• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making gigantic super-thick pancakes with a rice cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoe

Proper pancakes:
b35c047ad9.jpg

with:
2482.jpg

Where's the "cake"?

You Americans with you awful thick, fluffy pancakes. This is what a real pancake should look like:

IMG_0140.JPG

I think myself a decent, reasonable feller. I enjoy trying new things and keeping the ol' mind open. That being said, I hope you die choking on that travesty.

You're right about the thickness though. And I don't really want you to die, a good scare will do.

-PXG-

Pancakes.jpg

This is the only way a pancake should be.
Thin, with mounds of sugar and a tiny squeeze of lemon on top.
Yes.

None of that thick spongy American shit.

What is this? Like what the fuck is this? It's paper thin. There is nothing there. I would consume more calories breathing than eating that.

Roland1979

All rice cookers have timers? What a load of bull. Only the better, more expensive ones. But the great thing about rice cookers is the cheapest ones are not much less efficient often. You just miss a lot of functionality, a bit precision and quality. It's still a good idea though, but i wouldn't want pancakes that big. Just thick is good enough.

What is this? Like what the fuck is this? It's paper thin. There is nothing there. I would consume more calories breathing than eating that.
But you don't eat one? The taste is much better though, regardless of topping, imo.
I think myself a decent, reasonable feller. I enjoy trying new things and keeping the ol' mind open. That being said, I hope you die choking on that travesty.

You're right about the thickness though. And I don't really want you to die, a good scare will do.
It's a fact, and chef's can confirm this, that sweet apples and bacon go together ridiculously well. You can even maker it sweeter (raisins or a tad of sugar or syrup). Might not look good, taste great.

Where's the "cake"?

Funny. You Americans also believe your bread-dough pizza's are the proper way. It's not wrong, but i heavily prefer Italian > American. Not using durum dough is lower the quality and too much air makes it too soft or dry if baked longer.

All rice cookers have timers? What a load of bull. Only the better, more expensive ones. But the great thing about rice cookers is the cheapest ones are not much less efficient often. You just miss a lot of functionality, a bit precision and quality. It's still a good idea though, but i wouldn't want pancakes that big. Just thick is good enough.

I've looked at a shitload of rice cookers today and it seems like anything over $25 has a timer on it. $20 or less and you don't even have a sealed lid or buttons to tell it what you're cooking, just "cook" and "warm". I concede that this does not make it "all" but come on. I would never place $25-30 in the "expensive" tier of kitchenware.

Roland1979

I've looked at a shitload of rice cookers today and it seems like anything over $25 has a timer on it. $20 or less and you don't even have a sealed lid or buttons to tell it what you're cooking, just "cook" and "warm". I concede that this does not make it "all" but come on. I would never place $25-30 in the "expensive" tier of kitchenware.

Yeah but i don't live where you live. Here most don't have timers. But the story was probably written with the US in mind. Here you have cookers that are €50 and only bake and the majority is cheap either way. They do all have a lid and a warm keeping function.
Rice cookers also don't sell a lot here so we're probably a exception i have to add.

Yeah but i don't live where you live. Here most don't have timers. But the story was probably written with the US in mind. Here you have cookers that are €50 and only bake and the majority is cheap either way. They do all have a lid and a warm keeping function.

That makes me very sad for you and your fellow countrymen :(

Pandacon

My rice cooker has no settings, just a lever to turn it on, then it shuts off when the cooking is done.

I wonder if I can make these non-pan cakes with my rice cooker....

Coins

Banned
Hahaha, for real. I'm like "...I need a Rice Cooker" over this.

Slice in half horizontally. Drench bottom in syrup. Place top back on. You got a panburger.

Dude. Put a piece of sausage in the middle, then the syrup, garnish with bacon.

Fuuuuuuu

Roland1979

One more thing, our pancakes are eaten individually. You don't stack them all then cut them. You can roll up parts, but eating them individually is important to get a slightly different structure.

Roland1979

That makes me very sad for you and your fellow countrymen :(

Why i have a rice cooker. Most don't want one. Don't feel sorry for me. And it's pointless to own if they're not going to use one. I love mine and you really don't need any extra's on it, but can't hurt either i guess.

Why i have a rice cooker. Most don't want one. Don't feel sorry for me. And it's pointless to own if they're not going to use one. I love mine and you really don't need any extra's on it, but can't hurt either i guess.

I mean that I'm sad there's not a low-priced entry point to a feature-plentiful rice cooker in your area.

As far as extras go, I wasn't aware that white and brown rice needed to be cooked differently, so I'm kinda surprised they each have their own buttons. Going up past $40 though and you start getting ridiculous with it, adding on "simmer" and "saute" buttons. But the cheap ones I saw, their lids don't even lock down, they're just like the top to a pot. Being able to get a nice, large rice cooker with two rice settings, locking lid, warming setting, a plastic tray for steaming veggies, and a timer on it for about $25 is really awesome. That's why I was sad, that something like that costs over 50 bones where you're at.

Roland1979

I mean that I'm sad there's not a low-priced entry point to a feature-plentiful rice cooker in your area.

As far as extras go, I wasn't aware that white and brown rice needed to be cooked differently, so I'm kinda surprised they each have their own buttons. Going up past $40 though and you start getting ridiculous with it, adding on "simmer" and "saute" buttons. But the cheap ones I saw, their lids don't even lock down, they're just like the top to a pot. Being able to get a nice, large rice cooker with two rice settings, locking lid, warming setting, a plastic tray for steaming veggies, and a timer on it for about $25 is really awesome. That's why I was sad, that something like that costs over 50 bones where you're at.

:-(
Sounds like a good deal what you're describing. Brown rice, healthy AND disgusting.

Wolfe

This thread is a thing of beauty, I want a rice cooker more than ever now.

The one that finally sold me was the cream cheese one >_<

I just made pork chops. Now I want pancakes. Fuck you GAF ugh.

Used my rice cooker to make rice tonight. Maybe I'll try after I clean it and post back.

It's a fact, and chef's can confirm this, that sweet apples and bacon go together ridiculously well. You can even maker it sweeter (raisins or a tad of sugar or syrup). Might not look good, taste great.

I love apples and bacon, it's the raisins (and pineapples?) I took offense to. You're telling me those are apples on that picture?

Roland1979

I love apples and bacon, it's the raisins (and pineapples?) I took offense to. You're telling me those are apples on that picture?
Yes, it's rings of apples. Maybe he used dried apple, i'm not a fan of it. Either way it's not pineapple. Bacon apple combo is a widespread combination here. I personally also wouldn't put a lot of syrup on it or sugar and i'm not a fan of raisins. But it can be very good. The sweet and salty really go well together. It's not a crepe either. For those who mentioned them. It's a world of difference. Crepes are much thinner and served with sweet toppings (and whipped cream) if i'm not mistaken.

Cth

did anyone try to make one yet?

Yup.

Failed miserably :D

Of course, it seems the rice cooker may be broke.

We tried something complex (the cheesecake one) and didn't have a lot of luck (to be fair the instructions wasn't exactly clear on how to make one).

Ended up just making regular pancakes as a result.

We'll try again with basic pancakes next time to see if our luck changes.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoy your sugared toilet paper. I'll stick to pancakes, like a real man.

34285-115.jpg

Hahaha.

But yeah, the pancakes in the op are way to dense for my liking. I'm not even the biggest fan of pancakes in general; more of a corncake guy.

So I did this and I'm pretty sure I don't have the right kind of rice cooker for it. One side came out fine, but the top half was...
ib1OWPYN5lqiMR.jpg

ibzwgPftpjrEMp.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom