• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Teppu 23
teppu23.jpg

That was pretty damn intense!

I'm glad they went into Natsuo's backstory and just laid it all bare. Jesus christ her brother's an even bigger piece of shit than I previously imagined.

MMY 29

Holy shit, what a rollercoaster of a chapter.

Jintor

I'm gonna save up a Teppu backlog and read it all in one go at some point because trying to follow it month-to-month just means I keep forgetting who people are

Akito

Drop it and read something else that is good, it's not worth the time investment. Or you can do what I did and just jump to the last 3 volumes lol
Just spent an hour flipping through the remaining volumes and trololol, I'm glad I didn't seriously try to read this, wow so darkness much edgy, Zero's origin story was hilarious.

Akito

Buyuden (END)
Someone needs to nuke this "I"ll only confess if..." trope from orbit. Ah well, terrible ending as you could have expected but as I said though I'm not too salty it got axed, Mitsuda needs a better editor who doesn't let him waste chapter after chapter for pretty much mundane things.

Buyuden (END)

Someone needs to nuke this "I"ll only confess if..." trope from orbit. Ah well, terrible ending as you could have expected but as I said though I'm not too salty it got axed, Mitsuda needs a better editor who doesn't let him waste chapter after chapter for pretty much mundane things.

Oh boy, and I was just going to pick it up again. It's kinda crazy how Major ran for almost 16 years and Buyuden couldn't even make 3.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Buyuden (end)
Boy, what a non-confession. I dropped this earlier because it was getting boring. Someone want to tell me if the other manager girl ever ended up confessing to Take? Because I read one of the preceding chapters and she gave Moka and Take a chance to walk together alone, which seems really out of character with what I remembered of her.

Akito

Buyuden (end)
Boy, what a non-confession. I dropped this earlier because it was getting boring. Someone want to tell me if the other manager girl ever ended up confessing to Take? Because I read one of the preceding chapters and she gave Moka and Take a chance to walk together alone, which seems really out of character with what I remembered of her.
If this would go on for like 20 more volumes, that could have happened, and then 20 more volumes for Moka to lose some weight, 20 more for for her and Take to hook up. That worked for Major, why not here as well right lol

LeleSocho

Banned
Tetsuwan Girl 55-69
I buy the volumes now and finish it before you all or wait based Akito/Lain and then support the mangaka later?

upandaway

If this would go on for like 20 more volumes, that could have happened, and then 20 more for for her and Take to hook up. That worked for Major, why not here as well right lol
This might be a bit cruel, but sometimes I feel like most of Major was only justified because of the beginning of it that I really liked (up until he reveals the hand switch, I guess). At some point the matches and characters were all complete copies of previous ones. Buyuden's beginning was only "there" in comparison, so it makes sense that it didn't have a footing.

It also doesn't help that Moka never came back in part 2.

Lain

Teppu 23

Finally! Great chapter etc etc. Natsuo keeps being a great female lead and an anti-heroine, which is what makes her a great female lead.
I don't believe for a second that 24 and 25 will be translated before 26, but I hope to be proven wrong.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
If this would go on for like 20 more volumes, that could have happened, and then 20 more volumes for Moka to lose some weight, 20 more for for her and Take to hook up. That worked for Major, why not here as well right lol
Ha, then is Buyuden just a rehash of Major? Points off from originality for him then. The beginning of Buyuden reminded me a lot of History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi for some reason.

Hitoribocchi no Chikyuu Shinryaku 1-5
A boy who just wants to succeed his grandfather's coffee shop gets involved with an alien girl who wants to take over the world. The pacing is way too fast and the girl acts too much like a normal human, but I'm interested in how she knows him from the past.

Okitenemuru 3
Bgw8n3_CUAE9-zd.png

Didnt think we needed a break already but if its for more research then perhaps it is necessary. Looking forward to the truth behind things as it cant really just be a parasite at work, especially if all the agents are around. Oh well looking forward to his power.

Akito

Tetsuwan Girl 55-69
I buy the volumes now and finish it before you all or wait based Akito/Lain and then support the mangaka later?
As long as you end up buying it.

Ha, then is Buyuden just a rehash of Major? Points off from originality for him then. The beginning of Buyuden reminded me a lot of History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi for some reason.
It follows basically the same story structure, kid gets introduced to a sport, does well at it, forms a club in school with other kids who are seemingly terrible at it but he can still compete with others, who go to more prestigious schools with much better equipment and proper coaches. The only thing that Buyuden had over Major was Moka, who is really good at boxing despite being a girl but even that got scrapped soon enough. Everyone should read Katsu for a similar but much better executed story.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah Moka was the only reason I was even reading Buyuden to begin with to be honest. She kicked ass as a kid.

Logick 1-8
A guy who intends to drop out from art school comes across an underclassmen who wants to be his disciple. This is hitting way too close to home: not knowing what to do and studying something just because you're good at it, and then just shutting yourself off from the world and playing video games instead... But I disagree with the disciple girl, I don't think it's a problem he can solve himself.

Lain

So, I watched The Legend Is Born – Ip Man, Ip Man and Ip Man 2.
Is there some manga (unlikely I guess) or manhua that deals with the life of the Wing Chun grandmaster?

scy

:(

All You Need is Kill 6 - "I don't say this kind of thing to just anybody." welp. And Harem route closed.

Hey, maybe we'll finally show something happening.

Maoyuu 29
Go Maou, show that fascist new Blue Demon King how you do things. I so wanted to the other guys to kill the Blue Demon King

Code:Breaker 224-229 (epilogue 1)
BgxiY0TCYAAJ-Y8.png

Fantastic finally arc with hilarious moments in this epic fight. Kind of funny how Ogami Rei turned out once the whole fighting went down and the price to be paid (though fairly predictable even). Toki had the best moments all arc as the standing up to Fujiwara, enduring it all, and then the breakdown once he was burning away (really painful and too emotional considering the whole aspect of how he viewed him as a dad and idol in the end still), made it memorable.

Will always miss Code:breaker...and Bento!.

Marche90

Considering the last week I went full hikkikomori and started reading series, I figured I could post some impressions here.

Silver Spoon: up to the latest chapter

Hirom Arakawa is a genius. She absolutely knows how to tell a story and keep her audience engaged; a serious plot but lots of comedy going on and a decent amount of romance, not no mention that her artwork is pretty good. Can't wait to see how it unfolds. Also, dammit, Hachiken, stop beating around the bush and confess already!

My wife is Wagatsuma-san 1-11 and restarting form 1 to 68, I think (or was it 79?). Anyway, latest chapter

Why the odd numbering? The series got a reboot after the first chapter 11, but kept most of the plots and characters intact.
It's such a shame that the apparently the series is not really known, since finding info about it is pretty rare (and I haven't really seen someone mention it in this thread). While I confess that the character designs of the main guys are not exactly great, I think that it is supposed to be that way, since not everyone looks bad, plus, the women's designs is pretty cute. Anyway, back to impressions.
This series is an absolute blast to read. The manga is about a guy who is pretty much a nobody, but likes one of the most idolized girls in the school, the titular Ai Wagatsuma, not only for her looks but because she has a nice personality. Problem is that he is totally unable to get close to her. Hell, the only woman he talks on a normal basis is her little sister! As if that wasn't enough, thanks to his status as a loser, he is in a "club" called the "DX corps", which essentially amounts to a bunch of losers rambling about those "life havers". Nothing so far that screams originality here. However, one day, he gets into something he calls a Time Slip, which allows him to live a few moments of his life 10 years into the future. Lo and behold, he is married to Ai. How did this happen? The series is about how he can use the info he gets about the future to make his life a little bit better and get the results he wants, or to correct the future and avoid undesired results. For example, some of the actions he has realized changed the future in a manner that the resulting wife is someone else (so far we have had 2 more). How will things end for him in the end?
The main character, Aoshima Hitoshi is a pretty funny, but dumb, guy and the situation he gets stuck with gives leeway to make some situations even more funny, since most of the time the T.S. are totally random, and he gets disoriented whenever he returns to the present, not to mention that listening to him rambling about the future is pretty amusing ("I'm going to be married to Wagatsuma-san!" -.Aoshima "AS IF, YOU FOOL!" -The rest of the DX corps), and obviously, no one believes him.
The latest chapters are actually one of the most interesting of the series, since to the surprise of everybody (including this reader, since rarely in a romantic series the main character gets to date someone until the end), he starts dating Ai. However, the most recent chapter leaves us with a enormous cliffhanger: he breaks up with her and he T.S. into a future that leaves him as a NEET, and it's the first time that has ever happened.

Anyway, very recommended, if only for the good laughs. You can find this one on Crunchyroll's line-up in its entirety.

Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio- up to the latest

After reading how Seiji Kishi butchered yet another series, I went up and started reading the original manga. While I know nothing about WW2-era boats, the series so far has mostly managed to keep me entertained.
The latest chapter is mostly about exposition, which isn't all that bad but it's starting to take its toll on me, seeing as I just skimmed the chapter. Hell, I had to open up the chapter again to see what exactly was discussed again. Thankfully, it seems that the next chapter will be another naval battle.
Also, the best character of the series is the Tsundere Heavy Cruiser, of course.

Aunt tits 114

Welp. I definitely wasn't expecting that. See you in prison, guys.

Usagi Drop - The Kiss Following the End of Chapter 56 (Doujinshi)

ibx2fbVmOEpwec.jpg

Even though I liked the series... uh... I should use my better judgement and leave it as is.

Well, that's it for now. Next time hopefully I'll have more impressions about UQ Holder!, since it's the sequel to Mahou Sensei Negima and I've been dying to read it, and maybe Again!!, another not-so-known series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom