• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way Japan is handling this Crunchyroll thing is pretty assbackwards from what I hear. The fact that Arpeggio is getting TWO separate translations in English is kinda moronic and a waste, don't you think?
That means it was double licensed brah.

Anyways, ordered that ballet manga from Kinokuniya along with Hyoukyuuhime and Mongrel.

wonzo

Banned
The way Japan is handling this Crunchyroll thing is pretty assbackwards from what I hear. The fact that Arpeggio is getting TWO separate translations in English is kinda moronic and a waste, don't you think?
Well yeah but that's thanks to the inability of Japanese publishers to grasp online distribution.

Nordicus

Real Purple 12

Huh, Hye Won actually went to meet up with Min Hyuk instead of wallowing in her sadness, thanks to Min Hyuk's sweet phone call. Chances of a happy ending increased, though I'm not dropping my guard.

yqyKWtq.jpg

I do really like how this manhwa shows the charm of the male love interest in such a reserved manner compared to even a lot of josei. At first, he as her new step brother notices the passive aggression she gets from her new family (and old) and tries to comfort her. Nothing big, just small things that a good brother would do. Then he catches up on the fact that she's always at least a tiny bit depressed and love simply happens to bloom out of his desire to protect her and keep her happy.

Instead of being a flashy prince of sorts or a brooding "dark" character, he's just a warm and fuzzy individual, really. A bit depressed himself perhaps, might be looking for comfort from Hye Won almost as much as he's giving, but he isn't exactly crippled by it.

Lain

I feel that it's more likely that one entity bought the license for physical releases and the other bought the license for digital releases and they decided against working together to release the same product, so there are two different products.

Vito

Banned
I feel that it's more likely that one entity bought the license for physical releases and the other bought the license for digital releases and they decided against working together to release the same product, so there are two different products.

That would be the most likely case, from the looks of things Seven Seas wasn't aware of that and I think dumb stunts like that are damaging to the industry.

But I'd prefer to see Crunchyroll as a supplement to the paperback/volume industry to boost sales instead of a replacement, but CR likely has their own agenda and growth plans.

Where I see CR as being useful as a back catalog publisher is picking up longer running series like Chihayafuru that are unlikely to see print due to its length, Space Brothers was a good example.

scy

Maga-Tsuki 34 - So ... did we forget the drama a few chapters ago with the confessions and Izuna stealing his soul? Seems like it.

Also, that's a guy? how.

Charade

Fushigi na Shounen 6-11

This is the best thing I've read in a while. Ch. 9 was amazing in particular. Definitely gonna do a proper write-up of this when I finish.

Lain

xxxHolic Rei announced for October over here, and Kozue Hazuki's Girl's Drops volume was shown. Pretty great day today despite how it started.

-

Black Rock Shooter Innocent Soul volume 1-2
IHC.jpg
HHC.jpg

Let me preface this post by saying that I consider the BRS TV anime great (I have no shame, or very little).
These 2 volumes were pretty great. Lots of sadness in them, given how suffering seems to be a big part of every Yodomi they meet (well duh, they're dead people with regrets and shit) but I felt everything was handled well, both the pieces that try to tug at my heart's strings as well as the ones that try to creep me out. The yuri subtext (subtext? not so much subtext, when there is a lesbian in volume 2 and Dead wants to eat Rock in every sense of the word) is everywhere and the art is really nice to look at.
I'm really curious about volume 3 and how the story ends, but I'll keep my curiosity in check and refrain from going to peek at the scanlation while waiting to get it.

jman2050

TWGOK 263

I expect this to become a whole new arc, not just one chapter. Oh god, are we going to get past this child phase!

I mean, I understand the problems people have with the whole child phase and everything, but it's also pretty much the first time in the series Keima has had an actual, real character arc so I enjoyed it just for that alone.

Also Kaori but that goes with saying.

Lain

As if getting an announcement for PIL before wasn't enough, now even Giacomo Foscari got announced over here.
After Thermae Romae I'm ready to say I'm a fan of Mari Yamazaki so I'll be counting the days for their releases.

Konya, Mister de 3
BiyL0UDCUAEQMzX.png

Mega is the more reasonable person in the story and thought he did confess and get sometime with Master it had to happen at the worst time for Yuudai. It was pretty sad and crying, and then seeing that it seemed like Yuudai felt hurt it was hard to figure out who was to blame. If only master had only spent sometime to tell mega about the relationship behind the scenes then pain and hurt could have been avoided :(

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, I understand the problems people have with the whole child phase and everything, but it's also pretty much the first time in the series Keima has had an actual, real character arc so I enjoyed it just for that alone.

I mean, him giving up was pretty much the best part of the arc. That and Tenri being a bad ass. I can't completely hate the childhood phase either. The biggest problem I have is that it was dragged out too long with us not knowing the reason for it.

scy

My problem is the length, really. It's been going for quite some time.

As a whole, the arc is fine. Like, I think reading the whole thing in one sitting would be quite a good arc.

Edit:

Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane 17 - And then there were none.

RIP everyone. I hope you have better luck in the next world.

It just took way too long. I probably wouldn't mind it that much if I wasn't following this weekly.

It's pretty much the same problem I have with One Piece's current arc. Wouldn't be bad if I was reading all at once but weekly is pretty much a pain.

The Heroic Legend of Arslan 8 & 9

Thanks to crunchyroll for having the two chapters, didnt know we were actually that far behind. The whole underground portion was surprising since I thought it was the queen, and wouldnt have been shocked if she was off'd. Above ground stuff was just depressing, all those swords, surely the violence could be toned down.

Gohan Shiyo! 1-11 (END)
Slice of life cook 'em up series about a bunch of 6th graders living in a school dorm. Judging from the last chapters, it likely came to a premature end of some kind, which is a shame because it was actually pretty enjoyable despite its food obsession. Not least because of the darker elements of the story that occasionally seeped through its cheerful exterior.

scy

Gohan Shiyo! 1-11 (END)

Slice of life cook 'em up series about a bunch of 6th graders living in a school dorm. Judging from the last chapters, it likely came to a premature end of some kind, which is a shame because it was actually pretty enjoyable despite its food obsession. Not least because of the darker elements of the story that occasionally seeped through its cheerful exterior.

welp, that's suddenly darker.

But that's what I want :(

I am honestly surprised it didn't go that route. Meandering around and burning time does seem like a favorite past time for the series.

And hell, I also thought that was the whole point of going back in time so do color me surprised they just took care of that in one chapter. :E

Gohan Shiyo! 1-11 (END)

Oh...ohhhh.

bigkrev

Gohan Shiyo! 1-11 (END)

Not clicking that because I want to read this

Charade

Fushigi na Shounen

The manga is composed of various episodes linked together by the mysterious boy with no particular name. The boy travels to different times and places, trading with different people, letting them see a glimpse of their future or past, or the secrets of others, and bets to see if they can change their fate.

The "mysterious boy" is definitely the highlight of the manga. Each of the humans he interacts with are fascinating in their own way, with different circumstances, fears, and ambitions. But it’s the boy’s progression that’s most compelling, which may sound strange considering his godlike status. Some chapters he learns more than others, but I’ve found my favorites to be the ones where he does.

Each of the stories are also amazing in their own right. Some resonated more, my favorites being the Socrates, the Antarctic expedition, and the travelling storyteller chapters. One story is also an obvious nod to the Count of Monte Cristo. There’s enough going on here that I think most people would be able to find at least one to really connect to.

The art is unique and generally nice to look at. Some panels/pages are sketchier than others, but overall it’s very fitting. This is the first I’ve read of Yamashita Kazumi, I wish more of her works (or any it seems) were translated if this is anything to go by.

So if any of this sounded interesting I highly recommend you check it out if you haven’t. Thanks to neoanarch for the heads-up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom