• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Majora's Mask 3DS announced!

Pyrokai

You got some TP spoilers in there...

Midna was pretty PO'd. And the sages in TP are not the ones Link awoke in the adult timeline. Saria, Darunia, Ruto, Impa, Nabooru and Rauru weren't needed in the Child's timeline. The sages in TP seem to be more like arbiters/executioners anyways.

OoT/MM Link didn't interfere with Ganondorf in the Child's timeline. I think he learned his lesson and let everyone else handle the problem after he fudged the Adult Timeline. >__>

Fixed the spoiler problem. Wasn't even thinking, thanks.

What do you mean "fudged the Adult Timeline" exactly? Didn't he save Hyrule? :p

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I don't understand why Nintendo can't release these remakes on the Wii U.

PLEASE

PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD

Neiteio

PLEASE

I gotta have my 3DS version. MM3D will be the psycho emo sister to the polo-and-khaki prince that is OoT3D.

That being said, I would not oppose there also being an HD version on the eShop, and by that, I mean MM3D assets in 1080p with lots of AA.

And then an Amiibo line for both versions, featuring every character in the game, naturally!

zeldablue

Zelda sent Link back to his original time so that he could prevent Ganondorf from doing what he did to the Adult Timeline.

From Hyrule Historia:

The Hero of Time’s Return
By rewinding the time of his 7 years sleep with Zelda’s power, Link returned to his original time.
He now went to Hyrule Castle’s courtyard. Princess Zelda was watching Ganondorf as before when they first met.

Notice of the Future
Link told Princess Zelda what will happen in the future. She listened and so to prevent Ganondorf from entering the Sacred Realm, entrusted Link with the Ocarina of Time and instructed him to leave with it.
This time, the back of Link’s hand was shining with the proof of the Triforce of Courage. Finished with the battle with evil from the future world, the hero carried the burden of the secret journey.

Whenever Link, Ganondorf and Zelda are in the same area a whole bunch of terrible crap goes down. Link straight up leaving with the "keys" to the Sacred Realm, was the best alternative to preventing fate from repeating.

So this means Hyrule was always better off with Link hiding in his treehouse. Since Ganondorf used Link to get to the Triforce initially. :\

Neiteio

I anticipate the next update on this game will be... first week of January. Reason being, the Hyrule Warriors MM DLC is scheduled for January. They could talk about both in the same Nintendo Direct. And if they want to maintain WiiU momentum coming out of the holidays, throw in another Zelda WiiU teaser for good measure. No need to divulge story details -- that can wait for E3, or GDC at the earliest -- but another E3-length teaser would be enough to keep the fans atwitter after Christmas.

georly

PLEASE

Because to look good on Wii U they'd have to do a lot more work and i'd rather them spend that time and money making new zelda games instead of remakes/remasters.

Please nintendo, for the love of god, keep doing what you're doing and don't waste time and money remaking n64 games to meet current console graphic standards, thanks.

I anticipate the next update on this game will be... first week of January. Reason being, the Majora's Mask DLC is scheduled for January. They could talk about both MM3D and the MM DLC for Hyrule Warriors. And if they want to maintain WiiU momentum coming out of the holidays, throw in another Zelda WiiU teaser for good measure. No need to divulge story details -- that can wait for E3, or GDC at the earliest -- but another E3-length teaser would be enough to keep the fans atwitter after Christmas.

My god, it all makes sense. Where were the conspiracy theorists when we needed them?

Neiteio

My god, it all makes sense. Where were the conspiracy theorists when we needed them?
I edited my quote for clarity. I'm referring to MM DLC in Hyrule Warriors. It comes out in January, so I imagine it will be spotlighted in a Nintendo Direct that month, and while they're at it, they'll give us our next update on the 3DS remake/remaster/port. :)

(And hopefully more on Yoshi's Wooly World, criminally missing in action during the most recent Nintendo Direct!)

georly

I edited my quote for clarity. I'm referring to MM DLC in Hyrule Warriors. It comes out in January, so I imagine it will be spotlighted in a Nintendo Direct that month, and while they're at it, they'll give us our next update on the 3DS remake/remaster/port. :)

(And hopefully more on Yoshi's Wooly World, criminally missing in action during the most recent Nintendo Direct!)

I know what you meant. Why couldn't we see the signs when they announced hyrule warriors dlc!?

Neiteio

I know what you meant. Why couldn't we see the signs when they announced hyrule warriors dlc!?
Yeah, in hindsight, it does seem like the presence of MM DLC for Hyrule Warriors, in January, should've raised a few eyebrows. Now we know it's probably timed that way because MM3D will come out mere months later.

(Now Sakurai needs to add an extravagant Clock Town stage to both the 3DS and WiiU versions of Smash, and announce it in the same Direct. Alternatively, promote Skull Kid to playable character!)

TP Link doesn't have it visible on the farm; it only reveals itself once he's dragged into the Twilight Realm, and by that time, Hyrule's already conquered by Zant, so nobody is going to "treat him like royalty" at that point. (Not to mention Ordon is a neighboring province, so maybe they don't understand the significance of the Triforce.)
Yes it does:

tp_art_link03.jpg

Link_in_Ordon_Village_by_Link_LeoB.jpg

Born with it.
Well that makes more sense, I read that the main issue with Majora on the CE was the fact that Nintendo kinda took the N64 emulator running Ocarina and shoved Majora in it. Hence it didn't emulate the expansion pak properly (or at all), which is why it's so crash prone. Kinda reminds me of how DK64 only needed the expansion pak to avoid similar crashes :lol.
Game ran in 480i as well, didn't it?

Regarding Majora Mask on the GC... it's more complex than that. The GC didn't have a lot of RAM, so 8 MB of it whilst emulating a system was a tight fit, the 24 MB of main RAM didn't even allow you to load a 32 MB ROM into memory and such was the case for OoT and MM, this meant that to negate this limitation you'd have to be able to cache chunks of the ROM from disc, because the way N64 did things wasn't viable. This was probably done on the secondary 16 MB DRAM bank, typically also used for sound duties.

Let me put some context here, cartridges on the N64 had a throughput of 50 MB/s, Factor 5 even claimed they used it as a RAM substitute (in regards to access time no doubt), and truth is, to a certain degree most games did, as being able to load fast meant that with good design you could feign a bigger scope seamlessly. Zelda games obviously do this as if it was a on-off switch.

You can actually see this in OoT if you go for the ice cavern and change the camera (with Z targeting) on some corridor that leads to a block pushing room, what you'll see is that depending where you're standing the room ahead or the room before just disappears, and whenever they disappear the other section simply appears, it's an on off switch and the way N64 effectively uses RAM.

That's not doable on a CD based system without caching or having the ROM on RAM... To put things into perspective... GC mini-DVD throughput was 3.1 MB/s, and worst of all latency on it was 128 ms, the bigger the program (and chunks of data streamed) the more of an issue this is, of course. Which is also why MM on the GC shat bricks in clock town - slowwwwww. It's because the game reads every character "script" from, you guessed it, cartridge. And they're not just standing there, there's an "action timeline" going on.

Freezing and sound skipping issues were mostly a byproduct of, due to the extra N64 RAM at place, there was either more memory alocated to caching (the RAM typically used for sound and streaming from media RAM, no less), that or no caching altogether (more likely) and due to that and the fact this game relied on the expansion pack it meant that meant the data it asked for was bigger than before and hence it took longer until the GC had it.

Anyway, you can trigger MM sound glitches on "loading corridors", like the one in the swamp leading up to the witches hut. Precisely when the N64 would seemingly "load" the next "room".

The issue really is lack of RAM to store ROM in RAM.

Should be mostly solved on the Wii because it's stored on a flash bank (lower latency and better speed) and the console has more RAM (it can just store the whole ROM on the secondary memory bank), never on the GC though, people not complaining on the GC are simply not picky and some others might have GC's with screwed up drives, making seek time/latency bigger due to wear. Problem is never non-existent on the GC though, it's a technical limitation to the way the emulator works.

Tookay

Yes it does:

I meant an illuminated, golden crest, signifying that he's chosen by a particular Triforce piece.

I also covered my ass by saying that he's from a province outside of Hyrule technically, so his fellow villagers may not have picked up on the marks' significance.

"Oh, no, I don't believe he's from Hyrule proper at all. No, my understanding is that he's from the small neighboring province of Ordona." — Shad

"I was supposed to deliver something to the royal family of Hyrule the day after tomorrow... Yes, it was a task set to me by the mayor, but...would you go in my stead? You have...never been to Hyrule, right?" — Rusl

"Whoa! An Ordonian! Hey, guy!" — Coro

Shion

I feel like they'd screw up a "trilogy."

It would have to stay away from Hyrule and Termina if there was a third Hero of Time game. Otherwise they'd probably get caught up on trying to make everything make sense before Twilight Princess.

If Koizumi comes back, then please let it happen. Otherwise...don't touch it.

Screw the hero of time :p

Koizumi needs to return to Zelda regardless of the prospect of a trilogy.

His vision of what Zelda should be was much more ambitious and exciting than what we got in the past decade imo.

I meant an illuminated, golden crest, signifying that he's chosen by a particular Triforce piece.

I also covered my ass by saying that he's from a province outside of Hyrule technically, so his fellow villagers may not have picked up on the marks' significance.

"Oh, no, I don't believe he's from Hyrule proper at all. No, my understanding is that he's from the small neighboring province of Ordona." — Shad

"I was supposed to deliver something to the royal family of Hyrule the day after tomorrow... Yes, it was a task set to me by the mayor, but...would you go in my stead? You have...never been to Hyrule, right?" — Rusl

"Whoa! An Ordonian! Hey, guy!" — Coro
That's the moment I say you're imposing too many rules and trying to read too much into a pattern.

Link from MM, the same link from the end of OoT, doesn't have that engraving, what happened?

Granted, it's semantics, but first and foremost these are games. Everything might mean a lot or might not. Like the overworld maps we were discussing. And it's usually a mix of both.

I do believe there's place and there should be a final game with the hero of time, plot structure screams for it if anything because he regressed to being a child again, so his "prime" has to come again and he's still Hero of Time complete with the Triforce of Courage.

I don't think that will happen though, which is in fact the way I got into this conversation, because people were talking about Link missing an eye and stuff like that for some grand final.

The games are very inconsistent about how the crests appear. In OoT (N64), TWW, and TP, we see them as non-illuminated marks on the backs of their wielders' hands. When the marks come in contact with each other in OoT and TWW, they also illuminate; in TP, the wielders also seem to be able to make them resonate at will (they always appear on the backs of bare hands, but only Link ever walks around with an ungloved hand).

In OoT 3D, the crests look more like they're "projected" off the owners' hands. Same with SS and ALBW.

Grief.exe

I gotta have my 3DS version. MM3D will be the psycho emo sister to the polo-and-khaki prince that is OoT3D.

That being said, I would not oppose there also being an HD version on the eShop, and by that, I mean MM3D assets in 1080p with lots of AA.

And then an Amiibo line for both versions, featuring every character in the game, naturally!

This game is going to look phenomenal at 8K if 3DS emulation ever becomes a thing.

Rich!

This game is going to look phenomenal at 8K if 3DS emulation ever becomes a thing.

3DS emulation already is a thing. Very early stages, but playing Majoras Mask 3D at 1080p is going to happen eventually.

The only issue i can see is the second screen. Hm.

TheMoon

TP was OoT 2 for them, in fact it started of as being exactly that.

They could go through with it, issue for them really is the fact that they have to build momentum on top of a game who had plenty of it - acclaim too. A sequel to OoT has to trump it in scale and delivery. If it is set in Hyrule then has to feel like a crescendo in regards to OoT.

And Nintendo (or should I say Aonuma) is usually shy of going that way. And Miyamoto is shy of letting story stockpile (poor Koizumi).

Then there's the issue of being a sequel set only years apart - they have to use a familiar overworld map (like A Link Between Times did in relation to A Link to the Past) and that kinda sucks because they can't make it too similar either.

All in all there's more of one reason it's not happening, but it's a shame because there's clearly more story to be told there

They could do it Wind Waker style, set it long after and another in-between Link retraces the steps of the Hero of time, maybe playing flashbacks. AssCreed style. I dunno. That would allow for a significantly altered landscape, too. Visit ruins of OoT locations. Maybe there's been a landslide or the earth caved in beneath Kokiri Forest meaning it's now underground. You could do cool stuff with locations like that, evoking locations from the original and going crazy with new environments at the same time. Turn the flashbacks into a mechanic. Maybe the Ocarina transports current-game Link back into Hero of Time era, maybe not even AS the HoT but maybe as Navi (loool sorry, now I'm getting real silly, I know), changing gameplay and stuff...

They don't -have- to do anything. If they wanted to make an OoT2 -- for reasons meaningful or market-driven -- they could revisit the same world as OoT1, or they could set it in an entirely new world. They could depict Link one way, or another. They could do whatever, because it's an ever-evolving series. It's narrow-minded to say they could only design/depict things in certain ways. There was a time in the Zelda fandom when the idea of a title predating OoT would've been laughed at. Likewise for a title revisiting the world of ALttP. Or going from realistic graphics to toon graphics. Or controlling the game entirely with a stylus. And so on.

Tits know whattup!

I think you just missed them^^

This was fairly obvious ;D

All this talk reminds me: When are we getting the equivalent of the GameCube gameboy player on the Wii U? I want to play 3DS games on Wii U. With the gamepad it makes too much sense really.

Rich!

All this talk reminds me: When are we getting the equivalent of the GameCube gameboy player on the Wii U? I want to play 3DS games on Wii U. With the gamepad it makes too much sense really.

Probably never.

There's no expansion slot. USB may work, but that opens up the issue of hacked PC drivers for dumping games and exploits.

TheMoon

Expect it at about the same time in the systems life as when the DS player for Wii came out.

zeldablue

*Sigh*

I wish TP ended up being OoT3.

The problem with going back to that era is too much fan service and convoluted continuity issues. Then you get fans angry about having too much been there done that. Every console Zelda feels a bit like "OoT2" as is.

I just want the feel/atmosphere of OoT and MM to show up again, I don't literally want to end up on the same overworld map again. :\

Hyrule Warriors is probably the closest I'll get to the OoT feel again for a while. Seeing Sheik, Darunia and Ruto at Lake Hylia was pretty awesome.

Yonafunu

*Sigh*

I wish TP ended up being OoT3.

The problem with going back to that era is too much fan service and convoluted continuity issues. Then you get fans angry about having too much been there done that. Every console Zelda feels a bit like "OoT2" as is.

I just want the feel/atmosphere of OoT and MM to show up again, I don't literally want to end up on the same overworld map again. :\

Hyrule Warriors is probably the closest I'll get to the OoT feel again for a while. Seeing Sheik, Darunia and Ruto at Lake Hylia was pretty awesome.

The problem with this is that OoT and MM have a completely different atmosphere. The only things that tie these games together are the shared assets and the platform.

There is no shared atmosphere or game design philosophy or anything like that between the two besides the recycled nature of MM. I think the only way to recreate that OoT/MM feel is to either use the same world or the same characters again.

zeldablue

The problem with this is that OoT and MM have a completely different atmosphere. The only things that tie these games together are the shared assets and the platform.

There is no shared atmosphere or game design philosophy or anything like that between the two besides the recycled nature of MM. I think the only way to recreate that OoT/MM feel is to either use the same world or the same characters again.

What?

They're both substantially "darker" than the rest of the series by a pretty wide margin.

OoT and MM have very different feels, but they both have a ton of atmosphere. OoT dealing with the polarity of innocence and adulthood and MM dealing with tension and mortality. They've got strong themes that are implemented through gameplay. I guess...A lot of it has to do with how they treat Link and the player. Not so much how they deal with the external environment.

A lot of the themes you see in MM were already present in Link's Awakening and Ocarina of Time.

JB2448

Anybody that has found a bigger (wallpaper-friendly) version of this picture? (https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAACAADMUKmIuDSagA)

zlCfzSoRX1MEjw3p5M

http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/t...f-Zelda-Majoras-Mask-3D_2014_11-05-14_027.jpg

And you know, since this a repost anyway, let's include the other piece of new art again:
http://gematsu.com/gallery/albums/t...f-Zelda-Majoras-Mask-3D_2014_11-05-14_025.jpg

The Imgur upload of the full version in your post has terrible compression, Nasos.

RagnarokX

Ganon wouldn't have gotten the triforce if Link had never opened the door for him. It was all Zelda's fault, really. TP shows that they could have just stopped Ganon by telling the adults, but that doesn't work because, due to time travel shenanigans, creating the alternate timeline caused the Child Timeline's triforce to split and Ganon ended up with a piece anyway.

nasos_333

Muzy72

Banned
The 15th anniversary of Majora's Mask is in April, so I guess it wouldn't be too farfetched to assume the remake launches then?

The 15th anniversary of Majora's Mask is in April, so I guess it wouldn't be too farfetched to assume the remake launches then?

I'd bet they launch it with the new 3DS in the US and Europe, whenever that happens, and maybe even make it a free digital download with purchase for a couple months.

Also, they are scarecrows. They dont have skulls.

...I am guessing there.

It's a bit morbid but I'm pretty sure they do have skulls. They're children who wandered into the Lost woods and got lost, presumably dying and becoming Skull Kids, which is probably named that way for the mask in OOT, or just to avoid calling them Dead Kids or whatever a more exact translation would be.

Also why is he called Skullkid if he doesn't even resemble a skeleton hmm???
Skull_Kid_with_Skull_Mask.png

As a plus, here's how skull kid looked without mask on the JP release of MM:

MMSkullKidJ.png

And how it looks in the US release:

MMSkullKidU.png

Skull Kid's face is completely black in the Japanese versions. This is consistent with his appearance in Ocarina of Time, but due to racism issues, his face was changed in the American version to use a dark wood texture.
Source: http://tcrf.net/The_Legend_of_Zelda:_Majora's_Mask/Program_revision_differences#Skull_Kid

Think of him as a shadow. The whole dark wood texture on his face was only there to avoid some cultural issues. In reality for all means and purposes, there's a reason Skull kids tend to use/like masks throughout their appearances in the series, because they have no facial features or something more grotesque going on beneath.

Neiteio

Never realized Skullkid looked like this guy from Yoshi's Island lol.

hqdefault.jpg

Also why is he called Skullkid if he doesn't even resemble a skeleton hmm???
And that guy walks on the moon.

Thus, Skull Kid is the parallel universe counterpart to Raphael the Raven in Yoshi's Island.

I wonder what implications this has for the Goombas and Chain Chomps in Link's Awakening.

In OoT, there's a sidequest where you give a skull mask to the skull kids. I guess that's why they went with that translation for his name.

Oh yah I forgot about that lol </notPlayedOoTin15yrs>

And that guy walks on the moon.

Thus, Skull Kid is the parallel universe counterpart to Raphael the Raven in Yoshi's Island.

I wonder what implications this has for the Goombas and Chain Chomps in Link's Awakening.

Sweet jeebers

As someone who has never enjoyed a 3D zelda game with an exception of Wind Waker, is this game worth checking out?

Yeah. It's very unique. Every NPC has their own little story and timeline which you have the ability to modify based upon your actions. It's unlike anything else I've played.

Top Bottom