• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making gigantic super-thick pancakes with a rice cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

You Americans with you awful thick, fluffy pancakes. This is what a real pancake should look like:

IMG_0140.JPG

I don't know who you are. I don't know where you are posting from. But I will find you, and I will kill you.

mackattk

I will need other people to test this before I take the plunge. Most of the time ideas like this end up in a horrible, horrible mess for me.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Am I the only one who sees these cooking hacks, tries them and produces something radically different?

I recently found a buzzfeed article about using a muffin tray to produce pizza rolls. Followed the recipe exactly and what came out was the most disgusting, gooey and ugly piece of fluff to have ever emerged from a non-human oven.

Antagon

What the fuck is it with people and the pineapple/ham combo? It's not happening, stop.

That i agree on. Apple / raisin or just bacon are far better.

And stop dissing this testament of Dutch superiority. Pannenkoeken > american pancakes, just ask the beastie boys.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was amazed until I read 45 mins cooking time. Fuck that shit, I could've made 80 pancakes by then.

It's afk time. 45 minutes from when the rice cooker starts and you go off doing your thing.

You can even turn it on the previous night and have fresh warm pancake cake in the morning waiting for you.

I'm gonna go buy a rice cooker today. Seems like Target has some for like $20. I know I don't want to get the cheap-o bottom shelf brand thing but how different a cooking experience are we talking about as the price rises? I'd be willing to go to maybe $30 on a rice cooker, because honestly I don't make rice that often but I DO bake cakes pretty frequently and this might become my preferred method if it works out...

DJ_Lae

I've made one before in my Zojirushi rice cooker, there's a cake setting that produces those things.

They're also not so good. They lack the texture of a steamed cake and that of a properly baked cake. It was an experiment that I performed and vowed to never do again.

Ferrio

Banned
I've made one before in my Zojirushi rice cooker, there's a cake setting that produces those things.

They're also not so good. They lack the texture of a steamed cake and that of a properly baked cake. It was an experiment that I performed and vowed to never do again.

Deep fry the whole thing after you take it out of the cooker.

Oh god that sounds amazing...

akira28

Would this be better for you guys? :p

if the face can be made of chocolate...maybe.

it just seems like the rice cooker really accents the cake part of the pancake. My ricecooker did come with a hot fudge chocolate cake recipe though. That, I could see. But pancakes are supposed to be thin. Otherwise, what's the point?

Collete

I'm making one right now out of Moringa pancake batter with blueberries in it.
I think I'm in for a treat, I'll post pictures when it comes out!

Pancakes.jpg

This is the only way a pancake should be.
Thin, with mounds of sugar and a tiny squeeze of lemon on top.
Yes.

None of that thick spongy American shit.

akira28

I mean, crepes are great and all, but I like a nice crepe\pancake hybrid that is nice and spongy yet also fluffy and thin, so it soaks up maple like a sponge, but is springy and not thick and doughy like hastily made pancakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom