• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erigu

Ugh, that sounds awful.
Not necessarily awful, just... not interesting. Like, I don't remember when I last gave a fuck.
And you can tell the author is trying to find something that works... but nope. "Maybe if I change my approach... We could get back to this, or... Oh, god, this just made things worse, didn't it? Okay, how about this, then?" Like clumsy CPR on a corpse.

scy

Soma 62 - Mega hype chapter. Interested to see what molecular gastronomy tricks are pulled in for this. Better not be the standard fare ones ;__;

Edit: and guys, Erina > all. duh.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Well if we're arguing who's going to be with soma it's definitely erina.

But if we're talking about who is actually the best girl it's obviously hinako.

scy

oh you

Jitsu wa Watashi wa 17 - TITLE PAGE SHOWED SWIMSUITS I WAS ROBBED.

1SbfI6q.png

Well, that was worth it too I guess. Guess they'll eventually figure out each other's secrets.

Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! 12.5 - I eagerly await the day that she learns that that's her brother.

scy

Rin 16 - First half of this chapter I was wondering if it would ever say anything worthwhile.

And then it did. Well, expanded more on the heaven / hell thing with one side his muse waits and the other will be a grim reaper. Though, I don't think it ever notes which is heaven and which is hell, though I guess the logical assumption is there. Still, would be a pretty common "trick" that way~

Curious as to what Rin saw in his manga. Not sure what to read into that look of hers. And Honda asking him out on a proper date makes me think that maaaaybe I should rethink my stance on her. A little. Maybe.

hobz360

Kingdom

Was not expecting them to show up like that. Fuking awesome, had me all smiling and shit. This manga deserves more readers, and a better anime mayne!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Green tea kitkats are the bomb tho

Rin 16
I'm sick of that editor forcing him to make his manga erotic, but I think that's the point. I thought there would be more to the implied relationship than Rin just being his muse, but who knows what that will really entail. Also nice name drop of the band, I'm always kind of surprised by this author's musical taste.

I wonder about the depiction of ugliness in this manga. I always feel that there's an undercurrent of "the adult world is ugly" when he's out to these bars and clubs. Not to mention that all of the characters look ugly besides a few like Rin and the fortune teller. Or how the images of people he admires are broken when he sees how they actually are. And I think this ugliness or lack thereof manifests in the protagonist himself. He always pulls a comical face when he's out of his comfort zone with the big mouth girl and her friends or the editors and mangaka, but when he's confronting his "destiny" with the fortune teller, the psychologist, or Rin herself, he looks mature and decent. Maybe I'm reading too much into this though.

Also, are we ever going to find out what that delinquent guy wanted from Rin last chapter? And why is all the cool mystical stuff she does (like at the end of this chapter) never explained??

Charade

Curious as to what Rin saw in his manga. Not sure what to read into that look of hers. And Honda asking him out on a proper date makes me think that maaaaybe I should rethink my stance on her. A little. Maybe.

I'm thinking she was either looking for the Torus theme and didn't see it, or saw that it really isn't the type of manga he wants to draw (that his editor kinda pushed him into it).

Mob Psycho 100 57

Makes sense he could use his power to do that. I get the feeling that he'll somehow be tempted to use it for bad.

scy

Majo to Houki to Kurobuchi Megane 18 -

Ml7QiNj.png

Welp.

Rin 16

I wonder about the depiction of ugliness in this manga. I always feel that there's an undercurrent of "the adult world is ugly" when he's out to these bars and clubs.

Maybe? I just kind of took it as art style choices but that's a good point. It's really consistent across the board so it could be something. To try and mark the two sides off even more and continue with the heaven / hell and muse / reaper theme. To create more sharp contrasts.

Also, are we ever going to find out what that delinquent guy wanted from Rin last chapter? And why is all the cool mystical stuff she does (like at the end of this chapter) never explained??

murder suicide ritual

Thanks a lot Umi no Misaki, I see it everywhere

I'm thinking she was either looking for the Torus theme and didn't see it, or saw that it really isn't the type of manga he wants to draw (that his editor kinda pushed him into it).

That's what I thought originally but her look didn't seem like an "aha, forced into it" thing. I dunno. Guess we'll find out.

Eventually.

Konya, Mister de 01-03

Childhood friends rediscovered each other at a gay bar.

Cute story, I liked it. Was rather short, but that's pretty ok.

Not a big fan of the other story though.

Sunny Days
tumblr_n2jgmhlLqx1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Best AoKaga yet, just a perfect day of them just smiling at each other from Kagami looking as Aomine helped the old lady to Aomine making such a face at Kagami crying and then the bed scene. While the anime has lost its way in the current game, at least these stories continue to deliver on the great strengths of Kurobas. Definitely made my weekend.

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm getting burned out by the never ending weekly series and novelty stories. Can we have another poll or recommendation thread (similar to flawfuls or bjorks) that adds the best manga from the last three years or so?

upandaway

I'm getting burned out by the never ending weekly series and novelty stories. Can we have another poll or recommendation thread (similar to flawfuls or bjorks) that adds the best manga from the last three years or so?
Take a look at the recommendations lists that dramatis painstakingly compiles for every OT (it's near the OP). It's a bit big but if you mentioned the flawfuls thread, you might not mind.

If you want something more concentrated, just give us something some tags and we'll recommend on the spot.

Mortemis

Banned
Soma 62

Man, Soma v Best Nakiri straight out of the gate? Thank god they're having this battle first. I'm so hype right now, fuck shit up Soma.

Kingdom

And just when I think nothing can get me more hyped than Soma this week, Kingdom just has to come and blow me away. This Sai arc is too much.

kasane

Soma 62

Man, Soma v Best Nakiri straight out of the gate? Thank god they're having this battle first. I'm so hype right now, fuck shit up Soma.

Kingdom

And just when I think nothing can get me more hyped than Soma this week, Kingdom just has to come and blow me away. This Sai arc is too much.

you're now welcome on the superior soma tastes club

Waratte! Sotomura-san 60

I guess I don't mind this contrast between Sotomura and this new loli.

It's kinda fresh that'll probably get boring the next three times they use it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Soma

Poor Alice. This is an obvious setup for her to lose right here.

It's going to be glorious when Tadokoro wins the tournament.

Shokugeki no Soma 62

HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE.

I can't contain all this HYPE.

All I ask is for Alice not to fall for our man Soma at the end of the match.

Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! 12.5

This kind senpai I met in the MMO I'm playing is actually my older brother!

Add in and I might have feelings for them and we got the plot ready for the next big LN.

kasane

Shokugeki no Soma 62

HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE.

I can't contain all this HYPE.

All I ask is for Alice not to fall for our man Soma at the end of the match.

she will :p

upandaway

I seriously doubt there will be a solid Soma harem going on. A triangle sure, I'll let you go that far (not including the childhood friend (ouch who hit me)), but everyone else will at worst hook up with different people. There are tons of pairs already.

Shokugeki no Soma 62

This will be like an episode of Chopped/Top Chef/whatever where the chef who goes overboard on technique loses terribly.

How glorious.

upandaway

You guys are... man I don't wanna sound mean or anything, um, aww. But I think there are a lot of posts lately that are kinda just.. dunno, well.. repeating themselves a tiny bit.. maybe. I mean it's fun and all but y'know? I think after a certain point it might be better with something more besides blank < and >.. or something. Sorry!

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
You guys are... man I don't wanna sound mean or anything, um, aww. But I think there are a lot of posts lately that are kinda just.. dunno, well.. repeating themselves a tiny bit.. maybe. I mean it's fun and all but y'know? I think after a certain point it might be better with something more besides blank < and >.. or something. Sorry!
are you talking about people being a bit forward with their particular waifu. 'cos I can see that

Waratte! Sotomura-san 60
dis bitch. Hopefully her gags won't be worn out so much... who am I kidding

Taboo-Tattoo 27
There's also, ya know, the whole having her eyes stitched shut and being an intruder defence system thing that might tip you off that she's not the princess. Anyway, this result was expected, gg vegetarianism.

Check out the last few posts before mine, looks like there's something you should be reading—!
I know, I promised brainfart senpai I'd pick it up when the tournament ends.

Itoshi no Karin 10

Damn, little sister didn't quite turn into the mini-wingman but did encourage Karin.

Back to Yutaka + Karin next month (Q_Q) :D

gaaaaaaaah so cute

Ballroom e Youkoso 1.2

My oh my, that was a pretty good second half of the first chapter. I'm completely hooked.

I like the main character. His determination definitely shows and was pretty nice to see him want to change so quickly. The dancing was pretty cool to see and there's a lot more technical stuff that kinda goes over my head but still very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom