• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT~| How can I Ignore Such a Magnificent...THREAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assassination Classroom 163

Going all out with that Satellite Laser Canon?! I hope the photos werent incinerated!!!

Also Nagisa nice.
CTVMLLZWsAAdJA6.png

Umibozu

Koi ha Hikari 1-2
Guy has ability to see sparkles off girls who have crushes, yet no girl has sparkled for him. In one of his college classes he runs into a ''different'' girl who he might like. He wants to exchange phone numbers but she doesn't have a cell phone, so he decides to start trading diaries.

I had trouble reading through these and probably won't continue if things don't improve.

Usobuko

Banned
Koi ha Hikari 1-2
Guy has ability to see sparkles off girls who have crushes, yet no girl has sparkled for him. In one of his college classes he runs into a ''different'' girl who he might like. He wants to exchange phone numbers but she doesn't have a cell phone, so he decides to start trading diaries.

I had trouble reading through these and probably won't continue if things don't improve.

By the mangaka of Bonnouji, I expect mangagaf to pick this up too.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Hitomi isn't in her High School anymore. I suppose she is in a high school for the ELITE.

She's probably already the CEO of a Furtune 500 company. That or she was elected Prime Minister.

whynotboth.gif

Koi ha Hikari 1-2

Oh hey, new manga by Bonnouji guy. It's cute. Well, protagonist can see sparkle from girl who fall in love, but i wonder if he can see sparkle coming from girl who love him?

Assassination Classroom 163

Well, that escalate quickly. Suddenly, laser beam.

random25

Tomo-chan 201

Tomom (I'm so gonna borrow that term) is awesome.

And I bet Tomo's cooking would be some black matter levels of shit.

aw350

Banned
I apologize if this is off-the-format of the thread, a simple question:

I am very new to manga / anime, I am half-way through Death Note and I like it - good ideas / writing, interesting images. In your opinion, where does this manga stand in terms of quality relative to others - is it one of the few masterpieces and most others are not so good (that's the skeptic in me) or is it really par for the course and there are many other mangas just like it or better (that's the dreamer)?

(You don't have to name any names, I see the lists, I was just wondering about the quality - tried one, liked it, asking how it compares to others in general. Thanks a lot in advance, and, again, sorry if this is off-the-format.)

I am very new to manga / anime, I am half-way through Death Note and I like it - good ideas / writing, interesting images. In your opinion, where does this manga stand in terms of quality relative to others - is it one of the few masterpieces and most others are not so good (that's the skeptic in me) or is it really par for the course and there are many other mangas just like it or better (that's the dreamer)?

(You don't have to name any names, I see the lists, I was just wondering about the quality - tried one, liked it, asking how it compares to others in general. Thanks a lot in advance, and, again, sorry if this is off-the-format.)

You are fine, any manga related questions are welcome.

Personally, I like Death Note quite a lot. It dips in quality, but the overall narrative and themes are iconic and mostly good. Death Note is extremely popular, meaning many people have read/watched it and thus there are a lot of opinions out there.

Is it masterpiece tier? No. Is it a good read? Yeah. One thing I can say is that it is a good jumping in point. You might want to check out the new manga by the duo, Platinum End. Right now it feels really similar to DN but it's only 1 chapter in.

Usobuko

Banned

First half - 9/10
Second half - 6/10

random25

Death Note is a really fine quality manga art-wise. One of the bests I've seen in mainstream manga.

As for the story, the first half is extremely good. The cat and mouse chase between Kira and L is very well done. The second half though is where it kinda drops . But still good overall.

aw350

Banned
Is it masterpiece tier? No. Is it a good read? Yeah. One thing I can say is that it is a good jumping in point. You might want to check out the new manga by the duo, Platinum End. Right now it feels really similar to DN but it's only 1 chapter in.

First half - 9/10
Second half - 6/10

As for the story, the first half is extremely good. The cat and mouse chase between Kira and L is very well done. The second half though is where it kinda drops . But still good overall.

Thanks a lot, that helps.

I'll be sure to try Platinum End, too. Only 1 chapter in means I can actually follow it as it develops - never done this before, sounds intriguing.

Shouta

Could you elaborate? I'm really not seeing it.

I mean, a lot of the elements are there and the focus is pretty similar in many respects. You have two main hero characters who join an Association of super powered individuals and get into adventures as a result. The focus isn't always on those two but also on the characters around them and they sort of get some spot light in there as a result. They also fight villains with crazy powers as well.

Look at how Saitama and Genos are often just observers in the conflict like Killua and Gon were for some major parts of the series. There's a mix of storyline types in both series as well. I could probably lay it out a bit but basically, ONE is doing a lot of things that Togashi does with HxH and even has similar structures and storytelling ideas though it's mostly broad strokes.

I Want to Say to my Older Brother That I'm His Younger Sister Now! 1-16.5 (END)

bgBUOOJ.jpg

In my defence (because a defence is needed), I just watched the Koi to Senkyo to Chocolate anime and this is related to it, so yeah.

I think this is one of the better examples of a manga imploding because it didn't have sufficient space to deal with the source material. The terrible premise aside (MC's father is going to remarry, and his new partner's daughter is pretending to be a boy for [reasons]), it actually started semi-coherently, but somewhere past the halfway mark the story and pacing became completely fragmented, with developments that felt like they came from nowhere and substantial events seemingly happening off-camera. It was essentially like reading a poorly constructed highlights reel of a VN route. Also I'm utterly unsurprised that the MCs of both series managed to pick the worst girls, though SNQ (god rest his soul) has at least made me feel better about one outcome.

Kurita

Is My Hero Academia's anime announcement one the earliest ever? Like, the manga only has 30 something chapters...
They reaaaaally want a new Naruto.

Busaiku

I mean, a lot of the elements are there and the focus is pretty similar in many respects. You have two main hero characters who join an Association of super powered individuals and get into adventures as a result. The focus isn't always on those two but also on the characters around them and they sort of get some spot light in there as a result. They also fight villains with crazy powers as well.

Look at how Saitama and Genos are often just observers in the conflict like Killua and Gon were for some major parts of the series. There's a mix of storyline types in both series as well. I could probably lay it out a bit but basically, ONE is doing a lot of things that Togashi does with HxH and even has similar structures and storytelling ideas though it's mostly broad strokes.
Killua and Gon are rarely directly involved with the main conflict.
Saitama always saves the day.

I don't understand these similarities really.
There are other series with super powered associations and such.

Both series develop their side characters, but even then, it's very different in approach.

dramatis

Death Note is strange in that a lot of people like the first half a lot and dislike the second half a lot, yet the narrative has to be completed with the second half if you want a 'positive' story ending.

When it was serialized (2003), the One Piece/Naruto/Bleach types of manga dominated the space, and it was all about good-hearted main characters. Maybe I haven't consumed nearly enough works or know enough about works around that time, but I think Death Note kind of marked a point in popular media where you could have an anti-hero protagonist with such popularity. So after its creation, you could have your Code Geasses and Liar Games and smarts-oriented, low morality protagonists everywhere.

I don't think it's a masterpiece, but I think it definitely changed something in popular culture in Japan.

By the way, for something as 'old' as Death Note, you're more than welcome to discuss it thoroughly here. Especially since its age and popularity means spoiler tags are fairly unnecessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom