• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
majikoi - 21

Zero bullshit. Just friendzone. It's nice to see a romance where a reasonably likable lead goes after the unequivocally best girl.

(The 'brother' thing is just something from their childhood where he agreed to be her underling/bro)

Momoyo =/= Best.

Would not even rank her in my top 5 Majikoi girls.

Started reading this a while back and enjoyed it a lot, but then stopped because I wanted to check out the anime or the VN or something (which I still haven't done). Not clicking that second link because it'll ruin the surprise, but it'd be super swell if it was archery girl.

Trust me when I say to avoid the anime.

PK Gaming

It's Not My Fault That My Friend's Not Popular 4

teLAzic.png

I've got some catching up to do

Charade

Lasboss x Hero 1-11

XYB.png

Sounds like me…
I kid, I kid
…
maybe
…

This one started out a little slow, but got more interesting after Sagara found his “power.” The meta stuff has been pretty funny and I do like how the mc is basically the bad guy. The mystery behind it all has also been hidden well enough that I don’t feel I really know what’s going on (which is a good thing).

Rin 1-15

So the “better than Bakuman” claims (scy, thesaucetastic) piqued my interest, and I have to say I agree with them. You get just enough of the manga creation process to feel like an insider, which makes you feel smart (like Bakuman). Combined with the whole fate/past lives/reincarnation aspect, however, takes it to another level. Only thing I would fault it for (besides being a tad slow) is that the “heaven/hell, chose the right girl” thing seems kinda obvious as it stands. Of course, Sakuishi could switch it up, which would make for a hell of a twist.

Also, Bakuman doesn't have the aptly named bird bro.

survivor

Banned
Mother Sarah vol 1

Post apocalyptic sci-fi story by the Akira guy, Otomo Katsuhiro. Surprisngly the art isn't done by him which is weird since the art in Akira was competent enough. Either way, it's not a big deal since the other artist is fucking awesome at doing large scale doublespreads. The story seems to revolve around Sarah trying to find her children after humanity was able to come down to Earth and live there again. There isn't enough to judge the story, but the art is really immersive and the action scenes are fluid and fast which is a really good thing in these type of manga. Excited to read the rest.

scy

My experience with Majikoi is pretty much just those images and I'd have to say she looks like one of the best girls based off that alone.

that sensei blushing, omg

14-Koi

I like how they're pretty much toying with each other and being embarrassed at their own actions.

started 14 koi a few days ago, like i said, it's just too fucking cute

Basically the series in a nutshell. Same for Game Over and Lonely Wolf Lonely Sheep.

Rin 1-15

Also, Bakuman doesn't have the aptly named bird bro.

Bird bro knows all.

Dresden

The thing that makes Majikoi so palatable is that it's not really about the girls winning - it's about the reasonably likable lead going after the woman he loves, with all the drama being efficiently dealt with as he goes. It avoids that pitfall of making the world revolve around the hero, giving other characters a sense of independence that persists well into the story's arc.

majikoi - 33 [end]

Boy won the best girl. Good end.

I'm sorry you and Dresden have been tainted into believing that
almost rapist
is best girl.

Hold on, let me try and mend your ways by posting true best girl.

Tsubame >>> Benkei

Miyako's route never getting completed ;_;

;_;

Jintor

is lonely wolf lonely sheep the one where two girls with the exact same name and nearly the same birthdate turn up to the hospital together coincidentally?

scy

The thing that makes Majikoi so palatable is that it's not really about the girls winning - it's about the reasonably likable lead going after the woman he loves, with all the drama being efficiently dealt with as he goes. It avoids that pitfall of making the world revolve around the hero, giving other characters a sense of independence that persists well into the story's arc.

majikoi - 33 [end]

Boy won the best girl. Good end.

Congratulations, you just got me to read this.

is lonely wolf lonely sheep the one where two girls with the exact same name and nearly the same birthdate turn up to the hospital together coincidentally?

Yeah. Game Over is a sped up version of Nagai's route in 14-sai no Koi.

I recommend that like every other page so I've probably already told you this~~~

survivor

Banned
Blue Spring
This was about the only Matsumoto manga that I haven't read and I figured might as well do that after seeing hiss stuff get mentioned here recently.

Pretty decent short stories collection about delinquents, crazy people and yakuza. The last one about the psycho guy chasing the high school student with trying to murder him even after getting run over was too good. Didn't make any sense, but it doesn't matter, it's the sort of absurd story that I wanted this collection to be filled more with.

Congratulations, you just got me to read this.
archer girls always best girl
You're not allowed to retract that statement once you start reading. A real man always stays true to his beliefs. Or something.

Trust me when I say to avoid the anime.
May just give in and read the manga, since I'm done with anime for the time being anyway, and the VN (x2) without the Miyako route is like a Victoria sponge without jam, cream, sugar, eggs or flour.

scy

Damn you people find anything to waifu wars with now huh lol

It's an artform.

Apparently.

is that the Game Over artist? looks like it...

Yeah, Mizutani Fuka. 14-sai no Koi is pretty good too if you haven't read it. Longer than Game Over (and still ongoing) but still the same feels.

You're not allowed to retract that statement once you start reading. A real man always stays true to his beliefs. Or something.

goddamnit I keep doing this to myself

May just give in and read the manga, since I'm done with anime for the time being anyway, and the VN (x2) without the Miyako route is like a Victoria sponge without jam, cream, sugar, eggs or flour.

Wait, what's left then?

Quasar

Fuuka

Okay, I'll give Seo points for having a gay character in a shonen who isn't a camp gay.

Main dude's bizarre obsession with twitter is weird. What the fuck do you even talk about if you have no real friends.

I'd say most tweets aren't to peoples real life friends. Even for folks who aren't using it for broadcasting links to other content. Its no different to really to any other public-semi-public tool (like irc or a forum or anything). Well aside from the dopy character limit.

survivor

Banned
I'm reading Nana to Kaoru again from the beginning after stopping years ago and I'm really confused. Didn't the manga begin with the guy meeting his favourite writer and ended up learning from him? Cause what I'm reading right now doesn't seem familiar at all.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm reading Nana to Kaoru again from the beginning after stopping years ago and I'm really confused. Didn't the manga begin with the guy meeting his favourite writer and ended up learning from him? Cause what I'm reading right now doesn't seem familiar at all.

That's arashi, the side story.

Magi v1

Kind of mixed about the manga after coming from the anime. The manga start is pretty dull with the caravan and merchant bazaar issues with the two girls and their upbringing. Being a longer chapter didnt help as its hard to really care for things when its Aladdin alone on his own pursuits. Thankfully Alibaba is introduced fast and from there things just stayed on an upward trajectory. I like the drawn comedy moments and some of the great looking poses. Glad I picked it up and the first dungeon is great thus far.

The manga needs more extras beyond just the two page backstory on Shinobu Ohtaka's pursuit of getting a series and typical drawn afterward.

LeleSocho

Banned
In a way i hate 14-sai no Koi because it shows pretty much what would i wanted to experience in my youth but never did.
But for the same reasons i love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom