• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs (rec), reviews (rev), impressions (imp). If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga.

1. But in the end it makes a good still picture of a situation, a mood, in a very natural way. For See you in Eden. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  2. The theme of human emotions and technology is an interesting one. For The Music of Marie. From Lain. (rev)
  3. It does feature several pretty disturbing elements such as indoctrination and gore. For Our Light Club. From Zweizer. (rev)
  4. Imagine, if you may a XIX century-style war between fantasy Japan and fantasy Russia. For Imperial Guards. From Turin Turambar. (imp)
  5. Another 4koma that is really cute. It's a story about a popular ladies man falling for a man killer. For Takane no Hana nara Ochitekoi 01. From Sir Blaming.
  6. I still enjoyed it more or less and some parts were good. For The Moonlight that Surrounds Me. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  7. Dungeon Meshi got me to some rethinking. For Dungeon Meshi. From Shengar. (LONG)
  8. Wakabayashi is back with more labu comedy! For Boku wa Ohime-sama ni Narenai. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  9. I love Asano works. And this one is really good. For Umibe no Onnanoko. From OniBarubary. (rev)
  10. Art was pretty nice. Not often you see age gap in yuri actually. Gonna check out other things by the author later For Chiyo-chan no Yomeiri. From upandaway.
  11. One of the main things I appreciated most was the lack of judgment from the story to the characters. For Pumpkin and Mayonnaise. From Droplet.
  12. It's very effective with its story and actually quite evocative. For blue. From Droplet. (rev)
  13. I can't even think right now. Seriously. What. For Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  14. Cute one shot. Wishes the jerky guy got more of what he deserves but good enough. For Banken Hero (one shot). From dakkumauji. (imp)
  15. Besides learning a whole bunch about sewing and tailoring, this was an enjoyable series. For Itohen. From dakkumauji. (rev)
  16. so doki doki and dorkyness For Boku to Kimi no Taisetsu na Hanashi 01. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  17. A4-koma manga for those that like seeing adult woman getting drunk with her friend while talking about the bitterness of life. Also include miscellaneous recipe. For Nomi Joshi 01. From striferser.
  18. Now for lots of doki doki For Kanna to Decchi. From dakkumauji. (shoujo)
  19. This is just so goddam interesting. For Spirit Circle. From OniBarubary. (imp)
  20. Holy Grail War decided by Mahjong - will probably be more interesting than the real series For Fate/mahjong night - Seihai Sensou 01. From dakkumauji.
  21. As always, Usamaru Furuya's art shines through it, creating a wonderfully grim, gritty atmosphere that suits its horror nature perfectly. For Lychee Light Club. From Zweizer. (imp)
  22. Aahhhh man, that was good. I'm still sorta recovering from all the reading but it was great. For Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer. From upandaway. (rev)
  23. A somewhat nihilistic short story about two friends graduating high school and the worries that come with it. The art works pretty well with its mood. For Haru Ni (one shot). From Zweizer.
  24. A rather grim story masked with fluffy aesthetics, for good reasons too. For Neko to Ookami (one shot). From Usobuko.
  25. Transfer student signs herself up for the survivor games club and so starts this crazy ride For Sabagebu! 01. From dakkumauji.
  26. Lain reads some non-mainstream stuff.
  27. Apart of course, that after 190 chapters I suppose we have taken a liking to the crazy ensemble of protagonists. For Prison School. From Turin Turambar. (rev)
  28. What a fun little read. Voynich Hotel is an oddball mix of romance, cartoon humor, dark comedy, and supernatural horror. For The Voynich Hotel. From Semblance. (rev)
  29. On the other though, I'm already loving Ako and her so far infrequent snaps into Yandere mode. For Netgame no Yome wa Onna no Ko ja nai to Omotta?. From ArclightBorealis. (imp)
  30. It's so cute because of the earnestness and personalities of the main guy and girl. For Sesuji wo Pin! to ~Shikakou Kyougi Dance-bu e Youkoso~. From OniBarubary. (rev)
  31. But, I'm enjoying this, it's pretty fun, the main character isn't op, the world seems interesting and he has a man crush on tsukiyomi lol For Moon-led Journey Across Another World. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  32. A spinoff of Gangsta about the the dark horse of popularity, Marco and his surprisingly dark past. For Gangsta: Cursed. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  33. Cute monster girls doing cute things For Slime-san nto Yuusha Kenkyuubu 01. From dakkumauji.
  34. Comedy superhero saves the world from the bad dude but can't transform back into his human form while his crew does. For Koutetsu Kishi Chevalio. From Numb. (imp)
  35. a collection of different short stories I want an elephant now For The Strenuous Life. From dakkumauji.
  36. I really feel like world trigger gets a bad rap due to it's slow start, it's actually pretty good once it gets going with a lot of fun and unique ideas to help it stand out from the crowd. For World Trigger. From BassForever. (imp)
  37. The more interesting character to follow is the other person who was victim to the bright light incineration event. For Inuyashiki Vol 1. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  38. Hey this is pretty good! Pity the translation isn't finished and it's going super slow. But I'm thinking in reading the original novels, even. For Aventurier - Shinyaku Arsene Lupin. From Turin Turambar.
  39. I'll keep giving it a read. It's pretty good now. For Hinamatsuri. From OniBarubary. (imp)
  40. I am in love with this. Love all the magical creatures are portrayed and how magic works. The characters all very interesting with their backstories. Art is ace. One of the best fantasy manga around. For The Ancient Magus Bride Vol 1. From ColossalLazy. (imp)
  41. Seraph of the End is still dumb shonen shlock, but its entertaining enough to keep me reading. For Seraph of the End. From BassForever. (imp)
  42. Really cute father and daughter cooking manga, there are some possible romance elements (no, not between the father and daughter) in the manga as well. Also after each chapter there is a recipe of the meal they cooked (Not Soma level but still good looking food). For Sweetness and Lightning. From 8 x 11 Printer Paper.
  43. 100 years ago the Earth was invaded and taken over by an alien empire and solve all of Earth's problems, so there's no more war, famine, poverty, global warming, whale hunting etc. For Ad Astra Per Aspera 01. From Stulaw. (imp)
  44. Yotsuba + supernatural + curry = greatness. For Kyou, Curry!. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  45. Haruhara Robinson's series are always the best at comedy. For Gakumon! School of Monsters. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  46. Shit really hits the fan quick. For Dolly Kill Kill. From Numb. (imp)
  47. A twist so shocking I couldn't possibly see it coming. That was truly the Neon Genesis of yuri manga. For My Little Red Riding Hood (one shot). From PK Gaming.
  48. I really like the scifi idea used. The concept of a pair of guys having the same dream, but from different perspectives is intriguing. For Please Save My Earth Vol 1. From Turin Turambar. (imp)
  49. It does a really excellent job at capturing the feelings and general mood of adolescence. For Goodnight Punpun. From Tyrant Rave. (imp)
  50. The premise is about 30+ years old women trying to get hitch and settle down before Tokyo Olympics 2020 began. As usual, Akiko Higashimura is brilliant. For Tokyo Tarareba-Jou. From Usobuko.
  51. A detective agency becomes embroiled in a web of urban legends and gratuitous killings, with predictably messy consequences. For Hanako to Guuwa no Tera. From A Huge Battleship. (imp)
  52. A manga by Takako Shimura about a highschool girl who run away from home after her mother remarried. For Musume no Iede. From striferser. (imp)
  53. I'm honestly interested to see where the next five volumes go... For Amon Vol 1. From ArclightBorealis. (imp)
  54. Very enjoyable. Art's shaky but I like the setting. For Ichiba Kurogane wa Kasegitai. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  55. Pretty nice read with touching moments. The story deals with death and life or, more in general, with the fragility of life. For Les cerisiers fleurissent malgre tout. From Lain. (rec)
  56. It's like reading three different stories. For Stravaganza Isai no Hime. From Turin Turambar. (imp)
  57. MC is a hired killer but what is more interesting are his employers who are your typical day-to-day people. For Funouhan. From Usobuko. (imp)
  58. It just gets funnier from there. Holy shit. For Kyoaku Gakuen. From OniBarubary. (imp)
  59. This is fluffy, and funny, and dreamy, and magical... For Ran and the Gray World Vol 1. From Turin Turambar. (imp)
  60. A 8 chapters short story about a single parent family who aren't very well-off. For Tenohira Size 01. From Usobuko.
  61. Ten years ago, an accident happened and one member of a group of friends dies falls in a coma in an accident. Now years later as the group of friends are drifting apart, she reappears again. For Nagareboshi ni Negau Hodo Bokura wa Sunao ja Nai 01. From dakkumauji.
  62. The contrast between the absurd crude, yet emotionally dramatic situations and the amazingly detailed art, create for a fantastic unique series. For Prison School. From dani_dc. (rev)
  63. A world thrown into chaos, yet one can only see the same old order. A must-read. For Dead Dead Demon's Dededededestruction. From Zweizer. (rec)
  64. Besides sounding super shoujo in the first chapter, I find this hilarious. For Kaichou-kun no Shimobe. From dakkumauji. (imp)
  65. Yuri and flowers. I think that about sums it up. For White Lily and Spring Aster (one-shot). From Zweizer.
  66. Also now I'm more knowledgeable about tailoring than I ever wanted to be, thanks manga. For Itohen Vol 1. From Akito. (rev)
  67. The official sequel to Those Who Hunt Elves. Yu Yagami is back at his ol' shenanigans again, lol. It's amazing that he never makes this concept feel tired at all. For Those Who Hunt Elves 2 Vol 1. From Shouta. (mod)
  68. The curse of Aki Eda has been broken. I'm amazed that I actually enjoyed something of hers from start to finish. For Bonnouji. From A Huge Battleship. (rev)
  69. I'm hyped for more of this series just to see where it goes... For Ninja Slayer Kills Vol 1. From Dedication Through Light. (imp)
  70. This is fun. For Amanchu!. From upandaway. (imp)
  71. I really enjoyed the art, and overall the manga was incredibly good at creating a sense of unease. For Gogo Monster. From Mandelbro. (imp)
  72. Great and fun one-shot, with good mix of humor and violence. For Shizuru's Notebook (one-shot). From Zweizer. (rev)
  73. Tyrant Rave and an Inio Asano reading run.
  74. It's a plotless slice of life which might not be for everyone but I've enjoyed reading this just about as much as I'll enjoy reading anything. For Komorebi no Kuni. From upandaway. (rev)
  75. The first two chapters were good, the demon girl is a clutz and I found her endearing. The manga seems like it could be good if it doesn't focus too much on the good/evil dynamic that many other series find themselves in. Hope to read more soon. For Tenraku Akuma! Demon's Core. From Umibozu.
  76. That was really great. Matsumoto's panel work and art are all very engaging and unconventional, as is the way the story is told. The final fight can sit alongside Sword of the Stranger's final fight as one of the best sword fights ever. It's not much more then a simple samurai with a dark past tale but the execution is masterful. For Takemitsu Zamurai. From MetroidPrimeRib.
  77. short and (bitter)sweet. For Haru no Ko (one-shot). From Usobuko.
  78. cute oneshot, nothing haven't seen before in the characters but it was nice For Tama-chan!!. From dakkumauji.
  79. It's a fairly standard story about Japanese festival folklore in a rural village and the art is pretty good. Her new series, Houjou no Hidarugami, retains the flavours of traditional Japanese tales. For Oni ga Warau (one-shot). From Usobuko.
  80. Speaking of theme, the writer handled it really well. Many much of the student or the teacher monster feature utilized to get the message across in creatively unique way. For Dr. Hitomi's Infirmary. From Shengar. (imp)

dramatis

Recent and Popular Reads (September 2015)
jt5b.png

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Negima ~295

This truly feels like a case of "did I forget anything as I head into the final battle? Oh shit that Zazie girl I better make her show up to make sure that isn't a lose end". I get the impression the author did not originally plan this to be the "final battle" but he ratcheted up the stakes too high where it had to be the final battle. Explains the rapid pactio kissing chapter and the random "oh all of you come back to mahora" for the girls left behind in England. This ending is still really exciting and enjoyable where instead of a rushed "oh I'm getting canceled" like Toriko it feels somewhat like the author is in control of how he wants things to play out. I guess this is why some people call him a hack for not better planning these things out.

He did in fact intend to make Negima have an actual ending, it just didn't happen because he got in a copyright dispute with his publisher.

dramatis

hey I made it in the first post

and for an amazing series <3
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in all of my scribble notes I had to go digging for something of yours that wasn't actually 1 chapter impressions

Because I remembered you were like, "oh man I need to read something wholesome and write about it" the last time I posted a banner

Not that you read anything wholesome since then

Zweizer

Banned
Hopefully I'm not the only one participating in the October horror month.

I gotta say, Paranoma of Hell is outstanding. Gonna do a writeup of it later, but read this one at least.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention in all of my scribble notes I had to go digging for something of yours that wasn't actually 1 chapter impressions

Because I remembered you were like, "oh man I need to read something wholesome and write about it" the last time I posted a banner

Not that you read anything wholesome since then

I'm pretty sure I read wholesome things!

maybe, probably, define wholesome

Kyuur

Caught up on DDDD and read chapter 17, amazing stuff as usual. I hope they bring volumes over soon. I'm also kind of sad, because if previous works' length are any indication, the manga is almost over. If not, I think it will be Asano's longest work?

Arabesque

Negima ~295

This truly feels like a case of "did I forget anything as I head into the final battle? Oh shit that Zazie girl I better make her show up to make sure that isn't a lose end". I get the impression the author did not originally plan this to be the "final battle" but he ratcheted up the stakes too high where it had to be the final battle. Explains the rapid pactio kissing chapter and the random "oh all of you come back to mahora" for the girls left behind in England. This ending is still really exciting and enjoyable where instead of a rushed "oh I'm getting canceled" like Toriko it feels somewhat like the author is in control of how he wants things to play out. I guess this is why some people call him a hack for not better planning these things out.

There's a lot of details for the reason why Akamatsu ended Negima where it did, but it comes down to him wanting to wrap up the story and negotiate again with the publisher to let him do the story he wanted (i.e. the action Shonen manga he's doing now) while retaining more rights to the stuff he made.

It definitely wasn't cancelled, since Akamatsu answered that question by saying something to the effect of "there isn't an editor in WSM that has the guts to cancel a series that sells 500k+/volume".

I do think Akamatsu dropped the ball by not realising that the way the story went he couldn't possibly wrap everything up in a satisfactory manner in the time span he gave himself, since things just spiralled out of control and the manga went into being a full blown saga spanning 2 worlds, but he wanted things to end and for him to start on doing what he wanted so eh.

At least the current arc ends up in a satisfactory manner. Unlike how he originally wanted it to end *looks at the movie*

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Dramatis, how long do you spend digging up older reviews / impressions? Some of those aren't recent at all. It's a pretty good mix of things added to the banner though, will have to add a few to my ever growing plan to read list. Haven't even heard of most of those.

Hopefully I'm not the only one participating in the October horror month.

I gotta say, Paranoma of Hell is outstanding. Gonna do a writeup of it later, but read this one at least.

I had read Left Hand of God, Right Hand of the Devil, but I honestly didn't know how I felt about it outside of the fourth story (which was pretty good / creepy).

I'll check out the others before the month ends though.

Tomo-chan wa Onna no Ko!
The date's over, Jun's still a dumbass, new characters getting the spotlight, and Misuzu does indeed smile all the time.

Still pretty good.

Prison School ch. 191-193
I continue to be anxious for each subsequent part of the Chairman's misadventures.

-

Oh cool, my Amon impressions got included in the recommendations list. Feel so proud.

dramatis

Dramatis, how long do you spend digging up older reviews / impressions? Some of those aren't recent at all. It's a pretty good mix of things added to the banner though, will have to add a few to my ever growing plan to read list. Haven't even heard of most of those.
It's labeled "Recent and Not So Recent Reads of Manga OT" for a reason lol

For reviews/recs from this thread, I'm copying the link to a separate section as I log them (usually I pick something that has more meat to the description and review). When one month or so rolls around, I look around the section to see what to go with, and then if there's more than one from a particular poster (Zweizer and Turin Turambar scribbling all the time), then I pick only one. If there's leftover space out of 10, I go dumpster diving in the old lists, and use roughly the same rules: generally detailed impressions/review, and not the same posters.

There's also things to keep in mind like the current atmosphere (hence The Laughing Vampire (a semi-stealth "Hey guys, horror October manga month") and Hideout) and also genre (hence Ace of Diamond). And not to put in a manga that's already been in. Sometimes if I feel like I see a lot of people posting recently about a manga I plop one or two in for a space.

(Still haven't answered the question) How long? Not that long, maybe like a half hour to an hour? Everyone else already did the hard work of reading and enjoying manga and having enough energy to write about it. I logged a lot of stuff, so the lists are already there, I just need to shop around. Although with the mysterious disappearance of OT6 I might have to take all of the links and back them up somewhere.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fuuka 80

So now we're at the point where Fuuka2 wants the D, Yuu wants to give Fuuka2 the D, but he's still upset that her first name is the same as his dead highschool girlfriend. This is Seo, alright.

He did in fact intend to make Negima have an actual ending, it just didn't happen because he got in a copyright dispute with his publisher.

There's a lot of details for the reason why Akamatsu ended Negima where it did, but it comes down to him wanting to wrap up the story and negotiate again with the publisher to let him do the story he wanted (i.e. the action Shonen manga he's doing now) while retaining more rights to the stuff he made.

It definitely wasn't cancelled, since Akamatsu answered that question by saying something to the effect of "there isn't an editor in WSM that has the guts to cancel a series that sells 500k+/volume".

I do think Akamatsu dropped the ball by not realising that the way the story went he couldn't possibly wrap everything up in a satisfactory manner in the time span he gave himself, since things just spiralled out of control and the manga went into being a full blown saga spanning 2 worlds, but he wanted things to end and for him to start on doing what he wanted so eh.

At least the current arc ends up in a satisfactory manner. Unlike how he originally wanted it to end *looks at the movie*

I guess I'll have to do some required reading when I finish Negima and before I re pick up UQ Holder

Angry Grimace

I guess I'll have to do some required reading when I finish Negima and before I re pick up UQ Holder

The original rumor at the time was that he was mad about the underage-porno law somehow affecting what he could do in the manga and anime, but it turned out it was actually a dispute over a law which would give companies that had some kind of hand in creating something (e.g. publishers) an IP right to go after infringement or use the IP to keep making money when the author stopped. This apparently both meant that Kodansha could theoretically go after anyone who made a doujin without the author's permission (he's a big doujin guy from what I gather) and that they would be able to retain the IP to do other things with it later without his consent. Good on him for taking a stand for shit he cared about but it sucked that Negima has no ending. I'm like 99% sure that UQ Holder is somehow explain what actually happened in the "missing arc."

Arabesque

The thing about Akamatsu is that he is that he's gotten a lot more vocal about his views and political stance than many other mangaka, so it's not that strange to see him take that stand and attempt to negotiate a better contract for his new manga. I mean he's a lot more wiser after Negima concluded than when he was after Love Hina ended.

It's not really required reading, just stuff that went down that lead to Negima ending the way it did. You can look it up if your interested, but it isn't necessary to the story.

. I'm like 99% sure that UQ Holder is somehow explain what actually happened in the "missing arc."

One of them at least.

Angry Grimace

That sounds like the most Seo thing Seo has ever written.

Remember when Suzuka rejected Yamato because he reminded her of her boyfriend who got hit by a truck and died? This is the same plot down to the truck.

The only thing I'll give you is that there's a least a good reason why the main character is a chick magnet: because he's the lead singer in a rock band. I don't know that I would say anything as eye-rolling as "gum disease" or "Eba dumps Haruto to pretend to be some dying guy's girlfriend" has occurred yet.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Remember when Suzuka rejected Yamato because he reminded her of her boyfriend who got hit by a truck and died? This is the same plot down to the truck.

The only thing I'll give you is that there's a least a good reason why the main character is a chick magnet: because he's the lead singer in a rock band. I don't know that I would say anything as eye-rolling as "gum disease" or "Eba dumps Haruto to pretend to be some dying guy's girlfriend" has occurred yet.

I actually dropped it for a bit after the second Fuuka showed up. The fucking truck was goddamn hilarious and I almost died laughing that day. I know the basic outline at this point, is the fuckery interesting enough for me to get back in?

Revo

Noblesse 375

guess we have to go through the not looking good for the nobles phase before we can start seeing what they can do

Angry Grimace

I actually dropped it for a bit after the second Fuuka showed up. The fucking truck was goddamn hilarious and I almost died laughing that day. I know the basic outline at this point, is the fuckery interesting enough for me to get back in?

No, wait a while longer.

It makes me sick to my stomach that trash like Fuuka thrives in WSM and Battlefield No. 5 was cancelled with fourteen chapters before its first volume release.

Angry Grimace

Really? It sounds like some impressive fuckery so far, you're saying it can get better/worse?

There aren't that many things that are all that crazy so far. I mean, Suzuka showed up but it basically resulted in no real fuckery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom