• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kieli

I don't see what Soma could possibly learn by losing to an opponent. He's already lost 400+ times. He doesn't need to go through the whole song-and-dance of growing a backbone that other spineless protagonists need to go through. He's already way past that threshold and is a certified pheromone-secreting badass.

Which reminds me of Katekyo.
The MC remains a loser, :lol.

kasane

I don't see what Soma could possibly learn by losing to an opponent. He's already lost 400+ times. He doesn't need to go through the whole song-and-dance of growing a backbone that other spineless protagonists need to go through. He's already way past that threshold and is a certified pheromone-secreting badass.

Which reminds me of Katekyo.
The MC remains a loser, :lol.

It seemed like his future self was more mature but look at how the manga ended *shrugs*

Dresden

Picking up Haikyuu because I really like the anime. This is the power of good anime adaptations. Kurita and DTL were right, etc, etc.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Inugami-san to Sarutobi-kun

A perfect Ojou set to inherit the family fortune finds her position has been given away to a smarmy asshole who spends all of his time trolling the fuck out of her.

scy

Girl's the Wilds 133 - Oh. Okay. Going to set up nicely for MC to finally do something. Right? RIGHT?!

Oh yeah scy, what was that ntr manga we we're reading a while back. The one with the female police

Oh. It was uh ...

Meh. Who cares.

Tokyo Ravens 23

5lcla0E.png

That brofight with Touji. So awesome.

Magi 222

It took me 222 chapters to realize I don't like Magi very much. The battles are as dull as your bottom-tier shonen beamfest, the lore loses itself in overcomplication, the plot is too rushed, and the messages about racism are trite as all hell. It's got some nice art and funny moments, but after reading this and Sumomomo Momomo I think Ohtaka Shinobu has problems with crafting a good long-running story. Her writing is too spastic to focus on any one storyline without zooming off to something new.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
TWGOK Time travel arc

So, actually managing to wrap up the time travel arc, and I kinda like it. I still don't know why there's a need to create a time paradox at all so everything else just felt like some sort of extra after the goddess arc, but I enjoyed the concepts introduced and the way the arc progressed, as well as some of the character revelations shown which I thought was handled really well.

Some massive caveats though.

Firstly, the Urara arc, which is where I left off, drags on forever and is also fucking creepy as shit, which considering this is TWGOK we're talking about here means that it is super creepy.

Secondly, it honestly just felt un-needed. Reading through it I don't see why a time paradox should have happened in the first place. Still, at least the time travel part was done okayish.

Thirdly, ending just feels really rushed. Elsie suddenly being the super weapon could work but it isn't developed as a concept at all.

All in all though, I enjoyed it more than I thought I would and chihiro won in the end so whatever.

Also, man, haqua really got the short end of the stick here. :lol

_hekk05

Banned
TWGOK Time travel arc.

Time paradox always occurs whenever there is time travel, its not just limited to TWGOK. The main question is, if they alter the past, then the present should not exist.

TWGOK solves this by switching the 2 Keimas' consciousness in each timeline, and then having the future Keima lay the groundwork in the past. By leashing up all the girls who would be bonded to the goddesses, he allows all the goddesses to be within reach (aka be in the same school) when he needs to awaken all of them in the future.

This is why all the goddesses were conveniently in the same school. Its not a coincidence, but its also not because the school was special. The situation was literally engineered that way by future Keima. It was also why he would succeed, because he had already done it.

In the event he would fail or make a wrong decision, he left notes for Tenri, which is also kind of the reason why she moved back to the neighbourhood around the time when the goddesses were needed. Everything explains itself.

Elsie though, I'm still completely confused about her.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Time paradox always occurs whenever there is time travel, its not just limited to TWGOK. The main question is, if they alter the past, then the present should not exist.

TWGOK solves this by switching the 2 Keimas' consciousness in each timeline, and then having the future Keima lay the groundwork in the past. By leashing up all the girls who would be bonded to the goddesses, he allows all the goddesses to be within reach (aka be in the same school) when he needs to awaken all of them in the future.

This is why all the goddesses were conveniently in the same school. Its not a coincidence, but its also not because the school was special. The situation was literally engineered that way by future Keima. It was also why he would succeed, because he had already done it.

In the event he would fail or make a wrong decision, he left notes for Tenri, which is also kind of the reason why she moved back to the neighbourhood around the time when the goddesses were needed. Everything explains itself.

Elsie though, I'm still completely confused about her.

I understand all those, but I guess for me, and people who dropped it during the time travel arc too probably, it just feels like a super protracted way of explaining how the goddesses got there in the first place. Still, as I've said though, I enjoyed the concepts and story arcs introduced by the time paradox.

Also it wasn't really apparent that it was going to be that way during the Urara arc, which is where I dropped it. Instead it felt like it was going to be the same conquering thing again except with lolis, which I'm not really that into.

scy

Also it wasn't really apparent that it was going to be that way during the Urara arc, which is where I dropped it. Instead it felt like it was going to be the same conquering thing again except with lolis, which I'm not really that into.

I don't think anyone was expecting it to go where it did lol :x

The time travel arc was pretty clearly the author not knowing where to take the plot next so he came up with something that already had a foregone conclusion. I think he just finally gave up with the last few chapters and came up with the Elsie-is-an-ancient-evil thing in order to solve the harem problem quickly (which is really the only thing anyone cared about at this point anyway).

Its a real shame because everything up to the end of the Goddess' arc is gold. I guess he just wrote himself into a corner since there was no way Keima could do anymore capturing given the situation he was in.

dumbyugi

Akuma no Riddle 8-20

The pacing is so weird. It took nearly 10 chapters to get to the main story hook but then it suddenly gets a lot faster and within the next 10 chapters we've already gone through 2 assasins with another one's story coming to an end in the next few. This is caught up to the Japanese releases so I'm interested to see what the anime does with the other assasins. I hope it expands on the first 2 assasins stories a little bit, the manga kind of rushed through them.

Marche90

Ao no Exorcist 56

Dai-pinch desu

I still need to go back to this. Dropped it around chapter 33 or so and never looked back. Dunno why it bored me so much when before that I was enjoying it.

Maybe it being a monthly series has something to do, but then again, I remained engaged to Rosario to Vampire up until the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom