• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

survivor

Banned
Mother Sarah vol 3-5

these colour pages are so good

I suspected there will be a shift in the story structure after Sarah found her first child, but it doesn't look like that will be the case. I do however wish for a change in the villains they are meeting, something more than assholes army generals

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Rin 1-15

So the “better than Bakuman” claims (scy, thesaucetastic) piqued my interest, and I have to say I agree with them. You get just enough of the manga creation process to feel like an insider, which makes you feel smart (like Bakuman). Combined with the whole fate/past lives/reincarnation aspect, however, takes it to another level. Only thing I would fault it for (besides being a tad slow) is that the “heaven/hell, chose the right girl” thing seems kinda obvious as it stands. Of course, Sakuishi could switch it up, which would make for a hell of a twist.

Also, Bakuman doesn't have the aptly named bird bro.
Missed this earlier, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I agree, the supernatural elements are what push this manga above and beyond. But yeah, it's obvious that Rin is the one he's been waiting for for 1000 years, otherwise why would she react like she has? I think the heaven or hell thing depends entirely on what she's been keeping to herself tho.

upandaway

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103896954]Anybody else still reading Prison School? It's the most consistently funny manga since GTO.[/QUOTE]
Still reading it but the flashback was.. there. Wouldn't really call that consistent but things are back to normal hopefully.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You only didn't like Bans backstory because it sunk your Ban X King ship.

Its pretty funny when DTL tries to rationalize how every romance part of every manga is wrong and out of place other than his own crack pairings.

scy

Missed this earlier, but I'm glad you enjoyed it! I agree, the supernatural elements are what push this manga above and beyond. But yeah, it's obvious that Rin is the one he's been waiting for for 1000 years, otherwise why would she react like she has? I think the heaven or hell thing depends entirely on what she's been keeping to herself tho.

At least, I'm really hoping this to be the case. I quite like her character far more than whateverhernameis. I guess we're just really hoping that it's trying too hard to mislead since things are so obvious.

Guess it also sets up some massive amounts of potential drama.

Its pretty funny when DTL tries to rationalize how every romance part of every manga is wrong and out of place other than his own crack pairings.

He's the best at warfare.

Saw the latest ShindoL story, I said holy shit!
at the black bars of doom
Pretty sweet/vanilla story.

huh

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";103896954]Anybody else still reading Prison School? It's the most consistently funny manga since GTO.[/QUOTE]

I am. It's been alright lately.

Lain

Dude has a car accident with his woman. Woman loses limbs but goes through rehab with him supporting her and now has a pretty good life, they are still together and fuck like mad.
Can't get any sweeter/vanilla than that.
The black of the spoiler tag is there to represent all the black bars present in the story.

wonzo

Banned
Dude has a car accident with his woman. Woman loses limbs but goes through rehab with him supporting her and now has a pretty good life, they are still together and fuck like mad.
Can't get any sweeter/vanilla than that.
The black of the spoiler tag is there to represent all the black bars present in the story.
Sounds like the spiritual sequel to the wheelchair one. Will read when translated.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
At least, I'm really hoping this to be the case. I quite like her character far more than whateverhernameis. I guess we're just really hoping that it's trying too hard to mislead since things are so obvious.

Guess it also sets up some massive amounts of potential drama.
Whateverhernameis has a freaky face. I think it's her mouth, it's huge. Besides that, whenever she shows up, something just screams "insincere" in her body language (props to Sakuishi for being able to illustrate that so subtly unlike the majority of other manga artists).

That we pause and think "hey, this might not be all there is to it, it can't be that obvious" says a lot about our faith in the story.

Charade

Whateverhernameis definitely felt suspicious, but I can't really put my finger on exactly why. Then again, her being automatically relegated to hell girl status doesn't help. I wouldn't be surprised if she is genuine but just not the right fit for Fushimi.

Edit: ^ now that you mention it, it must be her face/expressions.

scy

14-sai no Koi 01

Too much adorableness.

Need despair...

oboyoboyoboy

Whateverhernameis has a freaky face. I think it's her mouth, it's huge. Besides that, whenever she shows up, something just screams "insincere" in her body language (props to Sakuishi for being able to illustrate that so subtly unlike the majority of other manga artists).

That we pause and think "hey, this might not be all there is to it, it can't be that obvious" says a lot about our faith in the story.

Whateverhernameis definitely felt suspicious, but I can't really put my finger on exactly why. Then again, her being automatically relegated to hell girl status doesn't help. I wouldn't be surprised if she is genuine but just not the right fit for Fushimi.

Edit: ^ now that you mention it, it must be her face/expressions.

Haha, that's exactly it. Every time she appears, it's always with this nagging sense of "So ... what does she want from him? What's the angle?" She has that typical "salesman" look to her eyes/smile. I think some of it is just the expectation too. Like, it's sort of the build-up of that character type where you expect him to be led on. I was honestly surprised there wasn't a "Oh, this is my boyfriend" line dropped on some of the early outings.

That said, I wouldn't necessarily be surprised if she ends up being "heaven" but that he'd prefer "hell." Like, dealing with whatever is with Rin is worth it in the end compared to his current idea of a dream girl. Or, worse, the heaven/hell involves himself. The disease in his family has me a little worried about that route.

whatever, bird bro pls save us

Dresden

bokugirl - 10

best route

QiSUAqS.png

takeru x loki comes second.

shoujo manga - Shinkichi Katou

Katou really is one of the best artists in manga. And the one shot itself is short and sweet.

neoanarch

So very glad people are reading this. Harold is really writing an opus that showcases his talent and hardwork in more ways than one.

I could see heaven or hell playing out with either girl. I think the safe assumption is that Rin would be heaven. It could also be a double bluff and Rin is the hell option. My gut feelings is that the message at the end is that you are willing to put yourself through figurative hell of suffering for the one you love.

The most interesting but of the manga for me is Fushimi dealing with the fear of succumbing to the same disease that struck his mother and sister. On the other hand I don't know what to make of the supernatural bits. I hope they don't become a focus because a mangaka coping with a neuromuscular disease sounds way more interesting.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I had this horrible dream, where Sasuke got the Rinnegan.

Charade

The most interesting but of the manga for me is Fushimi dealing with the fear of succumbing to the same disease that struck his mother and sister. On the other hand I don't know what to make of the supernatural bits. I hope they don't become a focus because a mangaka coping with a neuromuscular disease sounds way more interesting.

That nightmare scene where he's struggling to draw with the disease was one of my favorite parts. You could feel his fear.

neoanarch

That nightmare scene where he's struggling to draw with the disease was one of my favorite parts. You could feel his fear.

Oh yeah definitely up there. I had a little bit of a cry the chapter his sister moves back into the family home. In fact I went back just now to look at the pages and I got teary eyed.

Quasar

I am reading. Don't think its really funny though.

So I haven't read Fairy Tail for a long long time.

Did I miss anything important aside from an extended naked Erza torture scene?
At this rate FT is gonna pull a wolf guy some day, seriously

So I haven't read Fairy Tail for a long long time.

Did I miss anything important aside from an extended naked Erza torture scene?
At this rate FT is gonna pull a wolf guy some day, seriously

While FT does borderline get dark I don't think they can match wolf guy with the gang rape and other shit.

Witchcraft Works 1

Didn't know this was a manga first. Catching up on it. Toriko is still in the backburner lol.

[The Day Before Summer volume 4]

A whole year I guess, that's the gap between the release of each volume in Japan, too :|
Also yes, Tetsuo is a fucking idiot.

He is the ever typical artist guy, it's almost a parody. With tendency to be lonely and depressed, with a strong need to express his art but suffering because he never will be good enough, adoring his art subjects but conflicted because he can't catch the super magical divine essence of them in paper, etc. So yeah, he is kind of a idiot.
About the cute girl, for him she is a kind of a sunflower, he is also obsessed with them, but in the end they are just art subjects.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Kunisaki izumo no Jijou 3

Wait, so I guess the first chapter I read was a one shot, and this is not a kabuki themed action manga about transforming kabuki super powers, but an actual slice of life story about kabuki actors competing by performing kabuki plays?

EVEN BETTER.

Jintor

Man something felt like it was missing and it just hit me that Beelzebub ended. ;_;

Will need to replace with a new series.

i just finished the dude helped by lucifer arc. how much more do I have to go?

i'll probably end up reading the stupid thing from the start again since i've forgotten so much of it anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom