• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this talk of Erina and love interests and whatnot makes me wonder: are there any mangas where the there's a curveball thrown at the "main" pairing or assumed to be "main" pairing and its not completely rage-inducing (or ends up working out pretty well in the end).

When I reread Onani Master Kurosawa last week I was wondering the same thing. It smashes your expectations into tiny pieces but then ends up working out a lot better in the end.

All this talk of Erina and love interests and whatnot makes me wonder: are there any mangas where the there's a curveball thrown at the "main" pairing or assumed to be "main" pairing and its not completely rage-inducing (or ends up working out pretty well in the end).

When I reread Onani Master Kurosawa last week I was wondering the same thing. It smashes your expectations into tiny pieces but then ends up working out a lot better in the end.

The only I could recall is Nurarihyon no Mago.

Tsurara <3

scy

For real, I've read the first two chapters about 8 times because it's just so good. If only the serialization focused on Yanagi and Kujou more ;_;

I'd settle for just having more chapters :( But, yeah, the first few chapters were great. There's still a lot of good moments but adding the extra guy (and now girl) just muddies things.

Tsurara <3

I don't even remember who the original main girl was supposed to be. She basically just disappeared from the story eventually.

Tsurara is why I'm going to keep up with Illegal Rare. There's a chance at having a Tsurara v2.0! I believe!

dumbyugi

Do you mean like the main guy gets together with someone other than the "main" girl? Ichigo 100% is the best example of that. There were people who raged about it but screw them the best girl deserved to win and she did.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Nana to Kaoru Arashi 43 - Goddamn. Last chapter and this are so much payoff. Just ... so much. I'm going to shed a tear.

Yeah, probably.

To be serious, my preference of Erina at this point is design-wise. Story-wise, Tadokoro is a relevant member of the cast and has actually , y'know, grown. She makes the most sense, plot-wise, at this point. Erina is basically just ... around. And that's not even really true.

Edit:

Now I'm going to have to reread this. You monster.
Well theres only 62 chapters so its not like there isn't time for Erina to become more relevant.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Tsurara <3

Tsurara <333333333333333333333333

It's refreshing for a Shounen author to conclusively put an end to the question "who is the girl that wins in the end" instead of that shitty thing that mangas like Beelzebub pulled off.

I don't even remember who the original main girl was supposed to be. She basically just disappeared from the story eventually.

Tsurara is why I'm going to keep up with Illegal Rare. There's a chance at having a Tsurara v2.0! I believe!

Pffffffft, Tsurara is always the main girl from the very beginning.

And what is thisss? Need me more Tsurara <3

scy

Do you mean like the main guy gets together with someone other than the "main" girl? Ichigo 100% is the best example of that. There were people who raged about it but screw them the best girl deserved to win and she did.

Story wise, I remember it making more sense this way too.

Most my "anger" at this was I just liked main girl's design better, though it's hard to say she's really all that much of a character.

Well theres only 62 chapters so its not like there isn't time for Erina to become more relevant.

True. Just noting how it is so far. I'd much prefer Erina if she's given the chance to be an actual part of the cast and not the pseudo-antagonist that she is currently.

Pffffffft, Tsurara is always the main girl from the very beginning.

And what is thisss? Need me more Tsurara <3

No, seriously, there was the whole angle with the classmate. She was clearly supposed to be the main love interest wasn't she?

And there's no Tsurara-caliber character in Illegal Rare yet. I'm just hoping. A lot.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Noragami 28
Poor Yato. I don't really get how he was cowed in the last few pages though. Yukine's still upset over being passed over for a stray, but I guess he's trying to not let it bother him. I still agree with the old man god, Hiyori shouldn't forsake her "living" life for the world of the dead. She needs to figure out a good balance between the two.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
No, seriously, there was the whole angle with the classmate. She was clearly supposed to be the main love interest wasn't she?

Kana.

Well, she did fit the description for the shounenloveinterest(tm): childhood friend, etc etc.

Too bad for her it's a known fact that the author's favorite character is Tsurara, hahaha.

Charade

Shinozaki-san Ki wo Ota Shika ni! 12.5

It's nice to see that treating strangers better than family is universal, lol. Also, I think this is the first time we've seen the mom.

Prison School 103

Him bringing the scissors gave me a good laugh

Lain

Crimson Wolf volume 1
FRC.jpg

When buying it, I really didn't realize who was the author, because if I did I wouldn't have bought it. I didn't like Blazer Drive and it's one of the few series I dropped.
With that said, the first volume wasn't too bad. Nothing great either but overall it was serviceable thanks to having only one big fight and most of the pages spent on building the few characters introduced.
Protagonist is pretty annoying and useless with some hidden strength but the crazy girl that joins him makes things interesting.
The whole sheep/wolf thing is interesting too, though it feels a bit weak in the way it's handled.
With how the first volume ends and with this being only 4 volumes long, I hope useless main guy manages to save Hibari.

scy

I think there's one more chapter for Arashi? Might be two more. I really should've said "Previous" and not "Last" :x Just meant that 42 and 43 were both such good payoff chapters.

Quasar

I think there's one more chapter for Arashi? Might be two more. I really should've said "Previous" and not "Last" :x Just meant that 42 and 43 were both such good payoff chapters.

Oh yeah. Certainly great chapters. Just got a bit confused as I knew it was ending soon, so I thought it might have actually ended that way.

Wa... wait. Tadokoro awakens your sadist side?!

You monster.

Tadokoro doesn't. I liked seeing da Tsun women brought down yo. In my case it's reason I read TWGOK for a while.

And why I think Erina is best girl because it screams potential. The bigger the Tsun... ohohohohoho.

I'd settle for just having more chapters :( But, yeah, the first few chapters were great. There's still a lot of good moments but adding the extra guy (and now girl) just muddies things.

...illegal rare is from the guy who made Nurahiyon No Mago?

WHY DID NOBODY TELL ME.

Hanimero 01-02

That smirk.

Uh, high school guy draws smutty manga. Uses his crush and student council president as base of said smutty manga. And then she discovers his secret, dun dun dun.

It's not too bad. The eyes are just a little weird, but blushes all around and just a little lewd.

Lain

Hanimero 01-02

That smirk.

Uh, high school guy draws smutty manga. Uses his crush and student council president as base of said smutty manga. And then she discovers his secret, dun dun dun.

It's not too bad. The eyes are just a little weird, but blushes all around and just a little lewd.

I didn't enjoy this too much, despite the high level of lewd. I've been finding her other work Five to be more enjoyable.

thenexus6

After many years I finally finished Welcome to the NHK. It was good, but one of those rare times when I thought that anime was actually better than the manga

kasane

Ballroom e Youkoso 1.2

My oh my, that was a pretty good second half of the first chapter. I'm completely hooked.

I like the main character. His determination definitely shows and was pretty nice to see him want to change so quickly. The dancing was pretty cool to see and there's a lot more technical stuff that kinda goes over my head but still very interesting.

finally an update

neoanarch

Fushigi na Shounen

I'm glad you read it and like it just as much as I did. I love every single chapter some more than others. Fox- Eyed Torakichi is probably my favorite.

One thing that bothers me is the Bela chapter, the one thats a retelling almost of the Count of Monte Cristo. Most of the chapters set int he past have been historical except i can't find anything about the events in Bela. I don't know if its an issue with the translation or if its purely fantasy,

She'd probably have the same speech prepared if the theme was heating up TV dinners.

lol so true.... just for the sake of the argument

She always comments that he makes plebeian meals.... they tell him to make a plebeian meal but when he comments about it being to common she says thats not even a plebeian meal to begin with

lol the hypocrisy

Soma likely just makes Toast all day

her hair has handles

her hair is in the shape of crab

can't get it out of my mind

kasane

lol so true.... just for the sake of the argument

She always comments that he makes plebeian meals.... they tell him to make a plebeian meal but when he comments about it being to common she says thats not even a plebeian meal to begin with

lol the hypocrisy

Soma likely just makes Toast all day

her hair is in the shape of crab

can't get it out of my mind

thats why alice is the best

i mean the best

best best best

Charade

I'm glad you read it and like it just as much as I did. I love every single chapter some more than others. Fox- Eyed Torakichi is probably my favorite.

It's been a while since I've read something that's affected me that way. Thank you for pointing it out!! I wouldn't have read it otherwise.

About the Bela one, I also googled it to see if it was semi-historical, but couldn't find anything. I think it's just highly inspired by history. So the persecuted "Rom" in the story are like the Romani people, and then there's all the fake European-sounding countries and their territorial disputes. It was a very intriguing chapter. I was surprised by how much the boy grew attached to Bela.

Eyeshield 21 initially introduces a childhood friend who seems like she'd be the main love interest, then instead she ends up with Himura the qb and Sena ends up with the cheerleader girl whos introduced in like chapter 80 something.

One Piece if you count Nami or Robin as the female leads I'd say 0% chance Luffy ends up with either of them (most likely he'll chi chi his way with Hancock)

And everyone forgets about Erina's worship of Soma's down, when she inevitably learns the truth and realizes the man she worships is basically the dude that made/taught soma everything he knows she's gonna melt like butter in a frying pan.

Also lord help the internet if Naruto ends up with Sakura at the end instead of Hinata

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom