• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTE| Thought it was a smut paradise, it was shounen hell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I need to get around to ordering it, but the Blu-ray was never released over here so i gotta import from America :/ Expensive.

In the meantime, I'll be bugging the hell out of Yen Press to try and get an English translated version of the manga.
For what it's worth, I'm a UK'er and was able to import it pretty cheaply via Amazon. Did it for the same reason you're thinking of (no blu-ray release here).

I'm already planning on sending dead animals to Yen Press to 'persuade' them to localise the Date A Live LNs. Guess I need to send twice as many now.

Rhapsody

Banned
Oh hey, Rhapsody. If you don't mind me asking, what are your favorite mangas? I got yelled at last time by the True Singularity™ for not asking you :D
I tend to have generic tastes. Favorites for battles would be FMA and OP. Serious would be Punpun and Onani Master. Sports would be Eyeshield, Touch, and Cross Game. Slice of life would be Ah My Goddess, although I know there's better.

Nordicus

Hajime no Ippo 725-745

Okay, after Itagaki weirdly turning into Wally FUCKING West during his fight with Hoshi Hiroyuki, Ippo's fight with Jimmy Sisphar also seems to be signaling a new turn for Hajime no Ippo. A turn which I was warned about.

I'm a little afraid these fights are turning more and more ridiculous and shonen, I can smell a bit of shark-jumping in the air. Itagaki's fight was already bad enough because a fight that had karate-infused boxing techniques could have been somewhat interesting but that was ended in a single round.

66Gqv5Q.jpg
Jimmy Sisphar, since defeated by Miyata and his Jolt Counter, has become a religious nutjob with brain damage who has fought an obscene amount of matches in a short time, beat every single one of them by KO, and has adopted a very simplistic, self-destructive fighting style that has given him numerous scars on his head, giving him the new nickname "Scratch J".

He fights with god damn bullrushes and wide powerful swings that use his whole body strength and are called "Fists of God". So slow, so predictable, and this dude manages to score 30+ wins with it. This new and "improved" Jimmy Sisphar would be awesome and manly as fuck IF this weren't Hajime no Ippo. The fight was somewhat entertaining, but GTFO with that cartoony bullshit!

It was nice that Ippo used shoulderblock and avoided a blow by dodging forward to not get hit by the full force of the swing, but much of this fight was just silly even by Hajime no Ippo standards.

Sure, the next match has FLOWCHART TAKAMURA, but that's played for laughs

Charade

Where is your avatar from? Art looks familiar, the hair especially.

Fushigi na Shounen by Yamashita Kazumi. She has a lot of other works, but I think this is the only one that has been translated (I don't think anything else has been licensed either?).

I read it recently so I'm probably more biased towards it, but it's one of my favorites. Just hits all the right notes for me.

Nordicus

I can't wait for the other circus show matches then :x
"Circus show" is right, even only this far. I have no doubts Jimmy Sisphar's fight could look AMAZING if animated, but it'd also be all style no substance.

This match is even more disappointing when I look back at the Sawamura vs Mashiba fight and there was more careful thought put into the first exchange of punches in that fight than this whole match.

scy

"Circus show" is right, even only this far. I have no doubts Jimmy Sisphar's fight could look AMAZING if animated, but it'd also be all style no substance.

This match is even more disappointing when I look back at the Sawamura vs Mashiba fight and there was more careful thought put into the first exchange of punches in that fight than this whole match.

Well, I'll just wait for the rest of the impressions. Don't want to say much.

From a "flash" perspective, I like the Jimmy match but it went on a bit too long for something as simple as "he dashes at you a lot." It sure is dumb, though, and feels like something that should have happened earlier in the series (like, say, when the Dempsey Roll was first shown) and not something that's supposed to be high level.

survivor

Banned
Fushigi na Shounen by Yamashita Kazumi. She has a lot of other works, but I think this is the only one that has been translated (I don't think anything else has been licensed either?).

I read it recently so I'm probably more biased towards it, but it's one of my favorites. Just hits all the right notes for me.
Thanks. Guess I must have seen a picture of it before cause I haven't read this. Might as well add it to the backlog.

R.I.P in Peace Megumi Tadokoro

*Disclaimer

*the following R.I.P post is a reply to the above posts.

This is not a spoiler at all.... I don't know the outcome, as I've never read the raw.

I am not responsible for any hearts being broken from the following post and am not liable to pay for damages.

Note: She will likely use in the end anyway... unless there is a major flashback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom