• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

What do you mean they "add all the popular series found on other sites"?

Their manga list reads like some sort of crazy mish mash of series that aren't in the same publisher or mag in Japan. I was just trying to figure out what their selection criteria was.

Since they already have other manga from that magazine it was probably highly likely they would definitely get more from it.

At least with the people Ive noticed, the translators for crunchyroll manga are typically the same ones that the already do manga translations from the american licensors.

Hmm, okay, that makes sense.

Kurita

C'mon. I have something near 10,000 MangaGAF posts. Do you REALLY think I care how many posts you make?
KuGsj.gif
Why are you always talking about your posts then?

upandaway

Like, most of it was when I was playing a ton of Hearthstone so it was done with that on one monitor and just reading stuff / GAF on the other.

I get that it's a stupid number of posts but, at the same time, it's not like I'm just looking for opportunities to post stuff. I think. I dunno.
You're not being accused of that, man, stop saying that. It's just that those are a lot of posts. There are a lot of posts in that number. Just based on precedent, I'm super surprised by that number. Are we ok now.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You're not being accused of that, man, stop saying that. It's just that those are a lot of posts. There are a lot of posts in that number. Just based on precedent, I'm super surprised by that number. Are we ok now.

I'm a little surprised at the defensiveness. Its just like, an observation, man.

Charade

I'm kinda surprised I've posted as much as I have since I only started reading manga when I picked up Nisekoi, at which point the thread was only like 1500 posts in.

Hm. This got me thinking about what my first manga was...Probably something obvious like one of the big three.
Could only go up from there! :p

Anyone distinctly remember theirs?

I'm a little surprised at the defensiveness. Its just like, an observation, man.

honestly it feels to me like bringing up arbitrary things like post counts is sorta pointless and oddly passive aggressive. like, it's gonna make people self conscious, so it's hardly surprising they feel the need to justify themselves. by bringing it up you inherently make it sound like a bad thing.

it's fun to joke about wall of shame and stuff when we get to a new thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if people get a little defensive when you being it up. unless people are posting useless shit that people don't want to read constantly, why even bring up post numbers?

:/

scy

=(

That was some quick escalation.

It's called tsunderes. I thought you'd know this one.

Huh? I'm just saying I'm giving them good-natured shit. I don't really care if they post a lot or a little.

I get that from most of them. There's been a few that have been less playful banter.

I just like big numbers.

I remember when we used to talk about good shonen manga in this thread

Good times

What's good shonen manga.

I'm kinda surprised I've posted as much as I have since I only started reading manga when I picked up Nisekoi, at which point the thread was only like 1500 posts in.

but here I am.

------------------------------------------

Baby Steps 208

all caught up now. Decent match with Okada, not the best but it was interesting to see another player get so close to the zone, and for Maruo to still be able to beat him, despite clinging on for dear life at the end.

It's gonna be a tough tournament. Feels like Maruo should really have been seeded this tourney, but since it's his first time there I guess it's to be expected.

With the way the author seems to deal with manga tropes, I don't think Maruo will win the tournament.

With the way the author seems to deal with manga tropes, I don't think Maruo will win the tournament.

i dunno, like he's come so close so many times. seems like this'll be when he finally gets the match against Nabae in the final and finally wins.

The author also gave the setup of getting to go to the other 2 tournaments, including an international one, if he wins. Feels like it's being set up.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
honestly it feels to me like bringing up arbitrary things like post counts is sorta pointless and oddly passive aggressive. like, it's gonna make people self conscious, so it's hardly surprising they feel the need to justify themselves. by bringing it up you inherently make it sound like a bad thing.

it's fun to joke about wall of shame and stuff when we get to a new thread, but I wouldn't be surprised if people get a little defensive when you being it up. unless people are posting useless shit that people don't want to read constantly, why even bring up post numbers?

:/

Sure, if you're hyper-sensitive about anyone noting anything. Its just vaguely interesting because its somewhere on the scale of double the post rate of any of the previous 11 threads, but there's three people doing it.

I care far less about people posting a lot than I do about people posting giant lewd images.

dumbyugi

Hm. This got me thinking about what my first manga was...Probably something obvious like one of the big three.
Could only go up from there! :p

Anyone distinctly remember theirs?

Ironfist Chinmi was the first manga I ever read. It's pretty good. I should really start reading the sequel series sometime.

i dunno, like he's come so close so many times. seems like this'll be when he finally gets the match against Nabae in the final and finally wins.

The author also gave the setup of getting to go to the other 2 tournaments, including an international one, if he wins. Feels like it's being set up.

I think going from never playing tennis (or any other sport) to competing directly with the number one in Japan in such a short time seems like a bit of a stretch. Baby Steps seems a bit more grounded that that.

Dresden

Shonen manga died with Ace. One Piece hasn't returned to the God of Shonen peak in Marineford and no one else has stepped up to take the crown. There was a period of time where I thought Magi might be it, but it ended up drowning in its own vomit.

No wonder smut and shoujo have taken over.

I think going from never playing tennis (or any other sport) to competing directly with the number one in Japan in such a short time seems like a bit of a stretch. Baby Steps seems a bit more grounded that that.

I guess, but he took a set off him the last time and almost won.

Like, if he lost again it would be pretty ridiculous. there's not much closer he can get to winning than that.

Especially in such an important tournament, considering his future etc.

scy

Sure, if you're hyper-sensitive about anyone noting anything. Its just vaguely interesting because its somewhere on the scale of double the post rate of any of the previous 11 threads, but there's three people doing it.

Hm. From my perspective, it's most that it gets brought up fairly often and I don't quite get why it matters too much. I don't really care too much besides the few posts on the subject that actually did seem more "seriously, just stop posting" rather than "lol such posts."

The only thing pushing it towards a win is the whole promise with his family.

Which will almost 100% be resolved once they see him play so the win / lose won't matter (ergo, he'll lose).

kewlmyc

Shonen manga died with Ace. One Piece hasn't returned to the God of Shonen peak in Marineford and no one else has stepped up to take the crown. There was a period of time where I thought Magi might be it, but it ended up drowning in its own vomit.

Hopefully Magi goes back to ADVENTURES after this arc is over. The powerlevel bullshit at the end of the Hogwarts arc killed my enthusiasm for the series. The current Solomon arc isn't much better.

Angry Grimace

But Sasuke's a good guy again

Hm. From my perspective, it's most that it gets brought up fairly often and I don't quite get why it matters too much. I don't really care too much besides the few posts on the subject that actually did seem more "seriously, just stop posting" rather than "lol such posts."

The only thing pushing it towards a win is the whole promise with his family.

Which will almost 100% be resolved once they see him play so the win / lose won't matter (ergo, he'll lose).

Its like that every thread. You only notice it now because you got the crown.

Charade

Hopefully Magi goes back to ADVENTURES after this arc is over. The powerlevel bullshit at the end of the Hogwarts arc killed my enthusiasm for the series. The current Solomon arc isn't much better.

As someone who just read all of Magi (just finished about an hour ago) I did find it amusing that after the first 15 or so chapters I was like "oh, so this is gonna be like an adventure where they capture dungeons and stuff, cool!" Nope, not really.

scy

The beam spam though.

Its like that every thread. You only notice it now because you got the crown.

Oh. Maybe then. In which case, I'm dumb.

Angry Grimace

Is Fairy Tail fanservice-shonen, or does it count as smut-shonen?

Angry Grimace

I stopped reading it at some point when they literally stopped having a story or any kind of development other than showing us Lucy's tits and Erza's tits. Fanservice doesn't bother me that much, but there's a point at which its just softcore.

scy

I stopped seriously reading Fairy Tail around the Jellal arc. The first one. I basically look at it every time the thread mentions a chapter being extra stupid or whatever.

Tamanon

Banned
I think Shokugeki no Soma does a good job of not overusing smut. Only for foodgasms and not even all of them. Plus you even get Isshiki smut.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom