• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
HSDK Final

The saddness....

Welp at least Kenichi got his girl and a daughter to boot. I dunno what the point of whiting out Miu's face was and not showing us grown Kenichi. I really wish JP authors would stop half assing endings like this. I was hopeing for about 25 more chapters to tie up loose ends and show them all in the future. The Renka/Miu/Shigure? Trapazoid finishing off screen makes me sad.

Oda, Kubo and Kishi better make their endings better, well Oda might but Kubo and Kishi probably won't lol.

Fairy tail

What? Natsu had Igneel inside him all along? So the other 4 should show up to push back Acnologia as 5 Dragons vs 1 lol. Can't wait for Natsu's origins to be revealed and what the role of the Dragon Slayers are in the grand scheme of things.

Akito

I totally forgot about the Nisekoi bet. Does anyone has a handy avatar to give to me?
bt8Oq0m.png

Usobuko

Banned
Thinking about my top manga, for the most part it's easy for me to have an order for them, since unlike video games I'm not as invested in them that the amount of good stuff I've read is smaller than good games I've played.

1. Needless
2. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
3. Getter Robo (Original, G, Go, & Shin)
4. Akira
5. Devilman

Well, that's mine anyway.

With the exception of Needless, all of these are extremely old manga.

That's what I called invested :p

That ending for HSDK was pretty dumb, it seems that the series was just suddenly axed. Part of me wants to believe in the possibility that the manga will continue but with another name (as in, Kenichi is not a "disciple" anymore).

Kieli

Latest chapter of Magi

This chapter redeems the series a little after the Alma Toran arc dragged way too long.

Glad to see the core trio is back together.

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatte Iru Darou ka Gaiden - Sword Oratoria 04

Oh hey, it finally came around to the beginning of the main series.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Any recommendations on stories with characters being weak and eventually growing? Kenichi ended and I feel like not many mangas did it as well as Kenichi did in a very light hearted/eye of the tiger way. Might have to draw my own story and manga so these damn artist know how to do it right!

Usobuko

Banned
Any recommendations on stories with characters being weak and eventually growing? Kenichi ended and I feel like not many mangas did it as well as Kenichi did in a very light hearted/eye of the tiger way. Might have to draw my own story and manga so these damn artist know how to do it right!

Do you dig sports manga? I like Baby Steps. It's not as light-hearted but it s pretty grounded.

Plus chapter 135 was amazing.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone

Glass mask is the ultimate story about a weak character with potential becoming more powerful through much training.

Usobuko

Banned
I'll do a top 5 ongoing obscure manga ( under 500 count in MAL ) in no particular order.

Rin ( Harold Sakuishi )
Kakukaku Shikajika ( Akiko Higashimura )
Imawa no Kuni no Alice ( Asou Haro )
Ookami no Kuchi: Wolfsmund ( Mitsuhisa Kuji )
Yugami-kun ni wa Tomodachi ga Inai ( Jun Sakura )

Wanted to have Moteki or Tsumi to Batsu: A Falsified Romance replacing Yugami but both were finished works.

survivor

Banned
Finished reading Alive by Hajime Taguchi. It's one of those manga published by GEN Manga. Used to be a magazine that specialized in publishing indie Japanese manga exclusively. Which is weird to see a western publisher go after Japanese artists and publish them first before even in Japan. Not sure how successful they have been, the magazine hasn't been running for a while and I think now they are sticking with doing print releases of complete stories instead of an anthology magazine.

Anyway, Alive is a collection of short stories mostly dabbling in teenagers and adults conflicts with love and angst. Though there are some supernatural and lighthearted stories mixed in. Some of the stories didn't have an actual narrative or an ending, mostly just stopping without a sense of conclusion. Reminded me a lot of the short stories by Tatsumi's where they had sudden endings as well. Amateur art aside, I thought this was a decent collection. Nothing too notable, I can barely remember any of them, but there were some interesting ideas here and there.

Usobuko

Banned
Finished reading Alive by Hajime Taguchi. It's one of those manga published by GEN Manga. Used to be a magazine that specialized in publishing indie Japanese manga exclusively. Which is weird to see a western publisher go after Japanese artists and publish them first before even in Japan. Not sure how successful they have been, the magazine hasn't been running for a while and I think now they are sticking with doing print releases of complete stories instead of an anthology magazine.

Anyway, Alive is a collection of short stories mostly dabbling in teenagers and adults conflicts with love and angst. Though there are some supernatural and lighthearted stories mixed in. Some of the stories didn't have an actual narrative or an ending, mostly just stopping without a sense of conclusion. Reminded me a lot of the short stories by Tatsumi's where they had sudden endings as well. Amateur art aside, I thought this was a decent collection. Nothing too notable, I can barely remember any of them, but there were some interesting ideas here and there.

Looks like something I would read, the only thing I had against Tatsumi was his artstyle.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Do you dig sports manga? I like Baby Steps. It's not as light-hearted but it s pretty grounded.

Plus chapter 135 was amazing.

I read it and then watched the anime. I'm currently re-reading Holyland so I'll probably read Baby Steps again and Nisekoi.

Glass mask is the ultimate story about a weak character with potential becoming more powerful through much training.

Hm, I've heard of Glass Mask, I'll give it a shot!

I am actually serious about

Artamène ou le Grand Cyrus

MangaGAF might actually love this ;)

Immense (15, 000-page) novel by Madeleine de Scudéry published in 10 instalments between 1649 and 1653. Artamène realizes the potential of the roman héroïque, the dominant form in the first half of the 17th c., when Scudéry was its leading practitioner. This version of the life of Cyrus the Great is both carefully documented—Scudéry's sources, notably Xenophon's Cyropaedia, are evident—and heavily novelistic: virtually all the great hero's actions are motivated by love for his beloved Mandane.

Before it closes on Cyrus's coronation and union with Mandane, the novel features endless twists—Cyrus is long disguised as Artamène; Mandane is repeatedly carried off—to keep the lovers apart. The plot is most frequently interrupted when one character tells another's story. Most of the final volume is devoted to ‘The Story of Sappho’, an episode which is simultaneously Sappho's first modern biography and a recreation of the life of Scudéry, often called ‘Sapho’.
A LONG STORY OF ROMANCE, TWIST, AND BETRAYAL

ARE YOU NOT PLEASED?

You should read Tokyo Ghoul though it's Seinen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom