• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
I'd have to go with Isshiki too.

Ouji-sama Sama no Jijou
Now this was cute. Just a little cliched, but that's outweighed by the characters. I think I liked it because the guy is the main character, and therefore not infallible like male leads tend to be, and the girl is strong and just doesn't give a shit.

Also this panel was my favorite:
eYdJ3sr.jpg

edit: I should prob say what it's about. Otaku girl finds out that popular boy is also an otaku, and keeps it a secret in exchange for him to become a nominal member of her anime club which is on the verge of being disbanded. But then he falls for her and stuff.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Kashikomi Mousu!
Also cute. Cat girl comes to a shrine abandoned by god in order to become a spirit messenger, only to find a lazy priest and a narcissistic senpai. I liked them bonding together, and them fulfilling prayers in lieu of god, just wish that a romance angle wasn't forced. The senpai didn't get much focus at all either, but I guess there was no time for that in a oneshot.

kasane

Kashikomi Mousu!
Also cute. Cat girl comes to a shrine abandoned by god in order to become a spirit messenger, only to find a lazy priest and a narcissistic senpai. I liked them bonding together, and them fulfilling prayers in lieu of god, just wish that a romance angle wasn't forced. The senpai didn't get much focus at all either, but I guess there was no time for that in a oneshot.
Was interesting until i read it was a oneshot. No time to develop things at all

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Was interesting until i read it was a oneshot. No time to develop things at all
Yup. Although if you want a series like that, I'm pretty sure Noragami covers those bases.

Mask Catharsis
This was a decent oneshot whose only remarkable trait was that its male lead was refreshingly hammy and its female lead was refreshingly cold, but then the last page made it amazing. Holy shit this girl.

scy

Going through all the one shots I see :x

I think I'll do that later tonight. I only remember Souma-kun off the top of my head.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Going through all the one shots I see :x

I think I'll do that later tonight. I only remember Souma-kun off the top of my head.
You caught me. To be fair, these oneshots were much better than the actual series, so that's why I kept going. I think Souma-kun is the only one I read before.

Also, I think the only reason I really liked these one shots was that they were either a) romance from a male perspective that isn't harem b) featuring a cold or strong female lead.

Charade

I imagine it would be Isshiki.

Hm. Good choice.
SoIsshi?

My Girlfriend by Minase Ruruu

Bookish/loner girl gets crushed on by popular girl, who uses her looks to "distract" the guys in class away from loner girl. I think I've seen it all now, lol. Cute I guess, definitely got a little super interesting at the end. Not as good as some of Minase Ruruu's other stuff though.

Robotics;Notes - Revival Legacy 04

I really wonder what's so different of this from the original story cause right now it's pretty much doing the same kinda boring things.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Hyakunen Renbo END

The story was kinda whatever, but honestly all I needed was watching Eva and louis acting cute together.

I think I need to reread kaichou maid sama. I miss misaki. :(

Aizo

Banned
So... I mentioned that I'm reading through all the recommendations I got from you guys a few months ago, right?

You guys... really like sexual stuff, huh? I don't mind, because I like art, but the more graphic (read: violent or grotesque) depictions are not for me.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
So... I mentioned that I'm reading through all the recommendations I got from you guys a few months ago, right?

You guys... really like sexual stuff, huh? I don't mind, because I like art, but the more graphic (read: violent or grotesque) depictions are not for me.

Do you want some non-violent and non-grotesque recommendations now? :p

Saiku Kusuo no Psi Nan 11
BlbS9XtCMAAfZ1r.png

Two chapters in one month wow. But it was a Jet Black Wing (Kaidou) chapter which made it incredible. Specifically since he got to fully display himself and participate in funny antics.

Also love the rune speak and the dark reunion logo, Saiki kusuo does so much for him.

bigkrev

Manga News/Discussion IOTI You guys... really like the sexual stuff, huh?

Aizo

Banned
Helter Skelter
Wow. That was an intense read. I had my doubts at the beginning, but that was really interesting. I would've liked to see more of Hada's development near the end, but that was a very smart story.
Do you want some non-violent and non-grotesque recommendations now? :p
Nah. I've got enough recommendations to sift through. I've only dropped a couple.
Manga News/Discussion IOTI You guys... really like the sexual stuff, huh?
Some of the pages can be summed up this way.

dramatis

Bokura no Kiseki 1-current

Schemes, mystery, and supernatural complications.

It's a surprisingly interesting read. If stated with the premise "a guy thinks he is the reincarnation of a princess", obviously to smutgaf there will be nothing but imaginations in the gutter. But the manga itself is not smutty at all, and is instead a slow-paced, heavy-duty drama. The beginning is a bit rough and not so well put together, but once the story hits its stride, the characters and plot move smoothly.

I think what is best about the kind of scheming and plotting that goes on between the characters in this story in particular, is that the motivations do not boil down to simple boredom or greed or even power.

Too bad it's a bimonthly, the wait will be long...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I lost it

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

like or love?

scy

Well, super interesting is better than normal interesting. It's in the name.

Lasboss x Hero 12 - Trolling level has gone up.

At least it looks like she'll survive.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
So why is it that only like 3 or 5 characters are actually fighting any more in Naruto?

I seem to recall the hokages erecting a barrier of some sort but I think that was like 100 chapters ago. I don't think anyone has been "locked out" of fighting or assisting in fighting for a long time. Yet everyone is just standing by.

You would think Hinata would, after tripping, continue to rush to Naruto's aid. And Shikamaru would devise some sort of plan, and, as one of the commanders of the shinobi forces, bring the army with him.

Or something.

Erigu

So why is it that only like 3 or 5 characters are actually fighting any more in Naruto?
Kishimoto suddenly remembered about Yamato and figured "hey, I could have that one spiraly Zetsu from Obito's flashback show up from somewhere and possess Yamato! because, of course, Yamato and one Zetsu would be enough to stop the whole shinobi world minus a few characters!"
Then he promptly forgot about Yamato once again.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Kishimoto suddenly remembered about Yamato and figured "hey, I could have that one spiraly Zetsu from Obito's flashback show up from somewhere and possess Yamato! because, of course, Yamato and one Zetsu would be enough to stop the whole shinobi world minus a few characters!"
Then he promptly forgot about Yamato once again.

I still want to know if Killer Bee is dead or what? Why doesn't Naruto go save him instead of just Guy?

Charade

Lasboss x Hero 12

Okay now I'm confused, but I'll roll with it, haha. Seems to me like the mystery dude (editor guy?) is really the one in charge and he just turned her into the demon lord. So she isn't really one, I guess? We'll see though...

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo 421-442

Huh, so this is the build-up, Shimabukuro's characterization and Ippo's extreme stamina training that the Rising anime skipped. It really is a shame we got to see none of this because without these moments, Shimabukuro's fight seems so much more like a filler match, even if it isn't. Also, Iimura becoming interested in Ippo in less-than-professional way makes a teeny bit more sense with the scene where Ippo accidentally undresses everything at the weigh-ins and shows the entire boxing press his "python", as Shimabukuro puts it.

I guess Aoki's title match is up next.
xiQArvQ.jpg

God damn Takamura, that's the mother of all burns

Edit: I've also noticed that I'm having a harder and harder time putting this down for even a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom