• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 ended in the Southern Indian Ocean

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
If. I fear it may never be found, the families affected never getting closure, and we'll never have a good explanation. :(

nah, it'll be found. there's already 'potential wreckage' sites. boeing will put a LOT of money into getting this back. They need to ensure there isn't a serious safety problem with the aircraft. Don't expect an explanation for 3 years or something though. When air france happened they located it after 3 days. But actually fishing the box off the bottom of the ocean took forever. But they did it, because they needed the info. Apparently (can't find a source) Airbus made changes after that based off the data.

The only way to sum this up so far is:

Everything is possible. Nothing is confirmed.

I'll post it again.
http://avherald.com/h?article=4710c69b&opt=0

^all verified info. I might actually just post it every time I look in this thread, because I don't know why but wild 'maybe it's in x land and they're all on a beach' type of discussions really irk me. I can't figure out why. Theres a woman at work who watches all these kind of discovery 'air crash investigations' and tells the most BULLSHIT stories about them all, she remembers shit all facts and obviously thinks this one is going to be a miracle story of recovery and everyones fine. God damnit it's frustrating. These poor people are obviously dead.

Ovid

here is a good link that only deals in facts. I asked a pilot friend of mine what airline pilots are making of this whole thing and he directed me here.

If the fact isn't verified by the editors, it's not posted as news.

edit: my whole take on this thing is basically these two passages from the link above

once they locate the wreckage I'll be very interested to hear the blackbox analysis. It's going to be something like Air france all over again.
Thanks.

Cat Party

nah, it'll be found. there's already 'potential wreckage' sites. boeing will put a LOT of money into getting this back. They need to ensure there isn't a serious safety problem with the aircraft. Don't expect an explanation for 3 years or something though. When air france happened they located it after 3 days. But actually fishing the box off the bottom of the ocean took forever. But they did it, because they needed the info. Apparently (can't find a source) Airbus made changes after that based off the data.

I'll post it again.

^all verified info. I might actually just post it every time I look in this thread, because I don't know why but wild 'maybe it's in x land and they're all on a beach' type of discussions really irk me. I can't figure out why. Theres a woman at work who watches all these kind of discovery 'air crash investigations' and tells the most BULLSHIT stories about them all, she remembers shit all facts and obviously thinks this one is going to be a miracle story of recovery and everyones fine. God damnit it's frustrating. These poor people are obviously dead.
What conclusion are you drawing from that information? It seems like the debris and radar data are at odds. I'm not one for speculation, and I think a crash is most likely, but at this point, I can't rule anything out.

I watched a documentary about that the other day - they changed the pitot tubes (they became filled with ice and could no longer provide air speed readings).

I watched a documentary about that the other day - they changed the pitot tubes (they became filled with ice and could no longer provide air speed readings).

They already knew. They had put out a bulletin to replace the tubes over time. Once the accident happened they very quickly updated the rest of the fleet.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
This one?

Bis68mGCQAERHj4.jpg:large

If that's at all true, they blew some serious fuckin fuel with the hop from Vampi to Gival. You just don't turn those things like that, not even on a broad scale.

Slime

Banned
At this point I'm just going with:
-some sort of fire broke out in the cargo hold
-the pilot tried to communicate, but a bunch of electronics had been badly damaged
-they tried to turn back manually, but by then the fire had incapacitated everyone on board
-the plane continued to fly in the wrong direction until it ran out of fuel and crashed

Probably something unlikely or dumb about that, but it's the only way all the conflicting reports make any sense to me.

At this point I'm just going with:
-some sort of fire broke out in the cargo hold
-the pilot tried to communicate, but a bunch of electronics had been badly damaged
-they tried to turn back manually, but by then the fire had incapacitated everyone on board
-the plane continued to fly in the wrong direction until it ran out of fuel and crashed

Probably something unlikely or dumb about that, but it's the only way all the conflicting reports make any sense to me.

But who turned off the transponder??

You at home yet? I need this blog post.
Cheezmos post is it.

The blog posts misses they actually called for arms to protect themselves but they never got them. I just imagine them after the fact telling stories about these strange creatures flying and making loud noises. Its just crazy.

Slime

Banned
But who turned off the transponder??

Yeah, I dunno. I guess if a sudden fire or something inside the flight couldn't account for that, then it's unlikely. Can they tell the difference between it being manually switched off and being disabled by something like that?

The amount of fire required to do something like that would likely not allow the plane to fly for 4+ hours.

Yeah, I guess not. :/

Man, what a weird story. So many diverging points of data, and nothing seems to fit together.

What about the second transponder that's supposed to send a signal out upon impact?

The amount of fire required to do something like that would likely not allow the plane to fly for 4+ hours.

I am not saying it's a perfect hypothesis. We are certainly missing large chunks of data and it's really hard to come up with any coherent scenario that fits with all of the data we do have. I think a slow burning electrical fire seems more plausible to me than some sort of hijacking for instance. Odds are, the final explanation is going to be some combination of Mechanical failure and Pilot error.

Do commercial airlines have Carbon Monoxide sensors? I would assume they do, right?

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
What about the second transponder that's supposed to send a signal out upon impact?
If you ask me, I'm wondering if these things just aren't 100% reliable. Surely a part of the airplane that gets used often like the engines would be inspected a lot better than say a part of the aircraft that has a 1-in-a-million chance of ever being used? Or the plane crashed so hard, like a nose dive, it broke even the emergency transponders.

This is the only detail that keeps the conspiracy running that the plane landed safely somewhere. But if that's the case, how many places in the world could it have landed?
(the plane is most likely crashed IMO)

iJudged

Banned
Why not snap hi-res pix via satellite of the general area, post them online and let us the people disect them, provide the email or whatever system for feedback, and let us go to work.

Anything that we may find suspicious and that may look like something we report to be looked at and ultimately surveyed.

I feel like enough isn't being done.

Also, aren't there any satellite pictures of the area during the flight?

Grym

If there was an electrical fire, the plane wouldn't have turned in the complete opposite direction nor would have continued flying for several more hours.

That my biggest problem with everything. If it was a huge catastrophic event, why turn around? Right in front of you is Vietnam with hundreds of airports and places a plane that large can land. Turning around just doesn't make sense to me as a response to a malfunction

Why not snap hi-res pix via satellite of the general area, post them online and let us the people disect them, provide the email or whatever system for feedback, and let us go to work.

Anything that we may find suspicious and that may look like something we report to be looked at and ultimately surveyed.

I feel like enough isn't being done.

Also, aren't there any satellite pictures of the area during the flight?

http://www.tomnod.com/nod/

KHarvey16

If you suspect its an electrical fire you turn of all electronics.

Which doesn't line up with the information regarding the ACARS pings. What makes more sense given what we know is that someone knew enough to switch the transponders off but not enough to pull the ACARS breaker.

raindoc

Which doesn't line up with the information regarding the ACARS pings. What makes more sense given what we know is that someone knew enough to switch the transponders off but not enough to pull the ACARS breaker.
Would a Pilot know that/could he do it during flight?

KHarvey16

Would a Pilot know that/could he do it during flight?

Transponders are in the cockpit and they just have a knob you can turn to the off position. The breakers can be pulled in flight and I'm pretty sure pilots are taught how in case of fire or other malfunction. It would be in the manual as well I assume.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

what shocked me about that accident is that it was partly caused by the new learner co-pilot who was holding back the whole time on the control stick. Airbus controls work in aggregate, so the guy that was nosing down a bit, was counteracted by the learner who was holding back a LOT. resulting in a gradual nose up -> Stall -> fall -> death.

Captain figured it out right before impact :(

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom