• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

Too fucking moe.

0kZAZ0c.png

pls no

Seriously though, she gained a lot of points with this chapter. Like, a whole lot.

She locked up the lead when she put out that line about cooking for those you care about. It's the same thing Soma's father wanted him to learn.

So much denial above me, author is just buttering you up for when Tadokoro doesn't make it into the elite 10 and soma does and he'll start spending time with Erina and Tadokoro will vanish into the background

scy

After catching up to 61, I'm probably fine either way. I'd prefer Erina since I like her design more but eh.

Erina ideally, I'll be fine with Tadokoro, I'll be sad if it's nobody.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's okay, Soma will need a sous-chef.

Then we get waifu shokugeki between Tadokoro and Nikumi for that position.

RIP Useless Meat

Stealth Symphony 01

So this was more interesting than Illegal Rare.

Dragons, tools, lots of weird abilities, it seems like it would be for a fun ride.

I like the art, the color pages were pretty nice due to how colorful they were. The main character's a bit on the scared side but it definitely seems to be less cause he's a wimp but more cause he doesn't want to involve others. I think his partner is also pretty awesome and the dialogue was pretty great.

And all this hope and despair talk definitely helped.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Honto no Kanojo 1-8
Cute. Yuuka's nice to want to see Moe happy, even if it means doing things she's not entirely comfortable with. And it's sweet that Moe loves her real self, not the front she put up for everyone in order to get along. And it's even more sweet that Yuuka didn't want Moe to get hurt for loving her fake personality.

scy

Stealth Symphony 1 - Huge fantasy world setup but ... think it's a bit much there for now. Not sure what's the direction from here at all, actually. The stuff about the heirlooms and powers seems like it could be a neat battle manga thing but I'm not sure that's the angle here? Hard to say.

Interesting by virtue of it telling me nothing.

It's okay, Soma will need a sous-chef.

Then we get waifu shokugeki between Tadokoro and Nikumi for that position.

RIP Useless Meat

;__;

Honto no Kanojo 1-8
Cute. Yuuka's nice to want to see Moe happy, even if it means doing things she's not entirely comfortable with. And it's sweet that Moe loves her real self, not the front she put up for everyone in order to get along. And it's even more sweet that Yuuka didn't want Moe to get hurt for loving her fake personality.

Chapter 8's end is absolutely adorable. Absolutely. Completely.

K: The First 3
BiLYwiOCIAAjKwz.png

Not much action but a few funny panels, Yata's Rawr, Fushimi's joke to Seri, Kuroh's blind faith in Ichigen sama. Many minor details regarding the setting of K was set which made it a good complement to the anime material, but otherwise plot is the same.

survivor

Banned
Gambling Emperor Legend Zero Part 2 - vol 1
I don't know what's going on in the story, but I don't like it. First, Zero is wearing these terrible looking glasses which just make him look like a smug dick, and for some reason he is acting all prepared and mighty. Where are the underdog elements? I'm sure the narrative will switch to his POV, but so far this isn't really the best way to come back to this.

And golf totally blows at this sort of thing. It's an alright sport to watch naturally, but it just doesn't work for these 1v1 outside of the rules type of games. It's not mahjong bad, but it's close.

scy

I couldn't handle this after the god took away her self control at random hours.

toooooo lewd

I was happy that it continued.

Now, I think I would've been satisfied if it had ended.

Yeah I did. It's still weird tho

Just making sure :x But, yeah, it's a pretty strange concept. Or at least, pretty strange way of having the concept (some guys just suddenly become girls~!).

Black Yome ni Yoroshiku! 02

Lots of taking responsibility for your actions while the loli grim reaper goes all doki doki.

I guess the whole past has been explained so whatever, I guess it depends on where this goes from here now.

Also lots of naked loli in this chapter.

Mumei

Not quite true. In Japan, the series ended back in December 2012, but the US edition is still at its 28th volume (out of a projected 31). Maybe you're referring to illegal translations, but those are less than impressive so I'd suggest waiting for the official one.

The third arc (out of four) got a bit too long for its own sake, but it got better in the last one.
Overall, I liked the title quite a bit, even if it took me some time to warm up to the actual conclusion, which is a bit odd in certain aspects.

Oh? No, I wasn't referring to translations. I must have misread something that said it was finished - or maybe I got mixed up on it being finished in Japan versus it being finished here.

Thanks for the impressions, though. I'm having something of a dilemma choosing between manga I partially own that I want to complete.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Just making sure :x But, yeah, it's a pretty strange concept. Or at least, pretty strange way of having the concept (some guys just suddenly become girls~!).
Honestly, I like the whole idea of keeping a person's reluctant crossdressing a secret, but this is just throwing in a weird supernatural explanation in for no reason. Also I'm not entirely with it because even though he's a girl physically now, he still identifies as a male, and they're kind of forcing the whole "accept you're a girl and love this guy" angle. It's weird, and I wonder how someone who identifies with the lgbt community would feel about it.

This is one of the few times I see this concept be executed without it degenerating into a harem somehow, so there's that going for it I guess.

Black Yome ni Yoroshiku! 2
but what about the boobs

scy

Honestly, I like the whole idea of keeping a person's reluctant crossdressing a secret, but this is just throwing in a weird supernatural explanation in for no reason. Also I'm not entirely with it because even though he's a girl physically now, he still identifies as a male, and they're kind of forcing the whole "accept you're a girl and love this guy" angle. It's weird, and I wonder how someone who identifies with the lgbt community would feel about it.

This is one of the few times I see this concept be executed without it degenerating into a harem somehow, so there's that going for it I guess.

Generally speaking, I find the first story better (so far) for dealing with it. The second seems to just revisit the concept and then adds more drama for the sake of it.

Black Yome ni Yoroshiku! 2
but what about the boobs

This is the most important question ever asked.

scy

Black Yome ni Yoroshiku! 1-2 - I see.

I want the childhood friend to win. Which seems against the title of the manga. Though, since loli grim reaper refuses to answer the important questions she doesn't seem to be very likely to win.

Witchcraft Works 29 - Holy shit. She just channeled full-on Emukae for a few pages.

Poor little sister, though. It's a pure love that has nothing to do with love. All she wants is her brother back.

Aizo

Banned
Wandering Son vol 1-2
There was a pretty nice article by Matt Thorn at the end of volume about LGBT life in Japan and how it differs from other western countries. Hopefully he does more of them for future volumes.
Matt Thorn is great. I loved reading his short essays.
So many mods and yet we'll never get tags in the Manga thread (well, aside from Neoriceisgood).
I've always wondered about this. Seems like a lot of you guys deserve tags.

Droplet

Yeah I'm interested in this as well.
EDIT:

Noragami 20-26

Really good stuff. It looks like we've got our next villian. I doubt he's the big bad but he obviously at least works for the big bad.

Also fairly interested...

For those of you who read Wandering Son, are there any other recommendations for manga that deal with similar issues? Most other manga about gender identity I've attempted to read are rather dry and not very engaging, whereas Wandering Son made a great drama that seemed to just happen to have gender identity at its center.

That's probably not the best way to explain what I'm looking for, though.

wonzo

Banned
Also fairly interested...

For those of you who read Wandering Son, are there any other recommendations for manga that deal with similar issues? Most other manga about gender identity I've attempted to read are rather dry and not very engaging, whereas Wandering Son made a great drama that seemed to just happen to have gender identity at its center.

That's probably not the best way to explain what I'm looking for, though.
Bokura no Hentai

upandaway

Attack on Titan

We're going full on into answer territory, seems like. That's pretty exciting. There are definitely multiple opposing factions among the enemies.

Kinda lame resolution as far as torture psychology goes but oh well. Wasn't really expecting a Tokita Yuki or anything.

Stealth Symphony 1

I'm not feeling this at all, the only thing that slightly redeemed the chapter was when he learned the truth and went crazy for a moment... Which was fixed by the invisible dragon which made me shake my head. The main character design is awful and looks like an unfinished rough draft that the mangaka just rolled with.

I enjoyed illegal rare way more then this, both did enough to make me want to read more

Kimi wa Midara na Boku no Joou 1-5

Despite the lewdness there was actually a really sweet story here. Worth a read if you don't mind it being very lewd.

Now, for the next few chapters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom