• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OT13| Don't bite the dog that feeds the hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scy

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi 583 [END] - That massive time skip for the final page. What.

So what's the story on this suddenly ending?

dramatis

Tokyo Ghoul FIN

Solid story, vague ending.

Perhaps the author intended this particular 'volume' to be the tale of Kaneki. I'm surprised that a lot of people seem to like Kaneki a lot; he has qualities that are admirable, but his meandering and self-conflict was already wearing out its welcome by the conclusion of the manga. Although I don't consider the character himself at fault for failing to overcome the odds against him, I also don't particularly feel that strongly for Kaneki.

The full circle of the Amon and Kaneki standoff, coming all the way from their very first fight, is a very nice event. I think the 'tragedy' of the ending is somewhat diluted by the vagueness of it.

While reading Tokyo Ghoul, I could not help but draw lines between this manga and Attack on Titan. Ironically even though AoT is properly shounen in name, I feel as though Tokyo Ghoul is more shounen than AoT in story and character content, just that there's more graphic depiction. The main character being saddled with an ability he didn't ask for, the eating of humans, the main character being weaker than most of his allies (at least in the beginning).

Of particular distinction is Touka, who initially resembles Mikasa, but as usual falls quickly behind new male characters and the main character in terms of fighting ability and capacity to think. That's just disappointing.

Conclusion: Good but not great. Characters are charming. Story is solid, but does wander off once in a while.

Lain

From The New World Vol 5
Tydb.jpg

Nothing like some lesbian sex after seeing so many people slaughtered and finding out that the fiend is the daughter of your dead best friend and lover.
Older Saki has a nice pair of big boobs, that's for sure, which goes to prove that she has what it takes to lead.
To be honest, I didn't remember this part in the anime, not only the wild lesbian sex with the new girl, but also the two joining in to go to Tokyo.

The 2 men going with them are kinda big pieces of shit.

Zweizer

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma ch81-85

Nikumi proves yet again that she's best girl~

And a welcome change of judges, with more delicious juicy meat instead of dessicated shit.

Chariot

the main character being weaker than most of his allies (at least in the beginning).
Apropos, what are manga where the main character is relatively weak or average? "Normal" characters in a group of superpowered do not count.

I can remember Shaman King, where You was without a doubt strong, but not even the strongest in his team (at least by Furiyoku) and by god not even close to the enemy. And I think Gon in HxH is regulary weaker than Killua and Kuripaka.

Quixzlizx

Apropos, what are manga where the main character is relatively weak or average? "Normal" characters in a group of superpowered do not count.

I can remember Shaman King, where You was without a doubt strong, but not even the strongest in his team (at least by Furiyoku) and by god not even close to the enemy. And I think Gon in HxH is regulary weaker than Killua and Kuripaka.

Girls of the Wild's

ryan13ts

Fairy Tail

Ok, the whole "I've always been inside you" thing is a little contrived but it's still awesome to finally see Igneel in the flesh after 400 chapters. I'm guessing that means the other dragons are in their respective dragon slayers as well, which really doesn't explain how the dragons could talk to each other (Grandeeny and Igneel anyways).

You'd also think they would have noticed a fucking dragon going inside them when they disappeared. Got to love the logic of manga...

of course! you can talk about whatever you like. There are definitely more people here who read Fairy Tail too.

also if you ever want to try different stuff or even just want more shounen recommendations, just ask the thread :)
I should clarify that I don't only read shounen. Reading some the reviews here has introduced me to new series. Too bad school has taken my reading time :

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
How is the manga for From The New World compared to the anime? Should I read the manga first or skip it for the anime?

The manga is trash. Basically threw out the tone of FOTW for yuri sex.

ElFly

History Strongest Disciple Kenichi: Final Chapter

Not gonna lie, I am ok with this ending.

Mostly cause it deals with the shipping, also has Kenichi shooting light out of his eyes, and has Kenichi become an author and also a master, eventually.

Could have been better, but it works for me.

HSDK Ending

Poor ending...I mean a series with over 500 chapters and the run up to the ending was only evident in the previous chapter because...the other said so. He didn't even show Kenichi as a master. I mean we have read through 500 chapters and he doesnt even give that kind of pay off. It just read like the end of a typically minor arc, except it was the end of the whole series. Bit of a fail.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I don't even need to see kenichi be a master really, but the entire arc is so rushed that the "rising sun" or whatever meant jack shit, with heel face turns out of nowhere and the manga pretty much loses all pretense of being about martial arts anymore with bullshit powers that amount to hitting stuff really hard or shooting beams.

Tokyo Ghoul OT
Was it good? yes.
Was it excellent? no.
How did it end? As depressing as the theme of this manga.
Oh well, i guess a sequel will be coming or something in the future.
I think i'll leave this here as a salute to everything that was tokyo ghoul.

This made me fuckin sad. There better be a sequel damnit.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Fairy Tail

Ok, the whole "I've always been inside you" thing is a little contrived but it's still awesome to finally see Igneel in the flesh after 400 chapters. I'm guessing that means the other dragons are in their respective dragon slayers as well, which really doesn't explain how the dragons could talk to each other (Grandeeny and Igneel anyways).

You'd also think they would have noticed a fucking dragon going inside them when they disappeared. Got to love the logic of manga...

I don't think he's literally inside him, I think its more like he left something there that would allow him to do that.

MSMrRound

Iinazuke Kyoutei 20

Oh crap. Another seemingly insane one joins the harem. Run dude, run!

Azumi 63-65

From old foes to potential allies eh. Story is developing nicely.

HSDK Ending

Well...it's over.

Definetly rushed as fuck, but at least...it wrapped things the best it could with only one chapter.

I'll miss the series, they were a fun read.

Sai

History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi

Yeah, that ending did feel kind of rushed. Maybe the author will expand on things a bit in the tankobon release.

Both sad and happy to see it end though. Twelve years...

Revo

So does Kenichi have an even worse ending than Reborn or are they about the same level of terrible?

Reborn is the ultimate terrible ending. You can an end a manga mid final fight and it would be better.

Kono oto Tomare! 21

More generic club stuff in music setting.

upandaway

Komorebi no Kuni - Le duché ch1-4

Like 2-3 pages into it I got up and made some tea, pretty much out of necessity. The art is so cozy. With the full color and everything, it's got sort of a classy atmosphere going on, just really nice.

It's also running for manga with the least amount of plot I've ever read, which actually feels incredible (but also serves as a warning for those who don't feel okay with that). It's all basically brought in by the art and the way it carries itself.

In love with this right now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom