• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mollipen

Sorry to be nagging, but is there a live stream online? I've tried all the major networks and they force you to sign in with your cable provider. Or they cannot play in my location (US)

MSNBC lifestream doesn't require a cable subscription. I'm watching it, and I don't have cable.

Raist

Banned
why are planes still directed to fly over that area? they know its an active war zone and several Ukrainian planes have been shot down before..

I'm no pilot or ATC expert but I would assume that modifying common flying paths would be a gigantic nightmare.

AndyB1974

Translation please?

Reposted from last page:

20:27:
BBC Monitoring reports more from the conversation between militants allegedly intercepted by the Ukrainian Security Service.

The conversation starts with Igor Bezler, a key militant, apparently telling a Russian security official by phone that the pro-Russian militants have shot down a plane.

20:31:
In the YouTube footage a militant nicknamed "Major" is seen saying it was shot down by "Cossacks from the Chernukhino roadblock".

Major goes on to say: "It is definitely a civilian plane... there was a lot of people on board," BBC Monitoring reports.

commedieu

Banned
I cant help but think all this falls back on Russia and the shit they started a couple of months ago. Am I wrong?

That would be the logical conclusion. THey've funded the pro-russians and have pretended that we are all stupid and can't see video/pictures of their troops/weapons used by the pro-russian forces.

Everyone at my work is saying that the 777 was at 33000 feet, it would have to be a very advance ground to air missile or another plane to shoot down the airliner....crazy shit.

Surface to air missiles can shoot way higher and further than 33,000 feet and have been able to for decades. In the 60's the Soviets were able to shoot down a U-2 spy plane which can cruise at 70,000 feet. Modern SAM's have lateral ranges of several hundred miles.

Tugatrix

Reposted from last page:

BBC Monitoring reports more from the conversation between militants allegedly intercepted by the Ukrainian Security Service.

The conversation starts with Igor Bezler, a key militant, apparently telling a Russian security official by phone that the pro-Russian militants have shot down a plane.

In the YouTube footage a militant nicknamed "Major" is seen saying it was shot down by "Cossacks from the Chernukhino roadblock".

Major goes on to say: "It is definitely a civilian plane... there was a lot of people on board," BBC Monitoring reports.

and they have the black box

Goldrusher

People bringing flowers and candles to the Embassy of the #Netherlands in #Kyiv - pic by Marichka Padalko

BsxFG_1IUAEJSLU.jpg:orig
http://twitter.com/myroslavapetsa/status/489842448274055168/photo/1

Zukuu

Banned
so the rebels blame ukraine, claiming they don't have any BUKs. If they had "no ukraine plane would have made it through the air corridor"

Hammer24

Banned
Surface to air missiles can shoot way higher and further than 33,000 feet and have been able to for decades. In the 60's the Soviets were able to shoot down a U-2 spy plane which can cruise at 70,000 feet. Modern SAM's have lateral ranges of several hundred miles.

Thats right. Alas, those kind of missiles usually are solid fuel propelled, so with todays satellite imagery it should be possible to pinpoint the launch site to within a couple meters.

Zukuu

Banned
so the rebels blame ukraine, claiming they don't have any BUKs. If they had "no ukraine plane would have made it through the air corridor".

They have accepted a short term ceasefire.

edit: damn wanted to edit. how does this happen anyway? =/

At 10 Kilometres above the ground and following a narrow corridor between the two countries, it may have drifted off course and they were simply unlucky or it's an unauthorized flightpath and they took their chances. Someone will need to fill us in on the flight paths allowed in Eastern Ukraine.

As for the second question, how are you going to hear anything on the ground at 10 K up in the air and going at cruising speed in a jet plane?

I meant "noise" as in complicated situation, not actual sound. Like why would you want your commercial plane with 300 passengers near a war zone?

Kreunt

Banned
Ugh, Australian news coverage of this is so bad, one channel has some guy talking about bombs and terrorists and comparing it to flight mh370. Go back to airing the foreign coverage please.

Fxp

Probably already translated, my rough transcript of the terrorist conversation:

A: terrorist leader "Bes" (Devil)
B: his GRU chief

A: Shot down a plane just now. Group "Minera". Fell down near Enakievo.
B: Pilots, where are the pilots?
A: We're going to the crash site to take photos, still smoking.
B: How many minutes ago?
A: 30 minutes or so.

Two terrorists talking:

C: Yes, "Mayor"!
D: So, "chernuhin" brigade shot down the plane, from Chernuhin block-post. Cossacks, who are located there.
D: Plane broke up in air, near Petropavlovsk mine. Found first 200 (code for dead person), civilian.
C: What's going on there?
D: 100% civilian plane.
C: Lots of people there?
D: Holy shit, plane fragments fell on houses.
C: Type of plane?
D: Still working on that, haven't been near main part. Looking where first bodies started to drop.
D: Parts of plane, seats, bodies.
C: Any weapons?
D: Nope, civilian stuff, medicine, towels, toilet paper.
C: Any documents?
D: Yes, Indonesian student, from Thompson University.

Two other terrorists talking:

E: About this plane, shot down near Snezhnoy - Torez. Appers it's civilian plane. Fell down near Grabovo, sea of bodies, women, children. Cossacks are inspecting it.
E: TV is saying it looks like AN-26, ukrainian, transport, but Malaysian Airways are written on it. What was it doing on Ukraine's territory?
F: Transporting spies. No need to fly here, in the war zone.

Xirj

Reposted from last page:

The main guy at the end is asked "what was this plane doing this space". He replies something along the lines of "it was transporting spies. This is what happens in war,". He sound chillingly dismissive.

2MF

Why would someone do this on purpose unless they're psychos?

What kind of message could they possibly be sending?

Horrible...

Two terrorists talking:

D: So, "chernuhin" brigade shot down the plane, from Chernuhin block-post. Cossacks, who are located there/
D: Plane broke up in air, near Petropavlovsk mine. Found first 200 (code for dead person), civilian.
D: Still working on that, haven't been near main part. Looking where first bodies started to drop.
D: Yes, Indonedian student, from Thompson University.

E: About this plane, shot down near Snezhnoy - Torez. Appers it's civilian plane. Fell down near Grabovo, sea of bodies, women, children. Cossacks are inspecting it.
E: TV is saying it looks like AN-26, ukrainian, transport, but Malaysian Airways are written on it. What was it doing on Ukraine's territory?
transporting spies wow...fuck

That's so fucked up. That's what happening when you supply people with heavy weapons who don't know what they are doing.

AndyB1974

Two terrorists talking:

D: So, "chernuhin" brigade shot down the plane, from Chernuhin block-post. Cossacks, who are located there/

Thanks for the translation.

Two terrorists talking:

thanks for taking the time to write this up.

damn.

TheJLC

The rebels have BUK and some of the rebels are former Ukraine soldiers so they could have someone trained with BUK. They have shot down at least 3 Ukrainian military aircraft already, so it wouldn't be far fetched if they show down a civilian plane at higher altitude, this time with BUK.

BswusMACcAAXKNA.png

It wouldn't make sense if Ukraine brought it down because the plane was already deep within ukraine territory and rebels don't have aircraft to shoot down.

Why would someone do this on purpose unless they're psychos?

What kind of message could they possibly be sending?

Horrible...

I don't think they knew what they were doing. They probably thought they were shooting down a military target.

That's what happens when you put advanced weaponry in inexperienced hands.

It's still horrible though and those responsible need to be punished.

commedieu

Banned

Two terrorists talking:

Well, thats quite the smoking gun. Maybe we shouldn't be posting this... KGB still erases people yea?

Hammer24

Banned

Two terrorists talking:

Much appreciated!

Unreal.

sangreal

Two terrorists talking:

been waiting for a translation; thank you

Zukuu

Banned

Two terrorists talking:

This makes the most sense to me. Rebels did it in an uncoordinated attack against an alleged ukraine plane. A tragic mix-up.

Two terrorists talking:

For fucking serious?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom