• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I went back and read the oneshot of Shokugeki no Soma. I think Erina and Soma interact more in that issue than they have in all of the serialization. She's a lot more functional in that issue, though; she even votes for Soma in a shokugeki (which obviously the authors hadn't really worked out yet, since Erina challenged Soma, had her lackey be the competitor, and she was the sole judge).

World Trigger 52
tumblr_n2ll814Mev1qbxqfpo1_1280.png

Perhaps its time to hold an inauguration service for Chika's performance as one of the most recent well performing femChars in shonen jump this year. Utterly impressive chapter. Though Osamu could have been the one to do it, to finally have her not sit around is good.

Manga mondays at Dark Horse, Carl Horn talks about Hiroki Endo's Eden: What an Endless World, which happens to be a personal favorite of mine.

www.darkhorse.com/Blog/1634/manga-mondays-return-eden

I was just looking for an excuse to post this again, figured I'd use his ICv2 interview where he namedropped it, but this is even better.

This is a cleaned illustration from the backcover of the 13th volume, there's another nice illustration of her but so far I've only seen it on a little booklet that was given away at a signing event and a prize.

Disclaimer: Eden sold like shit in the States, it's stalled and Dark Horse never bothered to reprint the earlier volumes. Meanwhile in Italy a 9 volume omnibus large trim edition just had its last volume published this January and All Rounder Meguru volume 12 came out last week.

One of my favorite mangas (though I admit the ending volumes weren't up to par). I have some spanish volumes (unfinished) and some US volumes and even some UK volumes. Maybe one day I will get to finish it.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I went back and read the oneshot of Shokugeki no Soma. I think Erina and Soma interact more in that issue than they have in all of the serialization. She's a lot more functional in that issue, though; she even votes for Soma in a shokugeki (which obviously the authors hadn't really worked out yet, since Erina challenged Soma, had her lackey be the competitor, and she was the sole judge).
Yeah I didn't mind the Erina of the one shot as much. It also helped reinforce the fact that she has always been intended as a love interest. But even in the one shot, Soma was looking past her ("into infinity"), so contrary to my hopes it didn't help clarify how Soma is going to fall in love with anyone, let alone Erina.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah I didn't mind the Erina of the one shot as much. It also helped reinforce the fact that she has always been intended as a love interest. But even in the one shot, Soma was looking past her ("into infinity"), so contrary to my hopes it didn't help clarify how Soma is going to fall in love with anyone, let alone Erina.

Its interesting - almost none of the character arc between them exists in the actual manga outside of some vague subtext. But in the oneshot, he directly tells her he thinks her cooking is boring because she never makes any mistakes, but he never really says any of that to her in the serialization (mostly because we never see Erina cooking anything, since her role as deuteragonist is instead taken by Tadokoro).

Edit: At rate, its just going to be me, dakkumauji and scy talking to ourselves because everyone else is banned.

IHaveIce

Banned

Looking at the one shot again and the early chapters I'm still mad how they turned down the smut( that was already not much)

Angry Grimace

Looking at the one shot again and the early chapters I'm still mad how they turned down the smut( that was already not much)

The reason that happened is because its relatively mainstream popular.

Conan-san

World Trigger 52

Perhaps its time to hold an inauguration service for Chika's performance as one of the most recent well performing femChars in shonen jump this year. Utterly impressive chapter. Though Osamu could have been the one to do it, to finally have her not sit around is good.
Though given that she's shown to have a spine will utterly destroy her ranking.

Blackhead

Redarse
We've gone through this before with the thread of trying to figure out how to do a "Manga of the Year." I know that other threads do have those but it's a bit harder when there's really not that many serieses(eses) that are finished in a year unless we start trying to find all the random one-shots or one volume works. Unless it's just a constantly running thing of "vote for best mangas ever that are completed up to the end of the year" which would probably not end up being all that indicative of much.

And I still think "novelty" needs a real definition here.

If we do take a poll for best manga, we will be seeing a lot of weekly series such as One Piece, Naruto and Bleach.

Its what most people casually read.

Nah, you could start a thread in the OT, but the entire thread will be people voting for Berserk. Whether that's something you think is good, I don't know, but that's what you're going to get.

If one asked us in here, you'd get a much wider selection, but nobody's going to agree on anything.

That's pretty much the caveat of any Best of whatever thing especially when you have things that run throughout the whole year and more. It's a lot different than say Best Anime of 2013 since you can easily narrow it down. I mean sure you could do that with manga saying stuff only released during a certain time frame but who wants to actually go and place limits on that.

Well the long running series could be limited to their most recent arcs that were released in the last year or so (or we could just disqualify Bleach on principle — seriously if anyone puts Bleach as no1 I'm going to reach across the intertubes and give you a knock, fair warning :p). There could be a list of 'nominees' compiled in this thread that would be used as the foundation for a separate voting thread so it's not overrun by casuals. Perhaps a longer voting period so posters have time to check out some of the series they aren't yet familiar with? I think it could work

Or maybe I'll just scour the internet for japanese manga awards and compile a list from that

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
fought the good fight of not giving a shit about Titanfall, rip in peace BibleThump

it's not a perma is it?

Its interesting - almost none of the character arc between them exists in the actual manga outside of some vague subtext. But in the oneshot, he directly tells her he thinks her cooking is boring because she never makes any mistakes, but he never really says any of that to her in the serialization (mostly because we never see Erina cooking anything, since her role as deuteragonist is instead taken by Tadokoro).

Edit: At rate, its just going to be me, dakkumauji and scy talking to ourselves because everyone else is banned.
Yeah, I noticed that too, like in the chapter of that sore loser panel that gets cycled around here often, she remembers how he said that his experience with failure would make him win or something.

Also don't forget Kasane. :p

Eh, I like the various food reactions now. It reminds me of Yakitate Japan just more grounded.

Does this mean one of us has to get banned? Like some kind of noble sacrifice for the greater good?

Does one of us have to murder the other to graduate from this thread?

survivor

Banned
Well the long running series could be limited to their most recent arcs that were released in the last year or so (or we could just disqualify Bleach on principle — seriously if anyone puts Bleach as no1 I'm going to reach across the intertubes and give you a knock, fair warning :p). There could be a list of 'nominees' compiled in this thread that would be used as the foundation for a separate voting thread so it's not overrun by casuals. Perhaps a longer voting period so posters have time to check out some of the series they aren't yet familiar with? I think it could work

Or maybe I'll just scour the internet for japanese manga awards and compile a list from that
Natalie awards for 2013 which is polled from a list of manga editors
1. Sakamoto desu ga?
2. Shingeki no Kyojin
3. Ajin
4. Kakukaku Shikajika
5. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu
6. Gin no Saji
7. Nanatsu no Taizai
8. Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu
9. Kyou wa Kaisha Yasumimasu.
10. High Score Girl
11. Ballroom e Youkoso
12. Kuu Neru Futari Sumu Futari
13. Aku no Hana
14. Innocent
15. Kuku no Honkai
16. Hikidashi ni Terrarium
17. Bokura no 17-On!
18. One Punch-Man
19. Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun
20. Shiki no Zenjitsu
21. Kingdom
22. Genshiken
23. Sayonara, Sorcier
24. Umimachi Diary
25. Sanzoku Diary
26. Tokyo Shinjuu
27. Fujiyama-san wa Shishunki
28. Bungou Stray Dogs

Manga Taisho 2014 awards
Ajin
Ashizuri Suizokukan
A Bride’s Story
Sakamoto Desu Ga?
Goodbye, Tama-chan
Juuhan Shuttai
The Seven Deadly Sins
Hikidashi ni Terrarium
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi
One-Punch Man

18 Tezuka Osamu Cultural Award
I by Igarashi Mikio from Monthly Ikki
Ai...Shisomeku Koro ni... by Fujiko Fujio A from Big Comic Original Zoukan
Gin no Saji by Arakawa Hiromu from Weekly Shounen Sunday
3-Gatsu no Lion by Umeno Chika from Young Animal
Shitsuren Chocolatier by Mizushira Setona from Monthly Flowers
Shingeki no Kyojin by Isayama Hajime from Bessatsu Shounen Magazine
Doubutsu no Kuni by Raiku Makoto from Bessatsu Shounen Magazine
Yagi no Ki by Yamashita Tatsuhiko (story) and Igarashi Mikio (artwork) from Evening
Machi de Uwasa no Tengu no Ko by Iwamoto Nao from Monthly Flowers
Mitsuami no Kamisama by Kyou Machiko from Jump Kai
There is also a reader award version for that which has more titles

Angry Grimace

fought the good fight of not giving a shit about Titanfall, rip in peace BibleThump

it's not a perma is it?

Yeah, I noticed that too, like in the chapter of that sore loser panel that gets cycled around here often, she remembers how he said that his experience with failure would make him win or something.

Also don't forget Kasane. :p

Of course not. You'll know when someone's knocking on the door of a perm. A single smartass comment is just going to get you a week or two.

As for the next part of this arc, I think this is going to be your Alice backstory arc. She's actually a gimmick character like Nikumi, its just not terribly obvious yet. My guess is that we're going to find out that she turned into technology cooking girl because she needed to find a way to surpass Erina or something like that. I'm going to give it a less than 50% odds that she joins Soma's harem, but I think odds are pretty high she'll end up in the Defeat Means Friendship trope.

Vito

Banned
One of my favorite mangas (though I admit the ending volumes weren't up to par). I have some spanish volumes (unfinished) and some US volumes and even some UK volumes. Maybe one day I will get to finish it.

I got some of the UK volumes as well, they were identical to the US ones afaik, except with Titan Books or smth on the spine?

I'm actually for the whole Soma learned the whole cooking with kindness thing from his dad and Tadokoro which reflects in the bento que "You can't cook with love cliche"

Boom 2nd cliche of being hinted in 52.5 about Alice pretending she knows a lot realizes she doesn't, says "Then teach me." Que herp derp shenanigans.

Angry Grimace

Some day, we'll find out the ultimate question in Shokugeki: the name of those two guys in the Polar Star dorm who are always there as butt monkeys.

Kurita

I'm surprised you aren't.

I really didn't expect to see so much super interesting artwork for this series already.

It's weird how this might be one of the season's biggest hits and it pretty much came out of nowhere.

I hyped it when the anime adaptation got announced. Nobody listened to me.

scy

I'm actually for the whole Soma learned the whole cooking with kindness thing from his dad and Tadokoro which reflects in the bento que "You can't cook with love cliche"

Boom 2nd cliche of being hinted in 52.5 about Alice pretending she knows a lot realizes she doesn't, says "Then teach me." Que herp derp shenanigans.

Cooking with love == Harem route unlocked.

Let's do this.

IHaveIce

Banned
The reason that happened is because its relatively mainstream popular.

If less smut gives us more stuff like chapter 59 reactions then I'm all for it.

Does this mean one of us has to get banned? Like some kind of noble sacrifice for the greater good?

Wasn't necessary anymore.

Eh, I like the various food reactions now. It reminds me of Yakitate Japan just more grounded.

Does one of us have to murder the other to graduate from this thread?

I get why they got rid of it, but I still think it is dumb. TLRD is also popular and still is lewd as fuck.

We need more mainstream smut. I miss nozoki ana

Angry Grimace

I get why they got rid of it, but I still think it is dumb. TLRD is also popular and still is lewd as fuck.

We need more mainstream smut. I miss nozoki ana

I don't think TLRD is nearly as popular as SNS is. Its also not in regular old WSJ either, although regular TLR was.

Articalys

So, about Prison School, is it actually a balance of more serious and comedic elements, or more heavily leaning towards one or the other?

upandaway

you'll all be happy to know I watched the last few
episodes of Toradora today.

Amazing. Just amazing.

I SWEAR I WAS CUTTING ONIONS AROUND DINNER TIME AND...

aww fuck it I hate onions.

:')
Oh man, I was freaking out so hard when I was in your spot. I made a similar post here too. Toradora, it's pretty good, man. It's pretty good.

I'm really excited to read the VN but I'll wait till the end of the year or so, because I've read way too many VNs this year already. I'm thinking about that VN every day.

Noo :(

Even in death, the hmph is still perfectly executed.

Some day, we'll find out the ultimate question in Shokugeki: the name of those two guys in the Polar Star dorm who are always there as butt monkeys.
If they're first years, they're the most forgettable characters in the manga. If they're second years, he's probably saving them for later on.

Angry Grimace

Oh man, I was freaking out so hard when I was in your spot. I made a similar post here too. Toradora, it's pretty good, man. It's pretty good.

I'm really excited to read the VN but I'll wait till the end of the year or so, because I've read way too many VNs this year already. I'm thinking about that VN every day.

Noo :(

Even in death, the hmph is still perfectly executed.

If they're first years, they're the most forgettable characters in the manga. If they're second years, he's probably saving them for later on.

They are first years. Isshiki says he's the only second year.

upandaway

They are first years. Isshiki says he's the only second year.
Man that's crazy. When I saw them at the tournament cheering I was legitimately dumbfounded like I was supposed to know who they were. Actually I'm still operating on that because I don't remember anything about them before the tournament.

Angry Grimace

Man that's crazy. When I saw them at the tournament cheering I was legitimately dumbfounded like I was supposed to know who they were. Actually I'm still operating on that because I don't remember anything about them before the tournament.

Yeah, the manga is pretty slow to tell you who anyone is right now. We don't know those guys names, we only figured out the secretary's name like 3 weeks ago and we know who three of the Elite Ten are. My only guess is that Tadokoro or some of the other characters are going to take those E10 spots since at this rate, because otherwise it would be chapter 400 before we even figured out who the No. 1 seat even is. Although I fully expect Erina to pull a Gary in Pokemon Red and take No. 1 before he ever gets there.

I'm more interested in these two then jobber 1 & 2

g7Pd0NK.jpg

q3Bda7F.jpg

And I don't even know if they're going to appear again.

Welp.

I wonder if there's some kind of mistake here from some side, because it doesn't feel like it's about to end really soon...

Gonna need to buy a bottle to drown my sorrows when its an open ending.

kewlmyc

I can't believe TWGOK is ending. Sure the latest arc has been god awful, but so was Hayate's latest arc, and that one was much longer, yet it's still kicking.

I can't believe TWGOK is ending. Sure the latest arc has been god awful, but so was Hayate's latest arc, and that one was much longer, yet it's still kicking.

I'm guess Hayate is more popular and they can probably pump half decent OVAs featuring the girls like what they are planning to do.

Or maybe TWGOK's author finally ran out of steam and had no idea what the hell he was going to do with the story anymore.

Angry Grimace

I'm more interested in these two then jobber 1 & 2

g7Pd0NK.jpg

q3Bda7F.jpg

And I don't even know if they're going to appear again.

Gonna need to buy a bottle to drown my sorrows when its an open ending.

I imagine they will. I mean, the guy in front of the Elf guy in that panel turned out to be Alice's aide.

kewlmyc

I'm guess Hayate is more popular and they can probably pump half decent OVAs featuring the girls like what they are planning to do.

Or maybe TWGOK's author finally ran out of steam and had no idea what the hell he was going to do with the story anymore.

We'll probably never find out who Demeter is either. Yay dropped plot points!

Lain

I hope it's a short one.

Failure of a Heroine volume 5

This keep being one of the better shojo I'm reading at the moment. Between the silly facial expressions everyone makes (as shown up there), the way the interactions between the characters are handled and the whole idiocy of the premise it manages to stay fresh and funny while moving the plot forward, building the characters steadily and creating interesting situations.
I see that the scanlations have really picked up the pace since I last looked and are even getting close to the last volume. Given how the official release in Italy has been coming out slowly, resisting the urge to check scans is gonna be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom