• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Tokyo Ghoul: Re 47

Chapter was too short, I want more damnit! Seeing Haise utilize his Kagune to climb is always great, iirc he did that a few times before right? I think during the auction arc and before as Kaneki near the end of TG.

Wonder where Rose met Hairu before, in the underground perhaps? Nevermind, I just remembered she was there at the original ambush.

Also, was that Noro? Looked a bit different than normal it seems. If it's Kanae, Noro must have also been a victim of Eto, similar mask and such?

Seems that way, unless that's just Ishida putting out a red herring.

No love for Shabondy? Personally one of my favorites.

I skipped ~half of it or so and thus cannot really form an informed opinion. Basically ended up reading the part since Rayleigh appearance in the auction and Luffy punching the dragon. Skipped the whole of Thriller Bark and Fishmen Arc too.

Your reading habits are your own, but I feel you may get lost on some things.

Edit: Read a end or two chapters of fishman arc too, so I know more or less about the Poseidon weapon and most of Big Mama stuff. Moria and Kuma who apparently showed up in Thriller Bark were about the only things I was a bit confused about but it's nothing major so far.

I skipped ~half of it or so and thus cannot really form an informed opinion. Basically ended up reading the part since Rayleigh appearance in the auction and Luffy punching the dragon. Skipped the whole of Thriller Bark and Fishmen Arc too.

Your reading habits are your own, but I feel you may get lost on some things.

Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction 24

Wow, that's what the invaders look like? This is so fucked, lol

Tokyo Ghoul:re 47

The teases have been so hard they no longer have any effect on me

Shokugeki no Soma 4

Huh.

g0mbiEB.png

Is this really the fourth chapter? Some
elite ten
in there and a girl that looks a lot like Ajimu from Medaka Box

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm pretty sure that headband girl was recycled into Hinako.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like how abacus girl became hunting girl.

I bet he gave the abacus to Aizen.

I mean Eizen.

Big One

Banned
You shouldn't skip anything in One Piece, bro. lol Pretty much everything is important in that series or WILL be important eventually. Some things of note from the arcs you skipped:

Thriller Bark
- Kumatora's fight with the Strawhats
- Brook's backstory
- Brook's song (legitimately one of the saddest moments in the series)
- Perona's introduction
- Geckoh Moria's introduction (likely to be important in upcoming Kaidou centric arcs)

Fishman Island
- If you skipped the introduction to the timeskip at Shaboady you missed out on Rayleigh's one page flashback about Roger showing their first introduction to each other.
- Backstory on Fishman's relationships with Humans
- Luffy being able to hear the voice of all things like Roger
- Ancient Weapon reveals
- Joy Boy reveal
- Big Mom and her crew reveal
- Luffy declaring war against Big Mom
- Jinbe declaring he's going to join the Strawhats...after he does something of course

Fishman Island and Skypeia, the arcs that people find the most boring/worst are probably going to be the two most important when it comes to the end game plot lol. They both have Poneglyphs on them, even.

Big One

Banned
Fishman Island and Skypeia, the arcs that people find the most boring/worst are probably going to be the two most important when it comes to the end game plot lol
Yeah especially
Madam Shirley's predictions and the angel races coming from the Moon
really set it off as endgame stuff.

Kurita

But Thriller Bark is one of my favorite One Piece arcs, I don't get the hate. The atmosphere on that weird island... Unreal, it was really gripping.

I really like Thriller Bark too. The aesthetic is top notch and I think Oda's art was at its best there. Moria is...not a great villain but Zoro's confrontation with Kuma is one of the GOAT scenes. Top 5.

Of course my favorite arcs are Marineford, Sabaody and Enies Lobby. Marineford is still the best arc I ever followed when it was happening. Every chapter felt massive, you knew that Luffy was looking at the real end game right there at the halfway point. Whitebeard was essentially a Raid Boss but on the heroes side, the WG needed to flex every muscle they had to take him down. Hell, even the three admirals together had trouble holding him back and he almost killed Akainu when he was nearly dead.

Okay, I actually thought about it and these are my top 10 fave OP scenes -

10. Bon Clay's "death" in Impel Down. Would be higher if he actually died.
9. Luffy declaring war on Big Mom at the end of Fishman Island and declaring FI is under his protection now
8. Walk to Arlong Park
7. Luffy punching the Celestial Dragon at Sabaody
6. Luffy's "Do I know how to throw a punch" on Bellamy in Jaya
5. Zoro's confrontation with Kuma in Thriller Bark and "Nothing at all"
4. The end of Sabaody when the crew is utterly defeated
3. Sogeking shooting the WG flag, Strawhats declare war on WG, Robin's "I want to live" in Enies Lobby
2. Blackbeard doing the impossible and stealing the Gura Gura and "THIS IS MY AGE"
1. Whitebeard's death scene, "The One Piece exists!" and his dying standing up

I get why people love Thriller Bark but I also get why people find it frustrating. Its the first arc imo where things start to drag in the middle even if I like a lot of what happens there.

Pumpkin and Mayonnaise

The drawing as you can see is straight josei, a mix of being stylized and simple and being realistic, with lines that are wobbly and shades aren't that important. I wonder who "invented" this style, given how closely tied to this audience is now.

This is the typical josei, you know, deep and mature and realistic and following the life of a normal girl, but behind the 'heavy' themes of the harshness of life, relationships, prostitution, etc, this story is fairly straightforward, narratively speaking:
Young couple where the guy is a good for nothing musician who is too idealistic and isn't working. Then there are two key plot points:
Plot 1: She tries to maintain both of them with her money in retail work, but it isn't enough so she starts working as hostess and
later prostitutes herself. But even if she has money, now she isn't truly happy, as what she did weighs too heavily in her mind, as the fact she would haven't do it if his bf had a job. She is a person that doesn't want to think always in money, to be one that values people with that stick, but the reality of having to pay the bills presents in her life harshly. He learns of it and she stops doing it, and after a rough time they seem to patch up their relation.
The problem is that her jump to prostitution feels forced, she didn't even think about it. And she had already two jobs, one of hostess, isn't that enough to maintain a small apartment and two persons without any luxuries? I know Japan is expensive but it can't be that much or half of Japan would be a post apocalyptic setting already! It feels unrealistic, as if only occurred because the author wanted so, because that's the story she wanted to tell.
Plot 2: her previous bf appears again in her life, and she still has feelings for him. You can imagine what occurs.
Cheating. And it's clear he is a womanizer without no intention of having a stable relationship, and she knows it, but she lies herself. The story starts with him as being the screwup, but in the end it's her the bigger screwup. She switches boyfriends. But by a random lucky chance she "wakes up" and breaks up with him, return to old bf, happy end.

All together a decent realistic tale of the bumpy road of love and life, where the heart and dreams and some idiocy makes people suffer and do crazy stuff, and the reader can suffer with the screwup characters.

Zephyx

Soma 137

Bring everyone to Polar Star! I hope she stays then gets a room near Soma. Either way, the current setting can be used to explore/deepen Erina and Soma's (and Megumi) relationship with each other.

Nisekoi 188

So Marika's the promised girl? I think she'll die or move away in this arc though.

Umibozu

Hime-sama Tanuki no Koizanyou 5

I keep feeling bad for the tanuki, I feel like the mc keeps slighting her. I don't even think that his childhood friend even likes him.

dani_dc

Somehow this is the first time I've seen someone do a write up on a hentai manga in this thread. In retrospect, it's probably more common than I would think.

You definitively see Hentai posts here and there.
Sometimes the impressions are so well written that you'd never figure out they were writing about hentai.

Foolworm

I thought saddest scene in OP was when they laid the Going Merry to rest. I still consider it the only crew member that the Strawhats have lost to date.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Dead dead demon dedededestruction 24
Oh boy, half a year til the end of mankind!?

Is my hobby weird? 1{NSFW}

A highschool girl with butt fetish meet a girl who like to be stared at... a match made in heaven.

Usobuko

Banned
Could you explain why? I don't hate Skypiea at all but Marineford is the ultimate for me.

Skypiea fulfilled the unrestrained imagination of One Piece which is the main draw to me in this series. I love the build up to this arc, where you have Montblanc Noland's descendant trying for umpteen years to fight against his fate and his heritage. In response, towards the end of the Saga, Shandia's Calgara drew his strength to use Reject Dial again for his ancestors too.

Marineford is where I realize Oda is terrible at large scale warfare because the focus and pacing are all over the places. Kingdom ( manga ) is better at this. It was cool to witness WhiteBeard and his division commanders powers though.

My favourite 3 arc is in this order. Enel Lobbies > Alabasta > Skypiea

Marineford is where I realize Oda is terrible at large scale warfare because the focus and pacing are all over the places. Kingdom ( manga ) is better at this. It was cool to witness WhiteBeard and his division commanders powers though.

Hah, Dressrosa is about 10x worse imo. Dressrosa would be if all those captains Whitebeard rallied under them had to get screentime equal to everyone else.

Shengar

Hah, Dressrosa is about 10x worse imo. Dressrosa would be if all those captains Whitebeard rallied under them had to get screentime equal to everyone else.

This
And Marineford War Arc is mostly fine in its pacing. IIRC, it doesn't have any extensive flashback chapters like Dressrosa did which mean the Arc is wholly focus on the event.

Well I don't really like One Piece fights to begin with. They always end on a satisfying note (Crocodile, Enel, Lucci, Doflamingo) but the actual fisticuffs are hardly ever to my taste.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I wanted to go buy the Blame! manga in print. Apparently that's impossible to do unless you want to pay exorbitant prices second hand :S

Who owns the publishing rights in the US? Is it Kodansha's discretion or does Tokyopop still own exclusive rights in the US? I went to Tokyopop's website and it's all Avril Lavigne looking garbage.

bobohoro

I thought saddest scene in OP was when they laid the Going Merry to rest. I still consider it the only crew member that the Strawhats have lost to date.

I'm with you, that's the one scene that legit makes me tear up everytime I revisit it.

In terms of arcs: Enies Lobby > Arlong Park > Marineford for me.

Youkai Shoujo 56

The author sure had some pent-up desires here.

Nisekoi 188

The fallout after they are successful will be akward.

bobohoro

Sometimes I'd like to see what'd happen if I wrote some recs without the NSFW tag~

Everyone already has an imaginary NSFW-tag added to your posts anyway, wouldn't change much~.

Sidonia No Kishi 1

That was...weird?
Like a slice-of-life chapter in the middle of a series on fast forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom