• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Peach Pluck

A transfer student appears and he ORAAAAAAAAAA!! on demons.

It wasn't a bad one shot. Kinda interesting especially with the whole take on the legend of Momotaro.

I can't be the only one who looked at that image and thought you were reading one piece.

Petit Petit Tantan Petit Tantan 24

NZZEzZw.png

The disappointment when you realize the collar isn't for you.

Charade

Lemonade 15

Have you guys ever not dropped something because it was such a quick read and you decided to tough it out until the end?

Love Lesson 1-3

drap continues to have some of the best artists and stories that just enver get bogged down in being too oppressive, or dark or anything. Just tons of happy feelings all around stemming from Ayami and Mineyuki teaching other how to love just in preparation for the movie they have to do and ending up truly developing feelings from each other. Shopping scene, movie dating, and even their attempt to confess true feelings made htis a really wonderful and sweet series. Even the drama isnt that bad, though saddening but I have hopes they can endure.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
A bit off-topic:

I just got in my hands all the books for the A Song of Ice and Fire series from A Game of Thrones all the way to A Dance With Dragons.

Never watched the show, not an avid TV watcher but I do like reading novels.

Don't know what to expect, but I am pretty excited to begin considering how famous this entire series is. I wonder how fast I can go through all the books, since I managed to finish all Lord of the Rings trilogy and Hunger Games trilogy in three days each..

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Those images above make me curious, on how many manga out there are aping Oda's style.
The series that are translated regularly? It's just a drop in the ocean compared to what's out there.

scy

But Lillith is still the best.

A bit off-topic:

I just got in my hands all the books for the A Song of Ice and Fire series from A Game of Thrones all the way to A Dance With Dragons.

Never watched the show, not an avid TV watcher but I do like reading novels.

Don't know what to expect, but I am pretty excited to begin considering how famous this entire series is. I wonder how fast I can go through all the books, since I managed to finish all Lord of the Rings trilogy and Hunger Games trilogy in three days each..

Mmmmm.

I sit here with a grin.

Charade

It looks like One Piece or Fairy Tail or Yamada-kun, lol.

That super similar style.

I wouldn't be surprised if the author was a former assistant to Mashima or something.

A bit off-topic:

Spoiler: everybody
who I've meet that read them really enjoyed them

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Spoiler: everybody
who I've meet that read them really enjoyed them

Jerk.

......Hahahaha. Good to know!

It's every kind of grin, really.

all sorts of emotions

Looking forward to all the grins then, hahaha.

April is a busy reading month for me, here's what I have in store in addition to the five books of A Song of Ice and Fire:

Lilith's Brood, a collection of three works of Xenogenesis by Octavia Butler.
Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons.
Hell House by Richard Matteson.
New Tales of the Ctulhu Mythos, edited by Ramsey Campbell
Night Shift by Stephen King
Nightmare and Dreamscapes by Stephen King
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks.

I am a bit overwhelmed, truth be told *phew* Gonna reduce my weekly manga time to make time for all of these books.

Marche90

Wagatsuma 88

Absurd problems keep piling on Aoshima. At least (I hope) he made the right choice on not chickening out of the Captain issue of the Volleyball team. Now to see what are the consequences of this...

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
One Piece is fantastic with grand/climax scenes/moments but I always thought its moment-to-moment transitions as weak: the stuff that happened before things start to go down, I mean.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece is fantastic with grand/climax scenes/moments but I always thought its moment-to-moment transitions as weak: the stuff that happened before things start to go down, I mean.

It's entertaining enough, but you are right. It is by design though. You can't have properly big moments without first laying the groundwork, if you don't lay the groundwork then you wind up like Naruto--big moments that feel silly or dumb because they just come out of nowhere.

Not every Berserk chapter is awesome, same with HxH, FMA or any of the other many series we all love the crap out of. There's always a difference between the hypest moment and the build up ones, we probably notice it more with One Piece due to how high the highs can be and the fact it's a weekly series.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
It's entertaining enough, but you are right. It is by design though. You can't have properly big moments without first laying the groundwork, if you don't lay the groundwork then you wind up like Naruto--big moments that feel silly or dumb because they just come out of nowhere.

Not every Berserk chapter is awesome, same with HxH, FMA or any of the other many series we all love the crap out of. There's always a difference between the hypest moment and the build up ones, we probably notice it more with One Piece due to how high the highs can be and the fact it's a weekly series.

Indeed.
Dressrosa has had a lot of build up, and the recent chapters with Kyros decapitating Doflamingo, Sabo eating the Flame Flame Fruit, and our lord and savior Usopp, generate immense levels of hype. Because it was all set up. That is the key to good storytelling.

kasane

Koimoki - END

pretty pointless to say the least. I dot think it'll be any better if it went on longer tho

Yeah but I don't really think Koimoku has any of that really.

Hard to do that, anyway, with all of 20 chapters.

I think i know at least 3 of his works that hints on ntr

scy

Koimoki - END

pretty pointless to say the least. I dot think it'll be any better if it went on longer tho

The only thing it really could have done was flesh out some bits here and there. Probably unnecessary, though, and better to put it out of it's misery quick.

I think i know at least 3 of his works that hints on ntr

I'll take note to just stay the fuck away.

kasane

The only thing it really could have done was flesh out some bits here and there. Probably unnecessary, though, and better to put it out of it's misery quick.

I'll take note to just stay the fuck away.

Eh it was putting so much emphasis on OZMA and the editor but it fell flat on its face.

Also anyone read immortal regis? I know there is a sequel but back when i read it i was confused as fuck. The first time was hype tho and when it ended i was mad at the heroine like crazy.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Well, what I meant was not "laying the groundwork is unnecessary" but more of "Oda's laying the groundwork moments are weak".

Also anyone read immortal regis? I know there is a sequel but back when i read it i was confused as fuck. The first time was hype tho and when it ended i was mad at the heroine like crazy.

I read it. Not interested in the sequel though. Pretty generic as far as fantasy manga... well, manwha, goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom