• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines flight en route from Amsterdam shot down over Ukraine; no survivors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimrpg

Dutch PM is furious about seperatists messing with the crime scene.

He spoke Putin minutes ago who promised him full support and no interference. But Rutte warned him that we are just about fed up with this bullshit and they are incriminating themselves by stopping reseachers.

Where can I watch this? With English VoiceOver or subtitles preferably...

Watching sky news at the moment but nothing at the moment.

Yrael

Apparently the rebel gunmen have cleared away at least. This reporter's descriptions of the chaos at the crime scene are horrifying though:

@shustry
Local miners helping clear bodies from flight #MH17. "I wouldn't call this volunteer work," one said. Seems local mining boss sent some men

@shustry
Crash site of #MH17 is as lawless as all rebel held parts of Ukraine. Unclear who's in charge. No proper equipment. All just mortifying.

@shustry
Workers in filthy uniforms stacking corpses from flight #MH17 onto old ZiL trucks. All refusing to say where the dead are being take

@shustry
I saw OSCE observers' caravan driving away from crash site at about 16:00. Only then did the workers start hauling the bodies away. #MH17

@shustry
No rebel gunmen in sight when I arrived at crash site today. Rare in this part of Ukraine to see so much commotion but no Kalashnikovs #MH17

https://twitter.com/shustry

Dilly

Banned
The Russians incited shit, and appear to be a clear enemy of freedom. That is far different from Iraq and current-day Afghanistan. Can you see how Putin takes advantage of our reluctance to use or even threaten force to foment chaos?

A proportional response isn't warmongering, regardless. Economic sanctions are not a proportional response to killing the citizens of our country and our allies.

This reads like something out of FOX news.

Would you prefer them to leave the bodies rotting in the sun?

The point is they have no idea who was taking the bodies, they didn't respond to any questioning, didn't even say where the bodies were being taken. If they gave full access to the site in the first place, less shady people would be there already helping to preserve the remains.

i-Lo

The situation is getting worse. I don't think there will ever be an adequate investigation given the contamination of the scene. What a shit show.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Are you insinuating that the only proportional response to a dead American is a dead Russian? Sure sounds like it.

No. A secure Ukraine, so that this can not happen again.

Russians should very well retreat to their country.

LNBL

Dutch Correspondent in Russia for RTL Olaf Koens is at the scene and is tweeting pictures on his Twitter. https://twitter.com/obk

From what I understand bodies get marked with a tree branch and a white ribbon

Bs5DQYCCMAAD1di.jpg:large

Bs5DSE8CQAA4duy.jpg:large

Bs63oWnCYAEWBwC.jpg:large

Bs5PErmIIAAbBS6.jpg

Olaf Koens @obk · 3m
Maar andere zaken zijn verdwenen. De paspoorten die de rebellen eerder toonden bijvoorbeeld. Of de zwarte doos.

"But other items have dissapeared. The passports that the rebels showed earlier for example. Or the black box"

Jackpot

Banned
Reporter on the ground with OSCE:

MH17 disaster: Scant respect for bodies at Ukraine crash site

A militiaman with the nickname "Grumpy" - he was squat and barrel-chested with poor teeth and carried a machine gun - harangued me when I asked if the rebels would now stop fighting.

"You are only here because foreigners are dead," he said.

And the old story was repeated, the same story I have heard on numerous roadblocks.

The Western media were all capitalists doing the bidding of their American and EU masters.

When the OSCE turned up in a convoy led by police cars with flashing blue light "Grumpy" came into his own.

Now he was a man of power. He halted the OSCE and told them they would have to go forward on foot.
A standoff followed.

The OSCE monitors went into a huddle. Yes, they would go forward on foot.

Ten minutes later "Grumpy" presented another problem.

The local experts - emergency service workers and local police - were working at the place where most of the wreckage had landed. It would not be possible to go on.

Again the OSCE huddled and the negotiations went back and forth.

And after another five minutes they were allowed to proceed once more.

One bag had not been closed and a man lay naked and exposed to view. He was a young man, killed in the prime of his life.

I asked a militiaman to close the bag. He looked at me and shrugged.

"For the sake of the man's dignity please close it," I pleaded.
He agreed and carefully rearranged the bag so that the man was covered.

Two days after a major international tragedy it is a group of gunmen who still dictate the terms of life and death.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28384930

Hear hear.

Are all of the passengers confirmed yet? What happened to the supposed 21 Americans on the manifest? Not seeing anything on the news about it.

A proportional response isn't warmongering, regardless. Economic sanctions are not a proportional response to killing the citizens of our country and our allies.

Only 1 person with American citizenship through dual nationality was killed. Still angry or does it not matter any more to you?

Just to be clear, exactly how many people would like to be killed before you'd consider "vengeance" satisfied?

I had no idea leading up to this tragedy that the Donbass region had recently been 'invaded' by Ukraine, and that the Ukrainian forces had been encircled.

Is this being discussed at all on the big news sites?

moonbox

Banned
The point is they have no idea who was taking the bodies, they didn't respond to any questioning, didn't even say where the bodies were being taken. If they gave full access to the site in the first place, less shady people would be there already helping to preserve the remains.

Preserve the remains? If history is anything to go by, somehow I just don't see that happening. Those bodies, they'll end up in a furnace or a massive hole in the ground, and no doubt the act will be covered up with bullshit lies and misinformation - nobody will find out where or how exactly the bodies were disposed of, but at some point in the future somebody will take credit for it. :/

kess

Dutch PM is furious about seperatists messing with the crime scene.

He spoke Putin minutes ago who promised him full support and no interference. But Rutte warned him that we are just about fed up with this bullshit and they are incriminating themselves by stopping reseachers.

Putin has the power to effect change in the rebel leadership, but is unable to get these guys the fuck away from the crash site. It's transparent as hell-- no wonder he's pissed.

Putin won't acknowledge he has influence over these separtists, and even if he does, I don't think Putin has them on speed-dial and simply has to make a phone call and they give full-acces to the crash site. I don't think Putin will do anything.

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member
Reporter on the ground with OSCE:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-28384930

Only 1 person with American citizenship through dual nationality was killed. Still angry or does it not matter any more to you?

Just to be clear, exactly how many people would like to be killed before you'd consider "vengeance" satisfied?

What makes you think I want vengeance satisfied? But technically, I would consider Putin a war criminal that will never be brought to justice. I feel horrible for the families. We should put a stop to any expansion of his influence.

He's lying to his people, Russian journalists resigning. Fight the spread of evil. This shouldn't be about vengeance.

raindoc

it's a media report, right?
if it was me cleaning up that mess as a "grunt" i'd also never tell a reporter where the bodies go to (or talk to them at all, even if had crashed without being shot down) and imho the media has the same right on full access to the/a crash site as the guys who shot it down: none.

100% agreed that it's the wrong guys handling this, but collecting the humain remains and preventing the media from besieging the storage facility is nothing that i find apalling.

Even if the US decides to get more involved (if they haven't already) you guys know that we won't be able to know about it. It would all be covert action since direct confrontation would lead to escalation with Russia.

LNBL

I think it's even a far stretch to get an actual apology from those responsible, let alone actual actions by the countries of those affected.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
It's unfortunate US and EU are detoriated to a state where they are unable to take decisive action against Russia. Watch this thing just gradually slide, with little ramifications to Russia.

Putin's Russia is escalating every month. It should be shown its place before all hell breaks loose. Missile up that Eastern border of EU, get the remaining countries along the border to Nato and show some spine.

yes Aggression with Aggression never escalates

Joey Fox

Self-Actualized Member

Ah, I see.

Getting vengeance will be impossible, as it's not necessarily those who fired on the passenger planes that should be brought to justice. It's the ones who gave them orders to shoot down planes in a peaceful country.

I think it is at least fair to secure the area, given what happened. More than words should be used in response.

lednerg

"Why I quit RT" [video]

RT journalist Sara Firth tells Channel 4 News why she quit the Kremlin-backed news provider - saying it was in response to RT's coverage of the MH17 crash.

Ms Firth told Channel 4 News that she believes RT was "disregarding the facts", and adds that she was not put onto stories about Ukraine because she is a journalist who "asks questions".

Kraftwerk

I don't wish to be insensitive and talk about money in a situation such as this, since no amount will ever replace your loved ones. Still curious;

Don't airlines pay a certain amount to families when a crash happens? Who will be responsible in this scenario? I would assume they will make Russia pay the victims families(?)

Joni

I don't wish to be insensitive and talk about money in a situation such as this, since no amount will ever replace your loved ones. Still curious;

Don't airlines pay a certain amount to families when a crash happens? Who will be responsible in this scenario? I would assume they will make Russia pay the victims families(?)

Malasyan will pay the standard €144K per victim.

LNBL

Malaysian Arilines is paying an initial $5.000 to every next of kin to pay for their expenses to travel to the crash site if they want.

Tapiozona

Banned

They can't make Russia pay anything. The US paid a settlement to every family (undisclosed) after they shot down the Iranian airliner.

TheContact

The handling of this is incredibly bad. Not to mention so incriminating.

Not to mention disrespectful. They can't even bury their loved ones because who knows where those bodies are going. I'd be FURIOUS if my dead loved one was being stacked on a truck of dead bodies and being hauled off to who knows where

I hope there's drones overhead Watching all this

Kraftwerk

Malaysian Arilines is paying an initial $5.000 to every next of kin to pay for their expenses to travel to the crash site if they want.

Malasyan will pay the standard €144K per victim.

SO initial $5k then the full $144k?

They can't make Russia pay anything. The US paid a settlement to every family (undisclosed) after they shot down the Iranian airliner.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that incident. Based on wiki the U.S paid a total of US$131.8 million.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
A commercial airliner was shot down and officials barred from securing the scene.

That's pretty damn aggressive.

I'm not saying it's not. it's a horrible act, but all the bitch slap the fuck out of Russia with Military action won't help either.. a damn cease fire needs to Happen Russia needs to pull out, people need to talk.

Mr.Mike

I had no idea leading up to this tragedy that the Donbass region had recently been 'invaded' by Ukraine, and that the Ukrainian forces had been encircled.

Is this being discussed at all on the big news sites?

This is the latest map in English that I could find. It is of course outadated by now as things change rapidly. The main Ukrainian goal right now is to cut off the separatists from the Russian border. They are currently embroiled in a battle over Luhansk, which is where some of the separatists are making their last stand. (The other last stand being Donetsk).

I think the plane incident occurred a bit north of Snizhne, but don't quote me on that.

LNBL

SO initial $5k then the full $144k?

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that incident. Based on wiki the U.S paid a total of US$131.8 million.

I'm not sure what the $144K is about, could be correct though.

The 5K was mentioned during a press conference at Schiphol

Roronoa95

Stupid question and maybe already answered but how many commercial airlines fly over Ukraine territory ?

It's hard to believe it was the first one, isn't it ? Because let's say, there were 50 planes a day fying over that region. Why the hell would they suddenly take down this one ?

raindoc

Stupid question and maybe already answered but how many commercial airlines fly over Ukraine territory ?

It's hard to believe it was the first one, isn't it ? Because let's say, there were 50 planes a day fying over that region. Why the hell would they suddenly take down this one ?
IIRC flightradar24 reported 2 other international flights in that area at the time of the incident.

Amir0x

Banned
Yeah...it really is. :(
And now more gunmen are going back to the crash site again:

Seriously. They can't even give the grieving relatives any peace, not only are their belongings being disrespected, stolen, mishandled, but their bodies are going who knows where, the investigation is clearly being either intentionally or unintentionally bungled by sheer incompetence, and this is all stuck between some bullshit political quagmire started because Putin didn't know when to put a lid back on the monster he unleashed.

One fucked up shit story after another :(

Putin won't acknowledge he has influence over these separtists, and even if he does, I don't think Putin has them on speed-dial and simply has to make a phone call and they give full-acces to the crash site. I don't think Putin will do anything.

Not acknowledged lol. So someone without his knowledge give terrorists vehicles, weapons and assault Ukraine with Grad from Russian territory?

I assume LifeNews, et al. are still being allowed access to the crash site that the investigators are denied?

Yes, all russian TV is allowed to be present. If something happen, they are first who transported to place.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Maybe I'm being very naive here, but this is still Ukraine, and if the Ukrainian government gave them permission, could the Dutch and Malaysians not take over this under their own military auspices, and do so immediately?

I mean, what, these separatists will attack Dutch or Malaysians then?

This situation is ridiculous. The Dutch and/or Malaysians should have been allowed take a handle of this area under their own military protection from day one.

Amir0x

Banned
Maybe I'm being very naive here, but this is still Ukraine, and if the Ukrainian government gave them permission, could the Dutch and more Malaysians not take over this under their own military auspices, and do so immediately?

I mean, what, these separatists will attack Dutch or Malaysians then?

This situation is ridiculous. The Dutch and/or Malaysians should have been allowed take a handle of this area under their own military protection from day one.

I mean, these are separatists, some without clear or agreed upon agendas or goals, being led with weapons they clearly have not been trained to use properly. There's really no way to predict HOW they would react. I mean, they've been firing in the air and shit to prevent any investigators from getting close, these are not people thinking about anything but covering up what they did. I'm sure they could be quickly overrun, but they have probably already corrupted so much of the evidence that it would be a rather pointless affair. Passports, blackbox, etc have all been reported to have gone missing iirc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom