• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quite strange, and annoying, how even though there's a category 5 cyclone currently heading for far north Queensland (where I am) this is still the main headline on most Australian News articles. I understand that there's a lot of families that desperately want a verdict, but this system is potentially deadly.

Bah, anyway, sorry to go off topic a bit, but I couldn't find a thread about Cyclone Ita.

WoodWERD

More 'possible' ping action:

A new possible signal has been located underwater by searchers hunting for the missing Malaysia Airlines jet, the official heading the operation said Thursday.

An Australian navy aircraft picked up the signal in the same area a ship first heard sounds consistent with an aircraft's black boxes earlier this week, retired Air Chief Marshal Angus Houston confirmed.

“The acoustic data will require further analysis overnight but shows potential of being from a made-made source,” he said in a statement.

That's basically the entire statement on NBC
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/mi...-pings-heard-hunt-missing-flight-mh370-n76561

dejay

Banned
Quite strange, and annoying, how even though there's a category 5 cyclone currently heading for far north Queensland (where I am) this is still the main headline on most Australian News articles. I understand that there's a lot of families that desperately want a verdict, but this system is potentially deadly.

Bah, anyway, sorry to go off topic a bit, but I couldn't find a thread about Cyclone Ita.

I'll make a thread for you junior!

(edit) Here 'tis.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=107672984#post107672984

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Reports of unscheduled press conference by Australian Prime Minister at 2:45PM AEST / 4:45UTC / 0:45AM US EST.

Rumors abound, did they find the blackbox?

I hope they can finally crack this mystery. I think any new confirmed news should have its own thread so we can finally let separate it from this mega-thread.

MIMIC

Banned
Bump:

Australian PM: Confident we know position of the flight recorder within "some kilometers"

Apparently he didn't get the memo about cautious optimism :)

HoosTrax

Every time I come into this thread, it seems as though there's breaking news that doesn't turn out to be anything.
You think this thread is bad, how about waking up every morning, going to the CNN site to check morning news, only to find a humongous, all-caps Breaking News headline banner about some MH370-related development that you could swear is the same as one from yesterday.

MIMIC

Banned
You think this thread is bad, how about waking up every morning, going to the CNN site to check morning news, only to find a humongous, all-caps Breaking News headline banner about some MH370-related development that you could swear is the same as one from yesterday.

You'll know that the plane was found because they'll make the letters so big that they won't fit on the screen :)

g2mvyi4.jpg

Ensirius

Bump:

Australian PM: Confident we know position of the flight recorder within "some kilometers"

Apparently he didn't get the memo about cautious optimism :)
I'm following this through Circa on my Android phone and they are saying pings were most likely not coming from anything related to the black boxes, or the plane for that matter. (?)

SmokeMaxX

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/wor...made-mid-flight-call-report-article-1.1754309

Co-pilot of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 made desperate phone call seconds before plane went off radar: report

Moments before Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 went off the radar, its co-pilot allegedly made one last call for help.
Fariq Abdul Hamid tried making a call from his cell phone as the doomed Boeing 777 flew low over the Malaysian city of Penang, the New Straits Times reports.
His phone reportedly connected with a telecommunications tower in the city before it was cut off.

Enron

Banned
There is a theory, the plane was deliberately ditched. not crashed.

basically US Air Hudson river landing out at sea.

the ocean swell out there has a long wavelength, it would have been light when it went in, put it down in the trough between waves. minimal damage to the aircraft, which then sinks more or less intact.

so more or less

Plane_crash_into_Hudson_River_(crop).jpg

ah hahahahah No. not even close. A plane trying to land like that on the ocean would break into a thousand pieces. The Hudson River landing only worked because 1. the plane was a lot smaller and 2. the river is far less choppy

Um... The plane was 200 miles away from the coast when it disappeared. How in the world was the co-pilot able to connect with a city cell tower??? In flight sat phone?

Forsete

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_recorder

A standard CVR is capable of recording 4 channels of audio data for a period of 2 hours. The original requirement was for a CVR to record for 30 minutes, but this has been found to be insufficient in many cases, significant parts of the audio data needed for a subsequent investigation having occurred more than 30 minutes before the end of the recording.

2 hours? What is this? 1990ies? Tell me the modern ones records for longer periods.

-KRS-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight_recorder

2 hours? What is this? 1990ies? Tell me the modern ones records for longer periods.

From what I understand, no not really. :(
I guess it's a matter of cost or something, but it's still pretty terrible. Especially with flights that are longer than 2 hours, which are a lot of them. Although I guess with most aviation accidents there won't be a need for more than 2 hours of audio because they generally happen pretty fast. MH370 is really a special case.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom