• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

upandaway

Oooooh

Nep Ace posted some stuff about the re-translation of One Piece

I've come to realize there were quite a few things about the original work that had been either mistranslated or overlooked by fan-translations in both the anime and manga.
One example of this would be is Tashigi's lines in p116 of this volume [24], where she says the World Goverment revokes Crocodile's shichibukai title as well as the special permit of "Lawful Seizure of Enemy Assets" which was granted to him. This is the special law allowing shichibukai to keep plunder taken from enemy pirates or enemy states (those fighting against the WG, presumably) that Oda mentioned allllll the way back in v8 p131. In the horribad manga scans that we've had to deal with until now, the "Lawful Seizure of Enemy Assets" was entirely omitted, and in the [y'know which one]-fansubs anime, it was mistranslated as a law that allows the government to revoke his title. I'm not sure how Viz did it, but considering that they are a professional company, I can only hope that they did translate it correctly.

Even if it's a pretty small detail, I have to wonder just how many there are of them. It's a bit uncomfortable.
Does anyone know how Funimation did it?

iavi

But we mention that fact all the time!

Well at least you finally wised up and at least you picked a good timing to catch up, so it's all good.

I think part of it were the lewd food reactions at the start when they were more common and the fact that the illustrator is basically a hentai artist. But I totally agree, it's pretty much the standard food battle manga type thing.

And, now, I'm caught up. All that's there went waaaaaaay too fast :''')

Wiseblade

Oooooh

Nep Ace posted some stuff about the re-translation of One Piece

Even if it's a pretty small detail, I have to wonder just how many there are of them. It's a bit uncomfortable.
Are those volume numbers correct? I'm looking through mine and those volumes don't even cover the right arcs.

Retcon: Yeah, Alabasta ends in volume 23. Tashigi refers to it as "your license to seize enemy ships".

Vito

Banned

You sound kinda naive, I'm pretty sure the motivations behind illegally posted unofficial translations are not purely out of love for the series. Considering how one of the sites randomly picks extra titles, their motivations might be financial as well, meaning they need to beat their competitors. Why? Because by now it's fairly obvious that fans of the big 3 WSJ manga want their shit NOW.

Of course there's no guarantee the official translations are better, but in this case they're very likely to be. That said I'm pretty sure there's tons of mistranslated stuff out there masked by readable English.

MangaGaf -> Manga -> Funimation -> ???

Cerity

Amari Mawari ch 1 - 5
J1MOvSK.png

This could turn into something great.

e: Yeah, this is definitely one of the best things I've read in awhile.

Marche90

"Again will finish on April 9 in Shonen Magazine no. 19. The twelfth and final volume will be released on May 16"

Mixed feelings about this. I like the series and if things are left as-is, most likely we'll have a rushed ending. On the other hand, one manga less from my queue.

... The bad points overpowered the good ones :( I'll miss it.

upandaway

In volume 8, Viz used: "The government allows [The Seven Warlords] to raid the seas in return for a cut of their haul. "

For the most part, viz get things right. It's just really annoying when they do screw up a translation.
Nice to know that Viz did that right. He did say he has no clue about the official translation when he said that, he only referred to other fan stuff, which is still the only thing available to a lot of people (cough cough). Then again once in a while someone gets angry at Stephen in here too so recently y'know.

Vito

Banned
Mixed feelings about this. I like the series and if things are left as-is, most likely we'll have a rushed ending. On the other hand, one manga less from my queue.

Kinda odd though, cause I don't think it sells that poorly? At least I remember it ranking on Oricon.

Quasar

^Yup. Looking forward to seeing his reaction from that chapter.
y'all know which one

Aunt Tits 118

Hmmm... I think we can all predict how this will end, and tbh, I don't feel like it will take a lot of time. At least that's kind of a good thing with this one, seeing as how it HAS SO VERY FEW PAGES!

That chapter was pretty bad, even for this. Glad it was so brief and skippable. As for it ending...I've long expected him to hook up with his aunt. But they probably aren't willing to end on that.

wonzo

Banned
Kinda odd though, cause I don't think it sells that poorly? At least I remember it ranking on Oricon.
Well, it's kinda going nowhere where the translations currently are at so I can definitely see the author wrapping things up on their own accord.

wonzo

Banned
Yuri Mekuru Hibi 11

destroyed
deadmanny.png

aunt tits 118

I'm still kinda amazed she hasn't found an apprentice to help with this masterpiece yet. :(

I'm afraid it never got any better. It's a mess, really. And I'm not sure how she could come up with a decent ending in just a few episodes either.
Ugh, that sounds awful.

Lain

I just ate the wasabi kitkat. It was a mistake.
I blame you, Akito.

why.jpg

Whenever wasabi is mentioned, I think Jean Reno.

Some more useless info about Italian manga status:
Crows, Destroy & Revolution, Vanilla Fiction, Itsuka Tenma No Kuro Usagi, Yamikin Ushijima-kun, Omamori Himari got announced. More Attack on Titan stuff coming too, with Inside and Outside to be released starting from August and Before the Fall in December.
Too bad no one has announced Soma or One Punch Man yet.

Jintor

soul eater vol 10

Holy shit! This is way more interesting than bones eaters
' crazy 'kid thinks maybe we're evil' crack arc

dramatis

Hime-dol!! 1-16 (END)

Idols and shit. Marginally better than I expected. Probably enjoyed it more than any WSJ series I've tried reading in the last few years that doesn't feature keyblades (not that there's much competition). Even though the ending came more prematurely than a harem MC on his wedding night*, it didn't feel particularly unnatural / rushed, so I wasn't left with my usual axe to grind against... the axe.
Check out the last few posts before mine, looks like there's something you should be reading—!

Soma 62

The winner is pretty clear. There is no chance that the power of machinery will enable one to cook a better dish than one cooked from the power of the soul and tradition with the customers feeling in mind. Thankfully this means one obstacle out of the way fast for a true match between key characters that we need. Hyped for the future potential.

kasane

Soma 62

The winner is pretty clear. There is no chance that the power of machinery will enable one to cook a better dish than one cooked from the power of the soul and tradition with the customers feeling in mind. Thankfully this means one obstacle out of the way fast for a true match between key characters that we need. Hyped for the future potential.

science mother fucker

on a serious note i agree

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Soma 62

You obviously haven't been watching Masterchef.

edit: though come to think of it most of the contestants fuck up by trying to do the more sciency stuff.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Soma 62

I like how Soma is a nobody to these higher ups. Once they find out who his dad is what a glorious chapter that will be.

Soma 62

This manga is incredible. Best and only shonen worth considering.

Alice I'm so sorry you're in the same manga as Erina because you would be best girl in any other manga. Same with Tadokoro. But once Erina comes into it, there'll be no stopping her rise to the position of Bestest Girl.

But seriously that was hype as fuck this battle is going to be intense.

kasane

Soma 62

Alice I'm so sorry you're in the same manga as Erina because you would be best girl in any other manga. Same with Tadokoro. But once Erina comes into it, there'll be no stopping her rise to the position of Bestest Girl.

you're now on my inferior tastes list

alice is the best girl all the way

erishit

diaspora

Soma 62

muh D-Frag... =P

Soma

lol Soma giving down the smack down to Erina about her attitude

he is completely straight to the point

Also the first match up is soooooo hype

My girl ALICE VS SOMA with the BADASS Grandpa judging

damn!

Edit: Man I am reading this chapter again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom