• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkhero1

I just find this stuff shared on my facebook timeline, it's fascinating http://www.reshareable.tv/first-ever-aerial-footage-of-uncontacted-amazon-tribe.html.

This is the tribe I was talking about, but I think they had pictures. This is the first time I've seen the footage. Thanks for sharing.

Also:

This is a really interesting video and one which deserves a few minutes of your time to watch. This looks like a scene from Avatar. The tribe, unaware of the rest of the world, its history, and Miley Cyrus ...

lol

raindoc

Italian and Austrian nationals (which the passports were, right?) do not need transit visa as long as they:
- don´t stay longer than 72h
- don´t change the airport
- have a ticket for a flight out of China
...which they all had. Reading the Chinese visa regs I´d say it was the reason they changed passports.
I don't think anyone needs a visa if they don't plan on leaving the airport and will continue their travel within 24hrs.
They planned to immigrate illegaly to Europe, hence the fake passports. Entering germany (or any other country) with your own passport is not a good idea, if you're planning to stay there without the authorities knowing.

? Its the official visa language. When they´re just transferring flights, they do exactly what I wrote.

*Visas are not required of aliens who hold air tickets to the final destination and have booked seats on international airliners flying directly through China, and will stay in a transit city for less than 24 hours without leaving the airport.

http://www.passportvisasexpress.com/visa_services/china/country_information/chinese_transit_visa

Hammer24

Banned
I don't think anyone needs a visa if they don't plan on leaving the airport and will continue their travel within 24hrs.

There is an exemption, when the connecting flight is not the same airline, for some nations. But this leads too far OT. Fact is, they didn´t need any kind of visa.

Daheza

I could have sworn I saw a photo this morning that had the pings from radar mapped with lines pointing towards andaman islands. I can't seem to find it now. Has anyone else seen a photo like this?

Tugatrix

yea, they are near india, very beautiful islands with people who shoot arrows at anyone who tries to come by. pretty sure they killed a diver or somone a few years back

edit
sentinelese_jpg_2467150b.jpg

looks like they killed a fisherman, then they shot arrows at helicopters who tried to recover his body

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...kills-fishermen-who-strayed-on-to-island.html

What would they think of a plane crashing on their island? also if they are so hostile how would authorities enter the island to recover the wreckage without a bloodshed

Vagabundo

What would they think of a plane crashing on their island? also if they are so hostile how would authorities enter the island to recover the wreckage without a bloodshed

Full tactical gear and tranq darts or other non-lethal weaponry. It wouldn't be pretty though.

Daheza

Full tactical gear and tranq darts or other non-lethal weaponry. It wouldn't be pretty though.

Just for reference Tranq darts look cool in the movies but are not practical for humans.
Wiki LInk

They would probably have to go through and use tear gas or something to make them leave the area. It would not be easy.

Falk

that puzzling face
re: the Iranians on board

http://time.com/20592/mh370-nourmohammadi-iran-malaysia/

Sure, as Time goes the article is a little overdramatized but ASSUMING Time isn't posting a bunch of fabricated bollocks the stuff on his facebook page for example makes it really hard to think the two of them would hijack a plane. And the investigators would have jumped all over it if the leads had gone anywhere.

Shady, yes. Sinister, no, not getting that vibe.

This really is a situation where the easiest/most obvious answer isn't actually the solution. Or, at least, the easiest/most obvious answer according to currently available data.

Munin

re: the Iranians on board

http://time.com/20592/mh370-nourmohammadi-iran-malaysia/

Sure, as Time goes the article is a little overdramatized but ASSUMING Time isn't posting a bunch of fabricated bollocks the stuff on his facebook page for example makes it really hard to think the two of them would hijack a plane. And the investigators would have jumped all over it if the leads had gone anywhere.

Shady, yes. Sinister, no, not getting that vibe.

This really is a situation where the easiest/most obvious answer isn't actually the solution. Or, at least, the easiest/most obvious answer according to currently available data.

This is so heartbreaking...stuff like this makes you realize that there really are so many people that vanished with this flight, all of them with their own lives, dreams, hopes. Sometimes it's hard to stop looking at it as some sort of statistic that's somehow removed from real life.

Grym

yea, they are near india, very beautiful islands with people who shoot arrows at anyone who tries to come by. pretty sure they killed a diver or somone a few years back

edit
sentinelese_jpg_2467150b.jpg

looks like they killed a fisherman, then they shot arrows at helicopters who tried to recover his body

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...kills-fishermen-who-strayed-on-to-island.html

I"ve never heard of this place. Interesting. I was just checking it out on google maps and you can see the remains of a shipwreck right off the coast of Sentinel Island too

https://goo.gl/maps/TJuMB

apana

Hate to speculate too much but if somebody paid one of the pilots to land the plane, could the pilot actually live in peace afterwards and be able to spend the money? I somehow doubt that, otherwise we would see more stuff like this. Being an international criminal would probably offset the gains from the money unless the perpetrators promised to hide him and give him a new identity. Also if the plane did land somewhere could someone with technical expertise be able to make the plane go completely "silent". Meaning it would give off no signals and become undetectable.

Falk

that puzzling face
Also if the plane did land somewhere could someone with technical expertise be able to make the plane go completely "silent". Meaning it would give off no signals and become undetectable.
There's two kinds of radar (as pertaining to the disappearance and tracking of MH370 at least). Civilian air control (requires transponder to be on, reports information about plane) and military radar. Unless you retrofitted the plane with secret stealth technology (lol) it's going to show up as a plot on military radar regardless.

HoosTrax

If they're completely disconnected from modern society what do they think of helicopters and planes flying by? Just evil spirits? Or are they less disconnected than what I thought
I'm not sure what kind of spiritual (pagan?) beliefs they might have, but imagine seeing a helicopter or plane. I can totally imagine that kind of experience influencing those beliefs.

Edit: I think I just went total Star Trek, with the Prime Directive line of thinking...

I find our way of life a lot more hilarious than theirs
Pretty much. Living to survive is pretty easy to comprehend. Some of our own first world problems just defy explanation...

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Dropping in.

Any new developments since the press conference this morning?

here is a good link that only deals in facts. I asked a pilot friend of mine what airline pilots are making of this whole thing and he directed me here.

If the fact isn't verified by the editors, it's not posted as news.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

edit: my whole take on this thing is basically these two passages from the link above

According to The Aviation Herald's radar data the aircraft was last regularly seen at 17:22Z (01:22L) at position N6.9 E103.6 about half way between Kuala Lumpur and Ho Chi Minh City (Vietnam) at FL350 over the Gulf of Thailand about 260nm northnortheast of Kuala Lumpur and 90nm northeast of Kota Bharu 40 minutes into the flight, followed by anomalies in the radar data of the aircraft over the next minute (the anomalies may be related to the aircraft but could also be caused by the aircraft leaving the range of the receiver).

On Mar 8th 2014 aviation sources in China reported that radar data suggest a steep and sudden descent of the aircraft, during which the track of the aircraft changed from 024 degrees to 333 degrees. The aircraft was estimated to contact Ho Chi Minh Control Center (Vietnam) at 01:20L, but contact was never established.

once they locate the wreckage I'll be very interested to hear the blackbox analysis. It's going to be something like Air france all over again.

once they locate the wreckage I'll be very interested to hear the blackbox analysis. It's going to be something like Air france all over again.
If. I fear it may never be found, the families affected never getting closure, and we'll never have a good explanation. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom