• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan13ts

So basically Yachiru's "fight" was just fanservice to show us her shikai, not actually a relevant fight.

Well at least we got to find out what it was, unlike the other 50 Vice-Lieutenants whose basic Shikai we'll never find out. Hell, we still don't know the Bankai of quite a few captains (past and present) who we've seen numerous times, and had plenty of opportunities to reveal their abilities.

I think Kubo didn't want to reveal their shit too early, but as the series progressed and these other character became less relevant and had less screen time, he lost most of his chances to reveal their abilities in a way that made sense. Just look at what's going on now; He just FINALLY revealed Yachiru's shikai but Insane is just sitting there looking stupid instead of busting out her Shikai too. If she doesn't do it now, I doubt she'll ever have any relevant opportunity to do it again. And there's nothing I hate more than not finding out what a characters ability is and being left to wonder forever, even with throwaway characters like Isane.

I seriously don't get Kubo when it comes to things like this. And don't even start me on Aizen and his bankai...

So basically Yachiru's "fight" was just fanservice to show us her shikai, not actually a relevant fight.

I didn't expect too much from V ,but to barely show Yachiru 's Shikai at all was just dissappointing.
Speaking of Yachiru's Shikai. Isane had a little rant about it. With the sword not changing.
It's either really special ,something wrong with it or it's not her true Shikai at all.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Well at least we got to find out what it was, unlike the other 50 Vice-Lieutenants whose basic Shikai we'll never find out. Hell, we still don't know the Bankai of quite a few captains (past and present) who we've seen numerous times, and had plenty of opportunities to reveal their abilities.

I think Kubo didn't want to reveal their shit too early, but as the series progressed and these other character became less relevant and had less screen time, he lost most of his chances to reveal their abilities in a way that made sense. Just look at what's going on now; He just FINALLY revealed Yachiru's shikai but Insane is just sitting there looking stupid instead of busting out her Shikai too. If she doesn't do it now, I doubt she'll ever have any relevant opportunity to do it again. And there's nothing I hate more than not finding out what a characters ability is and being left to wonder forever, even with throwaway characters like Isane.

I seriously don't get Kubo when it comes to things like this. And don't even start me on Aizen and his bankai...

It was still at least pretty badass that that other dude just killed the two jobber captains in their sleep. I like how there's a bunch of Lieutenants who have Bankai despite us being told its insanely rare and you instantly get promoted to Captain if you have one. I guess there's just as many open spots now as there are people with Bankai.

Well, the thing about Isane's shikai is that she's in the Hanatarou division. It probably doesn't do anything helpful.

scy

It was still at least pretty badass that that other dude just killed the two jobber captains in their sleep. I like how there's a bunch of Lieutenants who have Bankai despite us being told its insanely rare and you instantly get promoted to Captain if you have one. I guess there's just as many open spots now as there are people with Bankai.

Though, I don't think the two there are dead, just another trick to his power. Then again, final arc and all so I guess a bunch of these useless characters can be used as actual fodder.

And, yeah, "lol bankais" everywhere, though we're getting to the point that it can just be a new batch to replace the old captains.

Well, the thing about Isane's shikai is that she's in the Hanatarou division. It probably doesn't do anything helpful.

The easiest way to cop-out having to do anything: Make them useless from the start. Though, she may have some use for healing here when all is said and done.

dramatis

I thought translation group discussion was ok as long as we weren't linking to or discussing a scanlation website? Or did that change from OT4 back when you and Shouta first had a discussion on the problem? I don't post in this thread as often as I used to and I've noticed rules have been changing between OTs.
From when I started doing the OTs (since 6?), there's only been 2 major changes to the rules, and one is for spoiler policy, the other is the addition of manga reading on tablets since I figured that's a clear place to put it and in the end, nobody reads the rules anyway.... In the duckroll quote under the scanlation rule, I think he's quite clear that topics of scanlation are not to be discussed in manga discussion thread.

If the rule is not clear to you, should it be clarified?

Kreed

From when I started doing the OTs (since 6?), there's only been 2 major changes to the rules, and one is for spoiler policy, the other is the addition of manga reading on tablets since I figured that's a clear place to put it and in the end, nobody reads the rules anyway.... In the duckroll quote under the scanlation rule, I think he's quite clear that topics of scanlation are not to be discussed in manga discussion thread.

If the rule is not clear to you, should it be clarified?

I was part of the original discussion where that quote originated. And back then shouta and duckroll said in addition to the quote that is in the OT that it was ok to discuss groups as long as we weren't discussing sites or linking to sites since we had thread members back then who were part of such groups (Ignis) and would give us updates/info on what their groups were up to. Since then I have regularly referenced different groups in my posts with no issue when I have participated in this thread but as I said, times have changed and that discussion was multiple OTs ago so if the rule changed I won't reference the groups anymore.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Though, I don't think the two there are dead, just another trick to his power. Then again, final arc and all so I guess a bunch of these useless characters can be used as actual fodder.

And, yeah, "lol bankais" everywhere, though we're getting to the point that it can just be a new batch to replace the old captains.

The easiest way to cop-out having to do anything: Make them useless from the start. Though, she may have some use for healing here when all is said and done.

Fodder doesn't even describe it. Those two "Captains" jobbed to Mask in the same chapter.

xPbrzeS.jpg

When is Toriko going to wear that coat :mad:

I thought maybe it was just a celebratory dress for the series return but they keep on showing it like it is the real deal

Kind of wanted Jet Black Wing to be in for Saiki Kusuo.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
Bleach

Pretty sure Kensei and Rose aint dead. This guy can't suggest anything to them, they can't hear him. He CAN suggest things to Isane, though. "They're dead" makes her check to see if they are, and she perceives them as dead cause that's what he made her perceive.

Assuming the power is indeed based upon hearing and suggestion, at least. Maybe it's not, since Yachiru's arm broke before he actually said anything. But I still think them being "dead" is part of something imagined, and will be undone once he's iced.

One Piece

Usopp will probably make out like he's gonna fight Trebol, but right when he's about to be curbstomped it'll be revealed that his target was Sugar all along. He has no chance of beating Trebol, the "fight" will end up being a farce to hit that target.

Why? The chapters that were done and the various select translations every now and then for more random occasional events some fans do for it are great.

I guess I just don't see that many fans of it or that much going on about it. I guess with translations of it dead in the water is probably why I just didn't think it was still running, lol.

Post Captain of the last thread. scy is in the middle of demoting you to Yamcha.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The theory on the web for Usopp's lack of bravery from last week's chapter of OP is likely due to Robin turning into a toy

Since Usopp gained his true form of courage (Soge King) in the Enies Lobby Arc, having Robin turn into a toy erases his first true discovery of being brave

Hence why this Chapter Usopp had to reassure himself of his courage anew not as Soge King but as himself

....makes sense for me

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The theory on the web for Usopp's lack of bravery from last week's chapter of OP is likely due to Robin turning into a toy

Since Usopp gained his true form of courage (Soge King) in the Enies Lobby Arc, having Robin turn into a toy erases his first true discovery of being brave

Hence why this Chapter Usopp had to reassure himself of his courage anew not as Soge King but as himself

....makes sense for me

Holy shit, that actually makes perfect sense.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.

....makes sense for me

That does make a lot of sense.

Damn it, I want the new chapter already. Stupid two weeks...

upandaway

....makes sense for me
Didn't it explain that people who become toys get "replaced" in the memories of the others to explain inconsistencies? Like if you ask him about Enies Lobby right now he'd say "yeah when we saved Franky" or something

If I remember that right then this is just Usopp being, y'know.

Sayonara, Itoshi no My Friend 5

Lovely v2 cover. As they say, let bygones be bygones. With a bit of help from a friend they got together but still didnt truly admit their feelings after that kiss. I was hoping for a bit more reconciliation and a confession to be made but maybe another day. Going over to the house my perhaps suggest that the time may draw near for it, maybe pretend drunk stuff.

Marche90

Bleach

Ooooh! Kenpachi Time! The newest chapter can't come soon enough. If shonen mangas have teached me something, even if the newest bad guy can imagine all kinds of shit, Kenpachi will just shrug it off, even writing him off existance, a-la Jack Rackan and Kamina.

Naruto

*sob* GUY!!

I just hope that Kishimoto doesn't throw us another Pain-like character that can revive dead characters. Keep them like that to mantain some sense of loss.

just as an aside, in case anyone was interested the new Nisekoi episode was the hot springs episode, reaffirming Chitoge as best girl and Kyoko as second best girl.

Didn't it explain that people who become toys get "replaced" in the memories of the others to explain inconsistencies? Like if you ask him about Enies Lobby right now he'd say "yeah when we saved Franky" or something

If I remember that right then this is just Usopp being, y'know.

I don't think that is the case.... since I wouldn't know how that would work with Rebecca and the Toy Soldier

Similarly Koala sent one of her subordinates to investigate the coliseum but when he was turned into a toy and sent to the factory she completely forgot about the assignment rather then believing she sent someone else

Onani Master Kurosawa

Ended up rereading this last night + the sequel light novel and man, it's still awesome. Everything from that page to when he admits to his crimes were still really hard to read, even though I knew the eventual outcome. It really is well written, even when you question why the school takes no disciplinary action against a kid who jacked off over his peers' things. But that's pretty much irrelevant to the point of the story, so I'll let it slide.

Also Sugawa rules.

789shadow

Banned
I had been thinking that even Usopp wouldn't have cut and run like that if Robin were still there. But since she got turned into a toy, at the very least he thought he was basically alone down there. And if he actually forgot all about Enies Lobby and Sogeking, damn.

just as an aside, in case anyone was interested the new Nisekoi episode was the hot springs episode, reaffirming Chitoge as best girl and Kyoko as second best girl.

Looking forward to going home and watching it. Who knows this might change my rankings that I'm sure everyone is just waiting for to see.

Vito

Banned
This looks interesting: Niko Tama by Peco Watanabe, serialized in Morning Two. In Japan the series is complete, spanning 5 volumes. Also dat chapter 1 cliffhanger :(

Atsuko (Ah-chan) and Kouhei (Kouhei) are both 29 years old and soon to bid farewell to their adolescence. Both think 29 is a good age to be at, but realize that it doesn't make them feel anymore grown up; both get along, but none actually want to be the first to take the plunge. After nine years of dating and living together for five, Atsuko and Kouhei are prompted to evaluate the nagging questions regarding their work, life, and the prospect of having children: What will we do? What will happen to us?

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I guess it's supposed to mean, "hey, stay with me forever"? But you don't need a marriage license to get that point across. That has a whole different connotation

The Wife-to-Be (same author as the last one)
Maybe the author just has an obsession with marriage licenses and failed love between girls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom