• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it unlikely Soma is going to agree to do it though because he doesn't do stuff like that directly - he didn't save Tadokoro from expulsion just to save his buddy, he saved her because she was actually good enough.
So what will be his "excuse" for Erina?
Technically she was the first person he met at that school. Plus he has to fight those Azami faction Elite10 members anyway.... I also wonder if Dad Yukihira will also later down the road get involved

I have a feeling this isn't going to be just one arc but multiple making a Saga and even maybe endgame, something that might last years in publication.... I also think that Erina will get influenced by Soma in some way but someone else or herself will be the one that will save her

Zweizer

Banned
I put the craziness carnival of Baccano! and the romance between Horo and Lawrence as my standard in that matter, so that doesn't really help.

Probably I'm gonna reread Arpeggio of Blue Steel next and write something similar in vein.

Well, obviously the cast is not outright as memorable, but I think it's unfair to dismiss them, as part of my enjoyment of the series is to witness how a by all accounts pretty stereotypical adventuring party (with their quirks) deal wiith the notion of cooking monsters for food.

Soma 136

I want Sanzaemon to adopt me.

I dont think Soma is going to be the white knight that removes Azami and saves Erina. Instead he will just give her enough support until eventually she grows a backbone and can stand up for herself in front of her dad. Otherwise she won't be able to move forward.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So what will be his "excuse" for Erina?
Technically she was the first person he met at that school. Plus he has to fight those Azami faction Elite10 members anyway.... I also wonder if Dad Yukihira will also later down the road get involved

I have a feeling this isn't going to be just one arc but multiple making a Saga and even maybe endgame, something that might last years in publication.... I also think that Erina will get influenced by Soma in some way but someone else or herself will be the one that will save her

Azami will be a huge dick in a way that affects him and his actual friends negatively, I imagine. I don't see him just "saving" Erina because why would he? He doesn't really have a hero complex as far as I can tell. He's gonna do it, but I doubt it will be a direct response to Senzubean asking for it.

There's also the open question of why the fuck he thinks Soma can do this as opposed to Hisako or Alice, both of whom are actual friends/family of Erina.

Shengar

Well, obviously the cast is not outright as memorable, but I think it's unfair to dismiss them, as part of my enjoyment of the series is to witness how a by all accounts pretty stereotypical adventuring party (with their quirks) deal wiith the notion of cooking monsters for food.

The interaction between characters part might developed into something more prominent once they have more party members or/and rescuing Farlyn. It was show of what could have been when they meet with the orcs in chapter 9. Not to dismiss it altogether, it is just now the aspect of that isn't at the level of worth mention yet even though it's executed right.

Azami will be a huge dick in a way that affects him and his actual friends negatively, I imagine. I don't see him just "saving" Erina because why would he? He doesn't really have a hero complex as far as I can tell. He's gonna do it, but I doubt it will be a direct response to Senzubean asking for it.

There's also the open question of why the fuck he thinks Soma can do this as opposed to Hisako or Alice, both of whom are actual friends/family of Erina.

well he was the one that wanted Soma to be enrolled at the School.... plus he said Soma should ask his Father for other answers (aka he side-stepped on why)

Him and the 7th seat keep on spying on Soma as some person who will bring change to the school

idk if they're hiding something else or if it is just some Shonen protag thing

Erina and Soma are long lost twins #Shonen Logic #ScrewDNA

Zweizer

Banned
The interaction between characters part might developed into something more prominent once they have more party members or/and rescuing Farlyn. It was show of what could have been when they meet with the orcs in chapter 9. Not to dismiss it altogether, it is just now the aspect of that isn't at the level of worth mention yet even though it's executed right.

Oh true, that's fair enough. Kui Ryoko's writing has been great so far, so I eagerly await what future developments will be brought to the table.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
well he was the one that wanted Soma to be enrolled at the School.... plus he said Soma should ask his Father for other answers (aka he side-stepped on why)

Him and the 7th seat keep on spying on Soma as some person who will bring change to the school

idk if they're hiding something else or if it is just some Shonen protag thing

Erina and Soma are long lost twins #Shonen Logic #ScrewDNA

Senzaemon taking over from Hiashi Hyuuga as Master Geneticist

exactly... old man... powerful family name.... long hair

Also Azami also has a main base in 'Merica and some other influence in the Middle East apparently.... so are we going to see after this saga a Shokugeki WORLD TOUR saga?

Soma and his crew will need to each conquer a different countries elite cooking school in order to bring down Azami!

Zweizer

Banned
Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction ch23

Well, at least she's happy.

3cgsZXJ.png

Effing selfie sticks, man.

Soma

For all we know everyone that has a international background might join the Azami faction

That means Hayama (for reasons + he also has a gift like Erina) and the Aldini bros?
It would be a twist if the Aldini brothers join are maybe even their family's restaurant joins Azami's new world order

somedevil

Soma

For all we know everyone that has a international background might join the Azami faction

That means Hayama (for reasons + he also has a gift like Erina) and the Aldini bros?
It would be a twist if the Aldini brothers join are maybe even their family's restaurant joins Azami's new world order

Hayama won't join unless Jun does it as well. The one that has a good chance to betray is Ryo.

Soma

At least this gives some consistency (and a little depth) to Erina's character. Her calling Soma's dish in the opening chapters disgusting was her being conditioned to reject "common" ingredients and cooking rather than a reason less "tsundere for MC" trope.

Hopefully it is more of Soma nudging Erina to stand up for herself instead of a knight slaying her dragon for her.

Hayama won't join unless Jun does it as well. The one that has a good chance to betray is Ryo.
Oh Dang I forgot about him

yeah I still see Hayama joining up with Mr.Evil though... maybe Jun will be in danger of getting fired? Maybe something else but in the previous chapter after Azami's speech did his speech and walked away we saw that panel with the Spice Department
Then there was the panels of what the former 1st seat feared
Hayama has a similar ability like Erina... a unique nose and likely Azami will want to also train that

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yeah, I think Jun is going to be Hayama's motivation for sticking with Azami. The seminar needs funding and funding doesn't grow on trees.

I bet a lot of the clubs are going to get gutted, which is going to rouse Soma into action or whatever shounen nonsense.

Vecks

There's also the open question of why the fuck he thinks Soma can do this as opposed to Hisako or Alice, both of whom are actual friends/family of Erina

Well, in my opinion, perhaps he noticed that Soma is the one who causes the most conflict within Erina. The beginning of the series shows that she was much more strict and proud. The depiction in this chapter of the results of the brainwashing aligns more with how she acted in the earliest chapters. From the beginning of the series, Hisako never questioned her methods of judging food. Even Alice probably doesn't challenge her mindset because she too makes top-of-the-line, elite food. Soma, however, cooks however the hell he wants and even would use leftovers if that's all he had to work with. His style of cooking with freedom for everyone to enjoy is the opposite of the ingrained "education" of Azami.

Erina is no longer a little child, and she is one of the Elite 10, a governing body with power to rival the director. She should be able to refuse/resist/runaway with her grandfather or something. Yet instead she bends down the father's will so easily because of the trauma/brainwashing and whatnot. Whatever he says, she obeys out of fear. I think the goal is not necessarily for Soma to rescue Erina out of Azami's hand as it is to really rescue her mind and see that she doesn't need to give in to her father's control. That's how I see it, but I could also see it as a plain and simple shounen battle for dominance.

PK Gaming

Soma

These last few chapters have really made me feel for Erina. Her aggressive and confrontational persona is completely justified now that we have her backstory.

Oh wait, they haven't.

Hahahaha.

The upside is that Erina will maybe mellow out after Soma saves her? Idk

Lain

What the hell? Why does the most random crap manga get a show but one of the GOAT does not ;_;

Because someone has to pay for the anime to be made. Who pays for the anime to be made? The publisher of the manga. Why? Because they want to increase sales of the volumes/magazine the manga is published in.
This all brings us to: why would a publisher pay for an anime to a manga that's long concluded? It's unlikely it'll happen, though who knows, maybe one day it'll happen just like we got another Ushio&Tora anime.

Haly

I just realized what they do in Soma is kind of like this:
_mind_crush__by_sidneyqueengamer1-d5yd48r.jpg

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Why doesn't Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer have an anime? It's amazing.

Blame The Pillows record company. The author already have anime offer by Gainax, but the author and whoever responsible decide that if they're going to do it, they need to use The Pillows as the ost. Alas, the company didn't allow it, and the funding goes to make "Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt"

Maybe someday one of Mizukami Satoshi works get an anime

Dungeon Meshi - Current Impression
Great analysis.

Though as far as character goes, i can forgive the fact that the character is generic since the manga is more of a sitcom set in a dungeon. Maybe the author will expand their character more as they go deeper into the dungeon, but for now, it'll do. But dang, why the hate for the elf yo? She's this manga punchline and absolutely hilarious to watch

The only thing that surprises me from Shokugeki no Soma is the amount of posting it gets from GAF. It's a passable, enjoyable shonen about cooking, but there isn't a lot of stuff to discuss about the plot. The answer of 'What is going to happen to X?' is: They are going to have a fucking cooking duel.

Jeez.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Yotsuba 90- Look at this cute shit. I kind of agree with whoever felt like we're getting ready for a time skip, though maybe that's because I would super love to see grown up yotsuba. Wouldn't be a smart move, but damn if I don't want to see it.

Why doesn't Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer have an anime? It's amazing.

This straight up haunts me everyday. I could actually get my friends to watch an anime of it...

Soma 138

So they were the Elite 10. Oh well, that was pretty much confirmed already. That's about what I expected from Azami.

Not too hot on this literally being "Save Erina" the arc. I hope that doesn't mean she will just sit there helpless and get none of the character development she has needed since forever.

Shokugeki no Soma - Etoile 6

Probably going to drop this. I dunno.

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 22

Fuck the French

Akame ga Kill 63

Super drugs are one of the lamest things in battle series and everyone who uses them is a huge scrub all the time. Fuck you Hody Jones. I hope this ends soon. Esdeath's trump card is probably going to suck.

I'm unsure whether this new arc more closely parallels Soul Society or Water 7.

Probably SS because only Soma is not a jobber of a chef.

Soul Society.

At least Robin in Water 7 let herself be taken because she didn't want the Strawhats to all be killed by the CP9 and the guilt of her bouncing crews for all those years finally got to her. Also the "I WANT TO LIVE" scene is amazing

Haly

At least Robin in Water 7 let herself be taken because she didn't want the Strawhats to all be killed by the CP9 and the guilt of her bouncing crews for all those years finally got to her. Also the "I WANT TO LIVE" scene is amazing

Can't wait for Erina's "I WANT TO COOK".

Umibozu

Shin Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko 5
Glad he's safe, but it seems like things will only take a turn for the worse after just getting better.

Akame Ga Kill 63

So we've finally gotten to the point where Akame and her origin story (aka prequel manga) have become the central focus of the plot and Tatsumi has been downgraded to a monster to unleash in the final battle before he dies. Though I guess if the usual place Akame challenged Kurome to ends up being the church they had their final fight in the anime then that talk of the manga author giving a few ideas to the anime team for the finale were true :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom