• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seraph of the End 16
tumblr_n4e8kykms01qbxqfpo1_1280.png

I had never realized or noticed that both girls were different, or maybe just never paid attention considering all the main attraction gets in this. Care a bit more for Hiragi than Sangu, way more personality on that front.

Yuu ideals are good and pure even when people push their own desires onto him. Hopefully he keeps Guren as an ally in the future, as Im guessing thats the direction the story is going since Yuu probably wouldnt ever do anything to his friends like that.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia 1-47 / 29-47 new (END)
Welp. Guess that's that. I have a new favourite finished series.

In all fairness, I read 59.574% of this back in 2011-12 and already had it pegged as one of my favourites then, so my feelings towards it now aren't hugely surprising.

It's easy to see why I enjoyed it so much. I've always had an affinity for ghost stories with an element of mystery to them, which is basically what this series was about from start to finish. Many of the sub arcs were effectively episodic examinations of human weakness, something I'm also partial to. The art was some of my all-time favourite, not solely because of its general quality, but also because of the fitting sense of foreboding it created through its heaviness / liberal use of darkness. And while there weren't any truly exceptional characters in the cast (though Yuuko came close), I was fond of all the main characters and even a handful of the side characters, particularly not-Yuuko for her vindictiveness and methodology.

I wouldn't say there were any particularly shocking twists in the plot (I'm excluding the main ending here for... reasons), but what did blow me away was the intensity and general skill with which some of the developments were handled. Special mention goes to the chapter focusing on Yuuko after she was cast into the underground shrine, which was absolutely gutwrenching and may well be my favourite chapter from any manga I've read. Actually, I'm reasonably certain I shed more manly tears throughout this series than I have in every other one I've read put together (though that's more attributable to the fact that manga very rarely get that kind of reaction out of me, even the more supposedly tragic ones).

So yeah, in summary I'm exceptionally glad I chose to finish this as a celebration of sorts for my 1000th read. Now to get back to reading shit once my eyes start functioning properly again.

I love Tasogare to no end. Nothing comes close to it for me, by far my absolute favourite manga I've read.

It's incredible how well shadow-Yuuko is done. She's such a creepy creature, something that the anime doesn't really get across too well. Agree on the use of black, and most of the really good use of black revolves around shadow-Yuuko.

I'd put Yuuko down as a great character. Not only is she funny, charming, adorable etc., but she goes through stunning character growth with shadow-Yuuko used as a really strong device for driving that forward, as well as Teiichi. She faces all her negative emotions, including her anger, fear, jealousy and loneliness head on when she really needs to.

And yeah, the art is stunning. it's one of those where the overall quality is really high, but it's also one where you constantly want to link specific pages to people as you're reading, just to say "whoah, look at this page. so damn good".

And man, the feels. So many feels.

I'll give the same recommendation as I do to others, at least watch episode 12 of the anime. It's probably the one part of it that the anime gets better than the manga, although the anime as a whole is still really good. Not as dark, but has an amazing soundtrack and really good voice acting. Yuuko is just incredible.

Also should thank Battleship since it was Battleship that actually recommended it to me after I read Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari.

Akito

A Girl by the Sea v2 (end)
Welp, so that happened. I wish the ending was a little more conclusive but well, it's Asano we're talking about here. Still worth it for all dat suffering.

Charade

it already has

Noooooooooooooooooo
™

Kyou no Asuka Show 25

Ah, the infamous "we can't decide what to do so we waste our time doing nothing instead" dilemma. But Asuka saves the day yet again!
Costigan-kun, I know you're currently raging over reading OMK, but this series seems like something right up your alley.

Kyou no Asuka Show 25

Ah, the infamous "we can't decide what to do so we waste our time doing nothing instead" dilemma. But Asuka saves the day yet again!
Costigan-kun, I know you're currently raging over reading OMK, but this series seems like something right up your alley.

I'll keep it in mind, cheers bud :)

Yu-Gi-Oh! Zexal 41
tumblr_n4ebz39sba1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Dokidokishipping makes a return here with not only these two panels and more. Nice turn of events and pretty intense duel with the usual 1LP scenario that seems to be extremely common in the universe. Both Kaito and Yuma with 1LP able to still pull out spell and trap cards and even XYZ summon at this point of the game definitely still makes it feel like final match. I dont think there is anything else beyond this though. Ill miss it.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia
I love Tasogare to no end. Nothing comes close to it for me, by far my absolute favourite manga I've read.

It's incredible how well shadow-Yuuko is done. She's such a creepy creature, something that the anime doesn't really get across too well. Agree on the use of black, and most of the really good use of black revolves around shadow-Yuuko.

I'd put Yuuko down as a great character. Not only is she funny, charming, adorable etc., but she goes through stunning character growth with shadow-Yuuko used as a really strong device for driving that forward, as well as Teiichi. She faces all her negative emotions, including her anger, fear, jealousy and loneliness head on when she really needs to.

And yeah, the art is stunning. it's one of those where the overall quality is really high, but it's also one where you constantly want to link specific pages to people as you're reading, just to say "whoah, look at this page. so damn good".

And man, the feels. So many feels.

I'll give the same recommendation as I do to others, at least watch episode 12 of the anime. It's probably the one part of it that the anime gets better than the manga, although the anime as a whole is still really good. Not as dark, but has an amazing soundtrack and really good voice acting. Yuuko is just incredible.

Also should thank Battleship since it was Battleship that actually recommended it to me after I read Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari.
MY BROTHER. The only other series I've read to date that has a shot at surpassing it is Screaming Lessons (which I can't recommend with anywhere near the same conviction as Tasogare, since it's, uh, more of an acquired taste).

I should clarify that I did think Yuuko was an excellent character! If she hadn't been as radiant and likable as she was then the story wouldn't have affected me as much as it did. By "truly exceptional" I was talking something like top 10 status, and while I'm happy to sing Yuuko's praises, I wouldn't quite put her on that high a pedestal.

The art was what initially stood out to me when I first picked this up, though now I appreciate that it's just one part of an overall amazing package. One of the reasons I'm less enthusiastic about Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari is because it's evidently not the same kind of story, and I'll miss the deliberate art techniques used to create Tasogare's frequently ominous atmosphere

I ordered the anime from the US a few days ago in anticipation of finishing this, because it's my only real alternative without the manga being published in English. Will probably wait a while before watching it, because I'd rather let the story fade from my mind a bit so that it feels slightly fresher.

The thanking is mutual, since you partially inspired me to finish it off. Well, that and I was scared shitless about stumbling across an ending spoiler here, particularly when you and Save 'N Quit were discussing it.

Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

MY BROTHER. The only other series I've read to date that has a shot at surpassing it is Screaming Lessons (which I can't recommend with anywhere near the same conviction as Tasogare, since it's, uh, more of an acquired taste).

I should clarify that I did think Yuuko was an excellent character! If she hadn't been as radiant and likable as she was then the story wouldn't have affected me as much as it did. By "truly exceptional" I was talking something like top 10 status, and while I'm happy to sing Yuuko's praises, I wouldn't quite put her on that high a pedestal.

The art was what initially stood out to me when I first picked this up, though now I appreciate that it's just one part of an overall amazing package. One of the reasons I'm less enthusiastic about Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari is because it's evidently not the same kind of story, and I'll miss the deliberate art techniques used to create Tasogare's frequently ominous atmosphere

I ordered the anime from the US a few days ago in anticipation of finishing this, because it's my only real alternative without the manga being published in English. Will probably wait a while before watching it, because I'd rather let the story fade from my mind a bit so that it feels slightly fresher.

The thanking is mutual, since you partially inspired me to finish it off. Well, that and I was scared shitless about stumbling across an ending spoiler here, particularly when you and Save 'N Quit were discussing it.

Yeah I need to get around to ordering it, but the Blu-ray was never released over here so i gotta import from America :/ Expensive.

In the meantime, I'll be bugging the hell out of Yen Press to try and get an English translated version of the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom