• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember liking Hitsuji no Uta a lot, and that was 40+ chapters.

Yep, that's my favorite work of hers, so /high five! But precisely, that's one of her "intimate" works, imo. It was the couple, and 2-3 more characters.
Exactly, it was seven volumes long, the longest until Sing Yesterday for Me (the english title), which is11 volumes.

Undercurrent

gchz5m4.png

With the first pages, this started as the typical realist seinen manga, a boring real story of a totally mundane character in our boring real world. Exactly, it's about a woman whose husband went missing and she has to go on in her life while working in family business.
But the truth is that I found it pretty gripping, a story that is being opened bit a bit to mystery of the disappearance and what it really hides the two main characters in their past.
It express clearly and in a unpretentious way how horrible is this kind of situation, as she doesn't know if he left her for another woman, or he killed himself in a far away place, or he escaped outside the country, or had an freak accident, or what, so she has no closure at all. Looking at her mechanically gaze to newspaper suicide articles, and doubting about if she truly understood her couple is painful. But it isn't only full of angst, it has too a few humor moments that gives a needed levity and some SoL touches, and the plot advances eventually, with a decent resolution.

Great Teacher Onizuka - Volumes 1 to 25

It's been like ten years since I last read GTO, and a re-read was long overdue.
GTO's still one of my favourite manga ever, and I appreciated that reading even more now that I grew up a little and read Shonan Junai Gumi, Shonan 14 Days and Paradise Lost.

It's funny how GTO basically took SJG's insanity and amped it up to 11, and even more. The whole manga is full of awesome and funny moments : be it the monologue chapters, the Saejima chapters, the gonk deformations Onizuka goes through, the risqué chapters and insane stuff Onizuka pulls. Every arc is so good, and most of the characters go through genuine development.

The French translation which was done in the 2000s and one of the first official one to include a lexicon at the beginning of each volume to explain typical Japanese things is excellent. Props to Ayumi Matsushima for the first few volumes and Vincent Zouzoulkovsky for this.

It also pains me to see how Shonan 14 Days and Paradise Lost (for the moment) are way more safe, and take less risks.

10/10 would read again in ten years.

Now on to Shonan Junai Gumi

Seshiji o Pin! 20
Love the dance routine, the outburst, and the momentum of this series

Gamble Fish 168
I stopped around the chapter with King Obama on a motorcycle and skipped to the ending...doesn't look like I missed much <shrug>

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Did you ever think that Bakuman would have been like 10 times better if the fat guy and the main guy's ridiculous "we can't see each other" girlfriend were just not in the series at all

Did you ever think that Bakuman would have been like 10 times better if the fat guy and the main guy's ridiculous "we can't see each other" girlfriend were just not in the series at all

Girlfriend subplot was super lame, but I actually liked the times they actually came together, like during the sickness arc and where the GF broke the lame promise once to support each other.

I expected to loathe the non-relationship part of the romance, and I do think the way they went about it was blergh, but the Mashiro x Miho were pretty cute, even if sometimes really creepy.

Fat guy was just downright unnecessary, especially the 2nd/3rd time round.

Tomo-chan 162

Carol becoming their friends against everyone's wishes is the best thing to happen to this manga.

Also, this manga is starting to progress and I'm not sure what to do about all this development other than not get too excited about it considering how status quo mangas like to be.

Rhapsody

Banned

I don't mind Miho. I hated fat guy. Also hated that one fake mangaka that used the internet and even a whole company to build a manga story. It was lame that he was used twice to extend the series.

Nisekoi 187

She toss her husband into a cell as well.... he is the chef of police though
if he was really serious about his daughter's weeding then he should find a way to call a distress signal to his forces

Usobuko

Banned
Undercurrent

With the first pages, this started as the typical realist seinen manga, a boring real story of a totally mundane character in our boring real world. Exactly, it's about a woman whose husband went missing and she has to go on in her life while working in family business.
But the truth is that I found it pretty gripping, a story that is being opened bit a bit to mystery of the disappearance and what it really hides the two main characters in their past.
It express clearly and in a unpretentious way how horrible is this kind of situation, as she doesn't know if he left her for another woman, or he killed himself in a far away place, or he escaped outside the country, or had an freak accident, or what, so she has no closure at all. Looking at her mechanically gaze to newspaper suicide articles, and doubting about if she truly understood her couple is painful. But it isn't only full of angst, it has too a few humor moments that gives a needed levity and some SoL touches, and the plot advances eventually, with a decent resolution.

There is a one page epilogue if you read his short stories with coffee as theme. Not quite as good as Undercurrent but this guy has potential to get out of Hiroki Endo's shadow.

Rhapsody

Banned
Domestic na Kanojo 66

Yakuza guy was cool. Also hearing the mom say that maybe they shouldn't have gotten married kinda sucks :(
Undeserved guilt considering he liked Hina beforehand.

Stretch ch44

Don't let it end like this... &#65288;; &#65103; ; &#65289;

Don't worry, because in fact I'm thinking we are walking towards a resolution. They need first to be separated to admit to themselves their love ;_;

There is a one page epilogue if you read his short stories with coffee as theme. Not quite as good as Undercurrent but this guy has potential to get out of Hiroki Endo's shadow.

Oh, he is a Hiroki Endo's assistant? I noticed some classic style in his drawing, reminding me of Otomo and Endo. Yeah he has potential.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fairy Tail

Motion sickness as a legit plot point =/

Sekai Oni 85

Wait. Whoa. Wow. Hold on.

*goes back and rereads every World Devil fight*

Holy shit, Adachi really didn't see the end to all the fights Azuma won.

That is an impressive level of forethought and planning in the writing of this manga. Dude had to have laid out much of the story beforehand.

What a chapter. Azuma breaking down and Adachi getting pissed off. Man Adachi, you have certainly turned into a bad-ass these last 3 or so chapters.

Jitsu wa Watashi dad 94

Dammit Karen.

Jump #45 Rankings

One Piece (Cover and Lead Color Page)
1.Boku no Hero Academia
2.Assassination Classroom
3.Hinomaru Zumou
Nisekoi (Color Page + Special Chapter)
4.Shokugeki no Souma
Samon-kun wa Summoner
5.Haikyuu!!
Black Clover (Color Page)
Mononofu
6.Sesuji wo Pin! to
7.Bleach
8.Toriko
9.PSI Kusuo Saiki
10.World Trigger
11.Kochikame
One Shot
12.Best Blue
13.Kagamigami
Isobe Isobee Monogatari

Absent: Gintama

wonzo

Banned
2FTMYY7.png

Welcome to the NeoGAF Manga Reading Club for the month of October! What began as an effort by a bunch of nerds to force each other to read certain titles has expanded into a reading club that anyone can participate in, with a focus on picking a variety of lesser-known quality titles from all periods and genres of Japanese comic book history.

We've selected a series of authors to highlight each month, with occasional months dedicated to a certain topic or genre. This month's subject is Horror and what better time than around Halloween! Read on to experience some of the finest horror series manga has to offer&#8230; if you dare.

The Laughing Vampire by Suehiro Maruo

Panorama of Hell by Hideshi Hino

Left Hand of God, Right Hand of the Devil Umezzz

Cat Diary: Yon and Muu by Junji Ito

Future Months Planned (tentative)

KAGO CHRISTMAS
Japanese "Culture"
Fantasy
Taiyo Matsumoto
Osamu Tezuka
LGBT (yaoi/yuri/shounen ai/shoujo ai/etc.)

Previous Reading Clubs:

Moto Hagio
Usamaru Furuya

Lain

I'm not too big on horror (The Laughing Vampire is great though). I might try to read Cat Diary but not sure,
I'm more interested in what will be part of the list for KAGO CHRISTMAS.

Also please include Princess Knight in the Osamu Tezuka month, so I might finally get off my ass and read the volumes I have.

Shokugeki's spoilers seems good.

Anyway I like how the author is dealing with the Soma-Erina pairing. One thing that's clear is that Soma always teases and search out for Erina.

Not to say that he likes her just yet, but if does seem like the Author is writing Soma like how some teenage boys reacts around their crushes.

Zweizer

Banned
Don't worry, because in fact I'm thinking we are walking towards a resolution. They need first to be separated to admit to themselves their love ;_;

Yeah, that sounds like the most likely course.

2FTMYY7.png

Welcome to the NeoGAF Manga Reading Club for the month of October! What began as an effort by a bunch of nerds to force each other to read certain titles has expanded into a reading club that anyone can participate in, with a focus on picking a variety of lesser-known quality titles from all periods and genres of Japanese comic book history.

We've selected a series of authors to highlight each month, with occasional months dedicated to a certain topic or genre. This month's subject is Horror and what better time than around Halloween! Read on to experience some of the finest horror series manga has to offer&#8230; if you dare.

KAGO CHRISTMAS
Japanese "Culture"
Fantasy
Taiyo Matsumoto
Osamu Tezuka

Previous Reading Clubs:

Moto Hagio
Usamaru Furuya

Oh boy, it's gonna be an interesting session. I haven't read any of them yet, but they all look pretty promising. Can't wait to see what the Kago Christmas will bring, either.

Mikake no Nijuusei / The Faces of a Double Star

A totally normal high school girl meets by chance a totally normal genius scientist doing a totally normal teleportation experiment in the middle of street. Just the usual. Experiment fails, we have a new The Fly remake! Joking, experiment fails, we have an extra copy of the girl. She was copied, not moved.

It seems a light-hearted, quirky manga, and in fact it never leaves the light, fully nonchalant tone (and the protagonist isn't exactly the brightest bulb), but it soon shows there is a more serious side too, about her past.

That's the summary, but in the end I don't think it really meshes up both sides, the quirky and the serious, all that well and the resolution has a bit of mediocre execution and the final 'lesson' is all kinds of bland.

Zweizer

Banned
One Piece ch802

Crazy crew, crazy warlord, crazy island. Looking good. Hopefully Zou won't be as much of a mess as Dressrossa was.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
2FTMYY7.png

We've selected a series of authors to highlight each month, with occasional months dedicated to a certain topic or genre. This month's subject is Horror and what better time than around Halloween! Read on to experience some of the finest horror series manga has to offer… if you dare.

KAGO CHRISTMAS
Japanese "Culture"
Fantasy
Taiyo Matsumoto
Osamu Tezuka

Previous Reading Clubs:

Moto Hagio
Usamaru Furuya

Already read cat's diary. That' some good stuff

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch94

Well, it's a good sign that things aren't over as far as their relationship goes. As usual, Akane is such a devil~

This year's 45th issue of Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine will announce on Monday that Hideaki Sorachi's Gintama manga will not appear on the magazine that week due to the author's sudden illness. The magazine's editorial staff apologized to the readers.

The manga is slated to return after two weeks in Weekly Shonen Jump's 47th issue on October 19, but depending on when the details are decided, the magazine will post more information on the official Weekly Shonen Jump website.

Damnit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom