• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigkrev

As I get older, i'm not sure if I hate WSJ covers because they have a billion things going on and give me a headache, or if I like them for the same reason

We have a complicated relationship

xPbrzeS.jpg

When is Toriko going to wear that coat :mad:

I thought maybe it was just a celebratory dress for the series return but they keep on showing it like it is the real deal

Whos the character next to Ichigo of the left? I saw he's in J stars victory vs as well

As I get older, i'm not sure if I hate WSJ covers because they have a billion things going on and give me a headache, or if I like them for the same reason

well they are advertising JSTAR Victory VS

of course most of the time they still have it clustered but at least this time there is a reason

Korosenai

One Piece

I can see Usopp beating Trebol, getting an actual wanted poster with his name and face on it, and a confession that he was Sogeking all along.

I also want to see another Dragon type situation like when Dragon saw Luffys poster, but with Yasopp seeing Usopps. Would be nice to see him finally acknowledge his son in the manga, since he still has no idea what his sons up to.

Another thing, seeing Usopp cut Trebol in half, yet knowing that Trebol is ok really makes me wish Usopp knew how to use haki. This is his first fight against a logia user one on one isn't it?

Lain

Ayako volume 2 [END] by Riyoko Ikeda/Etsuko Ikeda
ayako_02qsxl6.jpg

This was an unfinished story, basically. I don't remember/know if it was cancelled or what.
It helps that the stories are self contained, with a start and end, though they are all still linked to each other by way of returning characters and a whole central storyline about our protagonist Ayako.
What this all means is that while each side story has an end, Ayako's story doesn't and that burns me because I wanted to see a (happy) end to her tale.

As far as I'm concerned, this was a great read, mainly thanks to Ayako (I felt I could relate to her). The drama is exaggerated to high heavens and (almost) every other character is a piece of shit always out to con/do something mean to Ayako (though in the end she always ends up prevailing) but that's what made this read so interesting.
I wish there was a conclusion, but I'll take this for what it is, an over-dramatized story of mysteries, intrigues and a desperate search for acceptance and love which delivered on all points.

789shadow

Banned
One Piece

I can see Usopp beating Trebol, getting an actual wanted poster with his name and face on it, and a confession that he was Sogeking all along.

I also want to see another Dragon type situation like when Dragon saw Luffys poster, but with Yasopp seeing Usopps. Would be nice to see him finally acknowledge his son in the manga, since he still has no idea what his sons up to.

Another thing, seeing Usopp cut Trebol in half, yet knowing that Trebol is ok really makes me wish Usopp knew how to use haki. This is his first fight against a logia user one on one isn't it?
Trebol is Paramecia. Usopp didn't cut him in half.

One Piece
Dat Usop U-turn. Oh and is it me or does Usopp still remember Robin? He said we instead of I or is memory being foggy. Oh and poor Kyros.

Bleach
This new baddie has Robert's ability? What a rip off! Joking aside, Kenpachi is back!

Naruto
As sentimental as this was, I just wanna see the fight happen :I

Mado no Mukougawa 1

[wideface joke]

Never been a fan of Aoki Ume's original works, but this may be the one to change that. It's about a socially awkward highschool girl who can read people's minds by touching them, and unsurprisingly there's cuteness and blushing aplenty. Not entirely sure where she'll go with the premise, but it's interesting enough that I'll be keeping an eye on it to find out.

daveo42

Banned
Bleach

Hey look who decided to finally show up. Also cookie bones.

Naruto

I think we will be hitting backstory for characters every other week so we can feel bad about them dying. Seriously, all this backstory should have been better paced and not just covered because Guy is going to bite it failing to take down Madara.

One Piece

Usopp finally getting into the fight. I would have hoped we wouldn't need this after his 2 years of training, but Usopp going to continue to Usopp. After all this I'm hopeful he will be less cowardly in the face of opposition. He's one of the weaker crew members, but he could be so much stronger if he wasn't instantly afraid of anything or anyone dangerous.

Actual Usopp wanted poster would be fantastic.

One Piece

They really stepped up Usopp for this battle. He's not fighting a small subordinate, or any henchmen like usual. He's about to fight a big bad executive from someone else's group. Can't wait to see that fight. Usopp's fights are always the most entertaining.

Kurita

Actually that's why I love manga magazines covers.

survivor

Banned
I read Mother Sarah some years ago. It was always a slight disappointment, I hope for more from this series.

I think the writing isn't living up to whatever expectations I had before reading it considering it was by Katsuhiro Otomo, but the art is really carrying the manga and making it a good read. So basically, Otomo is a hack and Takumi Nagayasu should have collaborated with a better writer.

Bleach
Just a weird and fast paced chapter.
Isane talking about Yachiru 's ability being strange. Sadly. We barely get to see it.
Suddenly "imagination guy" shows up and start killing with...imagination
Turns Yachiru 's arms into cookies and Kenny shows up.(Why is he still wearing an eyepatch?)

Already saw some people discuss if it's the real Kenpachi..
Like. Either Yachiru imagined him back or he's a fake she somehow created.

Kreed

One Piece 741:

Really? I think if she was mocking them, she'd have some kind of more evil face or something, but it almost seemed like good natured pity. One Piece is usually transparent on the alignment of characters, so if she's making a grey face that might mean she's got something going on.

Yeah I meant pity more than mocking, but you could be right. It's so easy to miss things in One Piece when so much is going on. But then again Trebol made a similar (.....) face before he went off on the elves.

It's Kyros everyone. Stop reading pandas.

I didn't say anything in my first post but yeah this is getting on my nerves too. You'd think after all this time the pandas would improve a bit but when you're the fastest and everyone reads your stuff first who cares? Also for those reading Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin please make sure you read the non panda version of chapter 55 in addition to the pandas version.

scy

Naruto 668 - RIP Gai. I just hope he accomplishes something and doesn't die for nothing.

Bleach 572 - Kenpachi to the rescue? Man, who saw that coming. "Imagination" power seems more like a power of suggestion so far.

One Piece 741 - Usopp manning up and tragic flashback backstory time. Guess we'll see what happens ... in two weeks.

Toriko 270 - Well, nothing really happened.

Kreed

Guys, seriously, don't talk about scanlation groups and stuff in here. It's not the place. Thanks.

I thought translation group discussion was ok as long as we weren't linking to or discussing a scanlation website? Or did that change from OT4 back when you and Shouta first had a discussion on the problem? I don't post in this thread as often as I used to and I've noticed rules have been changing between OTs.

Naruto

RIP Gai

Bleach

Weird shikai, hax ability. People have suggested that Aizen´s bankai would make your nightmare real, but this as hax. Oh Yeah, Kenpachi´s back. I was hoping to see more Yachiru and her abilities.

one piece

Come on Usoppe.

Toriko

Lol.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Remember last week when people were angry Usopp was running?
Yeah, we told you he'd come back to save the Dwarves. Oda may have bouts of unpredictability, but this is still Shonen.

Kyros Timeline (so far):
At 15, he was a punk kid that ended up murdering some guys. King Riku convinces him to compete in the arena for his freedom. Kyros beasts the 100 fights needed, but still stays as he feels he's not wanted. He continues to dominate, getting people from all over the world to show up, eventually getting to 1000 matches. At 19, he begins to wonder what his legacy will be, what he will be remembered for.

After winning 3000 matches, Kyros gets a statue commemorated to him.
At some point, he married the King's daughter Scarlet, they had a daughter themselves (Rebecca), then Doflamingo invaded, Kyros got turned into a toy, managed to avoid the contract part, and spent the next 10 years raising Rebecca while planning a revolution to overthrow Doflamingo.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Naruto

The flame always burns brightest before it goes out. Godspeed Guy.

Toriko

Talking Nitro? Hmm.

Bleach

Kenpachi!

One Piece

Usopp is such a goober.

scy

Kyros Timeline (so far):
At 15, he was a punk kid that ended up murdering some guys. King Riku convinces him to compete in the arena for his freedom. Kyros beasts the 100 fights needed, but still stays as he feels he's not wanted. He continues to dominate, getting people from all over the world to show up, eventually getting to 1000 matches. At 19, he begins to wonder what his legacy will be, what he will be remembered for.

At some point, he married the King's daughter Scarlet, they had a daughter themselves (Rebecca), then Doflamingo invaded, Kyros got turned into a toy, managed to avoid the contract part, and spent the next 10 years raising Rebecca while planning a revolution to overthrow Doflamingo.

I think I'm okay with this.

Akito

Remember last week when people were angry Usopp was running?
Yeah, we told you he'd come back to save the Dwarves. Oda may have bouts of unpredictability, but this is still Shonen.

Kyros Timeline (so far):

A chapter was still wasted for that so yeah, the hate was not entirely unreasonable.

One Piece 741
Everyone believes in you Usopp! You are the hero that will save the kingdom! And then it just ends. Not a lot of progress but still a lot of built up.

Bleach 572
fRwCB53.jpg

Honestly though, it seems like a really OP ability like that Vanishing Guy. Though it has added sillyness because "cookie bones". His face reminds me of Pariston from HxH. And he's going to get chopped in half by Kenpachi to show how OP Kenpachi got.

Naruto 668
It's a Guy flashback. And we finally see his dad. And it seems that Guy couldn't do ninjutsu or genjutsu either when he was young. Unlike Lee, he was perfectly capable of using them but just sucked at using them. And then I am suddenly reminded of the Dying Will Bullet.

Bleach
Just a weird and fast paced chapter.
Isane talking about Yachiru 's ability being strange. Sadly. We barely get to see it.
Suddenly "imagination guy" shows up and start killing with...imagination
Turns Yachiru 's arms into cookies and Kenny shows up.(Why is he still wearing an eyepatch?)

Already saw some people discuss if it's the real Kenpachi..
Like. Either Yachiru imagined him back or he's a fake she somehow created.

Kenpachi is Yachirus Bankai and Yachiru is the real Kenpachi

kenpaception

ryan13ts

One Piece

Glad to see Usopp finally man up. I seriously wonder how he's going to pull this off against Trebol, who's obviously a Logia user after taking that attack that split him in half. If Usopp was able to awaken Haki mid-battle, that would be so amazing it wouldn't even be funny.

Oh, and these breaks are fucking killling me. We're barely even getting a month's worth before another break, not to mention all the other breaks due to WSJ not running at all just a while back. Oda, I love you to death and I don't want you to burn out from the insane pace mangaka's have to deal with, but damn, give us at least two months worth before another break. It's only because we love ya work dude ^-^

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
So basically Yachiru's "fight" was just fanservice to show us her shikai, not actually a relevant fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom