• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making gigantic super-thick pancakes with a rice cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've made one before in my Zojirushi rice cooker, there's a cake setting that produces those things.

They're also not so good. They lack the texture of a steamed cake and that of a properly baked cake. It was an experiment that I performed and vowed to never do again.

Yes. Just because you can cook a cake in a rice cooker, doesn't mean you should. Unless it's all you have, in which case, have at it.

If you have real kitchen, go buy some proper pans and cook something nice.

Collete

Ok, as stated I started the pancake rice cooking process, but I'm a little concern.
I walked away for about five minutes after I turned it on with the pancake batter inside, but then all of a suddenly my rice cooker made the "pop" sound indicating it's at the "keep warm" stage.
The top of the pancake seems to be bubbling like a normal pancake would signifying it needs flipping. GAF, should I just leave it be for the rest of the 40 minutes or should I do something about this. I don't know?!...

Deep fry it afterwards!

But I'm on a semi-diet...D:

depths20XX

Why would you want to make a super thick pancake?

That's like saying you found a way to make really dry burgers.

Great?

pants

Pancakes.jpg

This is the only way a pancake should be.
Thin, with mounds of sugar and a tiny squeeze of lemon on top.
Yes.

None of that thick spongy American shit.

replace the lemon with cinnamon and we have a deal

p2535748

I've seen this a couple of places now and I don't get the appeal. You know what are really good? Pancakes. A stack of freshly made pancakes is delicious. The thickness is just right to allow for some nice soft spongy bits to absorb syrup and then some nicely browned portions on the top and bottom, the stacking allows you to properly butter each cake, and they make for easy eating. They also take like 5 minutes to cook.

Instead, here's a recipe that totally screws up the surface area to interior ratio, makes it much more difficult to eat, and takes much longer to cook.

If you want pancakes, just make yourself some pancakes. They're ridiculously easy to make from scratch.

If you really need to change around your pancake making, may I suggest the David Eyre's Pancake?

Collete

Ok, as stated I started the pancake rice cooking process, but I'm a little concern.
I walked away for about five minutes after I turned it on with the pancake batter inside, but then all of a suddenly my rice cooker made the "pop" sound indicating it's at the "keep warm" stage.
The top of the pancake seems to be bubbling like a normal pancake would signifying it needs flipping. GAF, should I just leave it be for the rest of the 40 minutes or should I do something about this. I don't know?!...

Ok I finished making this and to address the "problem" I had, it's actually nothing to worry about. The rest of the minutes that I did leave it in the rice cooker, the steam had baked the top portion of the pancake.

So the verdict? It's actually not bad, however it does change the texture of the pancake slightly tasting more like an asian steamed cake. Which isn't bad necessarily, for it was still good.

My only advice if anyone does try this, is to grease the rice cooker with butter or cooking spray or something. I didn't grease mine and I just mixed the pancake batter in the rice cooker bowl and my pancake sorta crumbled into pieces when it was time to take it out so that's why I didn't really take any photos.
It's a good experience for lazy days but still want a pancake. I recommend it still and will make it again when I have more Moringa batter.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ok I finished making this and to address the "problem" I had, it's actually nothing to worry about. The rest of the minutes that I did leave it in the rice cooker, the steam had baked the top portion of the pancake.

So the verdict? It's actually not bad, however it does change the texture of the pancake slightly tasting more like an asian steamed cake. Which isn't bad necessarily, for it was still good.

My only advice if anyone does try this, is to grease the rice cooker with butter or cooking spray or something. I didn't grease mine and I just mixed the pancake batter in the rice cooker bowl and my pancake sorta crumbled into pieces when it was time to take it out so that's why I didn't really take any photos.
It's a good experience for lazy days but still want a pancake. I recommend it still and will make it again when I have more Moringa batter.

No pics?

Better make another one.

Collete

No pics?

Better make another one.

No ingredients for it now!
And anyways, because I didn't grease the rice cooker, it sorta crumbled in like shards of pancake. It looks as if the pancake had a bunch of holes in it, if that's any sort of indications haha

Zoe

No ingredients for it now!
And anyways, because I didn't grease the rice cooker, it sorta crumbled in like shards of pancake. It looks as if the pancake had a bunch of holes in it, if that's any sort of indications haha

A friend of mine made one of these this mornings and said she didn't need to grease the pot.

PBalfredo

This thread is responsible for me making banana pancakes this morning. They were delicious. No rice cooker, though :(

Crepes GTFO

Weird to see this thread pop up, just last week I said fuck this to making pancakes and instead poured the entire batter mix into a cake tin and baked it...

It's better in every way - Instead of messing about making multiple pancakes and fucking up the flip each time, you put the baking tin in the oven and go about your merry way until it's done, and come back to one massive hot pancake.

How... how could you? You broke our hearts, man.

Though you do say you didn't really take any photos... so you're saying there's a chance? PLEASE?!

Malvolio

I wanted to take this opportunity to give the OP a high five for leaving out the"epic" in the articles title. I don't care how big it is or what you put in it or on it, a pancake is never epic.

The more I read this thread, the more I want to make one.

I'll try to see if I can commandeer the rice cooker tonight when I get home (provided my dad hasn't made rice yet). If so, I'll try to make one as we have some pancake mix. Might make it plain first to see what I need to fix or not.

akira28

secret to making your pancakes more crepe-like? play around with the amount of milk. Add extra to thin the consistency and you get interesting results.

In Japan, that's a cake. I've gotten more than one of those dry ass fuckers for my birthday.
wat
you mean this is already a thing over there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom