• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shitsurakuen ch20-End

The theme of challenging the classic perception of the "knight saves princess" trope isn't bad per se but the incredibly clumsy execution of both the introduction to such a one-sidedly disgusting system and the awfully unsatisfactory way things ended makes accepting the ideas shoved onto you by this manga near-impossible and I am left to question the author's sanity for believing such a flimsily presented concept would be appreciated by the readers.

The last few pages were pretty sweet at least, but most of the ending definitely left me a sour taste in the mouth.

Seems like it was stockholm syndrome everywhere as it reached the end tbh, but that might just be my memory being faulty.

Lain

Kase-san 1-9

So sweet. It's nice that the chapters work by themselves and any misunderstanding gets resolved by the end of a chapter. Also I have a soft spot for characters called Yamada after Needless, and this Yamada is too sweet and dumb to not like her.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Dragonball Z Vol 12-19 (Android Arc)

This was an interesting arc to revisit, as I've revisited it less than others and my memories of this arc is primarily in how fucking long the battles with the Androids took with all the charging-ki filler in the episodes. It was pretty shit.

First off, the very first part of the arc was very good I felt. Even though Toriyama outright retconned Trunks' knowledge of 19 and 20 which I thought was dumb, and the timeline stuff wasn't very clear, I thought it had something the previous arcs didn't have: Total, utter despair. There wasn't a clear endgoal by any means, as we already know that Goku and crew WILL get defeated by these things. And unlike the Freeza arc, there's multiple villains here that are ungodly powerful rather than just one big bad and a bunch of chumps. This gave the mood a much more interesting aspect for the series.

The long drawn out battle between Vegeta and Cell was full of dumb shit that felt completely pointless. Vegeta is a complete idiot in this arc, which I'm not a fan of. Especially since how calculating he was in both the Saiyan and Freeza arc. Vegeta is supposed to be a lot more intelligent but in this arc he's a stupid brute, which I felt was a bad thing. He does, however, get a spurt of development at the end when Cell kills Trunks.

I also thought bringing the dragonballs back was BS. So unnecessary.

Cell Games is a stupid concept as well. All of a sudden, Cell decides instead of destroying Goku and crew he's going to throw a tournament...just why? What is Cell's motives even? To get stronger and be bad?

Cell sucks. The Androids are cool however since they have more layered goals. Gero wants revenge for the destruction of the Red Ribbon Army, 16 is an android with a heart of gold, and 17 and 18 are young punk kids who just want to amuse themselves. I do however, Cell makes sense as someone who's more powerful than anyone else, so I'm no too offended by him by any means.

I thought the setup for Gohan's ascension to taking Goku's place was some of the best stuff in the entire series. There are subtle hints here and there that Goku knows very well that his time is up, and then there's parallels to the King Piccolo arc which was the last time the world was in danger on a "mainstream televised" level and the king pondering if another kid like Goku could arise to defeat Cell. And low-and-behold, Gohan appears. It's awesome. Gohan develops into a pretty awesome hero in the end and becomes even stronger than his father.

I think if the series ended with this arc, Dragonball would probably be better received than it is today. This arc really brings closure to EVERYTHING. Not only that but it spreads the series into a full 6 arcs, that being... Search for Dragonballs arc, Red Ribbon Army arc, Piccolo arc, Saiyan arc, Freeza arc, and Android arc. If the series ended there it would not only be an even number but it has parallels to the final arc in the pre-timeskip series the Piccolo arc.

But then Boo arc happened and ruined this. And I'm reading it next. Anyway, Android arc gets a...

B

Wait, I thought Trunks didn't exist in his timeline? I don't actually remember, that's just the way I remember it.

wonzo

Banned
Prison School 121-136
prisonschool126.jpg

couldn't stand it any more so i ended up caving in on reading the speed scans and…

ROCKETTTTTTTASSSSSSSS

oh my god it's gonna be fucking amazing when andre saves the day at just the right moment

789shadow

Banned
Akame ga Kill! 10-19

This is like having Revy from Black Lagoon fall in love with you. It's only a matter of time before your dick is removed.

Big One

Banned
Wait, I thought Trunks didn't exist in his timeline? I don't actually remember, that's just the way I remember it.
I'm not sure 100% how it works, but it's something like this...
Timeline 1: Original timeline, that leads to Goku dying of heart disease and characters getting killed by Androids aka Trunks' future. After travelling to Timeline 2, Trunks comes back to kill the Androids with his newly obtained power. Three years later, he kills Cell.
Timeline 2: Trunks goes back in time and alters the course of history, as does Cell. This is the timeline you see in the manga basically. When Trunks trains, he goes back to Timeline 1 with his newly obtained power.
Timeline 3: Basically "Timeline 1" but instead of defeating Cell three years later, Cell defeats him instead, and travels to Timeline 2 in Trunks time machine around the same time he does.

kasane

uwakoi 15-19
He needs to cheat on his gf with her sister to complete the circle

New sex friends from the science fiction ( sex friend ) club

Sex at your mistress's then you open the door?srsly.

Yandere gonna kill you

Rip brotha

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I'm not sure 100% how it works, but it's something like this...
Timeline 1: Original timeline, that leads to Goku dying of heart disease and characters getting killed by Androids aka Trunks' future. After travelling to Timeline 2, Trunks comes back to kill the Androids with his newly obtained power. Three years later, he kills Cell.
Timeline 2: Trunks goes back in time and alters the course of history, as does Cell. This is the timeline you see in the manga basically. When Trunks trains, he goes back to Timeline 1 with his newly obtained power.
Timeline 3: Basically "Timeline 1" but instead of defeating Cell three years later, Cell defeats him instead, and travels to Timeline 2 in Trunks time machine around the same time he does.

That was a typo btw. I meant 19 and 20.

Busaiku

So I got Children of the Sea, Solanin, What a Wonderful World.
Never read any of these before, but I heard the names thrown around before.
Besides Solanin, which I've heard lots of praise for, I didn't really look into them.

Hope they're good.
Just disappointed that Solanin's an omnibus.

Quasar

The only way you can salvage how dumb Tama-chan is by doing that is if she did it to give his band publicity.

Well the only dumb bit for me is that surely she would have realised the hate that would be thrown at him. She's an idol. That aside I kind of praise Tama for the courage of a public confession as I would a public wedding proposal.

survivor

Banned
Besides Solanin, which I've heard lots of praise for, I didn't really look into them.

Hope they're good.
All great manga. Solanin's omnibus format isn't that bad since it isn't that large and manageable to hold in your hands. Children of the Sea art is amazing, one of the best.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
I've lost count but another manga that scy is reading has put him above costi in terms of recommendation. Scy didn't even recommend it! I was just reading his post. You disappoint me costi.

Ore ga Doutei o Sutetara Shinu Ken ni Tsuite 1-9

Pretty interessting. Pretty dark.

scy

hahahahaha

For something too fluffy, Hitorimi Haduki-san to works. It'll remove some of the darkmurder from Smutterfly Effect.

kasane

Now were talking about public proposals i saw one recently at marineland.

Host was looking for volunteers to feed and pat the orca, the a girl was called so she can get proposed to.

Fuck em ruined my chances to feed a fucking ORCA

Lain

Hope they're good.

Children of the Sea is as deep as the ocean, ohohohoh.
It's pretty good, and good picks all around.

Mortemis

Banned
Magi 234

Like I said, told y'all Arba was Gyokuen. Sheba proved innocent.

So now that all of this played out, I'm hoping there's no more than one chapter at most left in this flashback. Go back to characters people care about in present time pls.

_hekk05

Banned
Now were talking about public proposals i saw one recently at marineland.

Host was looking for volunteers to feed and pat the orca, the a girl was called so she can get proposed to.

Fuck em ruined my chances to feed a fucking ORCA

That's ok kasane

You'll get proposed to some day too

Now go read Tenohira no Umi. I seem to remember it having mild nudity (mermaids) so don't do it at work

Rhapsody

Banned
Fuuka 25.1

I like these specials. I'd like to see more of those since it's fun seeing the old cast getting their own chapters without interfering with the current cast. And looks like we got a KNIM cameo with that one girl.

Otogi Taisen Fantasma 09

And suddenly out of nowhere, a girl with a sword appears to protect the main character. Completely unoriginal but hey she ate some soldiers beforehand so that's cool.

Angry Grimace

Well the only dumb bit for me is that surely she would have realised the hate that would be thrown at him. She's an idol. That aside I kind of praise Tama for the courage of a public confession as I would a public wedding proposal.

She's a hot girl; there's no courage involved. She can fuck anyone she wants.

Superior Day 1-end

Manwha webcomic about a serial killer and an asshole assassin that gets an innocent third party involved to carry out the murder of the former.

Actually pretty damn good. Maybe not the most original story out there, but pretty tense nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom