• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

Azami will be a huge dick in a way that affects him and his actual friends negatively, I imagine. I don't see him just "saving" Erina because why would he? He doesn't really have a hero complex as far as I can tell. He's gonna do it, but I doubt it will be a direct response to Senzubean asking for it.

There's also the open question of why the fuck he thinks Soma can do this as opposed to Hisako or Alice, both of whom are actual friends/family of Erina.

Well, in my opinion, perhaps he noticed that Soma is the one who causes the most conflict within Erina. The beginning of the series shows that she was much more strict and proud. The depiction in this chapter of the results of the brainwashing aligns more with how she acted in the earliest chapters. From the beginning of the series, Hisako never questioned her methods of judging food. Even Alice probably doesn't challenge her mindset because she too makes top-of-the-line, elite food. Soma, however, cooks however the hell he wants and even would use leftovers if that's all he had to work with. His style of cooking with freedom for everyone to enjoy is the opposite of the ingrained "education" of Azami.

I think it's specifically because he's not friends with Erina but has an impact on her that makes him the person to ask. He's basically the opposite of what Erina is, a regular boy from a family run restaurant that cooks because he loves it and wants everyone to enjoy eating. He has no preconceptions about what food is and he works hard at it.

Hisako is Erina's friend but she also simply wants to impress Erina. Alice hasn't been in the picture for that long but has help a little bit to remove her from her shell. Getting pulled back suddenly is gonna need something drastic to pull her back. I'm sure getting her sense of taste assaulted by Yukihira's will help her snap out of it, lol.
Let's be honest. "Being friend of" or "Being crush of" or "Being boyfriend of" or "Being relative of" never stopped a male character from being The One to rescue a girl, so why should it stop Alice or Hisako?

Oh right, they're females in a shounen manga! They couldn't possibly win against a male character, much less say have an actual showdown against a male villain threatening the series' main girl.

Ultimately, it's not so complicated. The main character is Soma. There's a crisis for the main girl. The main character in the shounen story is therefore obligated by author and editor fiat to save the main girl. It wouldn't be Alice or Hisako, because they're female side characters.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul 46

Wouldn't putting up a fight give his son more time to escape ? Weird logic.

Didn't expect to see Noro instead of Kanae being send to stir up shit either but I can't complain, been waiting a long while for some Noro time.

Dunno how long this climax will last but the arc is already longer than the og Tsukiyama story.

Nisekoi 187

zzzzz

One Piece: Water 7 - Asspull Lobby

I'll never complain about Naruto's pre-chapter 600 asspulls again

Zweizer

Banned
Koe de Oshigoto! ch53

In the end, nothing beats a demonstration, huh?

dsWacUJ.jpg

That's actually kind of sad.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Let's be honest. "Being friend of" or "Being crush of" or "Being boyfriend of" or "Being relative of" never stopped a male character from being The One to rescue a girl, so why should it stop Alice or Hisako?

Oh right, they're females in a shounen manga! They couldn't possibly win against a male character, much less say have an actual showdown against a male villain threatening the series' main girl.

Ultimately, it's not so complicated. The main character is Soma. There's a crisis for the main girl. The main character in the shounen story is therefore obligated by author and editor fiat to save the main girl. It wouldn't be Alice or Hisako, because they're female side characters.

I don't know that I want to resort to a complaint of "stupid misogynistic shonen bullshit" before we even see what happens.

Anteater

Tokyo Ghoul:re 46

Tsukiyama actually thought of Yoshimura and Anteiku from this incidient, dude has changed a lot since he was first introduced in the story

bobohoro

So, I shouldn't read Re.Marina?

Denpa Kyoushi 136

Well, that went as expected. This arc still feels extremely pointless and overly dramatic/antagonistic just to get some character background in there.

Kyuur

Tokyo Ghoul 46
Dunno how long this climax will last but the arc is already longer than the og Tsukiyama story.

I feel like they're merging Gourmet + Aogiri Raid arcs, so I expect this to go on for quite a while.

Feels like CCG has been winning for too long now. I expect to see some major setbacks this time around.

I feel like they're merging Gourmet + Aogiri Raid arcs, so I expect this to go on for quite a while.

Feels like CCG has been winning for too long now. I expect to see some major setbacks this time around.

Have they though? I mean with the amount of losses they have of investigators it doesn't seem like they're winning at all. I guess you could call that a success but at the cost of a lot of lives.

Although I feel like Ui has a deathflag but that's just me.

dramatis

I don't know that I want to resort to a complaint of "stupid misogynistic shonen bullshit" before we even see what happens.
I'm not saying it's misogynist. But right now, it is unquestionably sexist.

Erina's father abused her as a child; she experienced several years away from his influence with the positive influences of her friends and family instead. Now her father comes back.

Instead of her grandfather approaching Erina and talking it out with Erina, her grandfather goes to Soma (a student he arranged to have at the school) and asks him to save his granddaughter. The grandfather makes reference to how Erina's family (Alice) and her best friend (Hisako) have helped Erina get better. And then he skips over them to ask a complete stranger for assistance. The setup treats the female as an abused victim who can't help herself...and her closest friend and her cousin apparently can't help her either. Why? There is no explanation for why Soma is better for helping Erina than Hisako or Alice. The only explanation that can solve that is the external knowledge we have that he is the main character of a shounen manga, and therefore he gets the right to play white knight by default.

Erina doesn't even get the choice to ask Soma for help. Her male guardian asks instead, because it's what he wants, not what she wants.

Shokugeki is enjoyable, but it's not that deep. It's not that different from Rukia needing to be saved by Ichigo and co. despite apparently being a reasonably strong, smart shinigami herself. The nature of Shokugeki is that it's a shounen manga. It will inevitably have shounen junk (it started with a lot of shounen junk!).

LeleSocho

Banned
Serious question, did Shokugeki no Soma ever gave the most remote appearance of not being sexist or to be different from other shonen? The first friend Soma makes in the academy is a girl that constantly, in every occasion needs his help to go on because reasons and there are tons of tropes that go specifically in that direction.

I'm not saying it shouldn't be discussed but sincerely i'm surprised that people are shocked of such development in the story as if it was presented as a bastion of good writing and equality.

upandaway

Erina's father abused her as a child; she experienced several years away from his influence with the positive influences of her friends and family instead. Now her father comes back.

Instead of her grandfather approaching Erina and talking it out with Erina, her grandfather goes to Soma (a student he arranged to have at the school) and asks him to save his granddaughter. The grandfather makes reference to how Erina's family (Alice) and her best friend (Hisako) have helped Erina get better. And then he skips over them to ask a complete stranger for assistance. The setup treats the female as an abused victim who can't help herself...and her closest friend and her cousin apparently can't help her either. Why? There is no explanation for why Soma is better for helping Erina than Hisako or Alice. The only explanation that can solve that is the external knowledge we have that he is the main character of a shounen manga, and therefore he gets the right to play white knight by default.

Erina doesn't even get the choice to ask Soma for help. Her male guardian asks instead, because it's what he wants, not what she wants.

Shokugeki is enjoyable, but it's not that deep. It's not that different from Rukia needing to be saved by Ichigo and co. despite apparently being a reasonably strong, smart shinigami herself. The nature of Shokugeki is that it's a shounen manga. It will inevitably have shounen junk (it started with a lot of shounen junk!).
It's definitely sexist in the sense that it could have obviously been written to play out in ways that emphasize women standing up for themselves (as it should in this situation compared to having a dude save her).

Regarding the actual story though it's too soon to say if it's as bad as you say it is. We just don't know anything yet. The wording was pretty bad, but we don't know if he talked to Alice or Hisako or Erina, we don't know if he only intends for Soma to do a specific task that only Soma can do (say, because of Soma's dad's connection to Erina) or how big of a role he wants Soma to play in whatever the plan is, if there is one. If Soma's involvement hinges on his connection to his dad, then I think it's fine.
The way it could play out for example is for Soma to refuse, call him out on his behavior (ignoring Erina to come ask him), and then Soma working together with Hisako and Alice and others to give Erina some courage to stand up to her dad by herself.

There's still plenty of room for things to turn out much better, but I can see why you'd be skeptical of that happening, because it's rare for Jump. And saying 'save her' is pretty incriminating

Rhapsody

Banned
Speaking of which, what is a good example of a manga/anime where the male and female leads are pretty much on even footing throughout?

Speaking of which, what is a good example of a manga/anime where the male and female leads are pretty much on even footing throughout?

.... I'm trying to remember some but off the top of my head
maybe Kingdom with Kyoukai and Shin?
probably other Seinien and Niche series too..... mainstream Shonen though? not so much

phaze

I thought so but so far I don't really see how they would extend it so much. So far it's only Shuu, Matsumae + Nora and maybe Kanae vs CCG. The auction had a lot much going on in it and was still finalised in 10 chapters.

CCG pretty much lost every single time in TG. Aogiri raid and the Cochlea break in + Anteiku raid

Elaborate. In detail.

- Base Luffy (and to extent, Zorro) getting thrashed around at Water Seven yet being on par with Blueno in Ennies Lobby. (No being sad about Robin, Usopp doesn't make it understandable)
- Gear 2
-Zorro's and to lesser extent Sanji's new abilities.
- Merry. I'm sorry but a ship sailing by itself is just too much, even with that Skypeia bit of foreshadowing.

The funny thing for me is that the manga was going into one direction before Erina's father appears: Soma duelling against the Elite Ten.
Now after having a new director and the Erina's subplot where the story will go? To Soma fighting against the Elite Ten. Yep, for all that seemed the biggest twist in the manga until now, the biggest status quo shake-up, truly it barely changed anything.

It's just that Soma won't be able to help Erina directly so in the end the way he will do it will be by beating the fuck up of the Elite Ten until he has their votes on this pocket, being able to kick Erina's father again.

Hunter x Hunter treats genders equally as far as I can recall

edit: Magi maybe? FMA?

out of WSJ HXH and Toriko might (but I think there was that Rin and Toriko scene in that Jewel Meat arc)..... but those females like Biscuit, Setsuno, etc... aren't main characters.
Then there are those who we don't even know if they are either gender like Nefroupitou and Joa...

Plus it is overly hard to find something from WSJ that would have a female protag that doesn't need her partner

Medaka box had Medaka crying for you know who

Wiseblade

- Base Luffy (and to extent, Zorro) getting thrashed around at Water Seven yet being on par with Blueno in Ennies Lobby. (No being sad about Robin, Usopp doesn't make it understandable)
- Gear 2
-Zorro's and to lesser extent Sanji's new abilities.
- Merry. I'm sorry but a ship sailing by itself is just too much, even with that Skypeia bit of foreshadowing.
Just because you don't like the explanations given to you for all of those points, doesn't make them asspulls.

Tokyo Ghoul:re 46

0WoLtoo.jpg

The face of someone sexually pleased.😏

Mirumo is truly a gentleman sacrificing his life in order for Shuu to live. Shuu's father really is influential considering he has lots of followers that help him keep Shuu safe. That scene where Shuu remembers Yoshimura's sacrifice was emotional as fuck, it made me really sad.😔 And seeing how Shuu didn't go back to save his father and not have his and everyone's sacrifice be in vain showed even more growth for Shuu. I really didn't expect the troupe of saving everyone be thrown aside this swiftly. The last page with Haise looking dead serious and Shuu's depressed looks was pretty unexpected.

As much as I feel really sad for the Tsukiyamas current situation I can't really get mad at the CCG for annihilating them. Ghouls pretty much ruined most of their lives in some way, so them wanting to kill them makes sense. Both CCG and Ghouls have their terrible sides so I don't understand why some are hating on the CCG. They're just doing their jobs. Plus the Tsukiyamas aren't as innocent as some want to believe as they did participate in the Auction arc.

That Noro and Eto appearance.😯

Tomo-chan wa Onna no ko! (Caught up)

Good laughs, unexpected twists that didn't lead anywhere but had humorous results and a great cast of characters makes this series into a nice warm bundle of joy. Great to read it by bits or 10 chapter chunks, either way this series is a hidden gem.

Berserk 340

Why can't we have Guts? I mean his fights are by far the most entertaining. Seeing this guy dominating is annoying. Guts could make him sweat bullets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom