• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ritz 1-3 (END?)
0e72m9y.png
What if the author of Saki was actually a young girl on a quest to find her father?

It would probably be nothing like this.

Onodera actually confesses to Raku and they actually get together. In secret of course because Yakuza shenanigans (lulz at them even being remembered)

Then a couple months later they realize how boring it is and break up, leaving an angsting Chitoge free to pursue Raku (netting Tsugumi Mistress route in the process of course).

...Oh god that really would be Rage Town all over again, wouldn't it.

I rather they just toss in more keyblades

Do we get awkward sex chapters like KNIM and GE?

Only if they were drawn in scribbles

Erigu

Not long ago, I learned that Blade of the Immortal had finished its run and has been released in its entirety in the U.S.
Not quite true. In Japan, the series ended back in December 2012, but the US edition is still at its 28th volume (out of a projected 31). Maybe you're referring to illegal translations, but those are less than impressive so I'd suggest waiting for the official one.

Has anyone here read it? Thoughts?
The third arc (out of four) got a bit too long for its own sake, but it got better in the last one.
Overall, I liked the title quite a bit, even if it took me some time to warm up to the actual conclusion, which is a bit odd in certain aspects.

This is the part where I admit I've never read Saki. Because, well, mahjong.

Well yeah, I admit the mahjong is pretty overwhelming even though I played mahjong a lot (though mostly cause the Japanese scoring system is leaps and bounds more complex than the style I usually play).

But, it has a cast filled with nothing but pretty much girls, enough yuri subtext to probably drown in it and surprisingly hot blooded for a mahjong series.

I only watched it so far and will probably read it uhhhhh someday, but it was pretty fun.

scy

I remember trying to read Saki with upandaway's help on understanding mahjong.

I'm still not sure I quite followed things but, yeah, basically just a lot of yuri subtext. That's easy enough to get.

So, uh, it appears that the Mozilla of Manga websites is effectively dead

JPN publishers cracking down on spoilers and now the exertion of power of us publishers on illegitimate sites, the oppression of manga fans near and abroad is rising to new heights. At least domestically cherished series are being picked up for purchase left and right. Definitely getting soma v1 this month.

I remember trying to read Saki with upandaway's help on understanding mahjong.

I'm still not sure I quite followed things but, yeah, basically just a lot of yuri subtext. That's easy enough to get.

The main problem is how stupidly complex Japanese mahjong's scoring system is.

You literally score points based off anything in some shape or matter of how your hand is. I mean, I caught up to all the episodes of Saki so far and I still have no idea how the scoring system works.

And scoring is usually one of the more difficult things to teach people since it never matters until the end or if there is a certain amount of points you need to earn before you can declare a win.

I'll take my simple Hong Kong style mahjong instead.

But of course, you would just watch it for the yuri. It's everywhere.

Iris Zero 20

Awesome arc comes to a close. Some amazing imagery in this with the butterflies. Really good character progression.

This is really damn good.

scy

It was taking me like ... forever to read a chapter :( I gave up. I'm a weak person.

In other news, I made myself sad by checking up on Nyan Koi.

survivor

Banned
Dance till Tomorrow v2

It feels like not a whole a lot has happened over the past 2 volumes outside of the main characters continuously having mindless sex and random comedic moments here and there. It's not bad to have an aimless story like this, I just don't know what possible drama will there be in the next 5 volumes to keep it going cause so far, it's not all that exciting.

In a Heartbeat 13

Finally potential progress on a relationship, only problem is that it must mean the series will wind down, unless we get sweet episodes of them winding down together. A spinoff featuring the backstory would be good.

scy

Dance till Tomorrow v2

It feels like not a whole a lot has happened over the past 2 volumes outside of the main characters continuously having mindless sex and random comedic moments here and there. It's not bad to have an aimless story like this, I just don't know what possible drama will there be in the next 5 volumes to keep it going cause so far, it's not all that exciting.

Interesting.

the power of yuri should keep you going

It basically did. It was all I kept reading it for and just learned to take the mahjong as it was given to me instead of trying to figure it out :x

District Hakkenshi [code:T-8] 14
BiKzBLACIAA4IY0.png

Hilarious, I was expecting him to get powers or something but to use a common tactic combined with the mag opening to get the teachers to run was funny. Also all Shinos panels when the artist pretties him is incredible. Still the shimmering star of mangabox.

So, since I've got like 2 or 3 chapters of Iris Zero left, looking for recommendations of what to read next.

As usual, slice of life, romance type thing. Want something like Bonnouji and Horimiya where it's very much an obvious pair and it's adorable and whatnot. Don't mind length.

Scy recommended Seishun Forget! so I'm gonna give that a go, but open to more suggestions if people have them.

I just really, really want more Horimiya.

So, since I've got like 2 or 3 chapters of Iris Zero left, looking for recommendations of what to read next.

As usual, slice of life, romance type thing. Want something like Bonnouji and Horimiya where it's very much an obvious pair and it's adorable and whatnot. Don't mind length.

Scy recommended Seishun Forget! so I'm gonna give that a go, but open to more suggestions if people have them.

Readdddddddd it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member

Kono Oto Tomare!

i will not quit

Also try Last Game (although there are some ineffectual rival characters)

scy

Oh wow, I didn't recommend Last Game. I fail at life.

Onaidoshi no Onee-chan - I was pretty sure this was going to end with fucking.

It didn't end with fucking.

Maybe there's a second half.

scy

So ... it's actually a good kind of insane?

Kenichi 560 - Disciples! Hooray!

Also, more potential fanservice battles.

Dresden

nobunaga no chef - 56

Putting Kaede and Youko together just emphasizes their extraordinarily awful situation. Don't really see a happy ending for them, but I suppose no one in this manga will, ultimately.

e: ch.58 -

vbWHLVc.png

OYAKATA SAMA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom