for an absolute mess. It's going to continue to be cold, so nothing is going to melt before then, and adding more on top will just be bad.

There's one on Friday too. Accuweather is saying just 1-3 inches along the coast, but my local news is forecasting 6" to a foot. :(

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
There's one on Friday too. Accuweather is saying just 1-3 inches along the coast, but my local news is forecasting 6" to a foot. :(
Yeah, I was being self-centered and just thinking about Boston proper, where it doesn't look to be anything of note – just a couple of inches like you said. Monday, though, who knows.

Wag

478134956_C360_2015_01_28_13_12_42_708_122_910lo.jpg

My poor car! Bastards working in the condo parking lot kept plowing me in. It took me almost 90mins to dig myself out. lol

Gonna have to do some more cleanup on Saturday if this thing is coming in. I'm in the 12" range, and I got 34" on Tuesday, plus about 3 this morning. ~50" of snow in a week might be near a record for us.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I had drifts up to six feet and patches were I could still see grass, making an accurate snowfall total hard. It's probably a bit above two feet, so 25-27 inches. The seawall broke in my town and 11 houses went off their stilts. Camera crews were there in force the rest of the week. Some of the wind gusts were insane, 75 MPH and above. Didn't lose power though and most of the trees stayed up because of the heavy wind/heavy snow affair from two years ago took those down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom