• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zweizer

Banned
I have no idea why you'd indulge into NTR (I have yet to read a work that portrays it in a logical and satisfactory way) considering all it does is portraying hilariously archetyped relationship dynamics for the sake of inducing rage and drama. Same crop of people who voluntarily expose themselves to KNIM I guess.

New series: Monster's Kindergarten (ultra jump), by Shinkaida Tetsuyarou (新貝田鉄也郎) (H-manga artist)

Youkai youjou Hnnnnnnggggggg

Apparently the author used to only do loli-H mangas. This is a trend I'd like to get behind.

What's the synopsis? Monster Musume with little girls?

Charade

Y'all are weird.

Keep your fancy explanations in your pocket!

But in the end, I wouldn't really call the manga that sparked this whole discussion (Mama Mama) "NTR" to begin with. It'd be like labeling a seinen that has a sex scene a hentai or something. I'dunno.

Zweizer

Banned
But in the end, I wouldn't really call the manga that sparked this whole discussion (Mama Mama) "NTR" to begin with. It'd be like labeling a seinen that has a sex scene a hentai or something. I'dunno.

Fair point, considering it came more as a surprise and was less heavy-handed about it than what you usually see it portrayed.

It still felt like a downer though.

Usobuko

Banned
I have no idea why you'd indulge into NTR (I have yet to read a work that portrays it in a logical and satisfactory way) considering all it does is portraying hilariously archetyped relationship dynamics for the sake of inducing rage and drama. Same crop of people who voluntarily expose themselves to KNIM I guess.

Isn't this the same for other works? The author has a purpose in mind and gradually weaves his story into that direction. I don't think works with NTR element should be dismiss because of the author's intention. Yes, I agree with you that majority of these manga has outlandish scenarios, unbelievable reactions which are all hard to relate for the readers. These are the ones that should be ignored and stays firmly in the realm of frictional. It's no different from other genre. A good story humanizes the situation and have the characters at least try and reflect like actual humans.

I don't find KNIM isn't rage worthy because of its plot, I don't think I ever feel anything for KNIM characters either. Instead, I remember thinking Seo is a troll, on a bender and dragging the story unnecessarily for his own pockets. I dislike it because as a completionist, I try to finish what I started and it's way too long. It's still a poorly written one though.

Give Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu a chance. There are 6 stories in it and they are all pretty good, only platform has an NTR element in it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What does that stand for?

I gather its got something to do with relationship melodrama.

140769635937.gif

Quasar

It was one I could link.

j5sHp0mnz4Omb.png

Its interesting how people are fine if its a guy playing around (having mistresses), yet this causes all kinds of upset.

And the whole design to cause distress...it kinda makes me think about all those people who emotional invest in harem stories and in particular ships that obviously wont happen, but instead sit through couplings they are opposed to.

Jintor

It's just down to the way the relationship is treated and framed by the writer. Certainly it's more common for a guy playing around to be a harem rather than an NTR, but don't mistake the genders involved as the cause as opposed to the treatment given by authorial intent.

Chariot

Harem is one thing, usually the different members of the harem know or are postum ok with the x-timing (which is debatable itself, but just leave that aside a bit), but NTR is actively stealing someone from someone. It's forced cheating.

Zweizer

Banned
Isn't this the same for other works? The author has a purpose in mind and gradually weaves his story into that direction. I don't think works with NTR element should be dismiss because of the author's intention. Yes, I agree with you that majority of these manga has outlandish scenarios, unbelievable reactions which are all hard to relate for the readers. These are the ones that should be ignored and stays firmly in the realm of frictional. It's no different from other genre. A good story humanizes the situation and have the characters at least try and reflect like actual humans.

Give Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu a chance. There are 6 stories in it and they are all pretty good, only platform has an NTR element in it.

That's the problem, as most of the works of this genre are inevitably awful at storytelling and presenting the cheating aspect as a relatable or understandable way, instead focusing on "shock value" for the sole purpose of upsetting the readers and nothing more, as if screaming at your face "Ha ha your significant one got stolen! Serves you right!" was its only purpose, and when 99% of them are that shallow, it really doesn't make you want to go check the few relatable ones.

Endo Hiroki Tanpenshuu is in my backlog. When I read this, I'll make sure to share my thoughts about whether it portrays relationships in a satisactory way or not.

Its interesting how people are fine if its a guy playing around (having mistresses), yet this causes all kinds of upset.

And the whole design to cause distress...it kinda makes me think about all those people who emotional invest in harem stories and in particular ships that obviously wont happen, but instead sit through couplings they are opposed to.

Harems and NTR are two different things, the main difference being the focus: Let's take an guy with an harem of two girls and a guy cheating on his girlfriend with another girl. The main difference is that in an harem the focus is on the guy while in NTR the focus is on the cheated girl and her reaction. This change in focus might seem inconsequential but from a storytelling point of view it shifts the focus mainly into upsetting the readers. Case in point: there's very few, if any NTR works that are labelled as comedy, compared to the flock of harem romcoms.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Boku To Majo No Jikan 13-14

OMG this updated?

Man I remembered really loving this too. Totally forgot about it though.

It's a bit scary to me that I didn't even come close to thinking about Naruto but my first reaction was Senran Kagura

Is it because of jintor's luscious, bouncing breasts?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
On the subject of NTR, I think it would be a neat idea if you see it as such from the guy's perspective, but then it's revealed that he and the girl have already broken up for a while and the guy is just a possessive abusive asshole.

So basically you get to sit in the shoes of the abuser in a domestic violence type relationship, and appropriately feel dirty from the shit he does in his warped idea of things.

I've never read an NTR story and don't ever intend to.

Wagatsuma-san 93

So its not his fault (directly at least :p) but now the ball is in his court.

lets see what happens since it wont be just about him this time (as the teacher says its her dream)

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 34

LOLOLOLOL

Shit got fucking real.

Zweizer

Banned
Jitsu wa Watashi wa ch34

The reactions were gold.

On sadder news:
Group translating Jitsu wa Watashi wa said:
Well, looks like I'll have to stop releasing for now.
It was really boring to do all the tasks (except for translating) by yourself. Plus, I have to focus in my career.
I can't do it all by myself anymore. If someone actually joins and helps me with this, I may work in this series again. But if no one joins, you'll have to wait till October or November.

scy

A lot of it was covered but it's also worth noting that like half of NTR stories are also mindbreak in the process, not just "lol left you for someone else." Really, the "lol left your for someone else" is just 'vanilla' cheating story stuff.

We like to joke about NTR for silly things (aka, that last Aunt Tits arc) so there's that too.

Edit: Baby Steps 228 - oh right that wasn't the end of the game last chapter oops

Serious discussion about NTR. Hoh boy.

I guess you can put me in the enjoying NTR camp. My suffering can only be relieved by the suffering of others.

New series: Monster's Kindergarten (ultra jump), by Shinkaida Tetsuyarou (新貝田鉄也郎) (H-manga artist)

Youkai youjou Hnnnnnnggggggg

Apparently the author used to only do loli-H mangas. This is a trend I'd like to get behind.
Ultra Jump seems to be poaching talent from that side. Hope Momoiro Armet is successful.

scy

Bocchi na Bokura no Renai Jijou 7 - ...?!

It only took 7 chapters?

Wait, no, his response will take forever. That's it, right?

Usobuko

Banned
Why do I feel like Bambino! is a better read Shokugeki no Soma.

I need to read more of Ishiguro's works, Getenrou was good. Glass Mask & Hotman is on my Plan to Read list too.

Quixzlizx

I don't really consider KNIM to have NTR. She wasn't "stolen" as much as Seo decided to troll the readers again with a random rage-inducing plot twist.

If anything, there was NTR in the opposite direction when he dumped Asuka for her.

scy

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 34 -

6mSVzWy.png

I don't really consider KNIM to have NTR. She wasn't "stolen" as much as Seo decided to troll the readers again with a random rage-inducing plot twist.

Yeah, that's not even remotely close to NTR, despite the joking people like to do with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom