• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Catching up:

One Punch Man

So good.

HSDK

Why am I not surprised?

Food Smut

HYPE HYPE HYPE. Time for Soma to add another horse to the stable.

Aunt Tits

Slob her down!

Kingdom raw

I have checked Kingdom raws and got caught up to current chapter, and oh boy, it´s amazing.

Naruto

When Gai´s dad tells him that he does not know ninjutsu, that is not true. At the very lest Gai knows the summoning jutsu.

I am tempted to start reading Soma. A manga about cooking seems very interesting and very different from what i read.

Itoshi no Karin 10

nDOMhIF.png

/dead in adorableness

scy

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous 3 - So many powers introduced...

Man, I really hope Saki doesn't get murdered off at some point.

Sentou Hakai Gakuen Dangerous 03

All these powers with such interesting names. Looking forward to seeing them get used.

Saki is probably a walking death flag though.

scy

Itoshi no Karin 11 - sfdikhjfkshjfksjhksfjhkrjhsfrjkhsfjklh;jfsklh

That's essentially my reaction to that cliffhanger.

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

Code:Breaker 230 + extra [END]

Fantastic manga that I will always miss. The morality presented in the series as well as the various abilities, mindblowing plot twists, and the close friendship by the cast made it one of the better shonen action mangas outside of a jump comics manga. Particularly was most impressed with Fujiwara's performance throughout the series as he will be one of the best antagonists in the medium. Great conclusion.

Itoshi no Karin 11

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa fuckfuckfuckfuckfuck why would you end it there -_-

how am I supposed to wait ages for this!?

gaaaaaaaaawwwhhhhhhhshsjf;lmsvlnslvnslknvlkns;ldkvnslvk

Black Yome ni Yoroshiku! 1

Cops a feel on his naked, almost unconscious, probably yandere, self proclaimed, shinigami wife before abandoning her on the road and running away from the police.

Proceeds to have absolutely no shame over ogling his F cup sized childhood friend.

I'm already like this MC.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm getting burned out by the never ending weekly series and novelty stories. Can we have another poll or recommendation thread (similar to flawfuls or bjorks) that adds the best manga from the last three years or so?
Take a look at the recommendations lists that dramatis painstakingly compiles for every OT (it's near the OP). It's a bit big but if you mentioned the flawfuls thread, you might not mind.

If you want something more concentrated, just give us something some tags and we'll recommend on the spot.

dramatis's OP recommendations is exactly the type of weekly and novelty series that I'm tired of. I'm not even keeping up with OP anymore :|

Vito

Banned
Ballroom e Youkoso chapter 1 (2nd half)

God, I forgot this was being worked on, whenever I saw the covers and bits of art it look really cool. I'll have to flip through more current chapters...

Based on current data, 142 days, give or take until next translated chapter? Or take they word for it that we'll see volume 1 done this year. orz

LeleSocho

Banned
Shokugeki no Soma 62
Wow this is actually more exciting than most fighting manga.

Mob Psycho 100 - 57
The most powerful farmer ever.

ryan13ts

So I was bored and started reading through some old chapters of One Piece. Since I've started reading it on a weekly base for almost 10+ years, I forget how many insane mysteries in the storyline there are that probably won't be answered for another 20 years. My most wanted answers would probably be

3. What is the Will of D?
2. What happened in the Void History?
1. What the fuck are Devil Fruits exactly?
+Bonus question: How the FUCK does an "object" eat a Devil Fruit exactly? (Probably my most "how the hell does that work?" question)

Am I missing any that anyone else is wondered about? (And will hopefully be answered within the next century)

Destroyed Century JOXER 03

So the main character is like a dog.

Billion Dogs 15

Wonder how he's going to get out of this one.

Spoof on Titan 15

Big Bro takes care of everything.

NadeNadeShikoShiko 15

Licking the face to show affection.

District Hakkenshi [code:T-8] 15

I guess that fox is how he'll become his namesake.

ARAIDOKI 15

The angel drowns again.

Can't Ride A Bicycle! 16

A bath episode where they focused on the guy's bodies.

Too Much Booty 04

A pair of boobs are blindfolds.

High School Ninja Girl, Otonashi-san 15

Ninja continues to reign supreme in the cooking club by not cooking.

In a Heartbeat 14

These chapters shouldn't be so short.

Logick 12

mmm, father issues

Girl and Car on the Beat 12

A car saving a boy's life. How original.

Bushido Academy 02

Of course, clothes slashing is a big part of this. Cause girls with swords is the only option to go.

Student Council ~ Total Takeover! 03

More table tennis than student government.

ryan13ts

I'm pretty sure the answer to that one has something to do with Vegapunk, who also has yet to really be revealed.

I'm hoping we get an official reveal on him within the next arc or two, he's probably the most central figure in the background of the OP world that hasn't been properly shown yet.

Then again, Oda might pull a cocktease and still reveal nothing related to DF's even if he shows up. As far as objects eating DF's go, people that aren't even directly related to the government seem to have these "objects" (Like Mr. 4) so there has to be some common knowledge of how the processes works.

Hanabatake to Wakarebanashi 3

Our Love was a fantastic and emotional read from start to finish. Though it started off on shaky ground with Takuya and Yuuji being unsure of things due to a third party, Aki being in the way, things took off in chapter too through the teary eyed confession and now with one of my favorite series plot prompts being given a full chapters worth of focus. Friends in love reached new heights when Takuya fell sick and then needed a friendly visit for them to at least have a shoujo manga moment as they joked. It was sweet and really touching and kind of moving. I could wholly imagine how much time both wanted to spend more with each other. I just hope the extra potential has a return to them, maybe?

Watashi no Messiah 1-end

Meh.

At the very least, Minazuki's art got A LOT better after this. Not only does Sora no Otoshimono look much better, but it's a hell of a lot easier to tell what's going on compared to this.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You know, in Shokugeki, it seems like it would be bad for her reputation for Erina to keep being insistent Soma sucks at cooking given that literally nobody shares that opinion.

Wonder what love pang moments mangagaf holds dear.

Like the face those girls make when they stare love-struckenly but with a bit of pain and all that. Example being Takao face when being jealous of Roka princess carry.

You know, in Shokugeki, it seems like it would be bad for her reputation for Erina to keep being insistent Soma sucks at cooking given that literally nobody shares that opinion.

I think the difference is that only a small group of people know that Soma is a great cook. Yes, his name is getting out there but he's still basically known as the transfer student with no credits behind his name as shown in the last chapter.

I don't think Erina is also running around talking about Soma all the time cause that means she's thinking of him and no real tsundere would ever admit to that.

scy

Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane 19 -

She's certainly becoming ... something. They're corrupting her
for the better

Like the face those girls make when they stare love-struckenly but with a bit of pain and all that. Example being Takao face when being jealous of Roka princess carry.

All of them. wistful looks oh god

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think the difference is that only a small group of people know that Soma is a great cook. Yes, his name is getting out there but he's still basically known as the transfer student with no credits behind his name as shown in the last chapter.

I don't think Erina is also running around talking about Soma all the time cause that means she's thinking of him and no real tsundere would ever admit to that.

She told entire Elite Ten and her Grandfather that he was terrible though. I suppose its possible they're genre savvy and just know she's a tsundere with a crush; Isshiki keeps bagging on her since he can tell.

The few instances I've seen you guys go on about Shougeki no Soma in here had me thinking it was smut nonsense... lawd, that's anything but the case. It's like "Bambino" with its focus on ethic and method, with a dash of "Kami no Shizuku" in its harping on elegance (and hyper-active reaction panels lol); all of that with a dash of hells-kitchen for the shonen battle flair.

I fucking love it.

The only thing that turns me off to Soma is the smut bullshit. Literally everything else about it is amazing IMO, and that makes me sad.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
dramatis's OP recommendations is exactly the type of weekly and novelty series that I'm tired of. I'm not even keeping up with OP anymore :|
Well, what do you mean by "weekly" and "novelty"? When I hear that, I think of the shonen staples and slice of life series. Judging by what little you've said, I think you're looking for things that are either A) already completed B) have meaningful growth or character development on a regular basis.

With that said, if you don't mind ongoing manga, try Spirit Circle (battles and supernatural), Koe no Katachi (drama), or Shougeki no Soma (food battles and comedy). For finished ones, try Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer or Full Metal Alchemist (as if you haven't read/watched it already). Another good completed one that I haven't read is Oyasumi Punpun, which is depressing as fuck apparently.

So it has to be painful? Does it count if it's not romantic love? If so, this is my pick:

He got banned for this, huh.
I guess it wasn't the most tactful way of saying One Piece sucks...
which it totally does

Kieli

Tadokoro soothes your heart and mind. She'd make the perfect waifu and mother for your kids.

Erina was custom-made to raise your blood-pressure and drive you nuts. She's the worst kind of tsundere. I'm convinced anyone who likes her is the highest-level of masochist.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Erina has absolutely nothing redeeming her yet. She actively tries to hinder Soma not for any fault of his own, but because he apparently has no place in her worldview. All she has going for her is the "secretly does normal girl things" trope. That's it.

Tadokoro on the other hand has grown so much over the course of the manga. From a fringe member of the school a grade away from expulsion to one of the top contenders of their year. She obviously has the "healing" trope going for her, but she works hard and won't give up anymore without a fight. She's endearing in every possible way.

scy

Nana to Kaoru Arashi 43 - Goddamn. Last chapter and this are so much payoff. Just ... so much. I'm going to shed a tear.

Erina was custom-made to raise your blood-pressure and drive you nuts. She's the worst kind of tsundere. I'm convinced anyone who likes her is the highest-level of masochist.

Yeah, probably.

To be serious, my preference of Erina at this point is design-wise. Story-wise, Tadokoro is a relevant member of the cast and has actually , y'know, grown. She makes the most sense, plot-wise, at this point. Erina is basically just ... around. And that's not even really true.

Edit:

So it has to be painful? Does it count if it's not romantic love? If so, this is my pick:

Now I'm going to have to reread this. You monster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom