• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bonnouji 1-35 (END)
2394785121wrjyl.jpg
The curse of Aki Eda has been broken. I'm amazed that I actually enjoyed something of hers from start to finish, particularly since the 'will they, won't they' plot line was resolved 1/3 of the way through, leaving the kind of slice-of-life setup that wouldn't usually hold my attention. And yet it did, largely through life-threatening levels of charm and sweetness. There was no serious relationship drama, but then there didn't need to be, as the characters and Bonnouji itself were able to carry the series along its gentle stroll towards wedded bliss. Surprisingly good stuff.

Also:

1. Alice
2. Nao
3. Akira
4. Nene
5. Rindou

Momo'll probably go on there providing her personality isn't shitty.

MANGAGAF SHOKUGEKI NO SOMA POPULARITY CONTEST

1 = 3 points. 2 = 2 points. 3-5 = 1 point. Please do 1-5 and not 5-1. Use real names or nicknames everyone knows for characters that are newer. I'll tally them up sometime.

1. Alice
2. Soma
3. Dojima
4. Stalker-kun (Subaru)
5. Alice's Mom

1. Nikumi
2. Soma
3. Hayama
4. Ryou
5. Jun

Jun x Hayama
for life. Unlike literally everybody who read the manga, end of the Autumn Elections was my faaaaaaave. I fuck yeah'd when
Hayama hugged Jun after that flashback and she had no idea what to do and then he realized what he did
. It's probably my favorite panel in the entire manga. It just came off as so genuine and real because of what it meant for him to win.

That said, picking my fave Soma character is like pulling teeth so I just went with
1. Hottest
2. Baddest Assest
3. Da GOAT
4. Callin' bitches bitches
5. 30 year old rack attack loli

There are so many great characters it's hard to pick a favorite and so many with potential. I mean hell, they BARELY introduced the Elite Top Ten and already I love the 1st's personality, SNAKE-senpai is amazing in one chapter and a bunch of the ones who didn't even really speak look super interesting.

I also love Hojou but she's barely in it unfortunately. Other than her MAD DUNKZ she hasn't shown up again.

SnS top 5?

1. Soma
2. Erina
3. Tadokoro
4. Ryo
5. Hashoko

Probably fucked up the spelling of the last two (tired zzz) but its alice's aide and erina's aide as 4 and 5 if someone tried to tally my vote and has no idea what I did

Soma

rankings

your
favorite
character
is
shit

honorable mention:
shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Turok_TTZ

Not buying that for a second Misuzu. That pure hate from Jun cannot be from JUST 3 DAYS. No way.

UQ HOLDER! 91

Touta, you need ambition. thunder spirit is correct.

Inuyashiki 39

Hiro livin' that dreeeeeaaaaammmmmmm~

If the mangaka's intent was to get me to secretly root for Hiro by killing 2channers then job fucking accomplished.

Kingdom 174-442

This is officially one of my favorite mangas of all time. I couldn't put it down. I wonder how the author will tackle the unification wars and Shin's massive loss to Chu.

He's a shitty comic relief character and nobody else bizarre believes he and Soma are canonically in an off-panel sexual relationship?

I really don't get why people write of Takumi as a complete gag character rather than a serious rival who just happens to get that trait treated as a joke. Hell, given the end of the Soma vs Subaru fight he pretty much has to beat Soma at some point.

That said DTL's reasons for liking him are still silly

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I really don't get why people write of Takumi as a complete gag character rather than a serious rival who just happens to get that trait treated as a joke. Hell, given the end of the Soma vs Subaru fight he pretty much has to beat Soma at some point.

That said DTL's reasons for liking him are still silly
Because he never does anything other than gags, probably. Hopefully any such fight occurs off panel.

Kieli

Interesting.

So the team of 4 were able to beat 3 Negi-level demons at the same time?

And Negi is only able to maintain Thunder God for a couple minutes?

Mediocre.

Because he never does anything other than gags, probably. Hopefully any such fight occurs off panel.

Except he does. I see a lot of people treat him like he has an awful track record, but he's lost literally 1 match, and he's still got a better track record than Alice or Hisoko, given he actually has a tie with Soma, whereas neither of those characters actually has any sort of win. He hasn't scored many wins because *shock* he still hasn't had that many matches. But given that he's still being portrayed as impressive (And seems to have grown a lot since his one loss based on Subaru's recent observation) I don't see how you can say he's not a serious rival for Soma just because he takes the rivalry too seriously

I don't think Takumi is going to be a big player going forward, kind of like Meat and the Polar Star guys. The group is probably going to be the ones who met up with the Elite 10 + Erina

Was he? Shit I guess then.

It was the top 8 from the elections. So Tadakoro, Kurokiba, Alice, Soma, Takumi, Subaru, Hayama and Hisoko. And Takumi honestly has a lot more setup to do well than many of the others, given that he needs to beat Soma at some point to win his knife back (And subaru is honestly destined for obscurity

Magi - 277

Wow, wasn't expecting
Mei's death
. Alibaba incoming next chapter, or end of it most likely.

Vagabond - 325~327

I wonder if Matahachi ends up teaching Kojiro? Anyways, Musashi has finally arrived.

I like Takumi just fine, it's just that all the characters are so likeable that he gets lost in the shuffle a lot. Something the mangaka is extremely good at writing is characters that are set up to be a trope who he takes down a notch through humor or other characters bouncing off of them to show personality they would never get to display in another manga. I seriously have to commend the comedic writing in this manga because unlike a lot of "comedy" manga this manga understands subtlety and timing (I know, subtlety, I said it) and the importance of straying away from standard Japanese humor. Therefore to a Western audience the comedy in Soma just "clicks" way more often than most other comedy and gag manga.

So basically, as a result, Takumi is just a big fish along with other big fish in a small pond. You can only focus on one fish for so long before another big one catches your eye. And since each person has their preferences for character type, he gets lost in the shuffle sometimes.

Now, with that being said, Nikumi is objectively the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom