• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Making gigantic super-thick pancakes with a rice cooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minamu

Not sure my cooker is right for the job either, it turns itself off after 5 minutes leaving one hell of a mess :D Seems it burned to the bottom.

Not sure my cooker is right for the job either, it turns itself off after 5 minutes leaving one hell of a mess :D Seems it burned to the bottom.

Oh, no. That was my attempt at salvaging it once I took it out. The actual bottom half was fine, but the top started to fall apart as I took it out, so I threw it in a pan.

Minamu

Oh, no. That was my attempt at salvaging it once I took it out. The actual bottom half was fine, but the top started to fall apart as I took it out, so I threw it in a pan.
Most of mine is still liquid but we're trying to restart the cooker a few more times. Funny thing is, the stores close in 14 minutes. After that, we're screwed for dinner tonight :/ And I'm famished. Might put it in the oven later.

Pancakes.jpg

This is the only way a pancake should be.
Thin, with mounds of sugar and a tiny squeeze of lemon on top.
Yes.

None of that thick spongy American shit.

amn36.gif

Go to an IHOP and experience the joy of 3 flavors of syrup at the same time.

Cheech

I would probably put some Sprite in the batter to make it a bit more airy. That is gonna be dense as hell otherwise.

Zoe

Most of mine is still liquid but we're trying to restart the cooker a few more times. Funny thing is, the stores close in 14 minutes. After that, we're screwed for dinner tonight :/ And I'm famished. Might put it in the oven later.

My friend had to run the cooker through a few cycles. Seems necessary if you don't have a timer.

Wanace

Im making Mac and Cheese in my rice cooker right now.

Will report back with the results.

Well I did it.

Used this recipe: http://weelicious.com/2010/03/03/rice-cooker-mac-cheese-recipe/

Turned out perfectly. WAY less work than the traditional way my mother has been doing for years, and tasted exactly the same.

I even have a shitty rice cooker with no timer. No sticking to the sides. Only difference between this and oven baked version is the crispiness is on the bottom. :D

pHwdJxn.jpg

Collete

How... how could you? You broke our hearts, man.

Though you do say you didn't really take any photos... so you're saying there's a chance? PLEASE?!

So I did this and I'm pretty sure I don't have the right kind of rice cooker for it. One side came out fine, but the top half was...
ib1OWPYN5lqiMR.jpg

ibzwgPftpjrEMp.jpg

This is why I didn't take photos because mine looked like that, and anyways I didn't have access to my camera!

Minamu

My friend had to run the cooker through a few cycles. Seems necessary if you don't have a timer.
Yeah we did maybe 4 cycles, when we finally got the damn cooker to restart. It doesn't have a timer but normally it stays on for 30-45 minutes on its own until the rice is done. I have no idea why this made it stop beforehand. Anyway, it looked and smelled pretty great when we took it out and turned it over. After a while in the oven though, it really tasted like shit and was a complete waste of ingredients. Syrup, icecream, cream and lots of strawberries helped but not all the way.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wow, look at you people trying to pass off crepes as comparable to pancakes, let alone better than pancakes. Look at that. Look at yourselves. Look at how wrong you are. For the love of God.

This is why I didn't take photos because mine looked like that, and anyways I didn't have access to my camera!

The bottom half looked great, I just didn't bother taking a picture of it since I wanted to eat it. It tasted fine since I put some cinnamon and chocolate chips in it.

akira28

Well I did it.

I even have a shitty rice cooker with no timer. No sticking to the sides. Only difference between this and oven baked version is the crispiness is on the bottom. :D

I have your rice cooker. In the trunk of my car I think. Or in the garage somewhere. Look up rice cooker recipes. I have like a 200 page pdf somewhere full of non rice based stuff you can make with a rice cooker. I think it's on the Aroma webpage even.

Collete

The bottom half looked great, I just didn't bother taking a picture of it since I wanted to eat it. It tasted fine since I put some cinnamon and chocolate chips in it.

So did mine actually! Your combination sounds good actually, I'll put chocolate chips in mine the next time I do this :eek:
I put blueberries in mine, it was pretty good.
Though I think I'm biased since the batter I put in the rice cooker was Moringa since it really puffs up high and is pretty sweeter than normal pancakes. So even if it did somehow get ruined, it still tasted good to me haha.

I wanted to put some fresh fruits on it too, but realized I had none. So I dropped those into the batter and then drizzled Aunt Jemima's Butter Syrup on it. The fresh fruits would have been a lot better.

Brofist

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I tried this last night. I beat in an extra egg white for a little less of a dense texture, it came out surprisingly light and fluffy. The very inside was a tiny bit undercooked, probably would cook it longer next time.

As for the taste, it really does taste like a big thick pancake. I dropped some chocolate chips in it, was great. Don't think it's a substitute for regular pancakes, but so easy and quick.

woodypop

Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I tried this last night. I beat in an extra egg white for a little less of a dense texture, it came out surprisingly light and fluffy. The very inside was a tiny bit undercooked, probably would cook it longer next time.

As for the taste, it really does taste like a big thick pancake. I dropped some chocolate chips in it, was great. Don't think it's a substitute for regular pancakes, but so easy and quick.
How long did u cook it? The recommended 45 minutes?

woodypop

I've got one cooking right now using a very basic rice cooker with just two settings: Cook and Warm. Within 10-15 mins it switched over to Warm. Should I press it back to Cook, or just leave it on Warm for the remainder of the 45-minute cook time?

nomster

bfKdr2Ul.jpg

6STIDULl.jpg

Waffle batter. Didn't have a ton leftover from this morning so it didn't get too huge. Tasted like a sweet roll, pretty tasty. Would try again.

Ratrat

I've got one cooking right now using a very basic rice cooker with just two settings: Cook and Warm. Within 10-15 mins it switched over to Warm. Should I press it back to Cook, or just leave it on Warm for the remainder of the 45-minute cook time?
Yes. Press it again.

So I figured I would give this a go.

Assorted ingredients. I kind of estimated everything.

Everything goes in the pot. I also added some Milo because hey, why not? And a frozen banana. We actually don't have a sieve so the flour went in unsieved. I also couldn't be bothered melting the butter before hand so it goes in the way nature intended it to be, solid. We also don't have a mixer or whisk of any kind as my sister recently moved out and took all the cooking utensils with her so I made do with mixing it by hand.

Into the rice cooker it goes.

Which then turns off after 5 minutes...
But I will salvage this! I'll chuck it into the a pan and then into the oven for a bit.

Er.....
I mean the bottom that was actually cooked looks quite nice.

So after 15 minutes in the oven.
It's alright. Not as dense as I expected and the texture is pretty good. The flavour is lacking though. I should have put some more butter in. Overall I would say this is just a massive scone really.
A really massive scone.

When my cousin brings his rice cooker back from his parent's house I will bump this thread with my trials. I am so interested in doing this, I don't know why it's never occurred to me to try baking pancakes in things other than pans before.

That picture of the two super thick pancakes with the chunk of butter on it earlier in the thread looks like my version of heaven, goddamn. I wanna know how to make THAT.

Brofist

How long did u cook it? The recommended 45 minutes?

I cooked it for closer to an hour. Probably needed just a little longer to get the very middle cooked a little better.

Outside was a nice golden brown though. It did stick a little to the bottom a bit though.

woodypop

I cooked it for closer to an hour. Probably needed just a little longer to get the very middle cooked a little better.

Outside was a nice golden brown though. It did stick a little to the bottom a bit though.
Yeah, I ended keeping mine in for just over an hour, because it switched over to Warm mode about 10-15 mins into the cook time. I poked it a few times with toothpicks periodically to check the done-ness. Turned out okay. It's kind of late now, so I'll post pictures tomorrow.

Well he also only cooked it for like 5 minutes.

It had two functions: Cook and Warm.
After 5 minutes the Cook flipped to Warm and stayed there. If I tried to flip it over to Cook it just flipped straight back to Warm.
I mean, I guess I could just sit it there forever on Warm but I think it might take a while.

woodypop

It had two functions: Cook and Warm.
After 5 minutes the Cook flipped to Warm and stayed there. If I tried to flip it over to Cook it just flipped straight back to Warm.
I mean, I guess I could just sit it there forever on Warm but I think it might take a while.
That's exactly what happened to me. So I just let it cook for over an hour.

That's exactly what happened to me. So I just let it cook for over an hour.

I'll give it another shot and just leave it sitting on Warm for an hour then.

But not today.... Next week maybe?
Sometime in the future where I have digested all of this "pancake".

v1lla21

My sister is back from college during summer and she brought her rice cooker. I'm going to give this shit a go on the weekend.

Shadownet

Banned
So I figured I would give this a go.

Assorted ingredients. I kind of estimated everything.

Everything goes in the pot. I also added some Milo because hey, why not? And a frozen banana. We actually don't have a sieve so the flour went in unsieved. I also couldn't be bothered melting the butter before hand so it goes in the way nature intended it to be, solid. We also don't have a mixer or whisk of any kind as my sister recently moved out and took all the cooking utensils with her so I made do with mixing it by hand.

Into the rice cooker it goes.

Which then turns off after 5 minutes...
But I will salvage this! I'll chuck it into the a pan and then into the oven for a bit.

Er.....

I mean the bottom that was actually cooked looks quite nice.

So after 15 minutes in the oven.

It's alright. Not as dense as I expected and the texture is pretty good. The flavour is lacking though. I should have put some more butter in. Overall I would say this is just a massive scone really.

A really massive scone.

did you cut up the fruit evenly and small size? it seem like you just threw the entire banana in there. that might be why the pancake didn't form.

plus "estimating" the ingredient probably didnt help.

Piggus

Pancakes.jpg

This is the only way a pancake should be.
Thin, with mounds of sugar and a tiny squeeze of lemon on top.
Yes.

None of that thick spongy American shit.

That's some pathetic looking bullshit right there.

It's called a panCAKE for a reason. Cake is supposed to be thick and spongy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom