• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crown Craze 4

Boys trip to the aquarion with an over excited high schooler at the fishtank and more was relaxing for that but the thought provoking with the action under the corner area.

Cat part was odd especially the blood on hands....

wonzo

Banned
killingtrees22.jpg

killingtrees22a.jpg

the beginning of what is very two large orders. rip wallet

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Pietà
(2 Volumes)
Josei, shoujo ai, drama.

What a lovely piece this was. I personally like depressing atmospheres, so this was excellent for me. This is a story about self-abuse, self-identity, and love. The main character struggles with depression, low self-confidence, and suicidal tendencies, and seeing her growth is both sad and hopeful. The relationship between the two girls is very tasteful, and it serves as a backdrop for the development for them. Through their reliance, they recognize traits in themselves that are counter-balanced by their significant other. I really liked that stupid romance tropes were absent: you won't find a love triangle, misunderstandings, or unrealistic drama between the two.

Perhaps I'm just feeling melancholy, but this was a beautiful, short manga to finish my evening with (this was supposed to post 6 hours ago).

I thought the whole "those girls are so SPECIAL and PRECIOUS." by the psychiatrist adopted father was kinda dumb at the end, but yeah, pieta was nice.

survivor

Banned
Pietà
(2 Volumes)
Josei, shoujo ai, drama.

What a lovely piece this was. I personally like depressing atmospheres, so this was excellent for me. This is a story about self-abuse, self-identity, and love. The main character struggles with depression, low self-confidence, and suicidal tendencies, and seeing her growth is both sad and hopeful. The relationship between the two girls is very tasteful, and it serves as a backdrop for the development for them. Through their reliance, they recognize traits in themselves that are counter-balanced by their significant other. I really liked that stupid romance tropes were absent: you won't find a love triangle, misunderstandings, or unrealistic drama between the two.

Perhaps I'm just feeling melancholy, but this was a beautiful, short manga to finish my evening with (this was supposed to post 6 hours ago).
From what I remember of this, I had a big issue with the art. Outside of the mysterious Josei syndrome of disappearing backgrounds, I found the general art style lifeless, sorta lacking in personality. It could have used some more non-standard paneling or some more abstract backgrounds. Still it was a lovely story and definitely worth reading.

Lain

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18780843/manga/killingtrees22.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18780843/manga/killingtrees22a.jpg

the beginning of what is very two large orders. rip wallet

I need to get Centaur's Life 2 and woah, I fell behind on Wandering Son. The last one I picked was 4.

Here's another reason I like MAL. My list is is pretty.
I'm reading (clickable image)

I just put Bleach and Naruto on hold a few weeks ago. Life is much better.

Is it easy to add stuff on MAL? I used to use Mangaupdates, but I find myself disliking it a bit how it's there.

Soma

Currently reading/catching up on
Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou
Blame!
Horimiya
Berserk
Shokugeki no Soma
Prison School
Chimoguri Ringo to Kingyobachi Otoko
The Voynich Hotel
Nanatsu no Taizai
Silver Spoon
Nejimaki Kagyu
Ran to Haiiro no Sekai

Planning on starting soon/eventually
Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou
Tetsuwan Girl
Otoyomegatari
Mob Psycho 100

Aizo

Banned
Is it easy to add stuff on MAL? I used to use Mangaupdates, but I find myself disliking it a bit how it's there.

Super easy! Example:
Search for a manga, then go to the left side:
Then click on "Add to my list" near the top or bottom. It will take you to this:
You can then, right there, set its status (Reading, dropped, on-hold, plan to read, or completed), the number of volumes/chapters read, and the score. Very clean and easy system, I think.

By the way, mine looks like that because of some HTML code I copied. Super easy. The original list design is pretty boring, but I think mangaupdates is pretty boring to look at, too.

kasane

I should add everything on Mal, sometimes I'm just too lazy to do so that's why it's hard to ask for recommendations

Edit: is there an app for MAL on iOS?

Koi ni Nare! 5
BguejxHCMAAhdeW.png

The Nakajima Komatsu roommate route is still more interesting then the main pairing itself. Nakajima is practically begging to be in a relationship with him even (well even if just playing since hes not like that). Still hes a fun roommate and kind of responsible for helping move the actual main couple relationship forward. Good kissing.

survivor

Banned
Kabu no Isaki vol 1
So many great feelings from this manga similar to YKK. This one seems to have more character interactions and possibly a strong romantic subplot, I think, but it still shares the same essence and direction that made YKK great. Lots of scenery shots, characters gazing, and a countryside sci-fi type setting. The colour pages are pretty damn awesome as well.

I also reread Kotonoba Drive again. Lots of great potential there.

List warz Kai

"Main manga list that are ongoing"
Bleach
One Piece
Nisekoi
Fairy Tail
HSD Kenichi
Dragons Rioting
Gun X Clover
Beelzebub ;_;
HunterXHunter (LOL)
UQ Holder
Sakamoto no Desu aka Swagmoto
Naruto (waiting for the end)
A couple of others that might be slipping my mind right now.

"Behind on/catching up on aka backlog manga list"
Ao No Exorcist
World Trigger
One Man Punch
Toriko (lol so behind)
Magi
Attack on Titans
Gamble Fish
Sekirei
Breaker: New Waves
Freezing
GTO Shonan 14 days
Initial D (waiting for final chapters)
D. Gray Man (Will it ever end?)
The World God Only Knows
Aunt Tits aka Minamoto-kun
Shaman King Flowers
So many that I forgot I was even reading unless I suddenly remember after looking at an update on the series.

"New manga list aka addition to backlog"
High School DxD (Light novel in manga form? YES PLEASE! <3)
Mahouka koukou no Rettosai (Another LN in manga form and less wordy)
Witchcraft Works (anime got me into it)
A couple more to be added when I get to them such as Illegal Rare. >.>

"Dropped manga list"
Claymore (wtf)
Gantz (nope)
Beet the Vandel Buster (author never updated so I quit on it)
Most of the Freezing author's works. That guy has women issues he needs to work out. Thankfully Freezing is still decent.
A couple more but none worth remembering because they were terrible and canceled or both.

"Recently completed manga"
Kimi no Iru Machi (Rage Town is done what a relief!)
R+V II (Not done yet but close enough)
Nothing else comes to mind though Beelzebub is likely to join this list soon. :(

"Completed manga"
.... Are you kidding me? I would probably need 2 hours to remember all the manga I've read and another hour to write them all down in a post.
Pretty much all the 1990s shonen mangas all finished to this day. Along with plenty of other mangas that I got my hands on during middle and high school.

Westlo

Just tidying up my mal lists since it has been a while since I read manga.... and I notice that Pastel is still ongoing... how the fuck is this possible... it looked like it was nearly finishing up the last chapter I read which was like ch 87, many years ago. It's amazing how this has been serialized for 14 years and yet Parallel only lasted 19 chapters.... oh well I noticed he started another new series so maybe he'll finally end Pastel... guess I'll check out Sailor Fuku, Tokidoki Apron....

Anyway my current small reading list.

Boku Girl
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Kono Onee-san wa Fiction desu!?
Lasboss x Hero
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou

Got 152 series on hold, will probably start to get into some of them again soon as well as some stuff I haven't tried before.

Also anyone know if Kitazaki Taku who did Sakuranbo Syndrome and Kono S wo, Mi yo! has got a new series going yet. He finished up the later last April and my googlefu is failing me in finding anything on a new series.

survivor

Banned
Just tidying up my mal lists since it has been a while since I read manga.... and I notice that Pastel is still ongoing... how the fuck is this possible... it looked like it was nearly finishing up the last chapter I read which was like ch 87, many years ago. It's amazing how this has been serialized for 14 years and yet Parallel only lasted 19 chapters.... oh well I noticed he started another new series so maybe he'll finally end Pastel... guess I'll check out Sailor Fuku, Tokidoki Apron....

Anyway my current small reading list.

Boku Girl
Inari, Konkon, Koi Iroha
Kono Onee-san wa Fiction desu!?
Lasboss x Hero
Monster Musume no Iru Nichijou

Got 152 series on hold, will probably start to get into some of them again soon as well as some stuff I haven't tried before.

Also anyone know if Kitazaki Taku who did Sakuranbo Syndrome and Kono S wo, Mi yo! has got a new series going yet. He finished up the later last April and my googlefu is failing me in finding anything on a new series.

He is working on some samurai historical manga which is a sequel/remake to this series. He posted a picture about it on his website and I think only 2 chapters been out so far. There doesn't seem to be any translations available however.

Aizo

Banned
I should add everything on Mal, sometimes I'm just too lazy to do so that's why it's hard to ask for recommendations

Edit: is there an app for MAL on iOS?

I don't think there's an app.
There is a nice computer program that's even easier to use for updating, though!
http://www.malupdater.com/
You can even set it up to automatically update episodes (if you watch those wacky Japanese cartoons) when you watch them. It works with several video programs.
You should really be using Media Player Classic, though. Let's be honest.
It also updates with crunchyroll, if that's how you watch your stuff.

MAL also works in association with MAL Graph if you like stats, like me. MAL is just the most customizable and supported service out there.

Aizo

Banned
How do you customise MAL like that?

HTML coding! A lot of people make custom themes and put their code up.

MAL sucks

Once you go Hummingbird you can't go back
It's yesterday's twitter conversation all over again! :p

I didn't know hummingbird didn't have manga. Since all my friends use MAL, I frequent one club, I made a Horror manga club, I have a custom layout that looks really nice to me (see above), it's easy to view my friends ratings to see if I should read/watch something, I have a very accessible and convenient PC program that auto-updates my anime stats, and there is a really nice stat site... I'll stick with MAL.

kasane

I don't think there's an app.
There is a nice computer program that's even easier to use for updating, though!
http://www.malupdater.com/
You can even set it up to automatically update episodes (if you watch those wacky Japanese cartoons) when you watch them. It works with several video programs.
You should really be using Media Player Classic, though. Let's be honest.
It also updates with crunchyroll, if that's how you watch your stuff.

MAL also works in association with MAL Graph if you like stats, like me. MAL is just the most customizable and supported service out there.

Yea i only use MPC and Crunchyroll

Gun & Girls 01

Ewwwww, mobile games.

I did enjoy all the references to other series about girls doing things in some sort of club.

kasane

Golden boy

Looking back this was the sort of lifestyle i wanted, just travelling around, learning, gaining life experiences.

mjontrix

Minamoto-kun Monogatari 114

She's 10, legit pedo route.

Aunt Tits 114

Minamoto going to become a pedo.

Aunt Tits 114
This is legit pedo now.

Aunt Tits

I guess all of us are going to jail next week.

aunt Tits 114

Loli Alert.

Aunt Tits
Why don't you have a seat over there? Cause we can't stop now this is pedo territory!

Aunt tits 114

Wow, she's 10. Welp, not like that stops most mangaka! Let's get this started, it's loli time!

Can't wait for the inevitable yaoi prison arc. :lol

Minamoto

Plot twist. This is all his dreams since he was convicted

Aunt Tits Crime Edition - welp

Aunt Tits 114

Jesse-Pinkman-Breaking-Bad-Drinking-Water.gif

Aunt Tits

Oh god. Why.

WHY!!!

Aunt's Tits

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

HOLY SHIT

LOL

GG

Aunt Tits 114

Oh, so we are going down that kind of path now....

*INTEREST INTENSIFIES*

Aunt Tits 114

okws5FL.gif

Minamoto-kun 114

gXRfGlH.gif

Hey guys, what's going on in he--

Aunt Tits 114

We had a good run.

Ill see you all in Minamoto-kun Monogatari: Prison Tales.

Don't drop the soap!

its clearly going to be that he'll promise to date her when shes older - they arent going to do that sort of thing in manga format in a published series.

Nordicus

Taiyou no Ie 39

Cuteness. Though I am bit annoyed that despite how open the two are to each other, they don't go further than this. Daiki even told them a white lie to give them some alone time!

Aizo

Banned
I've never read Aunt Tits before, but I wanted to see what everyone was getting so excited about.

Is this manga always so full of Genji Monogatari references? Since I've read that book so much, that was the weirdest part for me. One is Heian era court literature... the other is smut. What an intense dichotomy between the two! Their choice for Murasaki is shameful. I hope they never have a Tamakazura. That shit would be awkward.

I've never read Aunt Tits before, but I wanted to see what everyone was getting so excited about.

Is this manga always so full of Genji Monogatari references? Since I've read that book so much, that was the weirdest part for me. One is Heian era court literature... the other is smut. What an intense dichotomy between the two! Their choice for Murasaki is shameful. I hope they never have a Tamakazura. That shit would be awkward.

I never read Genji but after reading this, I don't plan to. not after this chapter.

Teppuu 24

These fights have all been super intense. Liked the twist to Sanae's personality, but I'm confused--is this the first we've heard about her bullying the MC's brother?

Edit: nevermind just remembered when they visited the dojo.

kasane

Well thats the point of the manga

Aizo

Banned
I never read Genji but after reading this, I don't plan to. not after this chapter.

Hahaha. It's nothing like this. Although by today's standards, some of Genji's actions are questionable. Reading it by today's standards is pretty inappropriate, though. It's an interesting, albeit long, book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom