• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simply delusional. Stop giving the families false hope.

It's harsh, but all of those people are dead. It's an awful thing, whatever happened; but they're all dead.

I think the acceptance part of that is more so up to the families than it is to us. We can't fathom how they feel right now, and I'm not sure what part they are in acceptance of this, but the last thing is to say to them - "THEY'RE ALL DEAD." Back in their minds they know quite well.

Also note that we can accept the fact *much* easier given we have no association or bond with those who perished in the flight.

Log4Girlz

Supposedly the 30 day limit is the guaranteed life expectancy of the battery. It can still send ever weaker signals for many weeks after that.

MIMIC

Banned
Good that the pinging has been reacquired. Was reading USA Today and saw the "breaking news" banner:

Australian searchers have relocated an underwater electronic signal that could be from the missing Malaysian jetliner in the Indian Ocean, the search coordinator says.

Angus Houston, who is leading the joint search, said in Perth on Wednesday that equipment aboard the Australian ship Ocean Shield twice reacquired signals first detected last week that could be coming from the black box data and voice recorders on board the missing Malaysian Airlines Flight 370.

He said the ship has now heard the signal a total of four times, most recently a seven-minute transmission Tuesday night.

WorldStar

Banned
i don't get why the thread title has been 'Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean' for quite some time now when in reality we still don't really have a clue what the fuck happened

even the newest, arguably largest, lead is nothing more than hearing signals that initially seem "consistent" with a black box

MIMIC

Banned
So are they mapping this area yet or are they still trying to further isolate the pinging location? Because the black box won't be pinging for too much longer....

EDIT: Interesting that the guy holding the press conference said that nothing is conclusive until there is a visual sighting of the black box. After they heard the pinging from the Adam Air black box (in 2007), they considered the black box "found", mapped the area, and left.

The black box wasn't retrieved for another seven months. And it was exactly where they heard the pinging.

down where? they need to narrow down the search area first.

all the more reason to listen closely now, while it's still pinging.
Um... what? They've narrowed down the area already by quite a bit.
headlineImage.adapt.1460.high.1397018595272.jpg

MIMIC

Banned
How far out can those black boxes transmit? Because I remember reading that they had to be pretty much on top of it to even hear it.

JonnyBrad

4?!? what the... there should only be 2?

The 4 is the points where the ship was when detected. It could all be one ping. The currents of the ocean (which are very strong and hard to predict) mean the detection points move. You then have to get the mathematicians involved to narrow the search. Much like they did with the satellite pings.

Raist

Banned
So what the fuck was up with the ping detected by the chinese then? Because while it's apparent position can be a bit "off" depending on conditions, 600km seems like a huge difference.

Raist

Banned
Ah no, didn't see one. Sorry.

Distance between 1-3 (or 1-4) can't be more than 100km, if you compare how much it's zoomed in and knowing that the distance between the first two (australian and chinese) was roughly 600km. Maybe even less.

edit: actually a lot less if that zoomed in area is that tiny yellow patch on the original image.

seanoff

AND not a single piece of debris in sight yet? I'm confused.

There is a theory, the plane was deliberately ditched. not crashed.

basically US Air Hudson river landing out at sea.

the ocean swell out there has a long wavelength, it would have been light when it went in, put it down in the trough between waves. minimal damage to the aircraft, which then sinks more or less intact.

so more or less

Plane_crash_into_Hudson_River_(crop).jpg

liquidtmd

Banned
If they find the plane not in many, many bits then it was landed deliberately - which scuppers the 'pilot' was incapcitated theory. But its location in terms of flight time indicate it had certainly ran out of fuel.

If it was landed deliberately then the passengers may well have been alive / conscious when it went down which is even worse to contemplate than it already is.

BowieZ

Banned
Is there any way that the pilot/antagonist escaped the plane and let it fly away unpiloted? (for whatever purpose) Thus offering an alternative to the suicide aspect?

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Ty4on

Is there any way that the pilot/antagonist escaped the plane and let it fly away unpiloted? (for whatever purpose) Thus offering an alternative to the suicide aspect?

Sorry if this has been brought up before.

Probably the only passenger jet where you can escape mid flight is the Boeing 727. Here's the GIF of what D.B. Cooper probably did on one.
The plane was also flying as slowly as possible and of course not pressurized.

keuja

I hope one of the passengers or the crew could write a report of what happened during those long hours on their ipad, note book or whatever…
It’s a shame that in this day and age only the last 2 hours of conversation can be recorded in the black box… It should be mandatory to record everything.

liquidtmd

Banned
I hope to god for the relatives sake things become a little more straightforward now they 'think' they're narrowing down the search area.

Imagine more confusion and mystery if the wreckage is not found. Or found with the plane in one piece and no data on the Black Boxes. Or a plane with no bodies at all?

MIMIC

Banned
There is a theory, the plane was deliberately ditched. not crashed.

Well that's what I've been thinking since day 1. People just "assumed" that it slammed into the water. But that just didn't make sense to me. Why would a pilot not try to land the plane?

I don't think he'd run out of fuel and then just say "fuck it".

liquidtmd

Banned
Well that's what I've been thinking since day 1. People just "assumed" that it slammed into the water. But that just didn't make sense to me. Why would a pilot not try to land the plane?

I don't think he'd run out of fuel and then just say "fuck it".

The theory it slammed into the water fits in with more hypotheses about the case as a whole - i.e. pilots incapacitated and it ran on autopilot / suicide / hijacked.

A case where the plane did a conscious U-Turn, turned off it's transponder and comms, skirted Indonesian airspace / radar and flew onto its destination to a point where it was obviously running out of fuel but the pilots WERE conscious enough to try and deliberately land the plane (indicating an element of care) yet do this in a position more than 600 miles off the coast so death was almost certain anyway - that's just perplexing as no motive can really be even attempted (maybe it can, but I can't envisage one). There's nothing else around there country wise and if Australia was the end goal, they could have reached it easily in terms of fuel.

As such, people are commonly throwing around the 'slamming into the ocean' idea as it's more acceptable. Whether its the truth or not is another matter.

MIMIC

Banned
The theory it slammed into the water fits in with more hypotheses about the case as a whole - i.e. pilots incapacitated and it ran on autopilot / suicide / hijacked.

A case where the plane did a conscious U-Turn, turned off it's transponder and comms, skirted Indonesian airspace / radar and flew onto its destination to a point where it was obviously running out of fuel but the pilots WERE conscious enough to try and deliberately land the plane (indicating an element of care) yet do this in a position more than 600 miles off the coast so death was almost certain anyway - that's just perplexing as no motive can really be even attempted (maybe it can't, but I can't envisage one). There's nothing else around there country wise and if Australia was the end goal, they could have reached it easily in terms of fuel.

As such, people are commonly throwing around the 'slamming into the ocean' idea as it's more acceptable. Whether its the truth or not is another matter.

Why are the pilots incapacitated?

liquidtmd

Banned
Why are the pilots incapacitated?

In response to the earlier point of them deliberately trying to land the plane as opposed to slamming it into the ocean.

In what scenerio would whoever in control of the plane consciously choose to be 600+ miles off the coast and try to bring the plane down gracefully after running out of fuel, a fact of which they would have been well aware of?

Not slamming into the ocean says to me / gives an indication of actually caring how the plane ends up. Which doesn't really tally with, you know, being there in the first place. As such, incapacitated makes more sense to the layman which is why the idea it slammed into the ocean has more traction - the point I was responding to (although again it doesn't make it any more true).

MIMIC

Banned
In response to the earlier point of them deliberately trying to land the plane as opposed to slamming it into the ocean.

I meant "how" are the pilots incapacitated? What brought them to their state of incapacitation?

In what scenerio would whoever in control of the plane consciously choose to be 600+ miles off the coast and try to bring the plane down gracefully after running out of fuel, a fact of which they would have been well aware of?

I have no idea. I just doesn't make sense to me to fly for 7 hours and then crash the plane. I could understand if it was immediate. But seven whole hours?

liquidtmd

Banned
I meant "how" are the pilots incapacitated? What brought them to their state of incapacitation?

Many theories but ultimately it boils down to:

Technical: Some kind of smoke inhalation or loss in pressure that knocked out all on board but didn't tank the plane

Human Factor: Someone took the pilots out

If the route around Indonesia is to be believed though, this is looking less and less likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom