• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Rich!

I always thought the first sword upgrade looks better than the final sword upgrade.

yep

but it doesn't last :( What is worth remembering is that this sword will be far easier to use in MM3D:

Fairysword.png

Being a c-button item meant it was a pain to use in MM64...but on this version, you will be able to set it to the Y button!

SegaShack

Definitely don't do this unless you want the game freezing on you while you were in the middle of a side quest on day 3.

Virtual console is the best version of the game right now.

The Cube version is actually considered the worst version.

Yeah, if you don't mind the game crashing and losing all your progress.

Zelda collectors edition is the worst way to play MM.

Played through the game multiple times and it never crashed. It looks fantastic too, especially on my PVM monitor.

Neiteio

Played through the game multiple times and it never crashed. It looks fantastic too, especially on my PVM monitor.
It apparently depends on your GameCube. Newer revisions (and the one found in the Wii) don't appear to have the freezing or sound-skipping issues.

ALM5252

It apparently depends on your GameCube. Newer revisions (and the one found in the Wii) don't appear to have the freezing or sound-skipping issues.

I had a launch GameCube when I did my first play through in 05-06. I never had any freezing or glitches, plus I played with rumble which supposedly increased the chance of glitches.

I did encounter a freeze on the Virtual Console version once though. It was in Great Bay. :/

Kinsei

Banned
yep

but it doesn't last :( What is worth remembering is that this sword will be far easier to use in MM3D:

Being a c-button item meant it was a pain to use in MM64...but on this version, you will be able to set it to the Y button!

Or they'll let you switch between the gilded sword and the Great Fairy sword like the master and Biggoron swords in OoT.

Well looking at the video and seeing this picture makes me believe it. The laundry pool is extended and brought further back.

6tZewKBA4h9T3Rt6m6YwHja4WphhS.jpg

Good catch. I didn't even think to check out that map. It looks to me like there's a new area in between South and North Clock Town and that North Clock Town is much further north than it previously was.

Rich!

I hope there's a quicker way to make those clone statue things. Playing that song a million times got so annoying.

Best solution: Once youve played each ocarina song for the first time, you can play it again by pressing the corresponding button on the touch screen when the ocarina is used.

To be honest, I adapted to being able to play it stupidly fast so I dont mind either way.

zeldablue

Best solution: Once youve played each ocarina song for the first time, you can play it again by pressing the corresponding button on the touch screen when the ocarina is used.

To be honest, I adapted to being able to play it stupidly fast so I dont mind either way.

Yep, I can play that song at mach speed. Cutscene skip for songs would be cool. They already have a skip for the mask transformations, why not put that in for the songs too...?

zeldarocks

Neo Member
crossposted from the other majoras mask thread:

Nothing's been confirmed, but:

0uWTNdd.png

1. you can see right into east clock town, and it looks like you can run through it seamlessly. there's no transition area.
2. the route to the laundry pool has been put back enough to allow the area to fit in behind that wall. compared to the N64 version, its significantly changed:

Y2bRnel.png

why would they make this change if not to have the entire laundry pool area fit behind it?

41j6gQs.png

3. the area behind the clock tower goes back much, much further - again, this means the entirety of east and west clock town can fit behind the walls without any "cheating" like the n64 version used.

so yeah, the evidence is there, and it makes sense. why implement those changes otherwise? Also, the 3DS is more than capable of rendering the whole thing at once. Being able to traverse clock town without having to endure loading transitions in every section would be a significant improvement. In addition, various ledges, building sides and doorways have been adjusted - why would they do this if not for ensuring the entire town is seamless?

Anyone else agree on this?

I'm confused, what "cheating" was involved in the N64 version?

And why is the spacing important?

Making areas bigger then they would. Since it would be loading a whole new area instead. The laundry pool would be colliding with the other part of clock town if they were loaded at the same time.

zeldablue

Remember the thread someone on Neogaf made that described Majora as the craziest Nintendo villain in history, I agree.

Majora's even freakier when you think about how he is probably representative of the hidden repressed hatred in Link's own heart.

He's got some serious inner demon problems. :S

Basically the maps were designed to look like they connect between each area properly, but a lot of that is just aesthetic trickery as each area is a separate map. Clock Town N64 is actually nonsensical in terms of actual physical layout. e.g. some areas are too big or too small in relation to each other, realistically they could not connect, some areas would overlap etc.

Here's an example of this from another game. Notice how it's literally impossible to make this area seamless without completely redesigning the layout.

Grief.exe

Basically the maps were designed to look like they connect between each area properly, but a lot of that is just aesthetic trickery as each area is a separate map. Clock Town N64 is actually nonsensical in terms of actual physical layout. e.g. some areas are too big or too small in relation to each other, realistically they could not connect, some areas would overlap etc.

Here's an example of this from another game. Notice how it's literally impossible to make this area seamless without completely redesigning the layout.

Vanilla Wow was another good example.

zeldarocks

Neo Member

Well, I would think all you would have to do would be to create some empty space where the loading zone would be. Right?

EDIT: Oh, now I see it, the exits/entrances aren't parallel to one another.

Jamix012

Majora's even freakier when you think about how he is probably representative of the hidden repressed hatred in Link's own heart.

I think you're going to need to explain this theory for me to buy it. I am genuinely curious.

BTHR Zero X

Clock_Town_Map.png

zeldarocks

Neo Member
Good catch. I didn't even think to check out that map. It looks to me like there's a new area in between South and North Clock Town and that North Clock Town is much further north than it previously was.

Wow, when comparing it to the original map at the Post office, you can definitely tell that east and south have been connected.

http://imgur.com/AQ3H1Ta

Here's the Clock Town mac courtesy of the Versus Books guide.

http://imgur.com/L7PY0qZ

Bagu

He grew up as an outcast in his village, is forced on a quest by his dying surrogate father, is engaged to a fish, had 7 years of his life taken on arbitrary rules that ONLY apply to him, finds out he was lied to all his life right after his best friend is effectively dead, is sent back in time in a vain attempt to reclaim his childhood, abandoned by his fairy companion with no reason given, and finally falls down the rabbit hole into Crazyville.

Hero of Time gets the short end of the stick.

zeldablue

I think you're going to need to explain this theory for me to buy it. I am genuinely curious.

It's an extremely long theory...but I guess I can try to summarize.

Koizumi smacked his worldview onto the game. The game has a lot of themes that follow along with existentialist, humanist and buddhist ideas. The game starts off saying this is Link's personal and secret journey...meaning this is the journey he'd rather no one know about. Only the Royal Family knows it. The main theme of the game is the mask/face motif. In China, they are many words for face/mask. All of the definitions are figurative definitions for: reputation, esteem, social status, image, and persona. This seems to indicate that Link is nothing more than a facade and that he's secretly searching out who he is without his mask on. He seems pretty depressed and outcasted.

The other main theme is Hide and Seek. The game starts and ends with Hide and Seek. In Japan, the game hide and seek is called "Catch the "Oni." Oni means demon, but it also means outcast or foreigner. Link feels extremely alienated and isolated from society. The game hops back and forth between calling Link the Oni and calling Majora/Skullkid the Oni. Honestly, you're not sure who is seeking and who is running. In the beginning it seems like Link is seeking but by the end Majora claims Link is the one running away. This is confusing and makes the two characters seem one in the same.

On the subject on alienation, barely any of the character know Link's name, and they always forget Link's name when he goes back in time...which just makes Link permanently realize how insignificant he is around others...they can't remember him and he is forever the outsider.

In Buddhism, the heart is something that needs to be controlled. If you let you're heart control you then you will be sucked into a cycle of suffering that you can't control. You will be tortured by demons that you created yourself because of your attachments. In Link's case, he's a bit clingy when it comes to friendship, which is his main "sin." Majora is Link's heart taking control of him after he's become pretty depressed and isolated. Majora is shown being extremely screwed up, abusing friends and having a desire to kill everyone including himself. All of this seems to indicate that maybe Link hid himself because of his hidden feelings being too much of a burden for most of his friends in Hyrule. Which is why he needed Navi, she's the only friend who would understand why Link is so screwed up. The Happy Mask Salesman would have kept the mask safe, but Skull kid's history of rejection caused him to take over the mask and dominate over everything, including Link.

Skull Kid is a representation of the rejected aspects of Link's self. Skull kid embodies all of the traits Link refuses to see in himself. Skull kid is Link's shadow and inner self. Most of Link's rejected traits are childish, emotional, lonely and self-loathing. He cannot stop Skull kid until he confronts Skullkid and genuinely forgives him, for being who he is.

The moon is a manifestation of repressed fears and anxiety that Link has been holding onto and internalizing for several months. The fact that everyone tries to ignore the moon parallels Link's own desire to ignore his fear, while knowing it's controlling his life. In Shadow Therapy, the only way for the "therapy" to end, is for the person to be "consumed by his shadow" or befriend the shadow. If Link screws up, he is consumed by the moon and dies, if he befriends his shadow, then he accepts his full self. The good and the bad. Afterall, maybe something "bad" isn't bad unless we label it as such.

When you finally confront the moon, Tatl won't allow it. Tatl represents the "superego" or inner critic, who focuses harshly on the past and future along with self-image. Tael talks her out of it by finally growing a backbone in their relationship. Tael is the repressed shut-up id, while Tatl is the loud overdeveloped superego. When they finally see eye to eye, Link goes into the moon. This shows that the balance with Link's mind is very off...he was deeply trying to repress parts of himself that he labeled as evil.

The inside of the moon is the unconscious mind and probably/maybe nirvana. There is no time there, only bliss. And when Link is there, he can clearly see the source of his childish hatred and he kills it.

The game is about Link figuring out his identity after basically losing all of his identity and meaning to life at the end of OoT. And desperately clinging to an old friend and hating that friend for abandoning him when he still needed her. Luckily, he finds a friend within himself, and he is able to go home with peace of mind and "true happiness," after letting go of what was hurting him. The kid was probably deeply traumatized and clinically depressed.

This is all figuratively speaking though. Symbolism and all that. :p

He grew up as an outcast in his village, is forced on a quest by his dying surrogate father, is engaged to a fish, had 7 years of his life taken on arbitrary rules that ONLY apply to him, finds out he was lied to all his life right after his best friend is effectively dead, is sent back in time in a vain attempt to reclaim his childhood, abandoned by his fairy companion with no reason given, and finally falls down the rabbit hole into Crazyville.

Hero of Time gets the short end of the stick.

Exactly...:C

Neiteio

I genuinely can't wait to play what is, to me, a brand new Zelda :)
All the MM veterans envy you. Although it will be refreshing to revisit this game since there's still nothing quite like it. Especially with the fresh coat of paint, improved performance and added functionality. :3

Rich!

That is weird, I get freezing, poor framerate and sound issues while playing the collectors disk on my wii.

So did I. I got a full lockup after snowhead temple whilst playing the collectors disc on the Wii!

It doesn't matter what you play it on, it's crappy emulation.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Man, that fat spoiler block up there made me realize, it had to be pretty rough for Link after OOT. Spending a few days/weeks living as an adult, saving the world, then being zapped back like it never happened, and having to live with it. He's seen some shit, and he's only ten. Lotta baggage there, lotta feelings with no proper outlet. I can totally see Majora's Mask as an outlet for a lot of that, and understand why he went on a journey to find Navi, the only "person" in the world who shared that experience with him, and remembers any of it. Really it was more a journey to find himself, than anything.

But given that we know he becomes the Hero's Shade... it's a really fucked up ending there innit. He continues wandering in the woods post-MM, and as the Kokiri say, those who get lost in the Lost Woods eventually become Stalfos. He, in his grim form, tells the Hero of Twilight that he laments never being remembered as a hero. Did he truly resolve anything in Termina? Did he live a long life and unfulfilled life, only to die and become the shade, or did he become a spirit in the woods not long after Majora's Mask, and haunt Hyrule for an eternity, yearning for a future that could never exist?

Fucked up dudes!!!

Neiteio

Man, that fat spoiler block up there made me realize, it had to be pretty rough for Link after OOT. Spending a few days/weeks living as an adult, saving the world, then being zapped back like it never happened, and having to live with it. He's seen some shit, and he's only ten. Lotta baggage there, lotta feelings with no proper outlet. I can totally see Majora's Mask as an outlet for a lot of that, and understand why he went on a journey to find Navi, the only "person" in the world who shared that experience with him, and remembers any of it. Really it was more a journey to find himself, than anything.

But given that we know he becomes the Hero's Shade... it's a really fucked up ending there innit. He continues wandering in the woods post-MM, and as the Kokiri say, those who get lost in the Lost Woods eventually become Stalfos. He, in his grim form, tells the Hero of Twilight that he laments never being remembered as a hero. Did he truly resolve anything in Termina? Did he live a long life and unfulfilled life, only to die and become the shade, or did he become a spirit in the woods not long after Majora's Mask, and haunt Hyrule for an eternity, yearning for a future that could never exist?

Fucked up dudes!!!
All about dat silver lining, which in this case is being a badass glowy-eyed skeleton warrior with a sweet spirit-wolf form

(Seriously, though, your post made me think. Didn't make the possible Stalfos/Shade connection before -- neat theory!)

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
All about dat silver lining, which in this case is being a badass glowy-eyed skeleton warrior with a sweet spirit-wolf form

I wonder how he lost that eye.

Poor Hero of Time, idolized and remembered forever in a timeline he's not a part of.

Neiteio

I wonder how he lost that eye.

Poor Hero of Time, idolized and remembered forever in a timeline he's not a part of.
We need a sequel to MM completing the Hero of Time trilogy (and called Ocarina of Time 2 so they make serious bank -- think of how the Lords of Shadow trilogy named its entries), and in it Link can lose an eye and become grizzled and wear an eye-patch because reasons

zeldablue

Fucked up dudes!!!

I cried for a long time after I got the final hidden skill.

But then no one believed me when I said it was the Hero of Time back in 2006.

Neiteio

I cried for a long time after I got the final hidden skill.

But then no one believed me when I said it was the Hero of Time back in 2006.
No one believed zeldablue's theory about a videogame, so she wandered the woods outside her house trying to discover her true self, only to stumble into a parallel universe full of imagery representing her repressed feelings, after which she turned into a badass glowy-eyed skeleton warrior with a sweet spirit-wolf form, and posted on NeoGAF

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I hope we get some more "fun Masks" added in, ones that don't change the game radically, but do silly stuff...like give us access to the Mario Mask the Happy Mask Man has, which changes sound-effects to Mario noises when you wear it.

Actually, if there is Amiibo support, having each Smash Amiibo unlock a different Nintendo-themed mask (with little easter eggs like sound effects and new dialogue from NPCs) would be sweet.

zeldablue

No one believed zeldablue's theory about a videogame, so she wandered the woods outside her house trying to discover her true self, only to stumble into a parallel universe full of imagery representing her repressed feelings, after which she turned into a badass glowy-eyed skeleton warrior with a sweet spirit-wolf form, and posted on NeoGAF

"Go and do not falter, my child!" >:D

Weird that Link has dialogue....

I hope the remake leaves room for more fan theories. :p

Rich!

I hope we get some more "fun Masks" added in, ones that don't change the game radically, but do silly stuff...like give us access to the Mario Mask the Happy Mask Man has, which changes sound-effects to Mario noises when you wear it.

Actually, if there is Amiibo support, having each Smash Amiibo unlock a different Nintendo-themed mask (with little easter eggs like sound effects and new dialogue from NPCs) would be sweet.

Yep! I hope they do this.

Put a Captain Falcon amiibo on the reader and you get a falcon mask, complete with captain falcon speech samples!

Neiteio

There should be a Reggie Mode that turns the moon into Reggie and as it gets closer it keeps saying "My body is ready" in a highly compressed low bit-rate sound sample.

Rich!

There should be a Reggie Mode that turns the moon into Reggie and as it gets closer it keeps saying "My body is ready" in a highly compressed low bit-rate sound sample.

Or a reggie mask that doesn't do anything but when characters talk to you and ask for help you just shrug and say "not my problem"

Tookay

Fucked up dudes!!!

Everybody uses this quote to imply that kid Link became a Stalfos, but what you run across in TP Hyrule is a golden wolf, not a Stalfos. It's only the dream segment that you see he looks like a Stalfos. If he had become lost in the woods, he would have become a Stalfos in the normal world. So I doubt normal Kokiri rules apply.

I'd argue that the Shade's origin doesn't have much to do with the Stalfos legend at all. It's just that they took design cues from Stalfos in making him, just like Fi's designers took cues from the Great Fairy Child. Neither of them have any connections beyond the artistic inspiration.

Not to mention, he's clearly an adult/knight in the dream-world incarnation (and missing an eye), which seems to suggest he at least lived into adulthood and became a proper warrior (learning skills he didn't possess as a child). So what we have here is a lingering adult spirit.

In the end, you're right that it's still fucked up, because he dies with regret and stuff, but I think he lived at least into adulthood and had many sorts of adventures from the clues presented. He didn't get lost in the forest forever, because he isn't presented as a normal Stalfos.

Neiteio

Or a reggie mask that doesn't do anything but when characters talk to you and ask for help you just shrug and say "not my problem"
Ha, actually, it just occurred to me, maybe they'll add a Mii Mask

And speaking of Miis, I wonder if they'll add Miiverse integration to this game, similar to the Tingle Bottle in TWWHD

A fun AR mode that allows you to project the Moon into real-life would be a neat bonus, as well :p

Neiteio

I could never decide what looks cooler, the Captain's Hat or the Garo's Mask or the Circus Leader's Mask with its constant stream of tears

Top Bottom